Votes: 102 32.5%
  • No, I would not!

Votes: 212 67.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

@ Dazzy - the dueller still levels easy as toast since duels require such short times. That argument is entirely flawed.

From first hand experience I can tell you that a camper will level up slower than any dedicated player.

Fact becasue I know it is.

Your statement, like many of them, nonsense.

DeletedUser

One who camps often has to do duel-sleep-duel-sleep pattern. Wins are not always guaranteed, so there's a bit of risk. If they lose a lot of HP (say count 1-2 duels), they go to sleep again, so much wasted energy that could have been used for gaining money, items, and exp from doing jobs.

Diggo11

From first hand experience I can tell you that a camper will level up slower than any dedicated player.

Your statement, like many of them, nonsense.
That's probably more to do with the fact that duelling gives less xp than high xp jobs, so the joke's on you my friend.

Also when you reach higher levels you can easily camp a worker for weeks because your duelling range is pretty large.

DeletedUser

Such a plan would escape any revenge duels and allow the camper to keep receiving experience.

5:30 - one duel
SLEEP
5:50 - one duel
SLEEP
6:10 - one duel
SLEEP
6:30 - one duel
SLEEP
6:50 - one duel
SLEEP
SLEEP
SLEEP

That is an entirely predictable pattern. After 5:50, the 20 minutes between duels is easy to identify. When the camper is awake between 6:00 and 6:10, any number of fighters in the town schedule sleep and a duel against the camper. Any time between 6:10 and 6:20, the town's fighters cancel sleep and they'll all hit the camper before his duel is finished.

As has been said, this suggestion is utterly unnecessary for campers who follow a predictable pattern and delayed dueling is all that's required. Even if it isn't predictable, it can still be done, there's just some luck involved. If the camper's target is doing any damage, catching him awake one time can make the camper KO himself.

DeletedUser

Thank you for basically saying what I've said all along. lol

Although, you do minimize the luck part when they do not follow a predictable pattern. There's some luck involved when they just shake it up a bit, but it's a flatout crapshoot if they put any thought into it at all. Even then, there is a chance that they can still be caught but it's very slim.

This is why there needs to be some change to the mechanics of dueling, whether it's a cool down, moving duels to the field, or however it happens. It is possible to duel with very little chance of being dueled back, and that qualifies as "broken" in my book. As you say, it's much more likely that the hider gets a little cocky and actually ko's himself on an underestimated opponent. But lets be real here...if they're smart enough to have unpredictable patterns, they're not likely to do that very often.

I still equate the current dueling mechanics with a fighter having the ability to deliver devastating amounts of damage to another player, but a simple door on a closet stops the fighter dead in his tracks. It doesn't jive.

I do agree that 15 minutes is too long...15 minutes total for a duel/hotel queue would be more than sufficient. As in 10 minutes for the duel and a 5 minute cool down, but unfortunately that's not how this poll is set up.

DeletedUser

I do agree that 15 minutes is too long...15 minutes total for a duel/hotel queue would be more than sufficient. As in 10 minutes for the duel and a 5 minute cool down, but unfortunately that's not how this poll is set up.

Handicapping players because a few folks don't like what they do.

Pfft, nonsense.

As has been said, time and time again, if/when dueling moves out of the towns this idea is dust.

DeletedUser

Yes, it will be completely moot...if it happens. Again, nobody is disagreeing with that.

Handicapping? Hardly. Unless you call having to build characters that are capable of defending themselves as well as being good at offense, or having to consider their dueling choices more carefully, handicapped.

I don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8677

heres another suggestion

I have read all of the current threads and the only thing i can see is a lot of bickering going on.

I have played three separate games that deal in level progression of an individual character this game happens to be one.

Another game which i chose to quit due to the fact i was unable to get pass level 15 because i was continuously being attacked by player that were level 40 or greater

The third game the dev's in put a limitation to what levels you can attack a range of levels in comparison to your own, as an individual it was up to you to maintain the equipment to sustain your level or you would get pummeled all the time.

This game is the only game of the three that it does not take game credits to purchase your abilities. they come to you "automatically". in the other two game i have to save up credits to purchase training for my attributes. i.e. strength, skill, constitution, etc. and with each level of increase the purchase price became more. so when you have to save up 20 or 30 thousand credits to purchase just upgrade and you have no way of "saving' it then you become an easy target for more powerful fighters that are a considerable higher level than you and end up loosing what you have saved up.

So my suggest is, not to put a 15 minute hotel cool down or stop the campers but to limit the level of the attacked player to a level around your own. that way you will not get a weak 20 level fighter dueling with a level 2 gardener or a strong level 30 dueler fighting a 50 level mortician that can not duel.

Stratos

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I like the idea and would shake the game up a little bit and if they want to get rid of this after implementing it then make it the way it should be and you duel the person where they are on the map

DeletedUser

3. Excessive camping should be against the rules. If people quit the game because of it. Don't you think that is a problem. I would think the game makers would want to keep people playing, rather than quitting.

The bad thing about this. A lot of people have quit this game because of campers. In my opinion some worlds are dieing off and this type of conduct has a lot to do with it.

The game makers should find out why people quit. I believe camping will be the number 1 reason. They should also poll everyone who plays the game on how they feel about it. Obviously it's a problem.

Well James, I got curious as to why people quit the game as well so I made a poll. Just to refute some of these claims you've made please see this thread: http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=20470

As of this posting 77 people have voted on reasons why they would quit playing The West. Only 7 have said "Tired of being dueled/people that camp/bullies". 7 out of 77. And that category includes all dueling, not just camping so the number for 'camping' could be much smaller. It is not the number one reason. In fact it trails behind every other option except for staff support and threat of divorce. Shall we outlaw divorce so that more people will keep playing?

One could conclude that camping is not as big of a problem as it is made out to be.

DeletedUser

I don't see why you can't just get your revenge after the guy wakes up. 15 minutes isn't enough time for a lot of people to react anyway. People usually log on every few hours, not every few minutes.

DeletedUser

Camping isn't what bothers me...........

The "campers" don't bother me I could care less if someone wants to camp in my town. When I go to their town and wait for them to wake up by the time I get the duel queued up there is no way I can duel them if they have sleep set up next. I've had more than one duel come down to under 30 seconds and then be told they are asleep. If the devs don't want to add the 15 minute wait then they should at least allow any duel queued up before they go to sleep to be carried out. Something needs to be done about duel then straight to sleep. What good is it if you can't protect your town? I'll wait in a town for days to try and catch an offender-maybe let us have the option of only dueling the player once a day but be able to que the duel when they are asleep so that when they wake up the duel starts. You would still be allowed to duel other players but the player you had queued up would be off limits for the rest of the day. Just frustrated by the inability to protect my allies

DeletedUser

No to what? and why? If you got something to say then say it best way you know how........If you don't have any reason other than NO then you don't make any sense to me and you appear very ignorant to me

DeletedUser

Please don't call other people ignorant. Skull's first language is not English and I believe they posted No to show how they voted.

DeletedUser

Learning a language isn't as easy as you make it sound, and not all languages have their own forum.

Diggo11

That is an entirely predictable pattern. After 5:50, the 20 minutes between duels is easy to identify. When the camper is awake between 6:00 and 6:10, any number of fighters in the town schedule sleep and a duel against the camper. Any time between 6:10 and 6:20, the town's fighters cancel sleep and they'll all hit the camper before his duel is finished.

As has been said, this suggestion is utterly unnecessary for campers who follow a predictable pattern and delayed dueling is all that's required. Even if it isn't predictable, it can still be done, there's just some luck involved. If the camper's target is doing any damage, catching him awake one time can make the camper KO himself.
That's just an example proving a camper can fit it all into one day. Someone camping would have varying periods in between and change their schedule each day. As I've said before you may be able to catch a predictable camper, but what kind of idiot would act that predictably?

DeletedUser

I have said elsewhere that part of the problem with campers is the fact that they often artificially hold their duelling level down by duelling with very low motivation. That means they don't get much experience and as a result their duelling level doesn't go up. The best way I can see to resolve this is to disconnect motivation in duels from the effect it has on duelling level. It should still effect experience gained, but duelling level should be calculated on the notional experience gained if each duel was fought at 100% motivation. If that was done then quite quickly your average camper would find he couldn't actually hit the easy targets any more and he would be forced to fight the fighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.