Your Moral Compass

DeletedUser

If I can get someone to pump my gas for me, they're pumping it. And after telling them how much, I'll wander into the store or kiosk and wait until it's time to pay. Pretty much what every one else I know does, too.
In this particular case, the woman has a slight accent and may have been hard to understand, the gas jockey had only just started and was in training. I know this because I am good friends with the mother of the manager of the station.

You're having a bad driving day and in a parking lot you manage to smash the mirror of the car next to you as you're trying to exit. There is no one around who has seen what you have just done. Do you leave a note offering compensation?
If there were a couple of people watching, would you leave a note with truthful info in it?
If you saw that a security camera was pointing in your direction, would you leave a note?

(I've had my mirror broken this way. If you've ever been to Saskatchewan and hit a 2000 Neon, you owe me $90)

DeletedUser

meh, let's not sabotage the spirit of this thread by scrutinizing the OP. I find this thread potentially fun, so let's have fun with it.

Considering that I received two green-rep for my comments, I believe others were wondering the same thing. And I already responded to the "spirit" of the OP. My later responses were to the continued assertion that one's answer to this moral dilemma somehow gives an indication of one's moral compass...

Another example. A small, simple one.
You're having a bad driving day and in a parking lot you manage to smash the mirror of the car next to you as you're trying to exit. There is no one around who has seen what you have just done. Do you leave a note offering compensation?
If there were a couple of people watching, would you leave a note with truthful info in it?
If you saw that a security camera was pointing in your direction, would you leave a note?

(I've had my mirror broken this way. If you've ever been to Saskatchewan and hit a 2000 Neon, you owe me $90)

I've had my car side-swiped this way twice and a tree on my lot hit once. No note. Nothing.

When I was driving and hit some black ice and slowly slid into another car, I didn't leave a note, but I knew the people that I hit and the next day I told them what happened (no damage to their car, but there was damage to mine).

So, yes, I would leave a note (or in some other way contact them).

One thing with the moral dilemmas so far is that it seems to me that how much of a dilemma this is would be dependent on how much money you have. If you have a good amount of money, it's much easier to take the high road. If you are living pay-check to pay-check and trying to feed a couple of kids, it becomes a very real problem...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Considering that I received two green-rep for my comments, I believe others were wondering the same thing.
I hardly ever get green rep nowadays. Seems I'm expected to one-up on all my previous posts. Ah well..

One thing with the moral dilemmas so far is that it seems to me that how much of a dilemma this is would be dependent on how much money you have. If you have a good amount of money, it's much easier to take the high road. If you are living pay-check to pay-check and trying to feed a couple of kids, it becomes a very real problem...
Aye, I thought the same thing when I read this last dilemma. Tying a moral compass to financial resilience makes for saintly rich people and morally bankrupt poor people. Let's see if we can do one that doesn't have the dependency of wealth associated to it.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
It's bad enough that the register is going to be short. You're going to add a complaint to that? Why not just wait outside the store and rob the kid when he leaves.

What if you don't assume the employer if worse or better than yourself, what would you do then?

DeletedUser

This isn't about gas, or money, or students working part-time. It's about finding out where your moral compass is set. What would your reaction be in certain circumstances that seem to call for an immediate moral response? I'll try to come up with another example.

Again, why is this a question about one's moral compass? Paying $50 or not paying $50 has no reflection on someone's morals at all. I don't believe any law is being broken (although there maybe the option for the gas station to empty the tank for the said amount - I'm not sure). Seriously, this is more a discussion about consumer rights than a person's moral compass. I don't think you can judge the person either way. As to their character, well that's a different matter. Gloating is not a particularly nice character trait IMO. :unsure:

Hitting someone's parked car and driving off without leaving a note. Now there is a better guide on someone's morals.

DeletedUser

Hitting someone's parked car and driving off without leaving a note. Now there is a better guide on someone's morals.
But it still has the dependency of financial ability to pay. Being responsible is a lot easier for a rich person if the responsibility entails writing a check. If taking responsibility for a costly mistake means you won't be able to feed your children for a day, societal morals be damned (especially when the issue is something so vain as cosmetic damage to a car).

DeletedUser

But it still has the dependency of financial ability to pay. Being responsible is a lot easier for a rich person if the responsibility entails writing a check. If taking responsibility for a costly mistake means you won't be able to feed your children for a day, societal morals be damned (especially when the issue is something so vain as cosmetic damage to a car).

The US might be different but we have car insurance over here. Moreover, what are you doing in a car if you can't afford to run it?

DeletedUser

Insurance costs are rather exhorbitant, but since it's legally required in most U.S. States, most people have it. Still, most auto insurance carries with it a $500 deductible. As to driving a car when you're financially strapped, tons of people do it everywhere, in every country, in every continent. Cars are transportation, a means to get from one place to the next, a means to travel from/to a job, to drive the kids to/from school, to shop for groceries, etc and so on. They're a necessary expense in many areas of the world. Being able to pay for a car doesn't equate to financial security.

DeletedUser

I'd hand the kid the $10.00 and tell him thanks for the extra $40.00 worth of gas, I asked for $10.00 worth of gas, to me, that's saying,here, enjoy the extra $40.00 worth of gas.

DeletedUser

Yeah, well we already know you're morally bankrupt alex.

edit: you do realize it's your word against theirs as far as paying the gas, right? You walk away, in some places that would be right along the same lines as shoplifting.

DeletedUser

I'm another one who always pumps my own gas, and I also normally fill the tank whenever I do buy any. If that were to happen to me anyway, I'd pay the $50 if I had it on me or make arrangements to pay it later if I didn't. I was once charged for something twice, and rather than make the clerk redo the transaction, I just said I'd take a second one. Time is often a more precious commodity to me than money is so it's not worth the time it takes to argue about it.

DeletedUser

And if the justice system fines me for that,it's my fault, but I think think the kid should give me how much gas i asked for, no more, no less, so it could either turn out good for me, or bad for me, and i'm not bankrupt lol,I just ain't paying more for extra gas, assume my favourite gas staiton i was going to fill up fully later at costed less, why pay more for the same amount of gas?

DeletedUser

Let's see if we can do one that doesn't have the dependency of wealth associated to it.

Since virtually everything we do has money associated with it, it's hard to make a decision that doesn't involve money. If someone is walking behind a person who drops an item, his decision to tell that person may depend on what it is that has been dropped. If it is a glove, he will likely call out "You dropped a glove", without a second thought. If it is a $10 bill, will he do the same? That may well require thinking and therefore a decision.

A non-monetary decision. (nabbed off the internet because I couldn't think of one myself.)
You've been told by your company that it is your responsibility to fill a vacant position within your department. Your friend has applied for the position and is qualified. However, there is another applicant who is even more qualified. Should he give the job to his friend because he has a moral obligation to the friendship or should he be impartial and give the job to the other applicant?

DeletedUser

Since virtually everything we do has money associated with it, it's hard to make a decision that doesn't involve money. If someone is walking behind a person who drops an item, his decision to tell that person may depend on what it is that has been dropped. If it is a glove, he will likely call out "You dropped a glove", without a second thought. If it is a $10 bill, will he do the same? That may well require thinking and therefore a decision.

A non-monetary decision. (nabbed off the internet because I couldn't think of one myself.)
You've been told by your company that it is your responsibility to fill a vacant position within your department. Your friend has applied for the position and is qualified. However, there is another applicant who is even more qualified. Should he give the job to his friend because he has a moral obligation to the friendship or should he be impartial and give the job to the other applicant?

Wouldn't a true friend accept the decision if the reasons were explained to him? Also, this is actually another monetary decision. If not, then why would the person care if they got the job or not?

DeletedUser

Insurance costs are rather exhorbitant, but since it's legally required in most U.S. States, most people have it. Still, most auto insurance carries with it a $500 deductible. As to driving a car when you're financially strapped, tons of people do it everywhere, in every country, in every continent. Cars are transportation, a means to get from one place to the next, a means to travel from/to a job, to drive the kids to/from school, to shop for groceries, etc and so on. They're a necessary expense in many areas of the world. Being able to pay for a car doesn't equate to financial security.

They are in no way a necessary expense. They are a lifestyle choice. "But I live in the country, I need my car". No, if you need to access employment and services then do what millions did in the 18th and 19th centuries, and move to urban areas. I know Americans view cars as an appendage but really there should be a greater emphasis on public transportation. I view a motor vehicle as a means for an individual to lead a particular lifestyle. Heat, light, water and food are necessary expenses.

DeletedUser

Here's a non-monetary moral dilemma for you:

You have a choice between saving the life of your one true love, or saving the lives of ten strangers. Who would you save?

Extend that.... and figure out just how many lives you are willing to sacrifice in order to save your one true love. Give it a number. Would you allow 20 people to die in exchange for the life of your true love? 100 people? 10,000? 100,000? One million? Ten million? Exactly how selfish are you? ;)

DeletedUser

I would have to say the strangers. However, if you change this to saving the life of a great scientist or physician for example, how would that change things? Could 10 lives be justified for the "greater good"? Actually you see this sort of thing in movies. There is often someone sacrificing themselves saying that so and so must live. A slightly different example is in Saving Private Ryan where the squad continually ask why they are risking death for 1 man. What sort of calculation did the commander make when he sent the men to find Ryan?

DeletedUser13113

Let me add another layer to the gas dilemma. It's easy to argue that the kid pumping the gas was at fault because it's hard to understand how the kid got "fifty dollars" from "ten dollars". However, if you had asked for fifteen dollars worth of gas and the kid heard fifty (an easy mistake to make), would your position change? Would you be more ready to come to some compromise? After all, if could have been that you weren't clear and slurred the last part of "fifteen" and left off the "n". As for me, it would matter. If I had asked for ten and they pumped fifty, that's their problem and I have forty dollars of free gas. I shouldn't be held financially responsible for the attendant's lack of attention on the job. If it was fifteen and they pumped fifty, I would be more likely to see what kind of compromise could be made. This of course is dependent on how nice/rude the kid is when telling me of this problem. What is everyone else's opinion on this?

Should he give the job to his friend because he has a moral obligation to the friendship or should he be impartial and give the job to the other applicant?

The one thing that needs to be considered is this: you know your friend and know how he operates and his dependability. You have no idea what this other guy's personal record is like, only what he tells you. I don't think the moral obligation should come into play. However, your personal ties with them gives you first hand knowledge of how they operate and that should also be factored in to the hiring process.

Qualifications are no longer the main credential in deciding who gets a job. Money plays a big role, as usually the more credentials/experience you have the more money you can make. So I have no problem hiring my friend over someone else, if I feel my friend can do a better job. If they have no experience in this position, I would not be hring them.

DeletedUser

Good points cklong. In the issue of the job, I didn't pose an answer because I don't have enough information about my alleged friend, nor sufficient information on the other applicant. Will my friendship factor into the equation? Yes, of course, but as cklong noted, it's because I know how, if, we get along in the workplace and our friendship could make work both more enjoyable and more productive.

And Bendos, I just realized the concept of a "one true love" is immensely subjective. In my book, a "one true love" is the basis for happiness. Others would deem that idea as a butt-licking fantasy and thus dismiss it out of hand.

DeletedUser

Here's a non-monetary moral dilemma for you:

You have a choice between saving the life of your one true love, or saving the lives of ten strangers. Who would you save?

Extend that.... and figure out just how many lives you are willing to sacrifice in order to save your one true love. Give it a number. Would you allow 20 people to die in exchange for the life of your true love? 100 people? 10,000? 100,000? One million? Ten million? Exactly how selfish are you? ;)
I was rather hoping the whole "whose life would you save?" scenario wouldn't come up. I would have preferred the moral choices to have been more applicable to normal, everyday circumstances.

But since you did....

Exchange the "one true love" for "one of my children" and I have no problem imagining myself being willing to sacrifice 10 people for my daughter. 20? Probably. 100? No.
I'd be making sure I was one of the ones sacrificed, btw.

Now you have to answer your own dilemma, Hell.