What is your musical "Guilty Pleasure"

DeletedUser17143

Most of us have at some point posted a reply on the "What are you listening to?" thread.

Generally we all are listening to the songs or bands we really love, with a few joke one (Or at least I hope they are jokes) thrown in there.

But what band or song is a guilty pleasure for you, and what sort of bands/genres do you usually listen to?

For me the usual bands are

- The Pixies
- The Vaccines
- Michael Kiwanuka
- Ben Howard
- The Smiths
- Editors
- Joy Division (<- Favourite by a country mile)

The list goes on. But my guilty pleasure has to be Paramore. I don't know why I like them, but I do. It is rare I tell people this because of the shear embarrassment.

So what's yours?

What Are You Listening To
http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=9292

DeletedUser

Brittany Spears 'Toxic' (ignore the artist, the video - this song has depth and its original)
Abba 'Dancing Queen' (this bittersweet song is full of nostalgia - good times that have past and optimism)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28032

Lots of rock for me; Pearl Jam, Tracer, The Union, The Answer, Ash,The Stone Roses and Metallica to just name a few.
Though my guilty pleasure would be *Checks both shoulders and lowers voice* Blondie

DeletedUser17143

I don't see why you should feel guilty about Blondie.

Me either. I love Blondie. But I suppose different social groups and opinions lead to people being embarrassed of different bands. I know a lot of people who like Paramore. But then again, that is the reason I am embarrassed to be considered a fan of them. :laugh:

DeletedUser28032

I don't see why you should feel guilty about Blondie.

its probably because its so blatantly pop considering the stuff i normally listen to, especially seen as i pride myself in being a "Rocker"

DeletedUser

its probably because its so blatantly pop considering the stuff i normally listen to, especially seen as i pride myself in being a "Rocker"

It's New Wave, not blatantly pop. They were pioneers. Pop is making the same crap everyone else is doing for the most part, not breaking new ground.

My taste tends towards the heavy side - industrial, metal, and industrial metal - but I listen to pretty much everything else, from hip hop to classical, to punk, to blues, to country, to the unclassifiable artist that Duduie also likes, Emilie Autumn.

Anyway, guilty pleasure IS blatantly pop...Colbie Caillat. I also like some Lady Gaga, and I love the fact that she's an Iron Maiden fan.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser17143

It's New Wave, not blatantly pop. They were pioneers. Pop is making the same crap everyone else is doing for the most part, not breaking new ground.

I think Braet was simply pointing out that compared to his usual music tastes, Blondie is like pop music.

Which isn't far off. Blondie were a fantastic band that mixed new wave with a post-punk sort of sound. They have also been labelled as pop-punk in quite a few articles I have read.

DeletedUser

They have also been labelled as pop-punk in quite a few articles I have read.

So are Green Day and Offpsring, but they aren't exactly Katy Perry (ick - if she's anyone's guilty pleasure they should feel guilty, very guilty).

DeletedUser28032

They have also been labelled as pop-punk in quite a few articles I have read

They mainly got that label because of what was going on musically at the time, the Stranglers got the same label yet if you listen to their stuff its completely different to things like the Sex Pistols, Damned and Stiff Little Fingers

DeletedUser

Most people here probably think I should feel guilty about all of my favorites... I normally listen to couintry, but for some reason, I enjoy listening to Flogging Molly once in a while. I doubt that most people here from outside of Ireland (and maybe UK) have even heard of them.