Home Schooling

DeletedUser

Personally I find it doesn't develop social skills. Spending 6 hours a day with 30 different people allows you to learn how to communicate as part of a group.

DeletedUser

Well, I am home schooled, and I would say that yes, it can work. Just like with schools, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, it just depends on how well it's done, end of story.
And in regards to your comment Like A Sir, yeah, but if your spending 6 hours with 30 different people, yeah, you might develop social skills, on the other hand, you might suffer intensive bullying. The main reason parents pull their kids out of schools is because of bullying.

DeletedUser31931

Or because they're a teacher or the other parent is and you have to live on the road a lot. However, yes in most cases it is Tiger's reason. My input is that so long as the person teaching the homeschooler is good enough it won't make a difference, because they will get out with members of their local community etc. and develop those social skills in those surroundings. In my few encounters with homeschooled people in the UK (they are much less common over here I believe) I have never noticed that big a difference between myself and them or other people and them.

DeletedUser16008

Home schooled my daughter from the age of 4 - 6 dropped her into regular school from 6 - 9 and then home school again from 10 - 14, then back into regular from 14 on and since 17 sharing both school and Homestudy at Cambridge Open University.

We decided very early on that we would use the school system as WE saw fit and if that meant taking her out of school at times so be it. We wanted a balance of education and be involved in what was taught, not what a current government or society deemed fit as it is nearly always narrow in subject teaching. It wasn't good enough to just touch on say the industrial revolution and miss out the entire century prior or after. Or teach the dogma of the baby Jesus without understanding it has no factual basis whatsoever.

The schooling standards at times weren't upto scratch nor teaching what we wanted.We also wanted to teach her to think for herself, something they don't in school anywhere near early enough, so we took her out of the system again at 9. It was far easier to focus on practical and useful elements on a schedule of our choosing and our daughters needs at the time. When we dropped her back into the system at 14 we found she not only adapted very well but kept hold of the soft and practical skills she had learnt. Bullies tried once and found out it wasn't the pushover they expected and left well alone after that. Shes not a straight A student but pretty close, gets herself up and out, is never late or plays sickie and dosn't drink or smoke of her own free will,I do both.

She has worked since 14, has two jobs and is years in front of the other kids in terms of common sense, and social skills. Not to mention practical skills like organising her own finances, being able to cook properly for herself and others, basic electrics and other general practical life skills and licensed to drive all before the age of 18. Currently shes half way through a degree whilst also doing A levels and will we hope, have her masters finished before others collect their degree as most seem to be taking a year out these days.

Would she have gotten this far in just the traditional system to date ? No i don't believe she would.You don't need to spend time with 30 other kids day after day to develop social skills, kids arn't particularly good at it anyway. There are other means and environments to learn that with.

It takes time and a lot of effort on the parents part, not to mention serious sacrifice, we had to change our lifestyle entirely to do it but would say its been as much of a benefit to us as a family as it has been for her. It also gives one other thing you cannot measure or buy and thats time spent together. A closer relationship and friendship simply by spending a lot of time together. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, no question.

Im not a fan of society, its rules nor its way of measuring status or success. I'm especially not keen on the school system of one fits all theory and the way it dumbs down a person, or trys to fit them into little boxes. I never fitted well into the rulebook at school myself and swore if I had the opportunity id give my child the benefit of what I had learnt much earlier in life. I can honestly say its the most satisfying thing I have ever done.

Use the system to what suits YOU rather than just go along with what the system says. Last time I checked it was the responsibility of the parent NOT the state to ensure the education of the child. If you think you can do better go for it. Home schooling done well rocks.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser33353

What Vic said....I am a victim of being home schooled til jr. high school. Then off to military school, army, college. I personally think it works well. Did I miss out on some things? Of course. Did I gain a few things by being educated that way? I hope I did.

DeletedUser

This is a tough subject (in my opinion). Because you have so many good examples (like Vic) who put effort in doing their best for their child. On the other hand there are communities such as the FLDS, where children are at such a low level of education, is painful to even hear about.
One of the main reasons I am considering homeschooling (for my future children) is the fact that where I live (USA) you do not have options (unless you have money to pay for a private school). Your child has to go to the school in your district. And that is so wrong. Because there is no competitiveness between schools. They do not have to attract children into their schools, they get children (thus funding) because people live there. And then you have Teacher's Union, that does more damage than help (again, in my opinion, do not throw stones). Teachers' rights are highly protected, but what about children's rights?
You see so many times on TV that a child's word is not enough for the school to take action against a teacher. They many times catch the teacher on tape to prove foul play. And is hard (as a parent) to know who to believe: the child or the teacher? And yes, there are many teachers who bully children. Even children with special needs.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45302947/ns/today-parenting_and_family/t/teachers-caught-tape-bullying-special-needs-girl/

But also not every parent is fit to homeschooling their child. And there's no way known so far for school authorities to interfere or keep tabs on them. I do think that kids schooled at home should have to pass 1 evaluation per year requested and supervised by the school district. It would be an easy way to make sure parents do what they are supposed to be doing. And I also think that teachers should be evaluated yearly as well. And schools should keep a closer eye on their activities, not just protect their rights.
Do I think there are also awesome teachers out there? Absolutely. Very very many. But in the current conditions I would opt for homeschooling. I am also happy to see there are online K-12 options, which are a blessing.
And you can definitely help develop your child's social skills without sending him/her to a school. Like some said before, bullying is a great issue and also one of the main reasons I would opt for homeschooling. I don't think there's anybody who can deny the fact that working 1 on 1 with a child is the best. And having the child enrolled in extra-curricular activities should also go hand in hand with the 1 on 1 schooling.

DeletedUser1121

Where i live (the Netherlands), it is not allowed to home school your children. We do have a system where you can choose a school you see most fit to your needs. Would we do so if we did had the chance, I think so.

My oldest child is 5 and currently going to a Christian based school. Not because I am a Christian, but because the school fitted the personality of my child better than the other available schools.

One of the main reasons was because there aren't classes of 30+ kids. My son is in a group of 8 kids and gets more personal guidance that way. The entire school felt more relaxed then other schools. The fact that it does teach him stuff i don't agree with, did not change my choice. Because i believe that teaching a child doesn't stop when he gets out of school. We frequently discuss stuff he had in school, teach him ourselves (my wife has a degree in teaching elementary school) as well. We read a lot with all of our kids, practise basic maths (most of it in little games) and explain that there are multiple ways to look at religion and society.

The results are pretty good so far. He scores top grades on the national tests (we have an institute that makes independent tests so results between schools can be compared). So what I am trying to say is that education does not stop when your kid walks out of the school. If anything it actually just starts. So in my opinion, most schooling should be done in home. It is a shame that so many people rely on schools to educate and form our children while we are responsible for them. It is our jobs to turn them into good persons.

DeletedUser16008

Where i live (the Netherlands), it is not allowed to home school your children. We do have a system where you can choose a school you see most fit to your needs. Would we do so if we did had the chance, I think so.

My oldest child is 5 and currently going to a Christian based school. Not because I am a Christian, but because the school fitted the personality of my child better than the other available schools.

One of the main reasons was because there aren't classes of 30+ kids. My son is in a group of 8 kids and gets more personal guidance that way. The entire school felt more relaxed then other schools. The fact that it does teach him stuff i don't agree with, did not change my choice. Because i believe that teaching a child doesn't stop when he gets out of school. We frequently discuss stuff he had in school, teach him ourselves (my wife has a degree in teaching elementary school) as well. We read a lot with all of our kids, practise basic maths (most of it in little games) and explain that there are multiple ways to look at religion and society.

The results are pretty good so far. He scores top grades on the national tests (we have an institute that makes independent tests so results between schools can be compared). So what I am trying to say is that education does not stop when your kid walks out of the school. If anything it actually just starts. So in my opinion, most schooling should be done in home. It is a shame that so many people rely on schools to educate and form our children while we are responsible for them. It is our jobs to turn them into good persons.

Thats really interesting about the law there Desi.

The Special Rapporteur to the United Nations Commission on Human Rights 8th April 1999 stated:

"The respect of parent's freedom to educate their children according to their vision of what education should be has been part of international human rights standards since their very emergence."

Do you know thats a fact with no test cases Desi or just being told that by the state ?I wonder how that would go there if the state were challenged in the European court ?

Im in the UK and looked very closely at the UK law before returning here.

Its legal here but they arn't going to tell you what the rules are unless you go looking but its legal in all parts of the UK and always has been. In England and Wales Home education is given equal status with schools under section 7 of the Education Act 1996 which says:

'The parent of every child of compulsory school age shall cause him to receive efficient full time education suitable a) to his age ability and aptitude, and b) any special educational needs he may have, either by attendance at a school or otherwise.'

Where "otherwise" refers to the right to home educate your child. Other parts of the UK have their own similar arrangements. Scotland, Northern Ireland

As in independent schools,Home schooling has no requirements to follow any particular curriculum or indeed any set curriculum at all. Home education has the advantage of being able to follow a particular child's interests. In this way during the early years it is easy to cover a wide variety of 'subjects areas' by studying one or two topic areas, which also encourages basic literacy and numeracy skills. Experience shows that if young children are not formally taught at all, they can still learn as much or more than they would in school, if they have varied life experiences, a stimulating environment and an adult around who is willing to answer umpteen questions, or help to find the answers. That part is KEY ;)

Guidelines if wishing to take your child out of state schooling we found was almost just as simple.

If your child is a registered pupil at a school, then you must write to the proprietor of the school, informing (him/her) of your intention to withdraw your child from school and saying that you wish the child's name to be deleted from the register. It is important that it is the proprietor, who may be the Head or the Board of Governors or in some cases the LEA, who receive this letter, so do check first or address it appropriately. It would be courteous to send the Head a copy. It is wise to hand deliver or ask for confirmation of receipt of the letter and of removal of the name from the register. The proprietor then has a legal duty to inform the LEA within 10 school days, of the withdrawal of said child from the register.

We used this exact tactic when we wished to take her out of state school and avoid secondary for a few years. We had a brief meeting with some school officials who came very unprepared and just tried to cajole and imo bully us into continuing state education thinking we had no clue as to the law. It lasted all of 15 mins then I explained the UK law requirements to them and then thier tone began to get a bit more threatening but was clear it was just bluff. I ended up quoting the UK law to them and providing above letters complying to requirements and then told them to go soak their heads and try to force it and see what happens. We never heard from them again.

We had a similar situation when going into sixth form and having a "minimum of two" subjects "required" by the state to continue at higher state school whereas she only wanted one, allowing her more time on her degree course as she had no intention of attending traditional University when already 1/3 of the way through one so "minimum requirements" were irrelevant to her, it will be a masters level course before she needs to attend a redbrick and that will depend on the degree pass level not some state system of ticking boxes just because. We did a bit of talking and working with the school head about a "second subject" and again the law gives no rule of how long a subject has to be studied so engineered a "second subject" she would complete in one year what other students would do in two on the understanding she would attend school part time having so much free time over and use those free periods by self studying at home to ensure success of the "second subject". By this time there was a track record of home study and academic achievement's plus a letter from Cambridge attesting to her first degree year results and having effectively covered the "second" course at degree level in her first year to a high standard there wasn't much argument is was achievable at a lower level. That satisfied the states "requirement" of two subjects and hers of more time being devoted to her Degree. It also helped immensely her attitude to study and relationships with the teachers there over the last few years, this has been possible only because of the periods of home schooling instilling a positive attitude and adapting as well as responsibility and having to "wise up" on what you can and cannot do.

All any state school will tell you is A B C on to regular Uni take a massive loan or pay massive fees and for what ? half emerging from a uni cant even add up properly or have proper life skills. There are options depending on your choice of study, in fact most jobs don't even need a degree just the skill and experience.

Right now University fees are going to the moon, even for softer degrees its becoming crazy expensive. Had we not home schooled my daughter would not be getting a free degree through Cambridge as we would not have been looking into what was possible, certainly no one would have told us especially the state system.

I can't tell you how much ive learned about teaching one on one nor how much information is out there and what courses are available, help and also funding. They just don't tell you about it, there isn't a book to read on it perse its a matter of rooting out information and talking with all kinds, timing and determination.

DeletedUser

As I live in the UK I'm pretty sure that home schooling is different in the US, and as I have no real experience of it I'm no position to criticize. I think both home schooling and public schooling have their pros and cons.

DeletedUser

I underwent the standard school system and was not home-schooled (although I did plenty of self-study). Would I have benefitted from home-schooling? Definitely not. But why not?

While I experienced many of the problems of the standard public school system, including gangs, bullies, fights, and "other" distractions, not every household, not every family, can accommodate home-schooling. In fact, some homes would provide an environment far worse.

Let's face it, many parents just plain suck at being parents. And then there's siblings. Bullying and abuse happens just as much, (indeed often moreso) at home as it does in school.

In any event, today's "home schooling" isn't really performed at home, so this claim of insufficient social settings is simply wrong. Those "qualified" and "willing" parents who opt to home-school their children participate in various community education events, including group visits to museums, parks, math sessions, etc. The difference here is that at least one of the parents participates in virtually all these events, including home study, and it is because the parents are involved that the parents are able to help the child develop, to provide assistance, even learn alongside the child. And, the child is actually out, interacting with other kids of his age, "more" than he/she would if attending a public/private school. Last, the amount of "home" study is comparable to that of a child obtaining homework from a public/private school.

The striking difference with so-called home-schooling is parental involvement. So, if the parents don't have the time for their child, don't have the commitment to helping their child grow, don't have the child's welfare ahead of their own, aren't encouraging academics, and are incapable or unwilling to provide a safe learning environment, then home-schooling won't work.

But, then again neither will the public school system work all that well without supportive family members. And, you know, some public school systems are far worse than disinterested parents. Put them together and you get --- juvenile delinquents. Yay!

DeletedUser33353

For some reason, I am not surprised to see HS voice his opinion. All in all, there are good things and bad with both options, just be a responsible parent and do what is right by your kids.

WanderingStranger

I agree with Kidd Kalypso. Parents should do what they can.

Homeschooling is nice if the parents have the time and money (many homes require both parents to work)and if they are even capable of teaching. It also depends on the child. They are going to vary greatly even if they have the exact same upbringing.

I dont see this as a situation where you can say homeschooling is good or bad because it is both good AND bad. I know home schooled children who started public school in high school and they were fine. I also saw how horrible it was for 2 home schooled children with scrict, religious parents. They were behind where they should have been in school and so socially inept it was painful.

It is hard to attack a public school system where teachers are underpaid, schools underfunded, and the system is set up to treat the school as a whole rather than individual students. While those are all bad the other option is to not get any education or only allow the wealthy to get one.

DeletedUser16008

Of course I agree with wandering and HS here you cant just simplify things and say one is better than the other, there are many things to consider and weigh up.

There isnt really a one cap fits all here, I wasn't home schooled and not a chance it would have been possible needing x2 incoming wages.

Children are what they are too and some are just born rebels be they taught at home or in state school.My ubringing was very stable and attentive but it never stopped me going out of my way to find adventure. It wouldn't have mattered where or by what system I was being taught,

Its really doesn't fit all sizes As I said the first post

If you think you can do better go for it. Home schooling done well rocks. Easy to say not at all easy to manage. Its no picnic and its one hell of a long term commitment. It really comes down to if you can put in the time, the effort and accept the financial aspect involved. As much as it has to be right for the child it must suit the family as well