World cup 2014

Ripwise

Hello all :)

As you know world cup is starting in litle less than 2 days. Its an event that billion people follows :) My country is playing opening match with Brazil.

What are your thoughts on the teams? Which one do you think will be in the finals? thoughts on which ones will pass the group stage?

Let the discussion begin :)

DeletedUser28032

Well seen as I drew Bosnia for the office sweepstake I am backing them to win. On a more realistic level Brazil or Argentina not overly big on football so can't really go any further than that

DeletedUser31931

I think that England's got a real chance this year, we can go all the way, beat the rest and reclaim gold, this time's the time, the time we claim back our glory, just like it is every time. Let's go. :p

DeletedUser

More importantly, is it right that Brazil should be hosting extravagant the World Cup this year (and the Olympics in a few years time) rather than focusing on the massive gap between rich and poor, as well as the gang culture in many of their cities?

DeletedUser31931

In terms of this topic, I share the same view towards this as I do with India having a space program. India, with one of the world's largest poverty rates and was up until recently accepting aid, has a space program. How wrong is that?

If you have massive divides between rich and poor and you can't even control parts of your city (and they can't) then you shouldn't be spending the money on the World Cup. Simple.

DeletedUser33353

Errrrr, is this soccer? Can not comment on it but, wish the teams well.

DeletedUser28032

No my dear chap this is the jolly old game of football :p

India, with one of the world's largest poverty rates and was up until recently accepting aid, has a space program. How wrong is that?

From what I gather India wasn't so much accepting aid money but was rather being forced to take aid money even though they said they didn't want it

Ripwise

Croatia-Brasil 1-3 and i won myself a box of beer(bet involved on correct result) :)

I wasnt against my nations team but, to be realistic, Brasil is BRasil when it comes to performance.

Cant wait for the next game against Mexico :D

DeletedUser30224

Is it too late for me to say that I believe Spain will not get out of group stages? :D

Ripwise

Is it too late for me to say that I believe Spain will not get out of group stages? :D

Nope, you aint late. They had terrible performance last 2 games and i believe its already to late for them.

PS: I see Croatia in finals :D

DeletedUser

Chile will beat Netherlands :D winks at Desi :p

No, no, just no :no:

Hmm maybe they will, we'll see :p

But to be honest, I didn't initially think of Chile as a real threat, but it actually turns out that maybe I should :p That aside, yesterday's match against Australia was great :D I didn't expect that much resistance from the socceroos (which is just another way of saying that I suck at predicting outcomes :p) Anyway, we'll see what the future brings us :)

DeletedUser1121

France played a great game yesterday. Outsiders for the trophy imho

Ripwise

Idk, we will see who will stay in 1/8 finals after group stage is over.

Im thinking best striker will be Karim Benzema and best goalkeeper Ochoa(Chile).

Ripwise

Croatia played a terrible game against Mexico and Mexicans deserved every bit of that win.

Oh well, European championship is in 2 years, better luck then maybe :)