Rejected Robbing banks & Criminality

Shall Robbing Banks and Criminal Elements be brought to the West?

• Yes,

Votes: 58 65.2%
  • No,

Votes: 31 34.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

banks

i think that it would be ok to rob banks as long as its just abandoned cause its not fair to rob ones that have people in it

DeletedUser

I think it's arrogant to criticize a person for dismissing the whole idea of bringing bank robbery into the game just because they don't like it. That's what the poll is for. You vote Yes if you like the idea and No if you don't...simple as that.

How long does it take you to make a couple thousand? The average profit i get from clearing forest is 500, a little bit more for silver mining. So if I have 100% motivation initially, I could make well over 1800 in 8 hrs. I have no idea how you reached the conclusion that we'd be destroying weeks or months worth of work for a single person. We're only taking money. And its a little bit from every person.

It can take a new player a long time to make that kind of money. This game is to some very real when it comes to slaving over a computer to raise enough game money to build a town or purchase the right clothing for the game.

Introducing bank robbery into the game at this point makes no sense unless the banks robbed are from participating towns. Why rob those who want no part in this feature just to fill the pockets of those that do.

DeletedUser

The twitter page for the west left this note in: W4: The town of Ghost has been robbed, looks like that New Yorker made it out with $20,000 dollars. Better tell the sheriff!

Its only world 4 specific though.

DeletedUser

after I've chewed on the idea, it's pretty nice, adds more realism to the time for bank robberies or so*falls braindead*]

~~~DETAILED~~~

DeletedUser

@http://forum.the-west.net/member.php?u=22792Aquaquarius

" I think it's arrogant to criticize a person for dismissing the whole idea of bringing bank robbery into the game just because they don't like it. That's what the poll is for. You vote Yes if you like the idea and No if you don't...simple as that. "

For a moment I had misinterpreted your statement. But now that I understand, yes I agree. Considering that the ultimate decision of whether or not the feature is implemented is entirely subjective, then you're right. But when trying to analyze and address any potential flaw that exists within the feature, to raise the argument that it will make a person feel bad- that's entirely irrelevant. Doesn't losing a duel make you feel bad? Doesn't losing a fort make you feel bad? Yet these features have been implemented because they expand the depth of the game. This is just another depth enhancing feature, nothing more, nothing less. This will make you no more miserable then losing a fort fight. In fact, it should hurt less, depending on the size of the town.

And why would you rob a town with new players? The risk will still remain high even if you rob a new town. Obviously a town consisting of a hand full of new players will not have much money.

DeletedUser

It doesn't matter how much money you make. The amount of money you make is proportional to how much you could lose. If you make a lot of money you will lose a lot if you don't make a lot you wont lose a lot. It would be interesting to see the vote if this idea was changed a little bit and not being able to rob directly from peoples bank.

DeletedUser

You know, we (builders, etc.) wont actually buy goods instead of banking money just to avoid the posibility of theft. Buying goods to safeguard money you plan to liquidate later when you need cash for immidiate use, costs 50% net loss in wealth. The robber is stealing ~20% of the banked wealth, so it is still more economical to bank the money and risk a 20% loss than it is to buy items and guarentee a 50% loss.

On the subject of realism, and folk worried about loosing there own money, I'm not sure when in history this began but I do remember seeing it in a western.

Insurance.

The bank is already deducting processing fees for something. A bank which is (federally?)insured, when robbed counts as money stolen from the government, as the money taken is replaced by the government that the bank can meet it's responsabilities to the clients even in the event of theft.

A town can pay insurance instead/in addition to bank vault improvement so money obtained from the bank can still be same percent of player money in the bank, but players don't actually loose money.

I agree though that if players have nothing on the line, there will be no impetus to hire permanent defence/soldier/cops, posse's etc., so some loss would be neccesary to drive ...I don't know, plot?

@admin guy,
In context, I wonder if origional proposal "buy a house" actualy meant new feature, or was simply a translation error in language, and he meant "Buy a room" (Stay in the hotel room to do the job during those hours). I.E. the gang must actually be in the town to do the job, staying in the town for it, not just arriving by signpost.

DeletedUser

if you saying that the bank will give you back all your money then ill vote for this. Now I don't want a guy to rob a bank and take all my money.

DeletedUser

broghamzvatox

Ice Hawk said it well! It doesn't matter how much money you make. The amount of money you make is proportional to how much you could lose. You're belittling players intelligence by your statement that it's only a small amount of money.

Your question about "why robbing towns with new players" is irrelevant to the situation, as new players are robbed everyday. I've seen it! Bigger players prey on smaller players just to line their west pockets. Bank Robbery is just another step in that brutality. And I never stated that bank robbery would make people "feel bad" as you quoted. I only stated that this poll is brought forward for people who like or dislike the idea. And that is what we are voting on...whether or not we like the idea.

Losing a fort or dueling would probably make the player 'feel bad' as you put it. But that's irrelevant. I only duel duelers. I don't pick on workers or greenhorns. I was mistaken in the beginning when I took on adventurers as well, but have then since ceased attacking them, because I realized that they are not included in the duelling group. So duelers are prepared to 'feel bad'.

Bringing Bank Robbery into the west game is not prudent at this time. It may eventually, but I hope that will be done gradually. For instance, safe measures should be introduced to each and every player. Town leaders should be taught the procedure for protecting their money in the event. Each town should be equipped with an active Sheriff on patrol. It's just too early, as I said before. Each and every player was not alerted about this poll.

DeletedUser

Shephrd10FH,

You're wrong! I have already begun purchasing instead of banking. And there is absolutely No guarantee that the bank in this game will give back any part of money lost. Besides this is the old west. FDIC did not exist at this time. That was established after so many banks robberies had cleared out accounts.

Aquaquarius

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

It doesn't matter how much money you make. The amount of money you make is proportional to how much you could lose.

If apprehended,
the thief will lose all money. Including funds present in the bank (legal fees). This is necessary considering the harm the thief could have inflicted upon the victims.

Your question about "why robbing towns with new players" is irrelevant to the situation, as new players are robbed everyday.

New Players are robbed every day, in the form of duels, because its easier to duel new players. It won't be any easier to rob new players, than experienced players as I mentioned previously. Because all of their funds are concentrated in a town bank, the security of the bank defines the difficulty of the robbery not the experience of the individual players. Players will be able to donate resources and/or time to make it more difficult to rob the bank. And I will state for the dozenth time, we are not robbing individuals, but banks, and depending on the amount of time invested that will define what portion of the entire population's wealth the band of robbers will take; i.e. 1 minute- 10% of every player; 2 minutes- 20% of every player, etc. And the more time spent makes it more difficult to escape.

And that is what we are voting on...whether or not we like the idea.

Agreed we are voting on whether we like the idea. But we are arguing over clear flaws present within the proposal. Whether or not an individual likes the idea should be concluded by the flaws present, not in superficial or uneducated speculations.

I only duel duelers.

This is not about you. The possibility and option exists for you to duel workers and adventurers. Your decision to not duel workers or adventurers is a result of your moral guideline. Just as if this robbery proposal were implemented you might choose not to rob small towns because their defenses might not be well developed. I know of numerous duelers who attack workers and adventurers alike. There is absolutely no reason that an individual should not attack workers or adventurers except as a result of instigating a war with the town they are targeting. You can prepare to "feel bad" when we implement robbery.

Bringing Bank Robbery into the west game is not prudent at this time. It may eventually, but I hope that will be done gradually. For instance, safe measures should be introduced to each and every player. Town leaders should be taught the procedure for protecting their money in the event. Each town should be equipped with an active Sheriff on patrol. It's just too early, as I said before. Each and every player was not alerted about this poll.

Of course! People will be prepared. Just as people found out about fort battles months before it was implemented, so shall people discover this feature. The safety measures to be implemented can be numerous or few as decided by the developers. Ultimately, no one should fear a robbery any more than a duel, if not less. Just think about it! A duel could potentially take your life! A robbery merely takes a minute portion of your funds!

DeletedUser

As I have stated before, you ARE robbing players when you rob their town banks. The fact that the money is in their banks does not take away from the fact that it belongs to them since they can purchase with it. Banks did not give back stolen money in the old west. And I will state for the dozenth time, we are not robbing individuals, but banks, and depending on the amount of time invested that will define what portion of the entire population's wealth the band of robbers will take; i.e. 1 minute- 10% of every player; 2 minutes- 20% of every player, etc. And the more time spent makes it more difficult to escape. That is redundant.

This is not about you. No, this is about everyone....everyone and the security of their town and property.

And I continually stress, Bringing Bank Robbery into the west game is not prudent at this time. It may eventually, but I hope that will be done gradually. For instance, safe measures should be introduced to each and every player. Town leaders should be taught the procedure for protecting their money in the event. Each town should be equipped with an active Sheriff on patrol. It's just too early, as I said before. Each and every player was not alerted about this poll.

Irony: A robbery merely takes a minute portion of your funds! So you are notating that a bank robbery is taking from the pockets of all players....Minute or not.

DeletedUser

This idea is going to get sent back for more modification. I suggest that you take this opportunity to take out robbing from individual peoples banks.

Deleted User - 1278415

View Poll Results: Shall Robbing Banks and Criminal Elements be brought to the West?
Yes, lets round up the gang!
bar2-l.gif
bar2.gif
bar2-r.gif
clear.gif
58 57.43%
No, terrible idea too hard to implement.
bar3-l.gif
bar3.gif
bar3-r.gif
clear.gif
31 30.69%
Maybe, but it just needs more work.
bar4-l.gif
bar4.gif
bar4-r.gif
clear.gif
12 11.88%

Voters: 101. This poll is closed

Very impressive to have 101 people to vote in 2 weeks time.
You will have 1 last chance to edit your idea and take in the criticsm that was left and modify it to make the masses happy or not happy.

After 1 week I will put a YES/NO vote on it. Your idea must gather 80% of the vote in a 1 week time period.

DeletedUser

Hey Good feather I was just wondering. People change their ideas and modify the first post. Is there a way to change your vote after you already voted because someone modified their post?

Deleted User - 1278415

Since the polls are anonymous... I wouldnt know who voted for what... and if you voted yes and told me to change your no vote to yes... you would be essentially voting yes twice.

So the answer is no i don't modify poll #'s. I enter in 14 days to end and let em be. If I could lock the thread and still have it voted on I would do that.

DeletedUser

No im saying polls in general should have an option to change your vote. But it should be regulated.

DeletedUser

Fentom hasn't posted in a while it would be a shame if this idea never got edited.

DeletedUser25233

Very imaginative, and cleverly thought out and presented, but I would strongly oppose such an idea unless the chance of success was much much lower and the penalty for failure much much harsher, and the means of defending a small to middling sized town's bank was much much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.