Pascal's Wager

DeletedUser13682

Using your reasoning John, we could call your post,
God didn't create jack.
trolling.

I agree. Pascal's Wager is not a very good thing to go on. As I said before, there are too many variables. I say follow what you believe in, and if you're right, you're right. If not, then oh well. At least you can say that you chose something.

DeletedUser

That's why i repeat again and again , we dont any reason or reward to believe in God.

I believe because i just want to believe, i dont care what you think about me :D

Yes , it is irrational, but l like it :)

Why do you want believe? BECAUSE THE BIBLE SAYS SO!

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
That's why i repeat again and again , we dont any reason or reward to believe in God.

I believe because i just want to believe, i dont care what you think about me :D

Yes , it is irrational, but l like it :)

Wanting to believe something wont affect if you actually believe something or not.

DeletedUser

Next nashy will try to convince us that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy aren't real.

DeletedUser

Why do you want believe? BECAUSE THE BIBLE SAYS SO!

Ok, plx tell me who wrote the BIBLE ?
And why do you know BIBLE says so ?

You must saw the BIBLE by yourself , right ?
Then you make your own decision to believe, so it means you choose to believe.

:D

Wanting to believe something wont affect if you actually believe something or not.

Aha, yes, it is true.
But when i said i want to believe, then i also mean i actually believe. :D

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
Next nashy will try to convince us that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy aren't real.

The tooth fairy clearly exists:

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Obvious fairy is obvious
A Book
This article

Interestingly enough there's a lot of people that claim to have had experiences with fairies. :eek:: Not as many as those claiming experiences with Yahweh though, which obviously suggests that fairies are really really good at hiding.

Bad evidence I must admit, but it's evidence none the less

:D

Last edited:

DeletedUser13682

Photoshop, leaves on a moneky corpse, glare from something or photoshop, ditto, fiction, and wikipedia spinoff article.

DeletedUser

Some scenarios
Vengeful omniscient deity, i.e. like the one in the Old Testament: He would know you don't really believe and are just trying to hedge your bets. In showing your completely lack of respect and true piety, you would clearly be condemned to Hell.

I love this one, too.
Besides, would "God" want followers that were just "hedging their bets" or followers that truly loved it? Using Pascal's Wager, you only get the former.

One more possibility: atheists and Christians are wrong. There is a god, but not the one that the Christians believe in, but he's just as jealous and vengeful as the one in the Old Testament. To all you Christians out there: we'll see you in Hell.
Yeah, I used that one, too. Only I added in the twist that he's so jealous, he would rather you not believe in any "God" or set of gods than to believe in a false "God" or set of gods.

Christians go to hell.
Atheists go to heaven.

Photoshop, leaves on a moneky corpse, glare from something or photoshop, ditto, fiction, and wikipedia spinoff article.

Have I got a half-eaten, moldy cheese sandwich for you...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Adelei immediately presents the most important flaw in Pascal's wager, which is that it is a wager, a bet, a gamble. It is to state, "let me choose to Believe because Believing provides the best chance for personal gain."

Then stop believing. If there is no reward or reason, then use your mental energies on something else. Something concrete, tangible, real.

I believe because i just want to believe, i dont care what you think about me. Yes , it is irrational, but l like it
Of course you want to believe. Fear motivates you to avoid accepting the alternative; the cold harsh reality of mortality.

Ok, plx tell me who wrote the BIBLE ?
And why do you know BIBLE says so ?
Men wrote the scriptures; the Bible. It is men who tell you these stories, and it is these stories that sooth your insecurities, give you a false purpose, a false reason for continued existence. The alternative is to recognize you are a complex living organism whose purpose is to procreate and then die. The alternative is to accept the cold reality of mortality. It is readily apparent, examples every day, in every way, all around, and yet you prefer to believe in something told to you in stories, by other men who could not face, who were not brave enough to accept, their own mortality.

DeletedUser

My plan is to scream "God forgive me!" in as many languages as I possibly can right before I die. That way, I can continue to live my life the way I am, I can appeal to all faiths, and I don't have to worry about going to hell if there is a hell!

Problem solved. You all lose.

DeletedUser

My plan is to scream "God forgive me!" in as many languages as I possibly can right before I die. That way, I can continue to live my life the way I am, I can appeal to all faiths, and I don't have to worry about going to hell if there is a hell!

Problem solved. You all lose.
Wait a minute, when did language = faith?

If you meant faiths, the mass wager (a chip on every number) doesn't work, because most religions hold to the "one faith" argument. I.e., you put all your chips on one number, their number, or you lose.

DeletedUser

The thing is you can never know which language god speaks, so I figure if I yell in every language, he'll get the message. The other screaming will just sound like noise to him, probably because I'm dying.

DeletedUser

God doesn't believe in deaf people, which are people obviously born of sin.

DeletedUser1105

VenomfangX (the most popular youtube preacher) said that amputees don't deserve their arms and legs.

Reminds me of the Glenn Hoddle situation back in 1999. (For those who don't know, GH was the England football team manager at the time, and used to be an excellent footballer)

He had ruled out resigning over his comments in last Saturday's Times, interpreted as suggesting disabled people were being made to pay for the sins of past lives.

"You and I have been physically given two hands and two legs and half-decent brains," he was quoted as saying.

"Some people have not been born like that for a reason. The karma is working from another lifetime.

"I have nothing to hide about that. It is not only people with disabilities. What you sow, you have to reap."

DeletedUser

Adelei immediately presents the most important flaw in Pascal's wager, which is that it is a wager, a bet, a gamble. It is to state, "let me choose to Believe because Believing provides the best chance for personal gain."

If you call 48 posts into the thread "immediately"...

But, personally I think the "most important flaw" of the wager is that logically it doesn't even work! We don't have a bet between two options ("God" or no "God"), but between an infinite number of possibilities.