What stats for an effective dueling soldier?

DeletedUser

I have a dueling soldier build going on right now and I am sort of at an impasse when it comes to skill distribution. Right now I have 3 points into Charisma and 3 into Dexterity. I balance my points pretty evenly between dodge, aim, shooting, and tactics, with dodge getting a few points more than the others and tactics a little less.

Should I continue on this way, or is it going to make my skills too spread out to be effective? I will be doing a lot of attacking so I was almost tempted to put points into appearance, but I just can't tell what it actually does for me compared to the obvious effects of shooting / aim, and I know I can't focus on 5 skills and still be competitive.

Also, it seems like a lot of duelers on the leaderboards are putting points into only one skill (i.e. having 60+ points in shooting at level 15) It seems to be working for them, as they are highly ranked, but is that really a good strategy or does it stop working as well later in the game?

Any general advice would be greatly appreciated; unfortunately the game does not really do a good job of explaining dueling mechanics.

Red Falcon

I think this is something you should have posted in questions and FAQ. But I will try and give you a little advice. Try and pivot your skills towards the dueling skills...Vigor, Aim, Shooting, Dodging, Appearance, am I missing any others?

DeletedUser

I kinda have the same question and made this table, based on the skills of a dueller I know. The numbers represent the percentage of points he appointed to the duelling skills.

There is some flaws in it of course: 10% points in shooting and 17% in vigor is a waste. BUT: he is not a pure dueller. However, for general insight, this might help, and I hope others will join in to debate this list.

The result might be a general guideline from which new people like us can make their own choices.

my.php
skillsfq7.png

my.php
skillsog9.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I have a dueling soldier build going on right now and I am sort of at an impasse when it comes to skill distribution. Right now I have 3 points into Charisma and 3 into Dexterity. I balance my points pretty evenly between dodge, aim, shooting, and tactics, with dodge getting a few points more than the others and tactics a little less.

Should I continue on this way, or is it going to make my skills too spread out to be effective? I will be doing a lot of attacking so I was almost tempted to put points into appearance, but I just can't tell what it actually does for me compared to the obvious effects of shooting / aim, and I know I can't focus on 5 skills and still be competitive.

Also, it seems like a lot of duelers on the leaderboards are putting points into only one skill (i.e. having 60+ points in shooting at level 15) It seems to be working for them, as they are highly ranked, but is that really a good strategy or does it stop working as well later in the game?

Any general advice would be greatly appreciated; unfortunately the game does not really do a good job of explaining dueling mechanics.

It all depends on a couple of things.

1 - what sort of weapon you want to use - melee or ranged.
If you go melee then put points into vigor, If ranged then shooting.

2 - Late world jobs. A lot of people put points into shooting as it gives some excellent late world jobs for making cash and finding items.

For dueling it varies, some will go for a pure aggresive build of aim, shooting, appearance and hope to completely overpower everyone but be vunerable to being attacked. Some will go for a mixed build, no weaknesses but no strengths, some will go for a defensive build of tactics, reflex, dodge and toughness, where they are hard to hurt, but deal very little damage.

Basically it all comes down to personal choice. There is no one build that will make you invincible

DeletedUser

I think this is something you should have posted in questions and FAQ. But I will try and give you a little advice. Try and pivot your skills towards the dueling skills...Vigor, Aim, Shooting, Dodging, Appearance, am I missing any others?

Bolded is a waste of skill points, one or the other.

You missed toughness, reflex and tactics, which are all defensive bonus's

Please try and know what your talking about before giving advice, if you're not sure then don't say it.

DeletedUser

Bolded is a waste of skill points, one or the other.

You missed toughness, reflex and tactics, which are all defensive bonus's

Please try and know what your talking about before giving advice, if you're not sure then don't say it.

I think you're asking for a bit much from that one.... ah well.

If people didn't post whatever popped up in their inane heads, then this forum would be alot slower.