Terrorism

DeletedUser

*Sigh* You will never understand my viewpoint Adeliei, so lets stop this nonsense before this gets out of hand like the other fourms.

DeletedUser

As to your initial question, yes terrorism is always evil to those who it is practiced against. To those who practice terrorism it isn't seen as evil but as a necessity.

Thus the question was answered, and we can safely state:
/thread

*Sigh* You will never understand my viewpoint Adeliei, so lets stop this nonsense before this gets out of hand like the other fourms.

I will not even try to understand your views until you format your posts.

DeletedUser

Thus the question was answered, and we can safely state:
/thread
Wait a minute.
Is terrorism always evil?
Unless you mean "evil" in the theological sense, I feel comfortable saying terrorism is an evil, just as war is an evil. The question then becomes, is terrorism ever justified?

I guess that would depend on whether or not one believes the ends justify the means. And how one answers that question, on a given issue, effectively places them on a relative scale from moderate to radical. I don't know if terrorism is ever justified, but if one's goal is to escalate/perpetuate a conflict, it's clearly an effective means of converting moderates, on both sides, into radicals.

That's why groups like Al Qaeda have no love for moderates like Obama. It's not because they perceive him to be weak, on the contrary. It's because the image Obama projects, with his even handed rhetoric, unflappable demeanor, and sage policies represents a real threat to the longevity of their movement. Whereas Bush/Cheney, on the other hand, only served to justify their heinous acts, essentially by outdoing them in terms of civilian casualties and the wide-spread use of torture.

Okay, /thread

DeletedUser

I have two problems with the premise to these discussions: Terrorism and Evil.

Evil is a relative term, utilized for whatever purpose that suits the person who claims the "righteous" path.

Terrorism is an opportunistic term, utilized by the victor, or the greater power, to define the actions of a weaker power as uncivilized, cruel, monstrous, etc.

Terrorism is no more than the little guy fighting, using unconventional means, because conventional means would not obtain a win. When the goal is to win, the means by which that goal is obtained often becomes irrelevant. It is in the hands of the victor that justification and collateral damage are used to whitewash the means.

And thus I leave this thread.

DeletedUser

Wait a minute.

Unless you mean "evil" in the theological sense, I feel comfortable saying terrorism is an evil, just as war is an evil. The question then becomes, is terrorism ever justified?
Which theological position shall we take upon us to discuss.
For that matter, wich faith shall we use?

I guess that would depend on whether or not one believes the ends justify the means.
That would be an ethical question.

And how one answers that question, on a given issue, effectively places them on a relative scale from moderate to radical.
Or in a certin group of ethical philosophy.

I don't know if terrorism is ever justified, (...)
It always is, otherwise it wouldn't be done.

Great stuff
Well said.

DeletedUser

I guess that would depend on whether or not one believes the ends justify the means.

Wouldn't you say that it depends on the ends and depends on the means?

I can think of few acts that are morally wrong in all instances all of the time. Torture (and I mean not just kinky fun, but actual torture) for pleasure seems like one of those things that can never be justified.

The point of the question was to ask if terrorism is also one of those things that can never be justified. Most people in this thread seem to agree that it depends on the circumstances. However, just a few years ago, I'm willing to be that this would have sparked considerably more debate...

DeletedUser

Hellstormm, Divest, and John are Americans. This summs it up.

If by John you mean me, then you are mistaken.
If by American you mean 'butthole', then you may very well be correct.
That however is not the topic of the discussion.

DeletedUser

jiminy.jpg

DeletedUser3717

Mr Cricket!!

*Smiles gather on everybodys face*

Wait he's a terriost look at the hat!

DeletedUser

Only the snazzy terrorists do!

Anybody seen the show called Whale Wars? It is a bout a group of activists who "terrorize" Japanese whaling/research vessels. The throw pungent vials on their decks to make the area inhospitable, they have rammed the other ships coming very close to a major catastrophe by possible sinking of the vessels in water that would kill a human in minutes, and they even harassed a vessel that was searching for a man who had fallen overboard. To me, these people are terrorists even though they believe in what they are doing and only want to save the whales. In their actions to save these critters they are endangering human lives. It is a very debatable topic though. Anyway, just curious if anyone else watches the show because it seems to me it pertains to this topic on some level.

DeletedUser

lol that is a form of terrorism I think. The fact that spell checkers cannot tell you that you have used the wrong word if you spell the wrong word correctly.