Writer's Table

• Thread starter Thomas Franklin
  • Start date

DeletedUser

I named this after those things literature teachers and professors go to.

This is just a thread to talk about writing at, if no other threads like this have been opened.

DeletedUser14280

Do you think that the quality of a movie lies in its writing?

I don't think so, not all of the time, anyway.
Just look at Monty Python, he has completely absurd films.

DeletedUser

Monty Python was not a person, it was a comedy group. And it was their comedy (the writing) that made it so incredibly entertaining.

DeletedUser14280

It's easier for me to refer to the Monty Python group as a person.
And are you thinking of the movies filled with sketches, or stuff like Life of Brian?

DeletedUser

It was a British TV show much like America's SNL.
Most of the movies composed of sketches where straight from Monty Python and the Flying Circus TV show.

I feel that the writing plays into the plot of the movies. So if the writing sucks the movie normally flops.

DeletedUser

Movies are like books: without writing they are nothing, even if they're slapstick.
Like:
Drama/Tragedy/Fine Literature - A good movie from that genre relies on the ideas and skill in making emotional/interesting writing (to the best I understand it).
Comedy - A good movie in that genre relies on being humorous, and the humor has to be written and then executed well.

Also, in the case of Action, you can have an Action movie that has enough spec effects and eye candy to make up for a bad plot, but its still writing: how did those scenes end up in it?

DeletedUser

Well sounds like the actions work you are describing must be a Steven Seagal Movie.

DeletedUser

I've never heard of him. I was actually thinking of one of Adelei's posts in JR's (oh, my hands feel dirty after typing his name) Movie of the Week thread, referring to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

DeletedUser

Not a true Action movie, but that's an example of Spec effects.

DeletedUser

As fascinating as this is, it doesn't belong in the GAM section. Moving it to Debates.

DeletedUser

I think writing is really important in movies. It has to be vivid enough to create the characters and tell the story. The dialogue has a lot of work to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjEcj8KpuJw

Hahahahaha! I can't take it! Hahahahaha!

Brilliant :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

True, but that only effects movies and TV. I guess you could call the acting "execution" like with execution in books.

DeletedUser

I think it's just like cooking. You can have the best ingredients, but not combining/cooking them correctly, your chances of success are slim. On the other hand, using precise instructions won't help if you use the wrong ingredients.

The best writing seldom makes up for lousy acting/directing, etc., but the best acting seldom makes up for lousy writing either. They have to be a combined effort for success.

DeletedUser

True, but that only effects movies and TV. I guess you could call the acting "execution" like with execution in books.

Too simplified, and false.
The quality of writing affects several other stages than the movies and television.

I think it's just like cooking. You can have the best ingredients, but not combining/cooking them correctly, your chances of success are slim. On the other hand, using precise instructions won't help if you use the wrong ingredients.

The best writing seldom makes up for lousy acting/directing, etc., but the best acting seldom makes up for lousy writing either. They have to be a combined effort for success.

True, and I'm glad you mentioned directing in there as opposed to the rest whom feels it all rests on the brilliance of the actors.

DeletedUser

The Writing of the script is important but not necessarily the writing of the plot.
Order of Importance:
Script/Dialogue Writing
Directing
Acting
Plot Writing
Music
Effects

DeletedUser

I'm just going to say you are outright wrong.
Ordering them in importance is just wrong, as a complete lack of quality in one will pull the other down into the murky depths of crap as well.

DeletedUser

The thing about effects is - sometimes some of the best aren't even noticed because they compliment the movie rather than just looking good for their own qualities. I hope that made sense.