Why americans is fat

DeletedUser563

Well its a fact that many americans is morbidly obese

Fat_Emo428.jpg

So I thought what a nice debate why are you all such fat. Is there perhaps a social reason behind this? Who should be blamed american fast food joints and their brainwashing of the youth? For example in most countries smoking is banned from displaying TV ads. We all remember the Gunston guy on his yacht with his bevy of beauties , the soul of the party... I am also overweight but atleast realize that I should eat healthy. So on a second side issues should we ban fast food joints from advertising or perhaps regulate them more so that their content is more truthful.

DeletedUser16008

Do not make this thread an excuse to throw abuse or I will lock it down ;)

I would say a lot has to do with the junk food generations sure but also historical and cultural.

Americans are big in general. its a melting pot of cultures but one thing they have in common is the large % of early arrivals that were working class, whatever the country of origin. Many of these were manual labour and farming stock, big built people etc. During the time of building the infrastructure etc people would burn 4 - 5000 calories easily in a days work, you need to eat big to replace that amount. You only have to look at portion sized anything there to notice the medium size there is like a super large anywhere else. Bigger is better etc is also ingrained in the culture,

Fast forward and things have very much changed not least is the lifestyle of the average modern person being anything other than physically hard. Its now an age where calories can be consumed in high volume by eating very little and the choice is massive.The US still have however left the portions big, add in the junk food, TV sit on your ass, convenience everything so people don't have to burn anything let alone 5000 calories a day and mostly do not have a hard life labouring, walk nowhere, exercise little and that big boned well over fed body is going to become a pretty disgusting shape. You have a real problem when you eat at least double your required intake and burn off very little. Throw into the mix fat mom and dad piling the kids with supersized meal portions generation after generation without a care of what is and is not good for the body and it sure dosn't help.

DeletedUser15057

Morbid Obesity (and overweight) issues have not just affected the people in the US, so I am not sure why they have been singled out by you Jakkels.

Most of the developed world have these same issues, on the rise or in epidemic proportions, and the symptoms are significantly on the increase in younger and younger people.

The basic "calories in - calories out" situation as highlighted by Victor is a significant player. But science has also discovered other drivers, whether that be more processed foods, genetic pre-disposition, environmental circumstances and psychological issues that all may play a part in this seemingly preventable and deadly disease.

And of course typically it is societies most vulnerable who are most at risk - namely the young, through their parents, the low waged/poorest and uneducated citizens who know little or care nothing about basic health foods, or basic exercise physiology.

Add to the TV mix, the massive increase in computer games, ipod, etc etc with a sedentary physical input you can see why the increase is rising fast.

And unless I am very much mistaken that ain't just an American problem!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The most shocking thing I ever saw on tv was a woman feeding her (about) one year old child a hamburger.
It's also a first world problem.

Americans are big in general. its a melting pot of cultures but one thing they have in common is the large % of early arrivals that were working class, whatever the country of origin. Many of these were manual labour and farming stock, big built people etc. During the time of building the infrastructure etc people would burn 4 - 5000 calories easily in a days work, you need to eat big to replace that amount. You only have to look at portion sized anything there to notice the medium size there is like a super large anywhere else. Bigger is better etc is also ingrained in the culture.

The need to eat food with lots of calories goes far beyond that. To the days that humans had to hunt their own food. It's an instinct and one that's hard to get rid of.

Throw into the mix fat mom and dad piling the kids with supersized meal portions generation after generation without a care of what is and is not good for the body and it sure dosn't help.

I personaly blame the grandmothers :p .You just can't tell a grandmother that you're not hungry.

DeletedUser

Lack of exercise is the main reason.
I eat many takeaways and always have done, I have a very poor diet but I play a lot of football and I just stay a good build.
I'm not toned but am generally fit, my Mrs hates it because I eat more than her but it never shows, I tell her it's because I exercise through sport, she says but I do ironing, washing, cleaning I'm always pottering about....... can't be doing enough then.

Anyroad, jogging then eventually running to a sprint is the key to keeping fat at bay if you can't be bothered watching your diet.

DeletedUser

Lack of exercise is the main reason.
I eat many takeaways and always have done, I have a very poor diet but I play a lot of football and I just stay a good build.
I'm not toned but am generally fit, my Mrs hates it because I eat more than her but it never shows, I tell her it's because I exercise through sport, she says but I do ironing, washing, cleaning I'm always pottering about....... can't be doing enough then.

Anyroad, jogging then eventually running to a sprint is the key to keeping fat at bay if you can't be bothered watching your diet.

no mate, you just have a fast methabolism :). I know people that want to gain weight but they're just can't... and they don't exercise. Some people gain weight from just looking at food. :)

DeletedUser

Lol, I know that it helps but if I just sat around all day it would surely pile the pounds on me if I ate many a junk food?
I have never tried it tbh.

DeletedUser563

Yes its a problem worldwide probably but the stereotype now belongs to americans. Its not as simple as calorie in calorie out although they say that 3000 calories equals about a kilo . . Im still convinced it has a lot to do with our youth: we have no brand take -away joints at our town and I do not buy from the other but there is a big difference in my taste perceptions between a pizza when I was young and now and also hamburgers. Of course age is also a major contributor if your about 20- 33 you can generally drink and eat more not so when you hit the forties. Getting back to the youth when I was young I also loved naartjies a kinda nectarine orange now not anymore. So my point is to the young these foods tastes great when your older not really that much but then your already hooked.

DeletedUser

I read about some studies years ago (30 or more years, so I don't remember where I read it). It showed that babies who were overweight and bottle fed tended to be overweight later in life too. Babies who were overweight but nursed tended to slim down as they grew older. If there's any truth to it, then it would explain a lot of the obesity in the US and some other countries.

DeletedUser

Common seriously, 99% of it is pure life style, you show me a fat person that eats a good balanced diet and lives a healthy life style.

The parents have a massive role to play when we consider the next generation, all my children are good weights, if it was upto them what they ate and how often they ate, they would most probably be obese.

DeletedUser1121

The parents have a massive role to play when we consider the next generation, all my children are good weights, if it was upto them what they ate and how often they ate, they would most probably be obese.

The main thing i am trying to accomplish while raising my kids is not only to determine what they eat but try educating them about it as well. It is important to know what you eat, where it comes from and what it does to you. Let them experience multiple tastes. Let them "help" preparing the food.

I hope they will take that information with them in life and use it.

(This doesn't mean we never eat fast food, by the way.)

DeletedUser16628

Funny how people single out the United States.I've been in many locations around the world and notice this is a current issue world wide.I'm a military family so we are outside much more than most.CPU time is monitored even for myself and diet and exercise is key especially for me being 44.

DeletedUser

As an American I will be the first to identify our citizens as being generally "fat, loud, lazy and stupid" if I may steal some words from Dr. Denis Leary. Lifestyle and environment seem to be the most major contributors to the obesity problem worldwide in my opinion. There are some health related issues which cause some people to be more prone to becoming obese, but as an EMT I will tell you flat out that some of these health problems that many of my patients claim as a reason for their obesity is actually a RESULT of their obesity, not the other way around as they claim. Diabetes is the big one that comes to mind. "I'm fat cause I have type 2 diabetes." Can't tell you how often I hear something similar to that in the back of my ambulance and I always just want to tell them, "No, you have diabetes because you abused the crap out of your body and destroyed it's ability to properly manage insulin/glucose and still continue to consume the same way you always have." Now, I won't argue that some people are genetically predisposed to the disease, but as has been stated time and again: Diet and exercise.

I'm one of the lucky few in the world with a really high metabolism. I have to eat like a horse to prevent my body from eating itself to produce energy. But my condition is extremely rare and I must constantly monitor myself for changes in that metabolism to avoid blowing up like an elephant seal from my eating habits. Self-awareness and self-control are the major factors in obesity today, and as society becomes more and more litigious ("You made me fat with your food so I'm suing you!") less and less of these qualities are found in America and the rest of the world.

DeletedUser15641

Well i guess its because their are lots of restaurants which does not care about health...

How is health got to do with this?Well some of the foods might get addicted...maybe americans drink too much beer etc making pressure to the liver and then liver can't function properly via not making insulin or not enough insulin ....which makes them obese then over weight:(...The End

As an American I will be the first to identify our citizens as being generally "fat, loud, lazy and stupid" if I may steal some words from Dr. Denis Leary. Lifestyle and environment seem to be the most major contributors to the obesity problem worldwide in my opinion. There are some health related issues which cause some people to be more prone to becoming obese, but as an EMT I will tell you flat out that some of these health problems that many of my patients claim as a reason for their obesity is actually a RESULT of their obesity, not the other way around as they claim. Diabetes is the big one that comes to mind. "I'm fat cause I have type 2 diabetes." Can't tell you how often I hear something similar to that in the back of my ambulance and I always just want to tell them, "No, you have diabetes because you abused the crap out of your body and destroyed it's ability to properly manage insulin/glucose and still continue to consume the same way you always have." Now, I won't argue that some people are genetically predisposed to the disease, but as has been stated time and again: Diet and exercise.

I'm one of the lucky few in the world with a really high metabolism. I have to eat like a horse to prevent my body from eating itself to produce energy. But my condition is extremely rare and I must constantly monitor myself for changes in that metabolism to avoid blowing up like an elephant seal from my eating habits. Self-awareness and self-control are the major factors in obesity today, and as society becomes more and more litigious ("You made me fat with your food so I'm suing you!") less and less of these qualities are found in America and the rest of the world.

Well not exactly true as you see we @kuwait are having lots of people overweight unfortunately...:(...This is because most does not actually move a round but if little children's are roaming around they are asked to stop it...well roaming around has the following advantages:Burning food ...well i could go to being over weight or even over obese but i do have to say no to it ....

Well here is how you say no to it:
Either do your favorite sport daily...twice a day....a lot more but it must burn fats and etc.

Kuwait is really hot in the summer up to over 50 centegrade going for 60 soon!:blink:
If you don't have any favorite sport then you might be either doomed, lucky or you could solve it by eating right for a change.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

My personal opinion that Americans as individuals are not 100% responsible for being overweight/obese. The government is also at fault, the food industry, and the people responsible for the infrastructure of cities.

Yeah, we should blame the hamburger for tasting so damn good!

DeletedUser15641

LOL

Well not only americans are fat but kuwaitians is now second for the percentage of obese...#1 spot is america.