Why Lie?

DeletedUser

I find it interesting, how so many people "lie" on the internetz. Whether it is their age, their gender, their education, I just find it fascinating how lieing on the internet has become so dang common.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8627

Didn't you know everyone lives a double life?

One is their normal life as an average person and then the other is the cool, outstanding smart guy who is rich and all that jazz trolling Facebook.

DeletedUser

Yeah, but so many of them are not cool even when they lie, so is it an effort to repair their personal lives, or is it yet one more demonstration of why they're so pathetic? See, that's what I can't quite figure out.

DeletedUser

I would imagine that people might lie on the internet to seem more acceptable to the larger group. People tend to clique.

DeletedUser

Hmm, and if that doesn't work for them, why continue to lie?

DeletedUser

[spoil]
ru3FM.png
[/spoil]

Yeah, but so many of them are not cool even when they lie, so is it an effort to repair their personal lives, or is it yet one more demonstration of why they're so pathetic? See, that's what I can't quite figure out.

if you're an idiot in real life you're going to be an idiot on the internet... and holy dung there are idiots on the internet.

DeletedUser563

People lie on the internet because they have a sense of invisibility that they wont have in real life. For example I could be a woman. There is therefore a sense of freedom that one wouldnt have in real life. Mostly also if you think a person is a liar you are coating his opinions and words with your opinions and sense of truth and lie. I generally have a sense that most people are honest anyway. You can anyway protect yourself by demanding some conditions before you say sell this person a boone's axe or whatever. And lets be honest how much is our interaction worth in daily life. Its not like you will meet most or any people in RL. So why would you waste so much time in trying to prove what he is saying is wrong. Eish i guess madness comes in different forms in online games.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Also humor ... never chew the fat with cafee owners ,employees or a person who is almost always online. Why they have the whole day to think up some kind of nonsense story about your other friends or what someone else did or some baloney story about themselves. This is a way of entertainment for them.

DeletedUser

Also humor ... never chew the fat with cafee owners ,employees or a person who is almost always online. Why they have the whole day to think up some kind of nonsense story about your other friends or what someone else did or some baloney story about themselves. This is a way of entertainment for them.

or if it's a women cus... there are none on the internet.

DeletedUser28032

Actually I would have thought people would more likely to be an idiot on the internet because you have a certain amount of anomymity so you wouldn't suffer the same repurcussions than if you was to act that way in RL.
Personally i can't say that i actullay lie on the internet, i'll omit certain truths but as for outright lying...whats the point?

DeletedUser

Personally i can't say that i actullay lie on the internet, i'll omit certain truths but as for outright lying...whats the point?
I guess that's my point. I am constantly encountering people posing, claiming to have degrees, acting like they have more experience, more years, more braincells than is even remotely believable considering their presentation and demonstrated ignorance. So, what's the point?

DeletedUser563

Some people draw inferences from people chewing the fat on a game forum as to their intelligence? They expect them to research debates for hours despite them having extremely busy lives? Thats my problem with the debate forum. Were people can just give their take on other forums . In the debate section there is this expectation to submit almost threads worthy of a doctoral thesis.

So in short we are not all rich or retired which allows us hours to devote to debates. We have mostly little time. I'm certain there is debate forums where these people could debate people on this basis.. were they actually are hobbyist debaters Here dont expect much. There is no rule that says you must research anything. So therefore calling a person stupid as he do not agree in essence with your point of views isnt actually genius anyway either.

Im just wondering whether its the Big Fish in a small pond scenario and whether these people will survive in a big pond.

Also do you want to? Is a forum like this not more social than a debates forum. Do people not tend to make more attempts at humor. Anyway work calls.

I therefore think these people must make up their mind. Do they want to life in the big or small pond.
Could I submit an idea to delete the debates forum? :p

Ps: Since some people doubt my qualifications here is a bit of code to lighten up their existence. Just a bit of word automation.

nbrrows = adoReport.Recordset.RecordCount
oWordActiveDoc.Tables(1).Rows(1).Cells(1).Select
oWordSel.InsertRowsBelow (nbrrows)

DeletedUser

Ps: Since some people doubt my qualifications here is a bit of code to lighten up their existence.
Interesting. I wasn't aware we were talking about you. Projecting perhaps?

Anyway so you're saying that when someone lacks the education, and doesn't have the time to research information, they lie about their credentials to try and give credibility to their statements? Backing up their opinions with fakery instead of facts?

DeletedUser

I guess the point becomes whether or not we can be honest people. Can we admit we don't know everything about every topic? Why would we want to have a debate and discussion forum that was only for uninformed opinion? Why wouldn't we want to find out real information about topics and develop informed opinions? It is true that during the course of our lives we are flooded with partial bits of information from the news, other people and various sources all around us. We often make opinions based on this. I think it is nice to have a place where people can get into some of that. In this world it is often difficult to find the truth about things. Most sources present information skewed for their purposes. So debates and discussions is a good place to work out some of that... to bring facts and sources out so they can be examined and viewed and then attempt to uncover/reveal essential data and free it from the bias it is usually wrapped in.

So maybe that does take a lot of time and energy, but I think it is certainly a worthwhile endeavor for anyone who has the time to invest in it. But just because someone might not have the time to debate here doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.... There are other places on this forum that people can chat about things in a less formal manner. But I don't think anyone should expect to be able to share uninformed opinions without also expecting correction from people who are informed. Don't you want to know the truth?

DeletedUser563

My time budget:

Days in the month out of office: 10
In office:10
In other towns:3-7/10
IT work at office:30 hours a month
Programming for my office or for hobby projects:about 100 -400 hours a month.
Social activities: 8 hours a week.
Entertainment the balance that is left.

Considering that my workload is for my in office jobs almost double that of my out of office stuff. You can see perhaps why I cannot dedicate more than say 20 minutes to any topic. Researching a topic is impossible.

@Hellstromm: No I meant a dark owl eats little mice usually at breakfast. Twist words much do you? The meaning of my words was quite clear. Arent you the native english speaker not I?

DeletedUser

Why Lie, Part 2.

Hellstromm: " Why Lie?
I find it interesting, how so many people "lie" on the internetz. Whether it is their age, their gender, their education, I just find it fascinating how lieing on the internet has become so dang common."

I think you might be missing the obvious connection. People who lie online are very likely lying offline, too. So a better question might be "Why do people lie?" Now that would be an interesting discussion.

To the mod: I realize that the original thread was closed and I can see exactly why. But I wanted to put in my two cents (and perhaps up that to a quarter or more if you let this thread run its course.)

DeletedUser

Lying is done in self-interest, ultimately, because doing so would put one in a better circumstance than telling the truth.

DeletedUser

Lying is done in self-interest, ultimately, because doing so would put one in a better circumstance than telling the truth.

... But ultimately in a worse circumstance than the truth would in the 1st place, when the truth surfaces. And it usually does.
I always considered that being truthful is always better. Specially when starting a relationship with another person. When you show your true colors from the start, you are appreciated for what you are. The ones who appreciate you for what you really are, are your true friends and will stick around forever. Those who appreciate you for what you pretend to be will finally move on when they find out the truth.
Why people lie? Ultimately because they have self esteem issues. They do not trust that the truth about them will get them attention and friends, they do not trust themselves and do not like their own life and character enough to be proud of what and who they really are. That's my humble opinion.

DeletedUser30834

IT will sound scary, but I'm going to have to side with Rice Farmer on this.

I know a guy who never wears his seatbelt while driving and if he gets pulled over, he exists the vehicle as soon as it stops to avoid the cop from actually witnessing it. Then the cop has to ask him if he was wearing it and he tells them yes. One of the cops wrote him a ticket for it once and he successfully challenged it in court.

But I have to ask Duduie, isn't self esteem issues sort of saying the same thing as Rice Farmer? If their self esteem is low and they think they can raise it by not telling the truth, are they not acting in what they think is their self interest in attempting to gain friend and so on?

I think in addition to what has been mentioned, that some people end up creating some false reality surrounding causes they want to support for whatever reason and they will ignore relevant facts or evidence that is contrary to the actual belief they want to maintain or even incorporate contrary evidence to somehow support their incorect conclusions of it. Here is some light reading on the topic.
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/07/11/how_facts_backfire/