Motivation: How little is too little?

DeletedUser

I'd love to know how Motivation affects Luck, Wages and product-finding (mathematically, if possible). I've been laying off of jobs when they dip below 88% or so, but if I can keep draining it lower without experiencing diminishing returns, then I would.

Anyone have a formula or any intelligent observations?

Thanks!!

DeletedUser

I think that's pretty much the only formula known for sure:

motivation x [insert unknown formula for wages/XP/luck] = wages/XP/luck

e.g.: if you have 83% motivation you'll only get 83% wages/XP/etc.

Motivation has no effect on products.

http://en2.the-west.net/help.php?article=working_screen
motivation.png
Motivation

Motivation is a value between 0% and 100%. This number says how motivated you are to work on this job right now. The starting motivation is 100%. With every hour you do the job the motivation goes down by 3%. The motivation constantly raises by 10 points per day until it reaches the 100% it started with. With a motivation lower than 100% you make less money, less experience points and the items you find aren't as valuable. With a motivation of 80% you receive 80% of the money you would have gotten otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Unless I have a real good reason for doing the same job repeatedly, I try not to let mine go below 90%

DeletedUser

Thanks for that. I wonder if the ratio is the same for luck. I assume it's not, given that luck is much less than 100%... unless it's a percent of a percent?

Example for Trading job: I wonder if 90% motivation means you get 90% of 25% luck (or around 22.5% luck).

Hmmm...

DeletedUser

if you have 25% in luck and motivation is 80% then its 80% of the 25% you will get next time you do the job.

so your exsampel were correct.

ps.
when it says that you have 25% in luck, its not how big the chance of finding one. but how good the item will be.

DeletedUser

Down to 18% guarding forts. But I want that flag! :(

Stop doing that job over and over again. Do a different job twice. Then go back and do that job again. The more you do that job, the lower your motivation will be. Sometimes our character is just too lazy to do everything the same all over again.

DeletedUser

If one job is noticably better than another then it might be good to do that job even if the motivation begins to drop. But eventually you will have to go do other jobs because the motivation will simply be too low. So, better to go on and do jobs inbetween each to maximize your returns. Do 2 hours also to minimize travel time.

DeletedUser

I see a lot of players with a hard time to find the items they want. I never go under 90% for any job and have never had a hard time unless the chance of getting the product in question was a low 1% or 2%.

Cycle through the jobs that are near. Go take a walk to the other side of town. the 13 minutes you'll take won't be as much of a waste as the 62% motivation job you're doing. Even worst, get it lower and it'll take even longer for it to get up. Just cycle through all the time.