Writing Contest August 8 - August 22

DeletedUser

Theme: A Day in the Life
Winner: Victor Kruger - A Mercenary's Life

Content: Role play your character. What does you character do on an average day. How do they interact with others in your town and other towns. Put us in your shoes and walk us through those dusty streets from the Sign Post, past the Hotel and up to the Saloon. If you are a wanderer (townless) then make us feel what it is like to sleep under the open sky with no place to call home. Be very descriptive so we can see your world through your eyes.

Rules: (subject to change)

1. One submission per forum member
  2. Must have a title. The title will appear in the voting poll.
  3. Must include your towns name (if applicable) and world
  4. Mention at least 2 jobs
  5. No god modding
  6. Collaborations are allowed (2 or more authors)
  7. Images (up to 3) relevant to the story are allowed (must be original content).
  8. No links in your story
  9. Once submitted you have one hour to edit your story. Stories edited after this time frame will be deleted.
  10. Your story word count is limited to one post. I believe the limit is 15,000 characters.
  11. All forum rules apply. Any submissions that break the rules will be deleted. No exceptions.
Submissions: Contest runs from August 8th - August 22nd. I will start a thread on the 8th for you to post your stories and close it on August 22nd. Late submissions will not be admissible. If you wish to submit your story anonymously you may do so by sending the story to me by pm on the forum. Please do not send your submissions to me before August 8th.

Winners: A winner will be determined by forum members through voting poll. The poll will run for one week (August 23 - August 30th).

Please do not submit your stories in this thread. This thread is for questions and feedback only.

Wining story will be posted in 'The Broken Saddle', The West.net's official newspaper. I'm going to award a 'badge' for the winner of this contest. They can post it in their sig if they choose. Here is the badge:

k3l0w.jpg

More contests will bring more badges.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Recognition. I'll have contests in graphic arts as well and keep a list of all previous winners with links to their winning entry.

DeletedUser

Please indicate word count parameters. I.e., how small to how large?

DeletedUser

There is no word count parameter. I thought about it but there is no word count option on the forum and I really don't want to be bothered by transferring it to a word document in order to actually count the words.

So basically as short or as long as you like. It must be limited to one post though. I believe the total character count you can have in one post is 15,000 characters.

Edit: I'll see if I can come up with an actual prize as well. Stay tuned in for updates on that.

DeletedUser8950

For a prize they could get a medal, as does everyone who wins, or something like that. I'm not sure

DeletedUser

Well if theres something shiny up for grabs I guess I'll have to participate. I bet your all dying to know a day in the life of scwanobi.

DeletedUser

I want neither a kiss from a girl nor to commit bigamy, but an awesomely cool signature would be both cool and awesome.

Who gets to judge the masterpieces?

DeletedUser

The viewer, there will be a poll :)

But really, I do not see the point in this because there are different age ranges, Helstronn is probably an avid writer and he's far too educated to just be some 18 year old sitting at the computer, for all we know he could be a professional writer for petes sake!

I think there Should be 3 age groups in Competition:

Pre-Teen: 3-12

Teen:13-17

Adult: 18 and above

There is no sence in pitting a 5 year old against a 28 year old. We know who most often would win.

DeletedUser

Don't stress it David, I am going to be putting in a story for the fun of it but I will not be a participant in this competition.

DeletedUser

Ohh, *sigh of relief*

Thank you hellstromm, I was afraid that I would have to go up against adults in this... Trust me, a 15 year old with a mind of nothing vs Adults with skills means the 15 yearold loses quick... lol.

DeletedUser

David, its the internet. Anyone can be a 15 year old girl or a 30 year old man. And we all know we are supermodel hot. :nowink:

No age groups.

DeletedUser

David, if you would like you could pm me your story once your finished and I could give you some pointers before you submit it. Help you level the playing field a little. And I would save it just in case you need a story for English class. Its always nice to have a project done before they even assign it. While everyone is stressin out over it you can sit back and relax.

DeletedUser

Howdy

So where do we post our entries? In this forum? or is there a seperate thread for it? :blink:

DeletedUser

Submissions: Contest runs from August 8th - August 22nd. I will start a thread on the 8th for you to post your stories and close it on August 22nd. Late submissions will not be admissible. If you wish to submit your story anonymously you may do so by sending the story to me by pm on the forum. Please do not send your submissions to me before August 8th.
From the original post

DeletedUser

Good call on the no age groups. You can still be creative even if your writing skills are lacking.

DeletedUser

Ok, this is a thread to ask questions about the contest. If you don't have a question about the contest then please don't post here.

DeletedUser11583

Hmm...a day in the life...I'm not really too certain that I'm that into this game...