1.36 world migration - discussion

DeletedUser

Substitute "playing the game" with "living your life" and you have an interesting parallel there don't you. We know we're all going to die, that doesn't mean we're anxious to speed it up now does it. Yes, the end of the game is inevitable as is our lives too but I'm still enjoying both and not in a hurry to end either prematurely.

Yeah, and losing your hat doesn't seem like an incredibly serious problem, but if you substitute life for hat you better find that hat!

DeletedUser8627

Thank you for posting all your concerns, we do value your input as this is a big leap into the game's future.

Before I go any further, I would like to iterate that no characters will have the opportunity to merge with another character in another world. This means no inventory transfers, no skill or attribute transfers, no transfers at all to another character in another world. And we will not allow a character into the same world with another character you own to transfer inventories, see Rule #1. One character per world, anything that characters has gained stays strictly within that character's parameters without any outside interference.

The world merging has been an ongoing discussion for many months now, many suggestions popped onto the table but weighing the positives and negatives of each, it was decided we will rather allow players to migrate their character instead of merging two/three worlds together. This decision will not be changed, it's the route that was chosen. Obviously chosen as there will be lesser casualties this way.

Understand that this new feature was not brought into play to make your lives a living hell, it's being set in place to look out for the well being of the community and the future of this game. I realize that there are players who will be against this idea due to the fact that this is going to hinder your characters, however, there are a vast majority that would like to be part of the larger community within the actual game. This is not possible if we do not place a feature where a player can migrate. Not everyone plays this game for the same reasons, not everyone wants the activity, I'm sure some couldn't care less as long as they can log in and do their jobs they'll be happy.

So with that being said, soon you will have the opportunity to migrate your character to a more active world. You do not have to move if you feel you don't want to but with this feature in place, please know that worlds will eventually close. We are providing the options for you to use so your characters are not deleted.
It's not a viable option for Innogames to keep worlds running for a small group of players. Once the cost of running the world is greater than the income gained from the world, we can start seeing plans for a close. Please don't see this as we are forcing you to move or we will delete you, rather see it as a opportunity to benefit from this feature. New features are not always negative.

In the coming weeks leading up to this release, I will run in-game surveys to get a better feel from the players. Essentially it's up to the CMs on each market to make the necessary options available to the community. And I prefer doing this as painless as possible, which means we will take the best solution that we possibly can.

Another topic has come up in a few posts about compensation. We have not decided on this just yet or what it will be. I'm in a discussion with the developers about this and once a decision has been made, it will be announced.

To all the distraught players, I do apologize for the inconvenience this will cause you. In the end I do see a better outcome than what we currently have. You are not the only ones that have mass amounts of characters, I do too and hopefully we can come up with a solution for this issue. Most likely we will need to deal with each of these players individually but we will see what happens when the time comes.

Feel free to provide as much feedback as you want. ;)

DeletedUser

I would like to say...this is an awesome idea and a game changer. I am truely looking forward to it as i might be able to relive my w5 account which is out of action as w5 is on the verge of dying.. Lets see what the others say ;)

http://www.the-west.net

DeletedUser

Well, if you ask me, this will cause the players in the old worlds to come to the new ones, and by doing that, having the chance to be the first in XP just because of the age of the old world.

This means there is no use to try to be the first one with new accounts in the new worlds, the older players already have won the race...

DeletedUser

And of course, one merge per character only.

If there only one merge per character and the player merge but everyone ells merge off that world the play the merge too it would be stuck and get dellited with the world this seem unfair to the play as the clear wand to keep this character.

DeletedUser

If there only one merge per character and the player merge but everyone ells merge off that world the play the merge too it would be stuck and get dellited with the world this seem unfair to the play as the clear wand to keep this character.

rainy said you could migrate every 3 months or so(not for sure).

DeletedUser22685

Well, if you ask me, this will cause the players in the old worlds to come to the new ones, and by doing that, having the chance to be the first in XP just because of the age of the old world.

This means there is no use to try to be the first one with new accounts in the new worlds, the older players already have won the race...

All worlds but Colorado had players at level 99 before the cap was raised to 120, so everyone's had the exact same amount of time to gain exp. I think you'll find that top players on new worlds will have more exp than those on older worlds due to being more active and having access to more fort battles and duels.

DeletedUser8627

The route we take won't allow players to move out of active worlds.

And in other news, I've opened a poll > World Migrating

In-game surveys will be released on Monday.

DeletedUser

and instead if having 15 worlds, having 5 -6 worlds with twenty thousand players will make the game more exiting, more fun dueling, more fun in fort fighting etc.

and world 5 is also kind of boring with only a mere 1259 players it would be better if w5 can be merged to w15 or w14

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I will welcome the migration option, altho it will definitely mean i lose some of my toons. Overall, i think this is a good idea. Yes, there will be some who dont like it, but you cannot please everyone. :) Something clearly needs to be done, and the Devs are making an effort.....now once this is done maybe they will do something about dueling. ;)

DeletedUser34413

I must apologize, on forehand, for my poor English but I like the idea of merging inactive worlds into several active world if this means:
- a reset of "towns" and "forts" enabling every alliance to be build up from "square one"
- No loss of equipment, gold and nuggets instead, if present, the "backpack", the "gold bag(bank+loot)" and "nuggets" available in both characters will be merged as well.
- Players will be ranked based on the highest exp on both world and will be enabled to play the character with the highest amount of skill points and attribute points possible based on both world.(which doesn't mean a merge of skillpoints and attribute points of both characters)

understanding and accepting the following:
- towns and forts resulting in alliances can be rebuild
- Every player is "freely" allowed re skill his/her character and choose again which kind of class he/she wants to play in the "new" world.
- forts can be conquered in a fair way after this feature is implemented.

I do understand that it will be hard a decision to choose between two characters but if this results in up to 6 active worlds I think it will benefit us all as their will be no loss in experience, level, time and effort, gold, nuggets and equipment for the "old players" when merged into the "new" world and together with the youngsters already present in the world will be awarded with a coupon to change their character if desired and to change their re skill points and attributes if desired and are still enabled to climb in ranks.

DeletedUser15641

why don't you guys just make it as an option ATM if anyone wants to just pop up into another world with their current things etc.

They should not make the inactive people pay for their mistakes.(Making a lot of worlds)

Please read.

Don its not a merge nor a re start from scratch.

Polar bears are dictators to survival not to kill their own people so that means i want to dictate this ongoing poll yes i do want to sabotage it because its a really bad idea and you guys are going to the wrong path if you go on it then you know who i will be blaming it will be dead anyway you go killing dead worlds is not the answer!

DeletedUser

This is one way I can see the migration of characters working, just to put out one possible idea on how it can be programmed in a simplistic manner.

1. A character that wants to move out of a world enters into a special "permanent vacation mode" from which they can not wake.
2. During the next cycling of the worlds, that character and all of their stats, possessions, achievements, etc. are placed into a "holding queue" or sort of limbo.
3. When the player logs into a world in which the character can migrate, the system displays a list of the characters in the movement queue along with a prompt "Do you want to replace the character in this world with one of the following saved characters?", and if the choice is made, then the character in that world, if any, is deleted and the character in the queue is inserted into the new location and removed from the "holding queue".

Telegrams, towns, forts, etc. all stay in the old world and the telegrams and character will be deleted (either once the character moves, which would be the smart way because if there are any disputes, they can be resolved by referencing the old character for comparison). The new/replacement character is inserted into the new world (this can be at the location of the existing character in their existing town if they happen to exist, or be in the location they were at in the old world since all worlds use the same map, or in a totally random location and townless).

I think the actual movement/relocation of the character is the least painful part, it's the separation anxiety and trauma that some are/will experience that is being worked through now.

DeletedUser15641

What do you propose TUG, stop the whole migration idea and continue as we are?

Then you can have many, many accounts on many, many dead worlds?

Get with the program and what is trying to be achieved here.

Killing dead worlds is the answer?How dare you?You don't know these inactive players you did not even give them a chance you don't even know their life styles.

You don't know what are their conditions!So why don't you put your self into their shoes and be more reasonable and fair?

DeletedUser

Let me get this straight, say for example i have an existing character in W12 and W1, and i want to move my W1 character to W12. Will my current W12 Character be deleted and get replaced by my W1 Character?

DeletedUser15641

you need to do that manually.(deleting w12 character.)But i think w1 is out of the question of moving from w1 to another world.

DeletedUser8627

Let me get this straight, say for example i have an existing character in W12 and W1, and i want to move my W1 character to W12. Will my current W12 Character be deleted and get replaced by my W1 Character?

In a case like this you will need to move your world 1 character to a world you do not play. If you want to have it on world 12 then you will need to delete your world 12 character. Only one character per world.

DeletedUser

In a case like this you will need to move your world 1 character to a world you do not play. If you want to have it on world 12 then you will need to delete your world 12 character. Only one character per world.

That's a good news then, that should prevent some characters to merge their accounts into one super character. Thanks Twista!

By the way, that statement of yours should be highlighted and stickied since it's the very first question that pops into peoples mind once they hear the word Migration or Merging :p

DeletedUser28116

I voted against merging from one world into another existing world; however, I think there should be an experiment whereby players could merge a character could merge into one new world without impacting players who have worked hard to build the world they are in. Two or three of these "merge" worlds could be created. After some set "merge period", these merge worlds would be opened up to new players coming in as greenhorns.