The next step in human evolution

DeletedUser

Darkness, your observations are pretty good. I just wanted to point out that technological improvements ALREADY can be made; in fact, if you look at my "Immortality" thread in the Debate and Discussion area, I believe immortality isn't very far-fetched.

Actually, part of my Theory of Immortality involves downloading knowledge. The process is called "mind uploading": because the mind is electric, you can upload it to a computer, tinker with it, and then download it to software, the first brain, or another brain.

We will still need plenty of technology.
Teleportation is probably possible, but that would require accessing a black hole, which requires effective interstellar travel. In short, it ain't happening. ;)

Flying? I guess that would helpful, but really it'd be more trouble than its' worth. You'd have to find a way to rework the human body so that the wings have enough lift power to support and propel the body while meshing with it perfectly and not being a hindrance.

Fire in the hands.... Fire requires fuel, heat, and oxygen. Your hand could have intense chemical reactions that supply the heat and oxygen. Beyond that, unless you were holding fuel right in your hand, there would be no fire. A more realistic idea would be the ability to "throw" or "shoot" the heat away from yourself, catching things on fire like a high-powered laser.
---------------------------------------------
It's probably more likely that bio-engineering will advance in the fields of medicine and agriculture.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Darkness, your observations are pretty good. I just wanted to point out that technological improvements ALREADY can be made; in fact, if you look at my "Immortality" thread in the Debate and Discussion area, I believe immortality isn't very far-fetched.

Actually, part of my Theory of Immortality involves downloading knowledge. The process is called "mind uploading": because the mind is electric, you can upload it to a computer, tinker with it, and then download it to software, the first brain, or another brain.

We will still need plenty of technology.
Teleportation is probably possible, but that would require accessing a black hole, which requires effective interstellar travel. In short, it ain't happening. ;)

Flying? I guess that would helpful, but really it'd be more trouble than its' worth. You'd have to find a way to rework the human body so that the wings have enough lift power to support and propel the body while meshing with it perfectly and not being a hindrance.

Fire in the hands.... Fire requires fuel, heat, and oxygen. Your hand could have intense chemical reactions that supply the heat and oxygen. Beyond that, unless you were holding fuel right in your hand, there would be no fire. A more realistic idea would be the ability to "throw" or "shoot" the heat away from yourself, catching things on fire like a high-powered laser.
---------------------------------------------
It's probably more likely that bio-engineering will advance in the fields of medicine and agriculture.

Mind transference isn't the only means for immortality, nano-machines that repair the damaged DNA of a cell (thats why we age and die) would be more efficient, and cheaper. Interstellar travel could be done, fusion rockets,nuclear pulse propulsion, or even antimatter rockets are possibilities that are a "feasible". In the future an Alcubierre drive(look it up) could be made .All of the "feasible" ideas would still be very slow, requiring a generation ship, or some form of suspended animation. At 10% the speed of light it would still take 40 years to reach Proxima Centuari (the closest star) which isn't too bad as far as interstellar travel goes.

DeletedUser

Exactly! Are you going to spend thousands of years (at best about 40 years) going to a black hole so that you can teleport yourself to, say, another city that was only a few hour's drive away? I am quite familiar with the potential means of constructing a starship.

Repairing the damaged DNA.... I'm not familiar with that.
But Mind Transference would still be much better. If you died in an accident, they could just download one of your "saved" minds on software into a new body.

DeletedUser13682

I think that mind transferrence, in the way you describe it, wouldn't be the best way to go. You download your mind once, then forget to download it for a month, have a ton of great memories, learn a bunch of new stuff, then kick the bucket, and lose all that. Mind transference could work, but something closer to what Fallen Earth, and the LifeNet pods describe, mind gets transferred right at death, keeping all memories intact, but only without the big bulky collars, maybe some computer chip in the brain.

DeletedUser

Exactly! Are you going to spend thousands of years (at best about 40 years) going to a black hole so that you can teleport yourself to, say, another city that was only a few hour's drive away? I am quite familiar with the potential means of constructing a starship.

Repairing the damaged DNA.... I'm not familiar with that.
But Mind Transference would still be much better. If you died in an accident, they could just download one of your "saved" minds on software into a new body.

Who wants to teleport? the journey is better than the destination. Repairing damaged DNA won't protect you from accidents, but it will give you everlasting life. Nano-Machines would be cheaper because it uses technology which is coming into reality very quickly that have the possibility of self replication, better than storing HUGE amounts of information on computers that will take decades to come into reality. The reason you get wrinkles when you get old, have heart trouble, poor eyesight or Alzheimer's is because every time your cells replicate they have to split their DNA to make a second copy for the child cell.Every time they split it damages the DNA a little bit, until eventually after generations of cellular division they are unable to reproduce, creating damaged tissue which eventually leads to death. Now people genetically have a different limit to when their cells stop reproducing of course, but eventually it will give out.

DeletedUser

That's what my Dad always says about teleportation.

Yes, you'd have wonderful lost memories, but it sure beats being dead. Computer chip in the brain? That could work. The main problem is an accident where your brain is destroyed.

Plus, saving your mind would be pretty useful in other circumstances.

DeletedUser

A possible way for mind transference to work that I've heard of is to use nano-machines(again with those) to copy information found in the brains synapses to a storage medium continually . An interesting storage medium I've thought of is to use a cloned brain, or a whole clone in a comatose state, that is connected to your brain wirelessly in real time, it would eventually learn all your memories including new ones, and share the same personality because those memories.

DeletedUser

Exactly! Are you going to spend thousands of years (at best about 40 years) going to a black hole so that you can teleport yourself to, say, another city that was only a few hour's drive away?

Flying into a black hole will not teleport you. It will break your body down into constituent particles, but it won't send them anywhere. I think you're confusing black holes with entirely theoretical worm holes.

Anyway, even teleporting Star Trek-style is flawed (omg, blasphemy! Star Trek science is flawless!). You aren't actually teleporting, but being destroyed and having identical copies of your constituent particles assembled at the destination. The original you no longer exists.

DeletedUser

Next step in evolution = Twinkies with the filling on the outside.

DeletedUser

Flying into a black hole will not teleport you. It will break your body down into constituent particles, but it won't send them anywhere. I think you're confusing black holes with entirely theoretical worm holes.

Anyway, even teleporting Star Trek-style is flawed (omg, blasphemy! Star Trek science is flawless!). You aren't actually teleporting, but being destroyed and having identical copies of your constituent particles assembled at the destination. The original you no longer exists.

:p
You all think I'm just some sort of idiot, but I actually study this stuff, watch scientific documentaries, read articles, and so on.

Yes, I am referring to wormholes. Accessing a wormhole requires going through a black hole. If wormholes exist.

Teleporting Star Trek-style is crap. Your particles STILL couldn't reach the speed of light; if you wanted to teleport a short distance, that'd work, but it would take a while for the particles to reach their destination. And, supposing you could rearrange the decillions of particles in your body back into a functioning human being, the particles would be colliding with other subatomic materials and, quite possibly, taking damage or being knocked off-track.

Oh, and you can go directly into a black hole safely. The black hole is like a whirlpool in space, but has an "eye" like a hurricane. Flying directly down the gravitational well would theoretically be safe and possible. As for a wormhole, the main problem with them is that they are notoriously unstable (using the current theories about them).

DeletedUser

ever had a Zingger? pretty much that....I think

A plain Zinger is the same as a Twinkie... (although probably with a shelf life).

Other Zingers are also the same as a Twinkie, but with icing or that raspberry-coconut crap on the outside.

Have you ever had a Zinger?

DeletedUser

A plain Zinger is the same as a Twinkie... (although probably with a shelf life).

Other Zingers are also the same as a Twinkie, but with icing or that raspberry-coconut crap on the outside.

Have you ever had a Zinger?

yeah, there delicious

DeletedUser

Human beings will lose the pinky and little toe. Their useless.

Time will tell how we evolve. There is no way to determine what the environment of the future will be. However, I bet we will lose physical strength, gain more dexterous fingers, and gain intelligence.

For God's sake, if you're going to spam me with rep, at least leave your name.

Here's anonymous repper's message to my post about people losing strength:
"they won't be unless they're crammed into your corner never going outside and getting any sunshine (other crap)"

That was a scientific observation I made. I do get out you <censored>; in fact, I camp and hike! (and before somebody makes some barb, no, it's REAL camping, not virtual) I was noting that technological advances mean we have to less work ourselves. :p

When you call your friend/business associate over the cell phone instead of walking several miles to their location to tell them something, speed and stamina become less important.

When you need to build a canal and detonate a nuclear missile (google "Smiling Buddha") rather than spending the majority of your life toiling away digging with your bare hands in soil, you lose strength and stamina.

When you need hands that can manipulate all this fancy machinery, you gain dexterity.

When you need to be able to move your hands fast, you gain dexterity.

When you are making scientific breakthroughs every year instead of every ten thousand years, you gain intelligence.

If we humans continue to rely on technology to solve our problems, we will eventually reach a state where we are either like the Martians in War of the Worlds or nothing more than a brain in a vat.

DeletedUser

You all think I'm just some sort of idiot, but I actually study this stuff, watch scientific documentaries, read articles, and so on.
You said it, not me.

Yes, I am referring to wormholes. Accessing a wormhole requires going through a black hole. If wormholes exist. Oh, and you can go directly into a black hole safely. The black hole is like a whirlpool in space, but has an "eye" like a hurricane. Flying directly down the gravitational well would theoretically be safe and possible. As for a wormhole, the main problem with them is that they are notoriously unstable (using the current theories about them).
Wow, umm, no.

The term, "black hole," is a long-ago penned title for superdense stars whose visual impact distorts our limited observations of light, but is otherwise solid, as well as can be established. It is matter so immensely compacted as to emit a gravity whose maximal rate of fall exceeds the speed of light. To understand this, you need to understand that both gravity and acceleration creates spatial contraction, and thus are equal in that sense.

Hmm, alright, let me try a different angle. You're obviously confusing embedding diagrams, presented to demonstrate general relativity, with gravitational wells. Not the same thing. What you are describing is the accretion disk associated with a black hole, a vortex. So while there is all that matter and energy spiraling around and eventually being pulled into a star that has an intense gravitational field (i.e., black hole), that same gravitational field would be in effect at the center of the vortex and thus, if you were to approach the black hole from the center of this vortex, you would merely splat into the star at an extremely high rate of fall, as opposed to being torn asunder on the outskirts, the accretion disc, but not before being sub-atomically compressed.

Anyway, the wormholes you're referring to, Einstein-Rosen bridges, which rely on a black hole and a white hole, have been determined to be unstable theoretical models. Many practical models have since been devised, most of which rely on hypothetical concepts (such as exotic matter). Regardless, whichever model is presented, what you indicated above is simply wrong.

Teleporting Star Trek-style is crap. Your particles STILL couldn't reach the speed of light; if you wanted to teleport a short distance, that'd work, but it would take a while for the particles to reach their destination. And, supposing you could rearrange the decillions of particles in your body back into a functioning human being, the particles would be colliding with other subatomic materials and, quite possibly, taking damage or being knocked off-track.
Wow, you really have no idea what you're talking about, but at least you're entertaining, in a GEICO caveman sort of way.

DeletedUser

What? That last part isn't true? In Star Trek, teleportation is based off of disassembling your atoms and then rearranging them elsewhere. A mighty task, I'd say.

Hey, the part about the black holes having a cylindrical base is something I learned from Dr. Michio Kaku's "Sci Fi Science". But I will go check. :p

DeletedUser

Don't post that irufis! Hellstromm will go all Democrat on you!