Wacht Am Rhein; Ardennes 1944

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser28032

Their was a loud bang from the rear of the building, followed by some sporodic rifle fire obviously Hanz had met some resistance round the back of the building.
"Sir, I am hit and i think Lukas is dead" Heinrich shouted from behind the jeep, Sven quietly cursed his luck there was too much open ground for either Wilhelm or himself to reach Heinrich and with the others similarly indisposed he decided to take a different approach "Hello can anybody in their hear me?...Parle vous Francais?*"

(*Still in german)
-----------
1st Platoon, 13th Fallschirmjäger
1) Oberleutnant Sven Rheinhardt (MP40, Walther PP, Hand Grenades)
2) Sgt Hanz Mueller (MP40)
3) Sgt Fritz Zimmerman (Scoped KAR98)
4) Pvt Lukas Scheider KIA (FG42)
5) Pvt Heinrich Schenker (G41 Rifle, FG42 Ammunition)
6) "Green" Soldier (KIA)
7) Pvt Wilhelm Dubreton (G41 Rifle, Radio)
8) Pvt Kurt Lukather (G41 Rifle)
9) Pvt Johan Fiegler (G41 Rifle)
10 Pvt Michael Kessel (G41 Rifle)

DeletedUser

"Get out of here, and hunt down those American dogs!" Rommel yelled at the surrounding men. His commander Colonel Sven Goriskon had been killed in the first volley. With only Rommel and a few other Lieutenants alive, the Platoon was hopeless. Rommel returned to the fight with his squad, as they barged through the American defenses. Sven Yuriskon, a Private who Rommel had taken a liking to, ran from his position armed with an Anti-Tank gun in his arms. "Get back to cover Sven!" Rommel barked at Sven Yuriskon, but unfortunately, the sound of machine gun fire stopped the message from reaching Sven's ears. Sven Yuriskon was cut down in seconds.

DeletedUser

"Hurry up! Get those guns pointed down the street." John yelled as the men hurried to position their guns. There were only 25 men left in his unit. Fortunately he had rallied enough rifleman to establish a picket line and even a rough front line of barricades. The radioman was still struggling over the radio when the first Germans appeared at the end of the road where one of the 75mm was positioned. "FIRE!" A HE round exploded sending bodies flying everywhere among the German ranks, perhaps now they could hold their position...

DeletedUser

james could hear lester and o'connor firing at the jerries in the back room,
"capra, stay here, i'm going into the back room to see what's happening. don't move an inch." he ordered. capra nodded.
james got down onto the floor and begun to crawl towards the door leading into the back room. once he reached it he carefully pushed it open,
lester and o'connor where firing their thompsons like mad, anyone would think that they were trying to fend off the entire damned german army, although, given the situation, they probably were.
as james looked on, the firing stopped, o'connor carefully stood up and slowly advanced towards the door leading outside, lester was covering him.
o'connor pushed open the wrecked door and stepped outside, he let out a burst of gunfire.
james heard an anguished cry, he hoped it was from a german.
o'connor came back inside, he was dragging a wounded german paratrooper with him, the jerry was trying to escape, even though he'd been shot in the leg and the stomach.
"stop struggling dammit!" o'connor hissed.
lester turned round and saw james in the doorway.
"don't worry sir, we got it all under control here!" lester grinned.
"i'm sure you have." replied james.
but before anything else could happen, some daft german started shouting out something.
"what's he talking about?" james muttered as he listened.
even though james didn't know what the jerry was shouting about, james decided to reply.
"listen here jerry! we got one of your men prisoner here! and if you don't lay down your arms and surrender then we'll kill him!" he yelled as loud as he could.
he doubted that the germans would understand what he was saying, and even if they did, they wouldn't surrender, but it was worth a try.

CASUALTY REPORT

james miller (Thompson, pistol, knife.)
john lester (Thompson, knife.)
liam o'connor (same)
tom rien (medic, blown to smithereens)
will capra (M1 carbine, knife)
frank cooper (dead)
jack willhelm (dead)
hadrian johnson (dead)
rick heston (BAR,dead)
george hanks (dead)

DeletedUser28032

Sven watched in horror as one of the Americans dragged Heinrich toward the building, Fritz fired from his position in the building hitting the american in the leg, a good shot considering the range and the risk of hitting Heinrich but unfortunatley it didn't prevent the American from completing his trip.
"Herr Oberleutannt, second platoon say they are approaching the building from behind, no word from third platoon" Sven nodded to his radioman, with more men they'd have the fire power to storm the place, though it'd probably cost Heinrich his life.
An American shouted a message from the window, obviously replying to his earlier attemp to communicate though apparently they spoke neither French or German "What did he say?" Sven questioned Wilhelm, who merely shrugged his shoulders "He said that if we don't surrender they'll shoot Heinrich" Both Sven and Wilhelm turned to watch Hanz return with Johan and Michael in tow, Michael muttered something about a lucky shot as he tried to bandage his arm.
"Hanz Tell them...that we have more men arriving and that if they shoot Heinrich then there is nothing to stop us storming the place... if they let him go unharmed we'll let them go in peace" Hanz raised an eyebrow at the last remark "Don't let high command hear you say that" Hanz grunted before proceeding to shout his message in heavily accented English to the Americans. Sven knew full well that the Americans wouldn't surrender but he might just persuade them to let one of his veterans go free.

----------------
1st Platoon, 13th Fallschirmjäger
1) Oberleutnant Sven Rheinhardt (MP40, Walther PP, Hand Grenades)
2) Sgt Hanz Mueller (MP40)
3) Sgt Fritz Zimmerman (Scoped KAR98)
4) Pvt Lukas Scheider (KIA) (FG42)
5) Pvt Heinrich Schenker (G41 Rifle, FG42 Ammunition)
6) "Green" Soldier (KIA)
7) Pvt Wilhelm Dubreton (G41 Rifle, Radio)
8) Pvt Kurt Lukather (G41 Rifle)
9) Pvt Johan Fiegler (G41 Rifle)
10 Pvt Michael Kessel (G41 Rifle)

DeletedUser

"Sir, we're managing to hold the town's fringes. And there are pockets of men throughout. On a positive note though it seems the frontline itself is stabilizing. If you want to go save those guys in the pockets now would be the time as its getting dark and I doubt the Panthers want to risk walking into any traps." "Aye, that'd be a good idea. I found one of those Tommy Guns lieing around, and there plenty of other junk too. I think we can move out now." John went out to gather volunteers for a relief party as the sky's persistant gloom continued to get worse. He found 10 able bodied men and after arming up they quietly snuck into town, towards the sound of yelling. Which eventually could be heard as a prisoner exchange of sorts...

John's Hardscrabble Platoon
1)Colonel John Laufner (M1911, Thompson M1A1) Profession-Artillery
2)Second Lieutenant John Abramoff (M1 Garand, Grenades) Profession-Infantry
3)Prvt. Kasey Johnson (M1 Garand, Grenades) Profession-Infantry
4)Private Bill Jackson (M3) Profession-Truck Driver
5)Sargeant John Johnston (BAR) Profession-Infantry
6)2nd Lieutenant Phil Fannon (M3) Profession-Artillery
7)Private Jack Walters (M3) Profession-Artillery
8)Private Murphy Waters (Johnson Rifle) Profession-Quartermaster Office
9)First Lieutenant Damon Roberts (M1A1 Thompson, Grenades) Profesion-Infantry
10)Private Montague Ford (M3) Profession- Artillery

DeletedUser

o'connor dragged the prisoner over to the centre of the room, where lester took over and o'connor started to examine his wounded leg.
"what do we do now sir?" asked lester.
"we wait until the jerries give a reply." said james.
and sure enough, the germans gave a reply, as the german finished shouting, lester looked at james and started to speak; "what are they saying sir? i can't quite make it out."
"aah, they're just shouting crap about how they have more men coming and that if we give the prisoner back they'll let us go unharmed." james said.
"do you think that they're telling the truth about their 'reinforcements?" lester asked.
"probably not, but i'm not taking any chances." said james as he turned around to shout a reply back to the germans.
"now listen very carefully fritz! we are going to walk out of this building with the prisoner on point, if you try anything, we will kill the prisoner!" he shouted as loud as he could.
james turned back to lester. "right, let's go, prisoner on point, lester, you guard the prisoner, o'connor, you watch out for germans from the front, me and capra will take up the rear." he ordered. slowly they walked out of the building in formation, james turned around and looked towards where he guessed the germans to be. he could see slight movement, he just hoped that they had understood what he had said.

CASUALTY REPORT

james miller (Thompson, pistol, knife.)
john lester (Thompson, knife.)
liam o'connor (same)
tom rien (medic, blown to smithereens)
will capra (M1 carbine, knife)
frank cooper (dead)
jack willhelm (dead)
hadrian johnson (dead)
rick heston (BAR,dead)
george hanks (dead)

DeletedUser28032

"What did they say?" Sven asked impatiently " Hanz sat and concentrated on what was said, it'd been along time since he'd first learnt English "They said that they're coming out and they'll shoot Heinrich if we do anything stupid, or something to that effect" Sven watched as the first of the Americans warily exited the building. "I am going to collect our guy if they do anything stupid I want the place saturated with grenades got it?" Hanz Nodded in agreement.
Placing his MP40 on the ground next to Hanz, Sven slowly broke cover and with raised hands made his way to meet the Americans. From where he stood he could see Fritz's position in the shop, he was hidden well and it was only because Sven had put him there that he knew where to look but having the sniper up there reasured him.
"Sir second platoon say they are in position" Wilhelm called across the open ground "Tell them to stand down we don't want any misunderstandings at the moment" Sven replied calmly mindful of the fact that he was currently stood in the open, and it was there right next to the jeep that he met the enemy face to face for the very first time.

DeletedUser

"Sir, I think our boys are starting to leave cover." "Good John. Bill, Phil, and Damon. Start moving down the street. If those men over there spot you indicate we're on their side. If you see a German, well fill'em with lead. The rest of you lineup, we're going to make the first German who shows his ugly mug into a duck!"

DeletedUser

"keep moving people, i wanna get out of this town as soon as possible." james said.
"sir?" asked capra.
"what is it?"
"why is there a jerry walking towards us with his hands up?"
"what?" james said in surprise.
"what do we do sir? do you think it's a trick?" asked capra.
"i don't know, capra, go to that jerry, disarm him and take him to the other prisoner, everyone else, keep moving!" ordered james.
capra walked towards the jerry who had his hands up, when he reached him, capra immiedietly started searching the german, from what james could see, capra took away a combat knife and a grenade from the german.

DeletedUser28032

Sven patiently allowed the American to search him, and watched as he took his combat knife and Grenade from him. Let him keep them they'd make nice souveneirs, he'd get another from stores later.
Once the American was satisfied that he was completely unarmed Sven strode towards the one carrying Heinrich. Smiling he took Heinrich from him and led him back towards his own men "Fall back Men we're going to set up in the church and No Sudden movements" Both platoons of German Paratroopers slowly got to their feet and fell back towards the church the Americans probably didn't realise how close they had come to being wiped out. Retrieving the machine gun from behind the jeep Sven followed his men, stopping only to salute the American Officer in thanks before proceeding to lead an Injured Heinrich away.

DeletedUser

Gunfire was ceased as John and the rest watched the prisoner exchange. "Sir, should we attack as they withdraw?" John paused, "No, our job is to save our men. Not to kill more Germans just so another 20 can replace them." The Germans were quietly watched as they withdrew. John felt slightly better after he noticed the hidden German platoon withdraw. He'd made a good decision not to attack. The men then approached the remaining Allied soldiers. "Who's your commander?"

DeletedUser

james watched as the German commander took away the prisoner.
"there goes our safeguard. let's just hope the jerries are good at keeping promises." said lester.
"let's move out. i wanna get away from this hell-hole as quickly as possible. " ordered james.
slowly the remainder of his squad began to move towards the edge of lthe town.
as they moved forwards, James could see a squad of what appeared to be artillerymen coming towards him. they asked who was in charge. James stepped towards them.
"I am." he said. he looked at the makeshift squad. he squinted at one of them, the one who was probably their commander.
"hey, aren't you that guy who was in charge of that gun battery back on the edge of town?" james asked.

DeletedUser

"Oh, its you." Said John in a deadpan sort of way. "Well, yes I'm that fellow, and if we could now skedaddle back up to my command post that would be convenient. Unless of course there are more pockets of troops in the area you know of..."

DeletedUser28032

It took around an hour to fortify the old church, sandbags barricaded ancient oak doors and the remaining stained glass windows. Sven stood and stared, marvelling at their beauty in the setting sun as his men stacked sandbags and hammered wood.
Third platoon had been wiped out only two of the original ten man team had survived the ambush at the edge of town along with the companies captain, Sven had accepted the field promotion grudgingly, he didn't like the idea of having so many mens lives in his hands.
"Sir where do you want us to site the MG?" the boy was young and inexperienced but was apparently an excellent shot or so he had heard. "Set it up on the north wall you'll get a good view of the street from there"
"Ja Herr Hauptman" hauptman Sven still couldn't get used to the idea of being in charge but it was starting to grow on him

DeletedUser

"why the hell do you wanna go back to your command post? that place is gonna be swarming with krauts!" james replied. "we have two options, either we retreat back into the forest or try and gather some men and counterattack elite troops when we have no armoured support, no air cover, and no preliminary bombardment, oh, and we haven't got any bazookas to deal with their panthers and stugs." he finished. it would be complete suicide to counter attack, but James had got the impression that john was probably tired of life or something.

DeletedUser

"I have men whose lives I'm responsible for you incompetent Nimrod! However I see part of your point and if you pardon me I think we should retreat to my post and see if we can all bug out. Preferably with more than this ragtag bunch."

DeletedUser

'okay, if you wann go to a place swarming with jerries. go ahead and do it." he replied.
"but i'm not going on a suicide run. go screw yourself."
and with that james turned around and started walking towards the forest, but after a few paces he turned around;
"oh, by the way, have you got any banages? it's just that one of my men here got shot in the leg."
one of the men stepped forward and pulled out a banage from his pocket.
james stepped forward and took the hankercheif. "thanks." he said as he walked over to o'connor and banaged ti around his wounded leg.
"okay guys, let's move out." he ordered.
james and his men began to walk towards the treeline.
this was even worse than normandy.

DeletedUser28032

Sven studied the map before him, on it he marked the positions of both friends and foe in pencil. In the background he could hear the chatter and static of the radio as Wilhelm spoke with the regimental HQ several miles to the west.
"With our forces in the woods advancing as fast as they are doing the Americans will have no choice but to withdraw through the city in the hope of linking up with their men here..." Sven tapped a circled area on the map it wasn't a threat in itself as it was too far away "...which means they will pass right through our position at the church"
The thought of the entire American army withdrawing through his hastily barricaded position worried him deeply.
"Herr Hauptman, command says they are unable to detach any more troops from the regiment to help us we're on our own" Sven sighed deeply resting his head in his work hardened hands. He'd suspected that they wouldn't help him but hearing it was even worse "Send a call to the Panzer Grenadiers in the area see if any of them are able to help us, Hanz I want an amunition check" Hanz saluted smartly before gathering some hapless privates to help inventory their dwindling ammo supply.
It would be morning soon Sven decided he should get some sleep he was going to need it.

DeletedUser

"Bah, lets go back." John promptly ordered the men to start retreating. They had only gotten halfway across town and he could hear explosions and gunfire everywhere. Fortunately perhaps they could get back to the command post in the middle of this chaos...

They had managed to get within walkie talkie range of the battery when they attempted to make contact, it was made. "Sir we're ready to pull out they're really pushing us hard." "Then run, do we have a rendezvous point?" "There's an old church that we'll be retreating through. I figure that we'll pick up anyone we can and run into you in say, 30 minutes." "Where's the church?" The radioman gave the position. "Thanks we'll be going that way." John quietly swore to himself as they found themselves going the way that other idiot had. They soon found that the church steeple was in view and blindly approached it, leaving cover as they got close to the building...

Status
Not open for further replies.