"When Pluto impacts Uranus" or "Urinating Dogs of Gravitational Resonance"

DeletedUser

So Pluto Overlaps The Orbits Of Neptune and Uranus
There Is Even A Point where All 3 Orbits Intersect.
What Happens If There Is A Collision?

DeletedUser14280

Did you make this topic just for a chance to say "Uranus is very big"?

I think it wouldn't matter much.
If they collided, it'd be like an asteroid hitting them with lots of force, and they'd ka-splode.
That wouldn't affect us, and any fragments that came hurtling along from the collision would be pretty likely to miss us.

I mean, come on! What are the chances that Pluto, Neptune and Uranus hit each other at the same time and somehow affect Earth?

DeletedUser

So Pluto Overlaps The Orbits Of Neptune and Uranus
There Is Even A Point where All 3 Orbits Intersect.
What Happens If There Is A Collision?

Then a cartoon dog gets a very brown nose :unsure:

DeletedUser

It's not going to happen. Gravitational resonance keeps them from ever getting within less than ~100 million miles from each other.

DeletedUser14280

It's not going to happen. Gravitational resonance keeps them from ever getting within less than ~100 million miles from each other.
Well, that settles things nicely.
I guess we can move this to the questions and guides section and label it 'resolved', huh?

In continuing seriousness, Fredigar's wording in his OP meant that there wasn't a whole lot we could do to discuss this topic.

Oh WAIT! We could discuss "gravitational resonance"! That sounds interesting.
Artemis? What's GR?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I guess the most basic explanation I can think of at the moment is: All 3 of them are constantly affected by gravitational pull of the others, which is part of what keeps them in their orbital patterns. Because the gravitational pull is more or less a constant, the effects will be too - which keeps their orbital pattern from changing, and thus keeps them from suddenly colliding rather than passing each other as they've always done in the past.

It is a bit more complex than that, but what would there be to discuss if I explained it perfectly? :p