Would you like to see Awesomia battle Join restrictions continue?

Should join restrictions continue to be employed on Galveston GM Awesomia battles?

• Yes, all (GM Awesomia) battles.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only during events.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goober Pyle

The West Team
Fort Balancing Strategist
During this past Easter event I introduced the use of join restrictions to attempt to balance these battles. Some efforts have worked better than others and the results are subject to my availability to view the numbers, interpret and project the balance, and change the restrictions.

From my vantage point it has generally resulted in better battles, but understand their popularity varies widely.

I am willing to (dis)continue these efforts on a world by world basis, so am asking for your feedback (poll in each world's out-game forum) on whether I should.

Oddersfield

Goober,

Could you list exactly what different join restrictions you have tried in these GM Awesomia ffs? The only specific one I remember is nobody above level 100. As I am above that level, I have no clue how successful the ff was. I am inclined to believe it has merit on worlds where there is a large ff player base, but on small worlds like Galve I would guess it is the opposite.

Pankreas PorFavor

Goober,

Could you list exactly what different join restrictions you have tried in these GM Awesomia ffs? The only specific one I remember is nobody above level 100. As I am above that level, I have no clue how successful the ff was.

Why didn't you join the side that didn't have this restriction and see how successful the battle was? If defense was blocked to anyone above lvl 100, you could've joined the attack, right? Or am I missing something?

Goober Pyle

The West Team
Why didn't you join the side that didn't have this restriction and see how successful the battle was? If defense was blocked to anyone above lvl 100, you could've joined the attack, right? Or am I missing something?
Yes, I am very careful to never* to set restrictions that would prevent anyone from joining at all; Even when I am switching from one side restricted to the other I always remove the restriction first.

Note: it is technically feasible (though highly unlikely) you try to join a restricted side right before I flip the restriction, and then try the other side just after the restriction is flipped and have the impression both sides are restricted.

* except of course when that is the goal such as a designed battle or a battle cancelation

Goober Pyle

The West Team
Goober,

Could you list exactly what different join restrictions you have tried in these GM Awesomia ffs? The only specific one I remember is nobody above level 100. As I am above that level, I have no clue how successful the ff was. I am inclined to believe it has merit on worlds where there is a large ff player base, but on small worlds like Galve I would guess it is the opposite.

Generally speaking:
I try to dig battles with ~48h to go. I give ~24h (preferably at least that, but will make exceptions if signups are exceptionally imbalanced) for friends to join sides together. Then I check in from time to time, consider the number of signups on each side, use my judgment as to whether a restriction will be needed at some point, and if so put one in place. Usually I choose between level 149, 120, 100, or 1, depending on the degree of imbalance, the world, and my projected availability to keep checking in. I only restrict one side at a time. (well, technically I restrict tho other side to "Level <151" to make it possible to adjust the restrictions from my phone)

Oddersfield

I didn't know you could join the other side. All it said when I tried to join was restricted to level 1 to 100 players or something similar. No mention of still being able to join the other side in the text box that appeared.

Not sure I really agree with anybody dictating what side you can join anyway based simply on the time you decide to sign up.

Goober Pyle

The West Team
I didn't know you could join the other side. All it said when I tried to join was restricted to level 1 to 100 players or something similar. No mention of still being able to join the other side in the text box that appeared.

Not sure I really agree with anybody dictating what side you can join anyway based simply on the time you decide to sign up.

Well, it’s not based simply on the time, it’s based on the existing signups with the proviso that if you sign up early you’ll have free choice.

I apologize if the forum announcements, saloon topics, and saloon message were insufficiently clear.