Why don't you fort fight?

Bad Billy Jack

Instead of us FFers trying to figure this out, it would be most helpful if you all told us why you don't! How could the game be changed so that you would change your mind?

Please help us with your ideas & suggestions here.

Thank You!

DeletedUser

At various times I just have to take a break from the fort fighting myself, the sheer monotony of it sometimes becomes overwhelming.

There is a lack of diversity in fort fighting (forts over history evolved and changed and so did the tactics to attack/seize those forts, what we have in TW is a stagnant fort system).

Other contributing factors are in no particular order :

1. A poor (bad choice of words here, let's use "less than optimal") AI system for offline players. The ranking General has no idea at the time of ranking whether or not a player has set their destination and in nearly every battle there are players who sign up and stand still on the attacking side making them nearly useless. The AI is setup so that the attackers who didn't set a movement point go for the flag but as long as the flag isn't blocked and there's a path to the flag, the offline attackers can be manipulated into circling the fort (one example)
2. Battle rules that make absolutely no sense at times (a defend for example will shoot at the nearest opponent rather than the one taking the flag and sealing their doom), sector blocking on the outside of a fort is completely ridiculous especially for a single sector like the center north that spans more than 1/2 the length of your fort, a character can "ghost" while sitting on flag even when (theoretically) 120 defenders or 140 attackers are shooting at him/her (if you place yourself on an elevated mound in the middle of the fort with only a flag pole for protection, how much should you really be allowed to ghost?)
3. Politics and Whining. Each person has there own threshold for how much vile chat they can tolerate and on occasion my switch gets flipped on this subject and I have to step away. Sometimes it's not vile, just stupid chat where you get a person who is so disagreeable that they'd argue the sky isn't blue if you indulge them and in a large chat room someone will indulge that type of person too. This occurs in the in game chats as well as the chatango chats. I also don't like going battles that block the battle chats of lower level and base the ranking on HP for example (if I'm at 4000HP and need a swap but can't ask for it in the battle chat because the chat filter blocker limits chats to CAPT and above then my options are whisper or chatango to arrange for a swap in 60 seconds or less - no thanks - - - if you don't want to hear my voice then obviously the sound of my gun bothers you too so I'll stay away .... there's a valid reason to restrict the chat in game for fort battles but there are team players within that restriction that are hurt and get frustrated by this restriction as well and on occasion it's p*ssed me off enough to trigger a "break" from fort fighting).
4. Burnout. I play on 16 worlds and just once I tried to go exclusively fort fighting on all worlds. The experiment lasted about 1 day because the amount of time required for a single fort fight is substantial when you consider what you can accomplish in game play if you did "something else". I did 9 fort battles in 4 hours and was leading 2 of them (never again, it's a game and that wasn't fun).
5. Something else : There are many other aspects of the game like crafting, questing, collecting, achievement ranks, etc. that distract me from fort fighting on many worlds.
6. Rejection : Fort Fighting in some worlds is based so much on HP that if you don't have 3000HP then why bother to even show up if you're not online and friends with person doing the ranking. There is no reward or incentive for just "showing up" and in fact it could get you KO'd at a big battle. There are certain worlds where I'm know well enough that I'll get ranked just by showing up even if I'm offline but other worlds I have to beg a plead to be allowed into a battle where a 10,000 HP take sits in the back of the crowd until the end of the battle (so I have beg to be allowed to fight with people who have no clue about movement, blocking, shielding, chats and how to follow orders ... no thanks, I'll pass).
7. Cash, as in too much of it : If I'm close to a battle (close as in distance minus travel time) but I'm carrying a large amount of cash on me, I'll pass. It's easier to keep working while most of the active players are at a fort fight anyway (they're distracted by the fight, duelers will swoop into the fort battles to kill the offline wounded and I'm left alone if I'm far enough away from the fort).
8. Depression. This is a game and should be fun. When it's not fun but more of an exercise in futility, then it gets depressing and that's not why I play games. I get enough depression in RL and I don't need any more of it in a game. If I turn a fort over to someone (no names here) because I'm not sure if I'll be online to lead or not and that person does something totally boneheaded in the defense of the fort and loses the fort, I get mad/frustrated/depress and have to step away for a few days rather than lay into the person like I really want to and that would make me one of the vile chatters which I referred to above.

I'm sure there are more and I'll add to them as I think of them, but that's just a start.

DeletedUser

on w6 our alliance, WFA Western Force, just achieved total fort dominance. We own every fort in the world. Yes, every fort. Pop in and ask our leaders Darth Husker and/or Biggz how they ranked people, who was assigned tower spots and who rotated where. The Legion will never achieve what we already have, you have to check your ego at the door and protect each other unselfishly to win like we have.
Written On 8/06/12 at 9:14 PM

I see a world where ff are team sports instead of ego driven xp/bond fests. In my world the higher hp players stay up front to absorb as many of the hits as possible, thus keeping more people alive, more guns firing with los. Captain bars would be for the weak who need to be protected, chevrons are available only after a player graduates up to that lvl of hp and weaponry with proven bravery. Hiders would be marked as traitors. People follow orders the 1st time. No one with 10 k hp would be caught dead hiding in the middle of the pack to "save" their hp.
Written On 11/05/12 at 5:13 AM

chuck42, level 120 from THE ULTIMATE REBELS
I'm really getting tired of being bumped around by all the captains. Today I was pushed down to the bottom, being the ONLY person in the bottom row I was dead immediately. This is far from the first time so I got offline after exchanging pleasantries with the person who bumped me this time. I've asked for bars as an onliner and been told that I don't reach the hp standard to get bars. Right, I'm a dueler with most of my stats in predueling the very fort fights I get bumped around in. This is backwards. You should be protecting those with lower hp who have been predueling for you, keeping more guns on the enemy. Instead I have been treated like a second class citizen.

chuck42
Written Today at 4:01 AM Edited by chuck42 Today at 4:02 AM

[Town's Founder] FilthyPete, level 120 from Eastwick
Sorry you see it like that, but please don't think that pre-duelling helps. Almost no-one goes to battle with much less than full health, especially when there are so many ways to heal (medicine and potions). In battles, the main thing that counts is health - if you had more health you'd have survived being bumped to the south.

Unfortunately there are really too many very high health players to be able to justify giving a Captain rank to people who haven't specced purely for fort fighting. My personal threshold for Captain rank is 5000 hp for non-soldiers, and 8000 hp for soldiers, and I often have more than 30 Captains already.

The best plan is if you get stacked, try talking to the person who stacked you, then try asking a general to fix the situation (I often will find a way if I'm a General), or alternatively find an offliner who isn't ranked, and stack on them, that way you'll not get bumped.

-- Pete.
Written Today at 4:47 AM

[Town's Councillor] chuck42, level 120 from THE ULTIMATE REBELS
If predueling is completely devalued I will stop doing it. I will also stop supporting fort battles. I just uploaded and watched the battle on westforts. Surprisingly, I had 14 hp at the end of round 4. I was disgusted with the situation and signed off after being bumped and exchanging pleasantries.

Thanks for the heads up. I will attend fort fights on other worlds.
Written Today at 5:11 AM
Written On 8/05/12 at 1:34 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Want to edit that ridiculous font so your post can be read without squinting?

DeletedUser6752

It sounds like what chuck42 is saying (and you know, Elmyr, that re-fonting a cut & paste conversation is a PITA) is that many people's experience is that unless you fully commit yourself to fort fighting by putting all your AP and SP in fort fighting skills and essentially abandoning every other aspect of the game, you're treated like you don't even belong in the battle.
I'm pretty sure chuck42 doesn't play in more than a handful of worlds and doesn't have the luxury of being in an alliance like we have in w4, where everybody is pretty much treated fairly in-battle - yeah, it's helpful if you have more HP, but we do welcome everyone willing to fight and do our best to protect those with lower HP with 'tanks'.
So chuck is stuck trying to do fort fights in an environment where the only requirement, apparently, is HP over 5k - it sounds to me like a ridiculous number of captains running around the battlefield and the focus is only on winning - and strange as it would have sounded when forts first came out, winning ALL the forts might be an impressive accomplishment on the surface, but it defeats the purpose of fort fighting being part of a GAME, and ruins the fort fighting aspect for most players.

The town founder's "solution" in chuck's conversation is not a solution at all - find someone unranked and stack on them? That's no guarantee you won't be bumped at all. There's someone whose concern does not extend past his own wants.

DeletedUser

I disagree about hiding being as endemic as chuck42 seems to think. Win or lose I've never finished a real battle with full hp. On w11, most of the duelers are not even hiders. They generally have good hp and aren't afraid to take point on their own tower, as everyone should be willing to do, though adventurer hp is better spent elsewhere than tanking. He's dead wrong about new worlds lacking in team work.

I'm not going to lie though, battles as they are now on new worlds are not as fun as they used to be. They've lost most of their grace and aren't nearly as dynamic as they used to be. They still have their moments, but it's not the same.

Speaking from personal experience, world domination sucks on both sides and is worse for the world and the game than excessive hp. The way w12 is going, we could achieve it, but winning 9 out of our last 10 attacks (3 large, 7 medium) has already gotten old. I want good competitive battles, not forts. I'd rather lose a good battle than win a bad one. Current hp means most wins are flag rushes, which are fun on occasion, but not when you have to take the flag every battle to win.

I think for most it comes down to getting tired of getting stacked (I don't blame them of not liking it for the most part, but in the case of defenses no one needs to be on a tower who can't take a turn on point), being tired of not getting ranked (also understandable, but you shouldn't be surprised if you only show up for small battles. I do hate it when rankers pass over onliners for offline hp though), or just plain not liking fort battles, which was the case of many people before the rise of hp as well as after. I didn't like them myself for a long time.

Bad Billy Jack

It looks to me like the world domination in W6 was made by a simple numbers game of one alliance totally blowing away another alliance.

It is an abberation & any conclusions drawn from it are meaningless.

DeletedUser

I was addressing w11, not newer worlds. I am down to 5 worlds but have played and ff on many more. My response post is answering BBJ's question honestly concerning why I no longer ff on most worlds. Feel free to disagree, but my opinion is based on my experience. Correct, I have never seen you hide. I have however experienced many captains "saving" their massive hp by hiding in the middle of the pack.

Let me be more clear: ranking your friends sucks. Captains who frequently hide or always take the best tower spots and sit there all ff suck. People with inflated hp hiding behind smaller players sucks.

The stated goal of an alliance on w11 was at one time world domination: they still have not achieved it. Their ff are not fun to attend. w6 ff had all the right elements of ranking, rotating, keeping los, protecting smaller players to keep more guns on the enemy, and expressly forbidding stacking. We used real teamwork. These elements made ff fun on w6. Over time the other side, a worthy opponent for quite a while, was beaten.

World domination is not the main point of my posts. I am simple answering BBJ's question. Wold domination happened by the one group of ff's I have experienced who followed what I have stated makes ff fun. The alliance whose ff I no longer attend on w11 because they are not fun have attempted world domination and failed. I do not know if that is currently their goal or not, only that at one time it was.

Bad Billy Jack

And I thank you chuck for your posts.

My point is that I doubt the W6 experience is the same as a server with many more players, where the inability to get ranked was due to not enough health & many low heath were turned away, eventually giving up on ffing.

Please keep your opinions coming folks!

DeletedUser

I don't think not using favoritism for regulars and saying "sorry Billy, you should have asked for rank sooner, this level 98 with a rusty harquebus and 1200 hp just got our last rank" is going to improve anything. Show up to every battle, day in day out, and do what you're supposed to do is going to give you preferential treatment and justifiably so. Of course there are also regulars who inexplicably get auto ranked every battle and just wind up wasting space. It's usually glaringly obvious when someone is showing online and out of LOS every single battle, or goes afk immediately upon getting ranked as one of w6's WF leaders does every battle on w12, and I really don't see how people can continue ranking them battle after battle.

DeletedUser

The "I got my rank adios" syndrome has become much worse since bonds became part of the fort fighting.

I think if the monotony of fort fighting was broken up you'd see more interest and enjoyment and probably participation in this aspect of the game (shift the size/dimensions/location of the fort by just a few squares randomly by fort and you'd see different strategies and tactics used in each fort fight .... think of how you would attack/defend a fort that was just shifted 2 squares to the west/east/south). It's the monotony more than anything that limits my fort fighting in all worlds (I'm currently in about the 2nd week of a "break" from fort fighting and although a fort battle may "catch my eye" I'm not going out looking for the right now).

W6 got me burned out by a single player that whispered everyone (I'm assuming everyone, because he never missed me) about "come to the fort", "come to the defense", "we really need you", etc. etc. etc. and the final straw was when he "told" me to deposit supplies to finish building the fort (at that time I think we had 132 of the forts and all but 1 of the large forts .... and you're worried about building up a fort when you have 95%+ of the forts and there's no competition or threat to the forts you hold ... SHEESH!). If the W6 alliance breaks up then it might be good for FF once again but the two top towns in W6 are blatant fort HORders and if the increasing pay on declaration of FF's wasn't in place then someone could "nuke" the world (declare on all 120 forts at the same time to put them all "in play" again).

Maybe this isn't a good time for me to commenting on FF but I guess in this forum I'm actually the target player the original question was aiming for ... an active fort fighter who has stopped participating in fort fights.

DeletedUser16008

As someone who has done FF a lot extensively on 2 worlds and dabbled on occasion on others, its just a simple case of been there done that, bought the T shirt. Next challenge please.

I find if you play a good few worlds one will suffer for ff on another, its pretty frustrating to have half assed people in a battle while they are doing the same on another world, it weakens both teams and reduces your effectiveness and result. I spent a year doing that on both worlds and it became a nightmare trying to arrange, play in and lead well on both, so once we had won just blew the place up and more or less stopped on all but one and did that properly. Im sure people who just take part can handle more but doing 2 at the same time and giving your best on both ? naaaa I don't buy into that.

I have no interest whatsoever in the uber hp battles, they are slow, unexciting and lack movement or anything new, in short its become boring and all many now seem to do is log in only for forts and do little else in the game, when they do too many go afk after getting ranked.

It takes a special kind of person to endlessly flip from one world to another FF all the time and a lot i know fort on 1 or 2 and are good but thats it for them, on the others they dont really want anything to do with forts and who can blame them ?

W6 btw has been a joke for a long time, one side with everything the other with little, attended a few but quickly realized having good battles was not the interest just pawning so stopped bothering.

Will i bother with FF after migration ? judging by the need for hp race i seriously doubt it, I may respec a toon to pure tank and even then i suspect ill get bored pretty quickly.

When youve been there from when forts started you realise how simple and A B C it has become, people get far too serious about ranks and this and that about plans etc. FF builds don't count for anything and if they did I wouldnt be able as a pure dueler to be consistently in the top 5 on my sides damage. How stupid is that for encouraging me to have a fort build and/ or continue to bother with them ? No docs bags, no chests, no drops, just a few measly bonds now with nothing to buy but more fort buffs or a chest after 2 weeks or so ? this is worth wasting hours a few times a day for is it ? not really on more than 1 world for me it isn't.

Really it now all comes down to a few simple things, how many hp do you have and do you have LOS...
How much forting can you do before the shine wears off if nothing changes other than it just gets easier to defend and everyone just gets fatter ?

Deleted User - 1278415

Well I think many players dont fort fight because they want to have a life. They find that having to spend hours and hours playing this game and then to have a critical fort battle at 2AM isnt worth it to them. Is there a correct time for everyone to fort fight... no.

Now we do have quite a few players that do enjoy the fort fights and go to them on many worlds as Vic and TUG do but I can see many players are just not that dedicated to this game as they want real lives away from this game.

I had to take a year off from this game because I wanted to unplug for a bit I felt the constant fort battles, and being a mod of the game while having to do Games Mastered events took a toll on me personally. (I thank the mods for their gratitude in the GM events recently.)

How to improve it, I will say as an old timer of this game that working on a fort and having it taken away after it is built up also takes a toll on the town membership. A "why bother" mentality as it is just going to get taken away. I say bring back the days of when forts had to be built up and add in the element of having towers destroyed when a fort is taken away. But only if it is taken. If it stands then no damage to the fort owners. While we workers may complain, it makes it fun when the towers arent fully built up and then scramble to build the fort back up before the next battle. I also liked when you would have to make a defense for a half built fort. Now yes you will still get the people saying hey Im not a good fort fighter but, but I can rebuild the tower. And then maybe they will also participate in the battle too as a meatsheild.

Thats my take on it.

Bad Billy Jack

Some very good ideas have come up in this thread so far. The obvious one of nerfing health so players would have a more balanced build & be able to play other parts of the game, instead of only one-dimensional tank & also making FF skills more important are the usual suggested solutions.

Others I like

1) Random Battle Maps so that different strategies are required. This to keep the elite interested.

2) Lost forts get damaged. This keeps towns busy repairing. Perhaps this could even be expanded to some damage from all battles.

3) Bring back instant satisfaction boxes (and make them random). I really like this one. Part of the problem with boxes previously was that the same players always got them, especially duelers & premium players. I remember well growing up in FFing & getting the other boxes ~ random woodens with excellent gear that helped with JOBS. This would keep the non-elite interested. Low level players even if they did terrible in battle, would have a possibility of getting goodies.

Yes we get bonds that we can spend on boxes, but I am willing to bet that most bond collectors save them for LP buffs for JOBS or reskills. And the satisfaction is delayed, not instant.

Keep your comments & ideas coming folks!

DeletedUser

Another thing which might be contributing to fort fighting would be the time cycle of the new daily quests. With fort fights starting in the late evening server time that allows many people in Europe to participate and some in the U.S. to participate as well (and these two regions are where a vast majority of the players appear to me to be located). There are different problems that exist if a fort battle begins either before or after midnight server time and they are:

Just before midnight server time : Working players from Eastern Time zone in the U.S. might get on because there is a 6 hour "lag" between EST (Eastern US) and CET (Central European Time). There's a 9 hour "lag" between CET and PST (Pacific US). If someone is close to finishing their daily quests then they may opt to just finish those tasks in the daily cycle rather than attend a fort fight.

Just after midnight : It's getting too late for some European players by this time. It's also a new day so it's time for the daily quests to begin and get them out of the way. Most of the time, you can complete 3 of the 4 daily tasks in somewhere between 1 and 3 hours. If you were to participate in a fort fight and were killed, you don't have the energy accumulated yet to do your daily tasks, so you skip the fort battle in favor of being able to do these tasks.

Potential Solution : Shift the cycle for the daily quests so they are not in conflict with fort fighting. One example would be to make the daily quests begin a "dawn" (6am for example) and another idea would be for the daily quests to be on local time for each user (that would be better for most people playing the game if the quest times, including the daily cycle, were based on their local time which could be set in the player preferences and confirmed by an IP trace so the players could not just switch their time on their local clock to effect this).

It just struck me today as I was looking at fort fights and then looked at my energy and the time I had to complete a task that I should pass on a fort fight where we were outnumbered by over 2:1 and I had 80 energy ... the thinking goes like this ... should you attend a futile fort battle, lose all your energy and a bit of cash just to heal up and race to do 2 one-hour jobs to complete by daily quests??? Naw, pass.

Bad Billy Jack

Excellent idea, TJ! Seconded immediately!

This is also associated with the whole Prime Time battle schedule where a server battle schedule is owned by the two major alliances on each server. We only dig in Prime Time & they are always mediums, with a later small if no one digs.

On my tanking worlds of w11 & w12, since I am American, I am willing to throw away morning energy since my alliance expects me to attend. However, on my lower levels worlds colorado, arizona & brisco, I do not really FF at all. I am not yet specced for health enough to throw away that energy for very little result from dying quickly.

I would love to dig battles during American Night shift, but that might get my town booted from the alliance. LOL.

This schedule is done, I think, to make sure the two major alliances control all the forts.

Soooo, I am thinking of a new idea. Daily Fun Fort Battle Server Event. Inno places a large fort somewhere on the map at different server times, once each day. We have to travel to sign up or else everyone will sign up. Even townless can attend. The sides are chosen alternately as we sign up. This would allow alliance enemies to be on the same side & build new friendships. Get to know each other.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

If I were to revamp fort fighting, there are several things I would do. Everyone who is an avid fort fighter has their own list but here's mine (in no particular order):

Tracker's Top Ten list of desired changes in fort fighting (this is just meant to show that there is a lot that can be done to change fort fighting and it's not meant to hijack this discussion on the merits of any of the ideas or even a discussion about them, just that there are many changes that CAN be made to make fort fighting more appealing and more interesting - - - I'd bet not one of us still plays Tic-Tac-Toe and there's a reason for that ... it became stale, boring and predictable and so too will fort fights if something isn't done about them).

1. Eliminate most sectors. I'd keep the concepts of sectors in place for interior buildings, towers, walls, around the flag and on the flag. Basically any area that has bonuses. Where sectors remained, they would be "controlled" so that only one side can be in such a controlled sector (this is still crucial for sitting on the flag after all and you would have to vanquish the enemy from a tower, building or section of wall before being able to take control of the reinforcement area yourself).
2. Change movement. By eliminating sectors, players would be more free to move but they couldn't just just 40 spaces from one side of the fort to another. The player would still need one move to either enter or leave a "sector" (the few that remain) but outside of that they could be given the ability to move up to 4 spaces when fully healthy and reduce their movement based on health (injured players don't move as quickly, so at 75% you're limited to 3 squares, 50% is 2 squares and 25% or less and you're limited to a single square).
3. Eliminate character bonuses on negative sectors: I'd eliminate the character bonuses for any character that ventured into a negative bonus sector. You're making yourself a target, do you seriously think standing on a mound in the middle of a fort and saying shoot me should also preserve your ability to ghost?
4. Add pre-battle info for ranking: Put more information into the hands of a ranking official before the battle : This includes placing in the table the weapon type, showing on the fort mini-map not only their location but if they've set their movement and where it's been set to as well (attackers will then not rank as many players who are squatting, flag rushing or not following the battle plan).
5. AI Target selection : I'd have the system shoot the easiest opponent to hit instead of merely the closest (Would I seriously shoot at a reinforced opponent in a tower instead of his buddy exposed on the ground just a foot or two further away?). This could even be extended to "true sniping" where a player could select their target and you would shoot that target the next round (skip shooting in the current round and if you don't have LOS on the selected target next round ... too bad - snipe failed).
6. Add weapon range to the current weapons : This would encourage people to use better weapons and give consequences for not doing so. Death Scythe = 1 square, stone = 3 squares, bow = 6 squares .... Winchester and GG's = 30 squares. A rusty musket would have longer range than a precise crossbow so there might actually be a benefit to upgrading to a wider variety of weaponry (currently most fort fighters only equip themselves with precise weapons and this would change this behavior for some players).
7. Limit opponent information: Turn off the health scale and maybe even the names on the opponents. There's black powder flying everywhere so should you have the ability to do a complete medical assessment and identification of each opponent in the battle? Combined with the elimination of sectors this would make for some very interesting battle interactions. We don't get a green dot on the opponents so why do we get a medical update and name?
8. Fort Battle damage: This should be added so that a fort that is reinforced and difficult to take could effectively be placed "under siege" by consecutive attacks that require a defender to either maintain their fort or lose it. This wouldn't apply just to forts that were lost but also forts that were engaged in long battles and the chance would be higher for sections of the fort that were occupied as well.
9. Change in fort layouts : Either by allowing the builders to do so at the time the fort is built or just mix it up and have each of the 120 forts have buildings/walls/towers located a bit differently would make each fort more unique. This would also mean that some forts are easier to take and some are easier to hold. Different tactics would have to be used on some forts as well.
10. Verify Online Status: Determine if a player really is online during a battle by making them enter/refresh the fort screen (somewhat like what occurred early in W15/Colorado when it would take 7 or more cycles before a battle started, but limit it to just 1 so the person has to enter the battle ... or another way to confirm would be to require a player to enter a randomly displayed code at the end of the battle to verify they were "online" to get the online bonds credit --- eliminate this foolish fake online squatting business).
11. Allow for battlefield promotions/demotions : This would extend to the point that traitors could even get bumped from their location if they were not moving but in most cases demoting an individual should be a "last resort". This would change their movement priority as well as their shooting priority. A demotion could also carry with it some effect on the end-game total as well for that player. Only an online player could be promoted or demoted by this method to prevent abuse.
12. Awards/Achievements: Add more fort awards by battle (the system could do this for exception performances and it would merely be like a medal or certificate, not a box or anything like that here). Over 5000 damage, more than 5KO's, more than 50 dodges, more than 100 dodges, self sacrificing acts of heroism (actively taking point), etc.
13. Unique random drop: Give a small chance (1/10th of 1% for example) for a random drop item during a battle. This would give one drop for every 1000 fort fights for example on average, not significant but it would create post battle buzz ... especially when the item is good or unique (or make the items unique so that they can only be obtained in fort fights .... Little Big Horn Sabre Scabbard for example or Crazy Horses mustang). The point here is to give the fort fighter something that they can obtain in no other way making them more special/unique (but not more powerful because that would effect game balance due to the rarity of these items)
14. Unnerf fort fighting skills: Change the ^.4 on the fort fighting skills because this makes most skills effectively maxed at the 30-50 range and encourages rampant health as the only unmodified skill in fort fighting. If a person who was a 400 point dodger could be as effective at holding a tower/wall as a person who dumped 400 points in health then we might see more variety in the types and skills of the player characters in a battle.
15. Take away town points for fort ownership. A town merely declares a battle (or purchases the fort) even the largest town can not hold a fort on their own, nor can they take a fort on their own so why should one town get all the points for "owning" a fort. This silly (I won't go so far as to call it stupid, but it crossed my mind) feature also encourages hoarding of forts.
16. "Garrison" defense concept: This requires a fort to have a sufficient membership close enough to effectively "defend" a fort from a sudden attack. The further a fort is from the owning town, the higher the garrison requirements. If a fort fails to meet the minimum garrison requirement at the time a fort is "dug" then the fort falls immediately and there is no battle (taking over a fort that is not occupied and can not muster a minimal defense at the gate should be immediate). This would help prevent some of the town/alliance hording of forts. Can a town with all it's residents in county D1 effectively defend a fort in county A10? As a town gets more forts, it's responsibility in making sure that all forts are adequately defended (garrisoned) becomes more difficult. I'm not suggesting that a garrison needs to be in the fort, just in the county where a fort exists (120 forts, 50 residents per town .... at some point it should become increasingly difficult to hold on to multiple forts and with all the "No Multi/No Counter" rules/agreements in place this is just another idea to control this problem).
17. Put a cap on alliances. Both on number of residents and number of towns. Curb the "Mega- Alliances" and you might have more complex game interactions instead of just devolving to 2 sides scheduling a battle once or twice a day.
18. Allow remote sign up for EVERYONE. Currently you can only sign up to a fort if you're a member of the alliance on either the attacking or defending side. A small alliance attacking a fort is at a serious disadvantage for getting people to participate. The limitations on only being able to sign up for defense if your alliance is a member of the fort would still apply as well as only being able to sign up for the attack if it was your alliance attacking, but if you were a non-allied member then you could choose which side to join before being at the fort. Sometimes it takes several hours to travel to a fort,then you have to be online to sign up for it too .... just make it a single action and be done with it.
19. Teach Tracker to count to 10 in a top 10 list!!!! Man, that dude can really ramble on sometimes .........

I just thought of #20 in my top 10 list (ironic isn't it, but this may be one of the easiest, fairest and most successful ways to increase fort member participation):
20. Make participation in fort battles based on a first come, first serve basis and throw out the entire ranking process in-so-far as who gets into a battle or not. If you're defending a small fort and you're one of the first 42 to sign up AND you're at the fort, you're IN. What's wrong with this ... EVERYTHING ... and that's what makes it so great. First of all, people who sign up know if they're going to get into a fort battle when they sign up, leaders and fort owners won't have this high HP or my alliance/town clique system anymore, if you see someone signup who isn't going to be a good fort fighter then either train them or duel them before they get to the fort to KO them and send them home or negotiate with them to not show up but with this in place then everybody has an equal chance (more or less) of getting into fort fights. Exceptions could be made for attacking towns and fort owners/members but that would be as far as you could nerf this idea and even that might be too much.

DeletedUser

Other than just needing a break sometimes the biggest thing to me is probably balance. For example I chose not to take part in two recent big battles on w10 because the outcomes were already clear. And I took a longer break on w9 when one side was too overpowered. It's just hard for me to get motivated when it's clear that it doesn't matter if I join or not. I'm on worlds 8-12 though so it's not a big problem for me if battles on one or two of them suck.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a change and more variety to fort battles though. I've already seen enough battles with the current rules.