Very short story contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Once upon a time, no..wait..
In a galaxy far, far....ack, no. This is the West.

Howdy, pardners. This here is a contest to see who can write the best yarn about The West Quests. A short yarn. Five hundred words is all ya need to put down. But if the tale gets longer, that's okay too. Make it about your character doin' the new questies that the good folk of The West have given us. The winner gets to have his or her story put in the next issue of The Broken Saddle. Oh, and the Judge...why, that'd be yours truly. :D

Happy writin', y'all.

DeletedUser14280

I have an inquiry.
Instead of a 500 word+ story, why not something simpler? Like, say...a limerick?

DeletedUser

Is there anything in it for us? Besides the obvious honour and prestige that goes with winning, of course... :dry:

And how would you like the entries to be submitted? Via PM or in here for the whole world to see/plagiarize? ;)

DeletedUser

Is there anything in it for us? Besides the obvious honour and prestige that goes with winning, of course... :dry:

And how would you like the entries to be submitted? Via PM or in here for the whole world to see/plagiarize? ;)

The winner gets to have his or her story put in the next issue of The Broken Saddle.

Honour and prestige galore.

And here is where they should be submitted. If all of The West is going to see the winning entry in The Broken Saddle, it may as well be viewed by forumites first here. And when I say "here", I mean, of course, after I've cleaned up this thread. :laugh:

DeletedUser

My story

Bob climbed off his horse Jimmy.Nothing different about this town to all the others I rob and sabotage Bob thought will he took out his shotgun.Might as well make this one an easy one.He marched over to the bank door and aimed at the door.He pulled the trigger and bullets went into the bank and knocked open the door."Give me the money!" shouted Bob.The bankers gave him all the money they had.Bob smiled at them and thanked them for their co-operation.He then laughed and shot each of them with his shotgun."Easy as pie" said Bob.He walked out of the door and saw the Sherrif and his two deputies running over to him.He aimed at the deputy on the sherrif's right and shot him right in the face and did the same to the other deputy.He aimed at the Sherrif and pulled the trigger but no bullet would fire for he used up all his bullets.Bob put his shotgun down and took out his derringer.He walked out onto the street.The old duel where they shoot eachother to the death.Bob smiled, he hadn't had one of these in a while.Bob always cheats at these sort of things.He shoots first and kills them before he gets injured.He was going to do the same thing again.
A crack went as Bob lifted his arm to shoot when he felt the bullet whack his chest.He looked down and saw he was shot in the chest.Another deputy must have shot him while he wasn't looking.Damnit.I'm going to die here Bob thought.He opened his eyes again and saw the sherrif leaning over him.The Sherrif said "Hard luck boy, we'll try to keep you alive as long as you promise me you'll be my deputy and will never go rouge again!" Bob nodded since it was to sore and hard to talk."Good, now we got to get you to Betty.She'll be able to help you" said the Sherrif and he and two other town members lifted Bob up to bring him to Betty's house.Bob was in pain.Deep horrible pain.The bullet cracked 3 ribs and discolated his left shoulder.He'll never be able to hold a shotgun ever again.Betty bandaged Bob up and told him to keep all his movements with his left shoulder very gentle since he might risk making his injury worse.
He walked over to the sherrif's office to help him with some paperwork."Howdy Bob, Betsy fix you up good?" Sherrif asked."She fixed me up alright.Pretty badly injured.Only able to use my derringer now for a while" Bob replied.Sherrif nodded and told Bob to get his uniform on.A brown stetson,blue shirt,black trouser,gun holder on the belt,suspenders and a badge.Bob smiled, he never even considered being a good guy for once.He put on his uniform and grabbed his derringer and put it in his holder.He went outside to explore the little town.He first went to the saloon.When he entered everyone went quiet and a woman in a corner sobbed.He walked over to her and sat down beside her."You killed all of my sons!" she cried.Bob remembered the two deputies and 2 bankers and an innocent person beside the door when he shot it." How can I repay it?" Bob asked."You can dig their graves.Six feet the lowest" said the woman.Bob nodded and went to the general store and got a spade.He walked to the top of a hill and dug five 8 feet deep graves.The woman came up to check on him and saw the depth of the graves."Wow.You really must want to repay the outrageous deed" she exclaimed."Yes ma'am.I want to make it up for you.For all of the town" Bob said.
They both heard a crack come from the town and Bob ran with all his speed down to the town.Bandits.Seven bandits attacking the town.Bob took out his derringer and aimed into the back of the nearest bandit and shot him dead.I'm going to kill all of these bandits in revenge for them boys Bob thought.Bob shot four more bandits when there was only one more left.This bandit hide behind some barrels and was armed with a shotgun and wasn't going to let Bob get a shot on him.Bob decided that he was going to kill this bandit or die trying.He ran forward with a full derringer.The bandit stood up and shot at Bob.At the same time Bob emptied his derringer into the bandit.Bob and the bandit both fell and Bob lay on the ground face down.The sherrif ran over to Bob and grabbed Bob as he fell."Sherrif, I'm sorry for all I did... tell the deputies mother that I hope that this repaid the deed" wheezed Bob and Bob had his final gasp before he closed his eyes and lay still.

THE END!

Is that 500+ words?I can edit in more.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hmm nice.I hope it wins.Took all my imagination up.Got to go back to weights now.

DeletedUser

Recommendation --- Increase your chances of winning by adding spaces and breaking it down into paragraphs. Proper formatting makes a huge difference in readership.

DeletedUser

Ok, I'm going to make some into paragraphs and add some more spaces.

DeletedUser

Redemption One, a short story by Schofield
November 18th, 1887
There were four rugged men on horseback riding up a dirt road. Each of them had a bandana draped around their necks. They did not seem pressured by the cold at all. The road was leading to the small town of Green Springs, located just south of the Mississippi delta. The four men began to ready themselves for what was to come.
"Wyatt, your gun loaded?" One of the men asked the other."Yes sir." The one named Wyatt answered, he had a short Mexican style beard, but his accent gave away that he was from the deep heart of Georgia. His gun was a shortened M1887 shotgun, the barrel was down to 8 inches and the butt stock had been sawn off.
The men began to ride deeper into the town of green springs, passing first a Hotel, then a Saloon, and also a barber shop. "Hey Bob, you going to get that thing cut this afternoon?" one of the men said.
Bob answered, "Shut your goddamned mouth, boy!" The man had obviously offended Bob, as he began to stroke his moustache with his fingertips. He had a horseshoe moustache, and it had grayed with age, and had gone untrimmed for quite some time. "I've had this moustache longer than you've had your pecker." Bob finally said with a laugh. A few seconds later, his smile went away. "Enough talking about crap, we've got us a bank to collect from."
"Yeah, I can't wait to get a new gun with the money!" One of the men said, and he began laughing, "That is, if I don't get to hog tie some of the fair patrons first, remember that gal in Abilene?"
"Walter, you are covering the front." Bob commanded. "You had your fun for about three months worth. Now, Wyatt, you have the clerks. Chester, you pack up the green from the safe, I've got the hostages."
"Alright." Wyatt said, looking around at the familiar town buildings as the other three men began to pull their bandanas over their faces. "When I got the shotgun in their face, raise some hell." They dismounted, and Wyatt went in alone. As he opened up the door, he felt the warmth of fire burning in a fireplace. There were three citizens in the bank, and two tellers. One of the tellers was a woman; she was pretty, and only 23 or so. He decided to go to her instead of the alternative, a man in his late 40's. "Howdy, miss." Wyatt said.
The young woman was in the process of opening envelopes with a letter opener when he greeted her. Startled, she dropped the letter opener on the booth as he smiled. "Oh, hello, you startled me..." She said with a grin.
"Say, don't I know you from somewhere?" He said, calmly. She did seem familiar. He had been in the town of Green Springs three years earlier; he had been in love with a girl who looked just like her, named Elizabeth. He blinked a few times.
"Well I can't say that I..." She looked into his eyes, "it can't be..." She backed away from the booth. "Wyatt?"
He was stunned. "Elizabeth? What are you doing here?" He stammered.
"You left me here, Wyatt. You left me with my heart broken, and you left me with your own son."
Wyatt was in shock, he did not know that he was a father, and for three long years he didn't know. "I, I didn't know, I mean..."
Outside, the three bandits were madly waiting, "Come on, come on!" One of them whispered.
"Chester, shut up." Bob said, as he drew his Peacemaker. "He's in there. I can see him."
"What's he doing, screwing the clerk?" Chester asked.
Bob leaned a bit, and got a good look at the clerk. "No, he already done that." He too, recognized her. "Let's just go in." He decided.
"Listen Elizabeth!" Wyatt said, "If I would have known, If you would have told me..."
"You knew when you came with me to bed that night, that you would be a father, you deceitful *******!" Elizabeth yelled.
The other clerk walked over, "Woah, woah, woah, Elizabeth, what's the matter?" He said.
"Ehm. Nothing," A familiar voice said, as Bob walked over and put his hand on Wyatt's shoulder. "You see, this is a stickup." He said, as he aimed the Colt at the man.
"Up to the same old tricks, are you Wyatt?" Elizabeth said.
"Who the hell is that?" Wyatt said, spitting at the male clerk. "Is that grandpa your new fiancé or just your boss?" He asked.
"Wyatt, it's not your position to ask!" Elizabeth said, "And no, you know that you are the only man who ever meant a damn in my life!" She said, and a tear rolled down her cheek. "Why would you assume otherwise?"
"Everybody down!" Bob yelled at the citizens watching the scene, "This is a robbery!"
Chester rushed in and hoped over the counter kicking at the safe. "Open this damn thing already!" He yelled. He took a potato sack and stretched it a bit to hold all of the money.
"I'm coming just don't kill anyone!" The teller said as he slowly walked over to the safe to open it. He began spinning the dial.
Wyatt and Elizabeth stared at each other through the booth; Wyatt was sad and remorseful, while Elizabeth was compelled by anger. "If it hadn't been for you, I would have someone in this world, I would have a big family, and my father wouldn't be stuck with the burden of having a daughter who screwed a criminal who just got up and left her." Elizabeth said. "You should just die, Wyatt."
Wyatt backed away, a sad expression on his face, and he walked out the door to stand with Walter.
Chester finished loading the sack with money as the old man sat huddled in a corner with the other hostages. "Let's get out of here." Chester said.
"Right behind you." Bob said, as they rushed out the door.
Elizabeth and the old man watched as the bandits rode off on their horses, the gray light outside was a clear indication that there would be a slight chance of snow.
"I see why you liked him, honey." The old man laughed.
"Daddy, he is still an uncommitted coward. Nothing can change that." Elizabeth said, and she turned to him. "Let's just hope Jameson isn't like that."

Diggo11

Bump. If your reading this you've found the right place to submit your January Contest Short Stories :)

DeletedUser

Figured i would put my two cents in on this story. From what i get it is supposed to be featuring the work of a job and incidents before and after.

The bandit walks out town while the sun finishes setting. The smoke is still rising off his pistol while he lights up his cigar.

"Nothing like taking easy money from builders and adventures." He smiles and then exhales his smoke. "Much less telling everyone how you need duelers and soldiers, you were basically begging me to take your money. I dont know how i keep running across easy wins and people with a lot of money, maybe praying actually helps." He lets out a deep laughter.

He mounts his mustang and places his musket in a side pouch. "We have a decent ride to west end girls. Lets see how fast you can go." He pushes his spurs into the horse. The horse jumps a little and they take off.

An hour later they arrive in town. He proceeds to the tailor immediately, not making eye contact with anyone. Slight murmurs rise in the background but he continues on his path.

he pushes in door open and nearly knocks a soldier over. Chooses not to say a word to him and goes right to the counter. The man behind the counter is shaking and some how manages, "Um, Mr Dalton how can i help you."

Dalton laughs again. "dont worry i wont be fighting today, just need to pick up a fancy slouch hat."

"Oh you must be looking for grizzles then, very popular among the hunters lately." The employee says but then stops and apologizes. "didnt mean to assume i am sorry." He places the hat on the counter.

Dalton stares at him, and the employee starts visibly shaking. Dalton then laughs. "You hit it right on the head, maybe if your lucky i will come back to sell you a few trophies." He places the money on the counter and starts walking out.

Dalton eyes the soldier and then smiles, " You heard of me before, i know you did, just be happy i wasn't here to take you out." Dalton laughs while the soldier watches Dalton leave.

Suprisingly he manages to get two trophies from hunting. With only minor injuries. " Looks like i made out well today, now lets go rest somewhere. Come to think of it the worker at west end girls seemed to be looking forward for me to come back, hate to disappoint him."

He arrives in town and its a late at night. "Guess i will just get a few drinks and then rest in the hotel."

"You will be resting somewhere soon Dalton," Yells a man with three behind him. " we have been looking for you to pay you back for stealing from our members."

" Well if you would have just shot instead of talking you may have had a chance, unfortunately i dont miss. well unfortunately for you." Dalton laughs and goes to draw his pistol.

A loud bang echoes behind a house. Dalton drops to his knees. " We would have dueled you fair if you did for us, but shooting in the back is fine when you fight how you do." A handman says who is standing behind Daltons body.

DeletedUser

The cursed tree?

Snowyflake, World 10, Vladyvostok.
Entry for the January competition, short (or not so) story.
A bit more than 1.4k words, sorry if that's a problem.:blink:
Ty for reading.

Last month, after finishing my shift at the fort, still hoping some of the soldiers would be so kind to gift me a union flag, and coming back to the town, I set down my exhausted bottom in the saloon. Facing the door, across Waupee, my back against the warm fireplace Henry recently had constructed, I overheard him talking to some rowdy looking cowboy, who apparently managed to get his hands on some gold flakes. By the looks of the guy he stole it. It kind of made me mad, but it's the West, you survive or you don't, easy as that. It sounded like Henry was looking for an evergreen tree, some sort of a small pine or something similar, to serve him as a Christmas tree.

By the time I managed to put together what Henry was saying, Waupee was done with his cigar, and so was I. John finally took notice of me, after taking his eyes of Maya's legs. Strange, always thought he had his eyes set on me, but playing hard to get was the way to go since he obviously liked his whiskey more than his women.

„John, still no luck with the flag, but I might get one for his next birthday. “
„Very funny Snowy, just get it, will ya? “ – His Irish roots became visible as he spoke.
„So, what's with the newest obsession our Henry has? “
„Oh, right, the girl scout in you just woke up? “

They sometimes called me „girl scout“, it's not because I sold cookies for living or something like that, but John, Maya and Waupee noticed I loved doing small favors, or rather tasks for all of them. In our small and cold town of Vladyvostok, I became known for my ability to get my hands on peculiar items, from various jobs, difficult, boring, or just plain insane. And so various nicknames came into existence, like „fixer“, „pack rat“, or the formerly mentioned „girl scout“. I did like those nicknames, but saying or admitting that was not an option, especially not for a woman in the West.

„Shut it! “
„All right, hold your horses. So, about the tree. He wants to make his kid happy. She read somewhere about Christmas and all the customs that go with it, decorating the tree, presents, so now the proud father has to find a tree. And you know he can't leave the bar for too long. I did suggest him to get a cactus for the gal, he lost it and took my drink away. Had to beg him to pour me anther one for more than twenty minutes. “

Maya saw our little gang talking or rather whispering at the table, wrapped up the business with the rest of the wannabe dancers and joined us.

„I still say you should make an act Snowy, the way you can dance and bend, it's amazing, and I bet all the guys from the fort would pay triple the normal price just to see you wear some feathers.“
„Shush, I’m on a mission! “
„The tree? “
„The tree! Oh, and Maya, no feathers in front of John, he'll have a heart attack. “

Finishing that sentence, picking up my cigars and looking seriously at John I left, saddled my pony and headed north. I remembered seeing lumberjacks going in that direction some weeks ago. After few hours in the saddle I made a stop, had some beans and beef, and continued till the evening of the next day. In front of me was a small settlement, with a small lumber mill at the far side. I made my way towards it, hoping to find someone still working. None was around, but the mill was obviously used till recently, the scent of freshly sawed wood was in the air. Tried looking around some more, and entered a house nearby, still nothing.

„Cat burglar!!!! “ – was the scream from the outside.
„What the …“was the initial reaction of mine, just a split second before diving in the dirt. Than the glass broke, and the sound of bullets flying filled the room. There was no point in staying there, pinned down, or trying to talk my way out of this one. I crawled towards the back door, and ran for them woods.

After some half hour, I was in the woods, and night started coming down, really fast. A night in the woods, how romantic, and my pony was probably gone by now. The Army revolver was not lost in the commotion, and neither were the bullets. Wolves howling somewhere, yes that was I really needed at that moment. A hungry pack of wolves to keep me warm, or in their bellies. Few feet to the left, forward of me there was a sound of a branch snapping. I did hear something stepping carefully towards me, and I set my revolver. The beast was right around the bush, so I sidestepped and fired of a round. There was my pony! I shot my own pony??!!

Luckily it was a light wound which I was able to close quickly. If you are wondering why the pony did not run away when it got shot, the answer is simple. My pony was an army issue horse, issued for performing my tasks in the past. Only thing it could not do is to fire a Winchester rifle, but I guess with enough training I could teach it to shoot from a bow. Hmm, nice idea, I’ll have to write that one down. And of course I would not be riding my wounded pony anywhere now, that much animal instinct even I have.

I thought of scrapping the tree mission, and started walking back towards Vladyvostok, soon after I cleared the woods few miles west of the too-paranoid-for-their-own-good lumberjack town. The idea came to me to actually try and get some sleep. There was something that did look like a nice spot. A slight slope just at the edge of the forest. No need to tell you that after an eventful evening I just dropped, like a fifty pound stone from a fort wall.

„Huh? Rumbling? What the …? “

Tried to close my eyes again and than it hit me. There could be only one possibility for the sound. Buffalos going for a walk, or rather a run. My pony recognized the sound too and was getting uneasy. Standing on the saddle I tried judging their direction. Heh, I was in luck, they were heading my way. Time to pack up and leave, lightning speed.

Grabbing at the blanket I slept on, there came a sudden urge to kick myself in the face. I bloody slept less than four feet away from the most perfect silvery colored little pine tree. I've tried to yank it out, but it didn't work. Than I took the rope, fastened one end to the saddle and the other end to the pine.

„Hiya! “

And the Christmas tree for Henry's lil' girl was procured. The first buffalos ran past only about a dozen or so feet away. No time to think. I jumped into the saddle and rode towards the forest. At the next moment there came a feeling something was pulling my insides out. Those buffalos got entangled in the rope and the tree. Unless I really wanted to die under their hooves the rope had to be cut, and so it was with a quick draw of the blade.

By now I had enough of excitement, and just wanted to sleep in a bed somewhere. I turned my pony around and headed for Vladyvostok. Couple of miles north of the town there were some animal tracks, pointing towards the town. As I came closer I realized whatever animals that were, they passed right through the town. General store was a mess, the stables were half destroyed. I left my pony with Jimmy's lil' boy and headed to Henry's saloon.

„Son of a …! Henry where did you get that silvery pine!? “
„You wouldn't believe it, but right after the buffalos were gone I found it right outside the saloon. Granted, it does look a bit dusty and trampled but it's perfect in every other way. “
„Any chance it had a rope tied to it? “
„Yeah, how did you know that!? “
„Never mind, I’m off to bed. “

Status
Not open for further replies.