Waterstone's drops name apostrophe!

DeletedUser14006

I saw this in the national newspaper today and could not stop chuckling that such a big deal could be made about a punctuation mark :eek:

High street bookshop Waterstone's has announced it is dropping the apostrophe from its name to make it more "versatile" for online use.

Managing director James Daunt said the amendment was a "more versatile and practical" spelling of the name for the digital world.

But chairman of the Apostrophe Society John Richards has condemned the change, calling it "just plain wrong".

He told the Telegraph newspaper it was "grammatically incorrect".

The book shop has also reinstated the Baskerville serif font with a capital W, which Mr Daunt said "reflects authority and confidence".

He added: "It also reflects an altogether truer picture of our business today which, while created by one, is now built on the continued contribution of thousands of individual booksellers."

Some customers have criticised the move on Twitter.

Alex Deane said: "Waterstone's, don't drop the apostrophe. McDonald's & Sainsbury's manage! You claim to play an educational role, not lead in dumbing down!"

David Skelton called the decision "a load of nonsense".

The new design will gradually be rolled across all correspondence and high street stores.

Are you pro or anti apostrophe?

Source - BBC

DeletedUser

This falls under the category of people having lost all perspective, intentionally.

DeletedUser14006

I still cannot believe there is a 'chairman of the Apostrophe Society' :D

DeletedUser16008

And i bet it'll cost them thousands too. Silliness in action again.

DeletedUser

Set the apostrophes free! They shouldn't be confined to words serving no real purpose that can't be served adequately by context! Free the apostrophes!

Boooooorn freeeeeee! As free as the wind blows!

DeletedUser

Set the apostrophes free! They shouldn't be confined to words serving no real purpose that can't be served adequately by context! Free the apostrophes!

Boooooorn freeeeeee! As free as the wind blows!

See? The enslavement of the apostrophe just seems so natural that even as I lament their plight do I hold them in thrall of capricious contractions! Be free!

Set the apostrophes free! They shouldnt be confined to words serving no real purpose that cant be served adequately by context! Free the apostrophes!