Words of Wisdom

DeletedUser

• Never try to stare down a cat, you end up a cropper every time

DeletedUser14280

Actually, I've tried staring down a cat.
The kitty looked away rather than blink.

DeletedUser21689

Just been shopping at B&Q and saw a 2,000,000 candle power torch. Why would anyone want one of those? and, how did they decide on that amount? Did they put 1,000,000 candles in a cellar and say, ' can't see a bleedin thing in here'. 'What i need is another 1,000,000 candles.

Remember.. Its okay for them to hate you. You just have to hate them back;)

DeletedUser

Just been shopping at B&Q and saw a 2,000,000 candle power torch. Why would anyone want one of those? and, how did they decide on that amount? Did they put 1,000,000 candles in a cellar and say, ' can't see a bleedin thing in here'. 'What i need is another 1,000,000 candles.

Candle power is determined by Lumens, a measure of light.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_(unit) For more details.

Never p!ss into the wind.

DeletedUser21689

Yes but why so many, and if someone said to you, ' How big an area does 1 candle light'? Could you discribe that enough for anyone to understand. I.e, is it this big o, or this big O?

Die-in aint much of a livin boy.

DeletedUser

If you're going to piss against the wind, make sure you're covered in cookies.

DeletedUser11019

only the insane may prosper ,but who ever prospers can truly say what is sane

(got that from a warhammer book)

DeletedUser

If you're going to piss against the wind, make sure you're covered in cookies.

I think we all know your recipe for piss-soaked cookies, Hellstromm, we've all tried a few at one point or another here at the forums. I didn't like them, so I said piss on it and threw them into the garbage. However, others seem to like your piss-coated cookies, especially Alex and Tiny Thomas, they find them delectable! It must be a matter of taste... Nothing like the sweet smell of amonia coming out of the oven :laugh:

DeletedUser

My English is far from perfect, but either I don't understand what you guys are talking about right now, or you guys are talking about some weeeeird stuff, and I think it's the last one. :razz:

DeletedUser21689

Another thing i don't understand is tog amounts. Who in all honesty understands what tog levels are in quilts.

...Give me food and you will feed me. Give me a knife and fork and i will feed myself.

DeletedUser

Yes but why so many, and if someone said to you, ' How big an area does 1 candle light'? Could you discribe that enough for anyone to understand. I.e, is it this big o, or this big O?

Die-in aint much of a livin boy.

I'll try to clear up the candels issue, but please give me some time to edit in everything i need for the full explanation.

Candel(s) or cd is a SI (system internationale, french) measurment unit for light flux per unit of surface. It has a value of 1/683 W (watts) per steradian, when the source emitts a monocromatic radiation at frequency of 540 * 10^12.

Now what i wrote up there is the definition, and now for the explanation. If you read the wiki link someone posted things might be unclear, unless you have a background in differential mathematics, and some physics with it.

Imagine a light source, as tiny as you can, it has no wires leading to it, it radiates light in every possible direction, in all sides at once. If you cann't imagine that, just try it with a lightbulb in an open space. That will do just fine.

Now, i will say that the light itself carries some enery with it. That shouldn't be too hard to concieve, if you get very close to a lightbulb you should feel warmer. The warmth is transfered by another type of radiation, but it will do for this purpose. The warmth is the energy emitted by the light source and absorbed by you.

Now that we have the light source and that we know the light carries some energy with it, we should have a small discussion. I will say that the light emitted by the lightbulb is constant in time. Should the bulb perform some flickering the light would not be constant in time. Is there a problem with the term "constant in time"?

Also, you should take notice that i've started to mention energy and light in the same context which in this case should not be too concerning since we're dealing with a lightbulb, and are discussing just it.

So, if there is no flickering in the bulb the light emitted and the energy emitted are constant in time. (summing up) Since the light is beeing emitted in all the directions at once (this is not our level of discussion, but some branches of modern physics might have a problem with this sentance, depending on how you look at the experiment, for now, just take notice that we agree that the light is beeing emitted continously into all the possible directions all the time) the light is emitted in a full sphere. Now, let's take a sphere of a radius a. You can imagine this as a ball of sorts with a small light source at it's centre.

Now some math. The volume of a sphere is 4/3*(PI)*a^3. This volume contains some energy, it's the energy of all the light that is currently inside the sphere and has been emitted by our source. The next thing is a bit tough to understand. The ammount of energy emitted from the bulb is equal to the ammount of enery passing through the outer shell of the ball of radius a.

This is true, because of: If it was not true, we would have an energy sink inside the sphere of radius a, and that is in direct conflict with the law of conservation of energy. And again, if you have a higher level of understanding of physics you might say that this is not true, but again this aproximation is good enough for this case.

So, the energy going out of our ball is equal to the ammount of energy emitted, again summing up for clarification, and that is true because our lightbulb is not flickering.

Now, in a single unit of time (you can percieve that as one second), the ammount of energy that passed through the outter shell is E. Energy (E) per unit of time equals to E/t, which is basicly power measured in watts.

Consider now if we had a bigger ball, with a radius of b, where b > a. The same discussion is valid. And the same conclusion is, the ammount of energy passing through the outter shell is the same, E/t.

The surface of a whole ball is 4*(PI)*a^2 and the surface of the bigger ball is 4*(PI)*b^2. And the surface of ball b is larger than the surface of ball a, yet the energy passing through both balls is the same. How can that be?

The solution is in the magic word "steradian", which is a measure of the "space angle". I'm not sure this is the correct phrase in english, i'm translating from my native language in which that is the accepted term.

Now i guess there are troubles somewhere, with all that i've wrote down. I hope i did explain a bit how to imagine what a candle is. If there are any questions, please do post them, i'm happy to help out if possible.

Just to sum up again, a candle (cd) is a measure of power of light divided by the surface area that it hits. And to finnaly give an answer to your question, 1 candle can light up any area, but the ammount of the total surface it shines on will in the end determine if you will see it or not, ofcourse that depends on the strenght of your perception. And to complicate things once again, even 2 million candels doesn't mean you'll see something, if the surface is large enough.

DeletedUser11019

My English is far from perfect, but either I don't understand what you guys are talking about right now, or you guys are talking about some weeeeird stuff, and I think it's the last one. :razz:

its helstrommes idea of baking cookies,,he urinates on them
and from the chlorine,,you could make detergents,,and the sulphur ..MATCH STICKS!!

proverb = a stitch in time saves nine.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

its helstrommes idea of baking cookies,,he urinates on them
and from the chlorine,,you could make detergents,,and the sulphur ..MATCH STICKS!!

proverb = a stitch in time saves nine.

That is some ehm,... interesting recipe... :D

DeletedUser

Movie saying: Did your parents drop you on the head, or were you hurrled across the room into a wall?