Your City !!!

DeletedUser

It's an off topic thread. I always have interest to know different cities of the world. I want to know such information which we hardly get in the travel booklets.

If you have time & interest then why not you introduce us with your city?

DeletedUser

Let me introduce my city with you. I am from Dhaka. Dhaka is the capital of the world's Eighth most populous country.

Dhaka is a typical South-Asian city. A very very busy city. You will see a lot of contradictions or 2 different polls very close to each-other like: You will see a man is pulling a rickshaw (tri-cycle) and just beside that you will see a Brand New BMW.

I think Dhaka is the capital of traffic jams too. A lot of traffics and you have to stuck in the road unless it's late night or a holiday.

You will see a lot of shopping malls. Dhaka has the largest shopping mall of South-Asia and soon Dhaka will have the largest shopping mall of Asia. There are a lot of Holiday markets and street markets in the city from where you can buy at a cheap rate.

Dhaka doesn't have good night-life.

Foods are good. If you are a gourmet then you will love the varieties of restaurants. You will get restaurants of almost off types of cuisine. Even the stalls beside streets are also selling delicious foods although you shouldn't touch those unless you want to upset your stomach. :p

Dhaka is pretty secured. I am living in this city for last 24 years (I am 24 years old) and I haven't faced any hijacker yet (I was lucky).

Like other big cities, Dhaka people are pretty busy with their own business and hardly have time to look at you.

If you ever plan to take the flavor of South-Asia then you should visit Dhaka.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhaka

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

your city blows! you got power outages all the time, you somehow disspear so often during FFs due to power going down!

DeletedUser

your city blows! you got power outages all the time, you somehow disspear so often during FFs due to power going down!
Oh yeah, this is (actually was) a burning problem. For last 6 months, situation has improved a lot. On a positive note, Govt is going to install nuclear powered electricity generator and then hopefully the problem will be razed.

DeletedUser35174

my city is the complete opposite to all that.

monaghan in ireland. small town, nice people, friday and saturday night is when it gets exciting all other days its just quiet and normal.

DeletedUser

Taken from http://www.visitnorwich.co.uk/shopping.aspx (the text screaming at you in underlined bold is courtesy of Visitnorwich btw, not me.);

Every visitor soon discovers the delights of the most complete medieval city in England, Norwich. Bursting with cultural vibrancy and heritage buildings, stunning 1000 year old architecture and superb UK top ten shopping; visitors can also enjoy great museums, art galleries and award-winning eateries. Easy to explore on foot, uncover the atmospheric Norwich Lanes (Wahoo! We have roads, yay us! -T) and quaint Cathedral Quarter (IT'S A PIECE OF GRASS SURROUNDED BY FLINT WALLS, AND IT'S NOT EVEN SQUARE! -T), wander through the Royal Arcade and weave around Norwich Market finding tasty local produce (and the delights of watching people vomit into their own underwear! -T). Norwich promotes boundless energy in arts and culture with a full programme of; performance, events, arts festivals, literary celebrations, theatre, classical and modern music including art-house cinema.(Eugh...-T)
The Norwich area has a whole host of museums, theatres, cinemas, arts venues, churches and green spaces catering for families, couples and singles of all ages. Attractions, parks and shops offer half term and school holidays activities from book reading to puppet making whilst adults can enjoy recitals, art galleries and bandstand concerts to name but a few – and most of these things to do are FREE. (Ahahahahaha -T)
With a back drop of 32 medieval churches, 2 cathedrals and a Norman castle shopping in Norwich is a rather unique experience. High street stores, designer brands, independent shops and quirky goods are all on offer in this city listed as one of the top 10 places to shop in the UK. Outside of London’s Oxford Street, Norwich is the only place in the UK to have 4 national department stores (Aren't we exciting! -T) as well as a local independent department store, Jarrold, within its city centre.

Two shopping centres, independent retailers located in the historic Norwich Lanes, Elm Hill and Timberhill (Yes, we have hills! -T) plus contemporary architecture and history. Norwich satisfies even the most sophisticated shopper so whatever your style, taste or pocket you will have great fun discovering the mix this exciting city has to offer.
Norwich and the Norfolk countryside has plenty of night time interests to suit all pockets and all tastes - singles, couples and families. From eating-out and drinking to theatre, cinema and the arts. We are blessed with a magnificent cultural city with a strong heritage teamed with the amazing beauty and tranquility of the Norfolk Broads and countryside. Move effortlessly from day to night with a rich, cultural and diverse choice of restaurants, bars, pubs, theatres, cinemas and arts.
There ya go, there's the propaganda. Oh, I'm sorry, were you asking for some sort of honest down-to-earth review?

Oh, btw, a thing that the above doesn't mention is one of our roads, King Street, used to have 40 pubs, and used to have the highest amount of mental health problems, and was a red destrict for murder.

DeletedUser

Yeah, it's not a bad place actually, just stay away from the top end of King Street and ya'll be OK.

DeletedUser28032

Well I live in Lincolnshire so its farmland and RAF bases as far as the eye can see, closest town to where i live would probably be Grantham home of Isaac Newton and...err...Magaret Thatcher

DeletedUser

/me Frowns because he lives in a village...
Hehe. Let me correct you. You actually live in an Apple tree and that apple tree lives in a village. lolz

Well I live in Lincolnshire so its farmland and RAF bases as far as the eye can see, closest town to where i live would probably be Grantham home of Isaac Newton and...err...Magaret Thatcher
This must be a cool place as you said you've a nearby RAF Base. (RAF as in Royal Air Force, correct?)

DeletedUser

Ahaha, yeah, RAF is Royal Air Force, but how is that a good thing? Dude, they're not visitor centres, all it means is that he gets teh constant noise of planes going overhead (if he will if like me his house is on the flightpath).

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
At the moment I live in a pretty looking ghost town (because it's the student holidays and I'm hanging around).
Soon I'm going to stay in a stupid mining village in the valleys for a few weeks :p

Seriously, I haven't seen another person in days.

PS. - Still got a better nightlife than Dhaka.

Last edited:

DeletedUser28032

Ahaha, yeah, RAF is Royal Air Force, but how is that a good thing? Dude, they're not visitor centres, all it means is that he gets the constant noise of planes going overhead (if he will if like me his house is on the flightpath).

pfft thats what double glazing is for ;) but yeah technically you need a security pass to get on so you can't exactly wander around them as for the flight path *looks out of bedroom window* yep the runway is definetly still there...good thing we haven't got any jets

DeletedUser22685

Hehe, I also live in a town with a former RAAF World War II training base. Now it's an aviation museum. We have the only two flying Spitfires in Australia.

DeletedUser

Sounds like it's time for the RAF to upgrade.

Wait, are you saying that Sopwith Camels are outdated?

pfft thats what double glazing is for ;) but yeah technically you need a security pass to get on so you can't exactly wander around them as for the flight path *looks out of bedroom window* yep the runway is definetly still there...good thing we haven't got any jets

Meh, my house is in the flight path of RAF Lakenheath, they often use Norfolk airspace as a training ground.