Version 2.63 update to town points

DeletedUser34505

I feel like the developers are just making "screw you" decisions to see how absurd they can make things before everyone just up and quits the game.

The recent update changed the way town rankings are calculated. Not a huge deal to most, but to the players that are pure construction, its a big thing. For me its not really about who is "number 1" on a server, but its a tape measure for progress. Now each level is worth 100 points, which means my week to week progress on a town is measured in miniscule amounts.

Town dueling points is just about the least accurate thing in the game. I don't really understand the algorithm for this, and I am sure the only person that does is the one guy at inno that wrote that part of the game. It makes almost no sense.

Meanwhile, forts have now become single most important thing in terms of town points. ONE large fort gives you the same amount of points as a ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY SIX level church. Let's be real, fort fighting is boring and a weak part of the game, with minimal rewards. Its time consuming and nearly pointless unless you are online for the battle. But Inno has basically made it the single most important part of the game in terms of "value". A 45 minute battle for a small for has become worth the same amount of time as it takes someone to build an 89 level church.

Inno, you just lost a premium account. I'll play, but from now on its for free.

cheers

DeletedUser

First, i don't care about town rankings.

Second, town rankings should be valued according to overall contribution of it's members to the playing world. Church building contribute nothing to the rest of the world.

Third, by checking Colorado rankings, new town now stands proudly solo on top spot and it has 0 points from forts. It has 175k from duels only! And this is how it makes great impact on whole world by doing one of core activities of old west. Well deserved, i think. (Disclaimer, i'm not part of that town).

jarograv

Let's be real, fort fighting is boring and a weak part of the game, with minimal rewards
As opposed to clicking to set build every 9 hours?

Everybody enjoys different aspects of the game and prior to this update the rankings consisted solely of church building. Yea, it considered fort and duel points, but that was a minor amount compared to church levels. Now the ranking has a greater balance between all aspects of the game and there is talk of including other activities as well. There also might be a change in how duel points work to make it so that 1-man towns aren't on top just because they were active in dueling in 2013. The town ranking should be a ranking of each towns accomplishments in game activities.

On the topic of forts being worth too much, I disagree. Forts get won and lost everyday and a town who has been very successful in winning forts (I'll use ToG on Colorado for example) has around 117k points by owning 8 forts. Looking at the highest ranked in duel points, they have 175k (Once again, this is on Colorado). That's reasonably comparable in terms of the amount of ranking points given for each activity. Maybe building points were nerfed too much given that that it'd take a level 1000+ church to reach that amount of points - more likely it is because devs see church building as less of a competitive activity than duels and forts.

I expect there are going to be more changes to the ranking in the near future anyway, so I wouldn't get panties in a twist just yet.

DeletedUser35101

I have a question....
When we open up any town on map, we can in it's overview see number of people in that town and also town points... but those points are only points from constructing town...

Why in town overview doesn't it give "Total number" of town points (construction points with added dueling points, fort points, achievement points)? I can't remember exactly, but wasn't it like that before?!
http://prntscr.com/gpzqif

DeletedUser34505

Understood on the comments regarding the fact that town ranks were disproportionately affected by the church level.

But 100 points per church level? That is too much over correction. A 300 level church provides a town with 30,000 points?

Building for a few players is kind of a passion. It requires a fair amount of dedication. For people who think it's setting 9 hours and logging off have never built. There are no cash or gear rewards. In no basically is saying "stop building". For people that really enjoy building it's a huge f you.

DeletedUser26820

I agree with you, whitey. This is a real kick in the nuts.

If there's a change to a town ranking formula, then include ALL variants and factors that contribute to game activity.
Reward a town for having all 4 crafting guilds at L700 relative to those that don't.
Reward a town for it's citizens logging in to play relative to those that don't.
Reward a town for having the most participants at a FF relative to those that don't.
Reward a town for contributing to the Traveling Fair relative to those that don't.

But don't come out and penalize a town for having a L300 church for this is exactly what has been done. It's taken 5 toons over 10,000 hours to get it there.
And when that starts counting for less or becoming a "penalty" relative to owning a fort and doing nothing with it or click click clicking to duel others, it's a real kick in the nuts.

Why has click click clicking to increase the level of a church that can be measured just become less valuable than it once was to click click clicking to duel another toon????
Don't penalize by reducing it's value. Instead, increase the value of other dynamics/activities relative to it if there's a need for "balance".

Inno has just told us that putting in 3000 hours to build a church is less valuable to their game then setting a job for 3000 times that contribute 0 to a town being built. There used to be pride and value in building something, but Inno is sending a clear message it now means a lot less and maybe next to nothing. Wrong message to be sending.
Don't make those 3000 hours I gave less valuable or contributory to the game when I've poured nuggets into the Ded Moroz's set to have it nerfed by a Ben Franklin's set.

There was a much better way to handle this, and once again, Inno has failed us.

bosurker

I understand the grievances but do people actually just log on to build church - for the sake of building the church? I myself have over 3,000 hours of church construction on Fairbank, and absolutely despise it. The only reason I do it, is the massive amount of experience given from doing it - which is the real reward of church construction. Aside from it's previous role as the heaviest weighted town-ranking decider - all it does for players is give experience and nothing more. To insinuate that church construction was benefiting this game in so many ways is just comical, and your complaint that "fort fighting is boring and a weak part of the game" is an absolute joke. There is an event server with 2,600 active participants from all servers competing for the Title as best Fort Fighters - and last I checked there is no event up seeing who can build their church the quickest.

DeletedUser26820

Yes, I did, and I'm not the only one.
For silly reasons that Inno has just told me was a complete waste of my time, I wanted 3000 hours on a single church, because it meant something.
For silly reasons that Inno has just told me was a complete waste of my time, I wanted to see a L300 church, because it meant something.

If I had seen this coming, I would have invested those 3000 hours out in their cotton fields, picking it for them, singing "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" while smiling and being beaten with a whip. At least I'd have some cash and luck drops instead of a kick in the nuts.

Picking cotton in the hot sun has just become a better investment of time relative to church building.
So I respectfully disagree with that message being sent.

DeletedUser34505

To insinuate that church construction was benefiting this game in so many ways is just comical, and your complaint that "fort fighting is boring and a weak part of the game" is an absolute joke.

1. Don't assume everyone experiences the game as you do. I enjoy church building, and have spent many hours doing this. I take pride in several aspects, there is the experience benefit, but also I take pride in 4,000 hours dedicated to my town, to 5 million used construction points, more than maybe anyone on the en servers, to hopefully soon building a level 300 church, and to having that effort quantified by the points needed, not 100 points per level.

2. Fort fighting is a joke, and I don't care how many people signed up for an event server, on an the server I play we don't even fill smalls. So don't tell me fort fighting is exciting. I have played over 600 fort fights in the course of 6 years. Fort fight is a weak part of the game. Bonds are next to worthless, so what rewards do you get?

Inno dropped the ball on this, it's a blatant effort to get more people to spend nuggets on fort fighting gear. Just terrible.

DeletedUser35101

Solution to this can be that town points be cleared after town has no residents... or decreases if none builds town for while... same as dueling points decrease if person doesn't duel for while, but for town bit faster (though it could be bit faster for dueling thingy also!)

On one of worlds i play... during CTF event "made up, mod char for event" made new town for event and since nothing to do, but stay in town and wait... that character built church in that town to over lvl 200.. made that town no1 spot for long... and one man joining that ghost (after CTF event) town, person with doing barely anything kept no1 spot in ranking for long ....This also not fair for all rest in game

But constructing church over lvl 200 takes a lot of effort and dedication from ones doing it...and all that spit on ones doing it, on ones liking to do just that in game... think twice and respect ones that do it! Cause there are ones that just play game and enjoy just doing construct! There are ones that just play game for doing crafting, yes o do know some doing just this! If that not your kind of game, don't make feel bad ones that like that type of play, give them some respect too and do try to see things from their point of view, same as you see duels and battles you play.
Cause some only do play game because of dueling on some world.. or just cause of battling on some other or just because of crafting or just because of constructing.

And skilling to build town that high should also be valued, can't be just looked as "100 points per church lvl" check out how many skills are needed to build up church to lvl 300 and what is construct points gotten per hr and how many points is needed for each lvl. It is higher dedication than dueling and fighting, since ones constructing get nothing beside good exp points if you look at rewards per hr... Ans also since players doing building this high are forced to skill full construct and if they dont do "on purpose duel KO" to get protection.. they are easily KO in duel, while they work on town SINCE how job is set for construct is still pre v.2 of game and if people don't have enough points for setting job, they can't do it which also includes switching to protection clothes after setting jobs...

Work on solutions first before setting restrictions....

DeletedUser26820

Go to market today and sell 500 pieces of granite at purchase price of $10 each.

30 days from now, get a support ticket letting you know that granite is now valued less and should have been priced at $5 each when you sold it, and that the difference has been taken from your bank treasury.

That's what just happened.

Any simple common sense corporation or for-profit enterprise will have a clue to make an announcement as easy as:
"In 90-days, church building is going to be nerfed relative to other activities within our organization, so please start taking the appropriate measures and readjusting your daily activities. And oh yeah, those Ded Moroz's and Ben Franklin's uniforms we rolled out for you to purchase at your own expense just became worthless so try to recoup your losses now."

It's not too much to ask....

DeletedUser34505

Posting again since I just plain cannot understand the logic here.
Why not just delete the church entirely? If they don't want people to build then they should remove the church, or cap the level at 300, or 250, or 200.

Any mods even care about this continued abuse of hard working players in favor or the drive to generate more money?
Why not just put the game on facebook and be done with it?

What has happened in the past year?
1. Switch fort fighting skills from toughness and hiding to hiding and setting traps.
2. Include crafting and fort fighting rankings.
3. Release halloween tombola. $$$
4. Release xmas tombola. $$$
5. Release Valentine's day tombola. $$$
6. Release Easter tombola. $$$
7. Release 4th of July tombola. $$$
8. Release Oktoberfest tombola. $$$
9. Release Football gear (nugget set) $$$
10. Release Wright Bros. Set (nugget set) $$$
11. Release Prison Bros. Set (nugget set) $$$
12. Release 4 new questlines.

Disproportionate amount of time spent developing stuff to sell as opposed to developing the game.
Mods, do the devs even tell you this stuff ahead of time? Or just tell you to release the details of the update? Was this idea vetted or discussed?

DeletedUser34408

How are Duel Points calculated? There is a town on Arizona.net with 118 duels total in its entire town history that has ~38,000 duel points and another town on the same server that was established 2009 or so with 70,000+ duels of which 50,000+ are wins and only has ~36,000 duel points, how does a town with 118 duels total end up with more duel points than a town with 70,000+ duels? I think the way duel points are calculated needs to revisited, it's not even close to being accurate.

DeletedUser26820

There is no logic with this.
At this point, the question should be how is common sense calculated by the Inno Team running this game.
2 + 2 used to equal 4, but now equals 2.9578 or some arbitrary number they'll change at their willy-nilly will without any advance notice.

Does an employee of Inno even play this game?
Have they built on a L300 church?
How many nuggets have they invested to get that done?
Did they chase after Ded Moroz's gear to then be fooled into chasing Ben Franklin's gear in under 6 months?

Every town used to know where they stood, but one morning they wake up, with no advance notice, to see their town rank dropped by 10 levels, if not more.

This might not be important to many, but for some, it's a measurable ranking we took pride in and used to motivate town mates.

The way this was handled is a game killer.
Well done, Inno. You're choking a golden goose.

DeletedUser34408

There is no logic with this.
At this point, the question should be how is common sense calculated by the Inno Team running this game.
2 + 2 used to equal 4, but now equals 2.9578 or some arbitrary number they'll change at their willy-nilly will without any advance notice.

Does an employee of Inno even play this game?

I think you hit the nail on the head and I don't mean that disrespectfully, it's a natural progression, when your role changes in a certain environment it's only natural that your mind set changes to fit your new role. I think some aspects of the town ranking formula especially the way dueling points are calculated is more of a reflection of how they want the game to be played rather than a reflection of how the game is being played. Not everyone can reskill at the drop of a dime especially on the .net servers and in many instances towns decide to participate in activities as a group, a long time dueling town may decide to reskill as fort fighters for a while, they may not dig any forts to claim ownership but still participate in every battle and in the meantime their town dueling points erode?, so much so that a town with 118 duels total eclipses their 70,000 duel total in terms of duel points. On the other hand, with fort fighting and fort points (which for the record I think is fine) , some forts or "home" forts as they are commonly known because of a long term agreement between the 2 major alliances that most servers seem to have these days haven't been attacked/defended in years yet the town gets to keep the original amount of points regardless of activity.

DeletedUser22685

Church building has made an absolute mockery of the ranking system for the last few years since the church was given unlimited levels. When you could gain in excess of one million town points from building alone, any points gained via forts and/or duelling were worth nothing in comparison, completely eliminating the need to participate in either of these activities from a town perspective. Given that said activities are the two major PvP elements of the game and therefore actually have an impact on more than one player at a time, I'd say it's far more conducive to game activity to encourage towns to focus more on duelling and fort fighting than spamming hour after hour of a useless job which benefits nobody other than the individual gaining experience points from doing so.

Most of what I wanted to say has been covered eloquently by Fafer, jaro and bosurker, but there are a few points I'd still like to comment on.

Let's be real, fort fighting is boring and a weak part of the game, with minimal rewards. Its time consuming and nearly pointless unless you are online for the battle. But Inno has basically made it the single most important part of the game in terms of "value".
I find it hard to believe that you aren't being sarcastic by saying this. That's how completely backwards it is. It's almost as though you've tried to describe building, but then replaced all references to building with fort fights instead.

Boring? Fort fighting is the only part of the game where you get to actually control your character in real-time, interacting with dozens of other players as you do so (I'm not including adventures since what little amount of enjoyment you could ever gain from them has been ruined by the toxic community).

Minimal rewards? Fair statement compared to the massive amounts of exp you can gain from building and duelling (if you choose to duel that way), but this kind of goes against the rest of your admittedly poor argument where you're trying to claim that fort fighting is now the only thing worth doing.

Time consuming? A full medium battle lasts about an hour and a half if it goes the distance. Travel time is negligible in today's game with the plethora of speed buffs available and tombola gear allowing you to cross the map in about twenty minutes. That's about two hours out of your day dedicated to the battle, compared to queuing nine hours of construction and waiting for them to finish.

Pointless unless you're online for the battle? I guess you could say that. Personally I haven't been a regular onliner in years and I don't exactly find my offline battles very fun. I still travel to each day's battle overnight though, since at least that way I might be able to help my team accomplish something, as opposed to if I spent that time building which would earn experience for myself and provide absolutely no benefit to anyone else. You tell me which is more pointless.

Only part of the game in terms of value? You're acting like being in the top ranked town is the only measure of success or "value" in the entire game. Even if that were the case, this update has done quite the opposite. It has taken church building, the influence of which on the town rankings was so ridiculously disproportionate compared to the other factors that it might as well have been the only criteria, and brought it down to a comparable level. With towns now separated by such small margins, even member points have the potential to have an impact on the rankings, which hasn't been the case in many years. I fail to see how diversity in the rankings is a bad thing.

Building for a few players is kind of a passion. It requires a fair amount of dedication. For people who think it's setting 9 hours and logging off have never built. There are no cash or gear rewards. In no basically is saying "stop building". For people that really enjoy building it's a huge f you.
I've done many hundreds of hours of construction on many different worlds. My first two characters back in 2009 were builders and I was actively building as recently as two years ago. It literally is setting nine hours and logging off. Sure, now you can buff your energy and motivation to build around the clock, but that doesn't mean it takes any careful thought or forward planning. There are no cash or gear rewards, but it's the best exp rate in the game and that's the only reason anybody ever chooses to build their church.

Since exp hasn't been nerfed I fail to see how they've told anyone to stop building. In fact, the top ranked town on Colorado - which I see has been mentioned a couple of times already - is still the town with the most construction points on that world. However, where it would have been impossible for anyone to ever overtake that town under the old system, the new update has put the top 10 towns within 150k points of one another. Competitiveness is generally healthy, especially with the game in its current state where competitiveness has been all but eliminated by the ability to buy your way to the top in most other areas.

But don't come out and penalize a town for having a L300 church for this is exactly what has been done. It's taken 5 toons over 10,000 hours to get it there.
And when that starts counting for less or becoming a "penalty" relative to owning a fort and doing nothing with it or click click clicking to duel others, it's a real kick in the nuts.
In no way are towns being penalised for having a higher level church than others. They're just not being disproportionately rewarded like they were before. There's a huge difference between being penalised and having a reward reduced, so don't twist the facts to suit your argument which in all likelihood you're probably only making because your town dropped on the rankings.

Inno has just told us that putting in 3000 hours to build a church is less valuable to their game then setting a job for 3000 times that contribute 0 to a town being built. There used to be pride and value in building something, but Inno is sending a clear message it now means a lot less and maybe next to nothing. Wrong message to be sending.
I'm trying not to spend as much time replying to your posts as I did with white's. His opinion, though I don't agree with it, was at least presented with some reasonable arguments. This analogy, on the other hand, is utter rubbish. Jobs have absolutely nothing to do with the town ranking system and therefore this update. I don't know what logic you've applied to reach the conclusion that church building is now less valuable than jobbing because it now provides less town points than it did previously, despite jobs continuing to provide zero. There is still pride in building something, if you're really going to act like that's what's bothering you about it. The highest level church will still be the highest level church, and the town with the highest level church will still have the highest amount of town construction points. You can still see it in the rankings, you just aren't guaranteed the top spot overall anymore.

The rest of your posts continue trying to present the same flawed argument in a progressively more nonsensical fashion, so I'll ignore those.

Any mods even care about this continued abuse of hard working players in favor or the drive to generate more money?

1. Switch fort fighting skills from toughness and hiding to hiding and setting traps.

Disproportionate amount of time spent developing stuff to sell as opposed to developing the game.
A while ago it would've offended me to be accused of not caring about the direction this game has taken over the last three or four years, but I'm starting to reach the point where I don't have the energy to care. If you have a look at my recent posts you'll find that almost all of them are anti-tombola rants, or at least expressing some kind of anti-tombola sentiment. Unfortunately it's clear that there's nothing we can do to stop the tombolas now, but believe me when I say that long ago when we thought there was still a chance to turn things around I was one of the most vocal tombola opponents internally as well. It's even harder for those of us who have given thousands of hours to Inno as volunteers to see our pleas fall on deaf ears than it is for you as players.

Mods, do the devs even tell you this stuff ahead of time? Or just tell you to release the details of the update? Was this idea vetted or discussed?
Yes, they do. In fact, the players get to find out about these things in advance as well. There's something known as the Beta server, where this update was live long before it came to the real worlds. If you'd like to have your opinion heard before an update is released, you're more than welcome to register there and help with the testing. And, for the record, every mod and almost every reasonable player I've seen comment on the update in question has agreed wholeheartedly that it's a positive change.

DeletedUser15368

I wasn't going to comment, because Jaro, Futu and others have said everything that needs to be said, but this comment triggered me and I can't let it slide.
Posting again since I just plain cannot understand the logic here.
Why not just delete the church entirely? If they don't want people to build then they should remove the church, or cap the level at 300, or 250, or 200.

starting from update 2.43 from September 27th 2016, this is everything i could find that was publicly announced (there's a lot of internal improvements too that aren't announced).
Here are the main new features from the last year:
  • 12 new country belts
  • Fort icons on mini-map
  • Improved chat topics
  • Improvements for mobile users
  • New fort rank, Sergeant
  • Veteran Shop improvements
  • New item collections
  • Adventure skill balancing, statistics, elimination of red team advantage
  • Fortbattle rankings
  • Crafting rankings
  • Balanced construction influence on Town ranking

Here are the main bug fixes from the last year:
  • Optimised the behaviour when a friend logs in or out of the game to perform significantly faster
  • Town Hall/Chat Scrolling
  • Telegram window performance improvements
  • Questbook: Some players experienced a game crash while checking a specific tab in the questbook
  • The Town icon was misaligned when players were townless
  • Emoticons in chat will have their original code (like `:)`) in clipboard when copying messages.
  • Each player's profession is now shown in the chat tooltip
  • When your character dies, the task queue updates automatically
  • Saloon column sorting
  • Fixed Migrations
  • Fort Battle Bonuses didn't work properly
  • Improved the performance of our animations in the user Interface
  • Improved the performance of the chat, so we may be able to allow more players per general chat in the future
  • Repeatable questlines were broken
  • Fortbattle performance improvements
Here are the new questlines from the last year (spoiler, it's more than 4):
  • Space: The New Frontier
  • The Wright brothers
  • The three-day fiesta
  • Renew the spirit, Part 1
  • The last frontier
  • Incredible Journey
  • New Worlds
  • Incredible Journey
  • Renew the Spirit, Part 2
  • A strange animal
  • 9th Birthday party
  • Big Football Match
  • Sailor
  • Betsy Ross flag
  • Oktoberfest in the USA

And here are the premium features from the last year, and while i agree that they are harmful the the game, they kinda keep the game alive:
  • Wright brother's set sale
  • Day of the Dead tombola
  • Christmas tombola
  • Sled Dogs sale
  • Valentine's day tombola
  • Easter tombola
  • American Football sale
  • Independence Day tombola
  • Oktoberfest tombola

If you're interested, here's the link to the public beta, where every update arrives a week before it does here, and you can give your feedback directly to the devs on the beta forums here. We depend on community feedback to make sure the updates are fair and add something of value to the game, as well as to find bugs with the updates before they hit the real servers, players actually influence this more than mods do.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34505

Minimal rewards? Fair statement compared to the massive amounts of exp you can gain from building and duelling (if you choose to duel that way), but this kind of goes against the rest of your admittedly poor argument where you're trying to claim that fort fighting is now the only thing worth doing.

Exactly what I was looking for, a response from one of The West team, and as is pretty typical, its an opinionated response delivered in a condescending tone that disrespects the concerns of a player.
First off, its only an "admittedly poor argument" if I am admitting it, which I am not. You can't admit that my argument is poor. Don't try to do a whole lotta fancy talk if you don't know how to do it, it just doesn't suit you. Next time think about what it is you write Futu.

@lulumcnoob: I didn't realize that there were actually more like 12 new questlines, thanks for pointing that out. That's about the one thing inno has gotten right, although the quests in this game aren't great, it shows some effort. And thanks for proving my point:
  • 12 new country belts!!!!! This is too funny. So 12 more of something no one ever buys or uses. Perfect, just what I need.
@Futu: Yes, minimal rewards. Let's consider: On the server I play, there is a fort fight once every 3 days on average (or so it seems, this is not based on any real research). So I need to skill for something I can do once every three days? And invariably that fort fight is during a time when I am at work or asleep. Now, I understand some players are "dedicated" enough to wake up in the middle of the night, or either don't work or work a job that allows them to play online games, but not me. So I am offline. I have fought fort fights offline. I get 2-3 bonds and a handful of experience, let's say 2500. I lose all my energy and have to wait 8 hours to do anything else.

Duels: don't get me started, dueling has become an enormous joke in this game. If you are level 450 on the server I play, there are maybe 5-6 targets on line at a given time, and that's a high estimate.

Futu, thanks for showing me really what happened, and I'll break it down for the rest of the players:

A few mods (who are the ones that interact directly with the players so the devs don't have to deal with the headaches) don't like certain players, and are irritated that those players' towns are ranked high on some servers. "What can we do about this?" Ask the devs to insert an update that reduces points received by church levels to 100 per level. Devs don't care, this seems like an easy thing for them.

Here is an idea:

Instead of just straight up changing aspects of the game because some mod is annoyed at how the game is written, what about finding a remedy to the fundamental issue with the game: NOT ENOUGH PLAYERS ON EACH SERVER. bold. underline. bright red. verdana font! If you people think that ruining church building will get me to fort fight you are wrong. When a SMALL!!!! cannot fill once in 3 weeks there is a problem.

***Futu, instead of replying to forum posts in an argumentative and condescending tone, maybe work with the devs to find ways to increase populations, increase server activity, increase interest in the game. All that seems to be going on is a money grab by a bunch of greedy devs and a bullying by a bunch of self serving mods.***

In no way are towns being penalised for having a higher level church than others. They're just not being disproportionately rewarded like they were before. There's a huge difference between being penalised and having a reward reduced, so don't twist the facts to suit your argument which in all likelihood you're probably only making because your town dropped on the rankings.

Futu, I just re-read your post, and for real? My town went from +4,000,000 (4 million!) build points to 100,000!! That's 0.025%. You guys reduced my build points by probably more than I can calculate, but its like 4,000% Come on, that's a bit of an overadjustment, no?

I'm trying not to spend as much time replying to your posts as I did with white's. His opinion, though I don't agree with it, was at least presented with some reasonable arguments.

I do appreciate this comment Futu, I am pissed at the moment, but this makes me feel like some thought is going into the replies.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser22685

Exactly what I was looking for, a response from one of The West team, and as is pretty typical, its an opinionated response delivered in a condescending tone that disrespects the concerns of a player.
First off, its only an "admittedly poor argument" if I am admitting it, which I am not. You can't admit that my argument is poor. Don't try to do a whole lotta fancy talk if you don't know how to do it, it just doesn't suit you. Next time think about what it is you write Futu.
My apologies if I appeared condescending or disrespectful; it wasn't my intention. Perhaps my feelings on the matter in general coloured my response to you specifically, but I had intended to merely rebut your arguments with some of my own as I would normally do when replying to a reasonable player. Given this latest reply and the attacks on my character contained within, I no longer care if I appear condescending from here on out.

I agreed with your statement that fort rewards are relatively poor, but pointed out that this is in direct contradiction to the rest of your argument. In attempting to explain how this contradiction may have come about - and given that I've agreed with the opinion to which I was replying - I'm allowed to admit that perhaps the argument being contradicted was a poor one. Think of it as my own internal monologue when trying to make sense of what you'd said. And speaking of being condescending, you don't need to tell me to think before I write. I have nothing left to prove to anybody here, least of all someone who, given what you've just posted, clearly knows nothing about me.

@Futu: Yes, minimal rewards. Let's consider: On the server I play, there is a fort fight once every 3 days on average (or so it seems, this is not based on any real research). So I need to skill for something I can do once every three days? And invariably that fort fight is during a time when I am at work or asleep. Now, I understand some players are "dedicated" enough to wake up in the middle of the night, or either don't work or work a job that allows them to play online games, but not me. So I am offline. I have fought fort fights offline. I get 2-3 bonds and a handful of experience, let's say 2500. I lose all my energy and have to wait 8 hours to do anything else.
I'm not sure what you expect me to say. You seem to have missed the fact that I agreed with you about fort rewards being less than stellar, and in typical fashion the only part of my post that you've actually replied to with a counter-argument rather than a wild accusation is the only part where I was agreeing with you. I don't disagree with anything in the quoted paragraph. If you had bothered reading my post properly instead of picking out a couple of sentences that bothered you and getting angry in response, you would have known that. However, the fact that I agree with this particular point doesn't change a few related facts:

1. You haven't responded to any part of my post where I actually provided a counter-argument rather than agreeing with you.
2. Individual fort rewards are completely irrelevant in terms of what they provide for the team and, more to the point of this update, in terms of town rankings.
3. Town rankings are NOT the only in-game measure of success. You still get the same amount of experience points for building your church. Your church level and town building points will still be the same relative to other towns.
4. If we really want to consider nothing but town rankings, anyone who doesn't think that something needed to change is either ignorant or had a town that was on top of the rankings and would have never been surpassed. The only thing that's changed is that you'll no longer have an unassailable lead over everybody else. Building points now contribute an amount to overall town points that is comparable to the contribution from duel points and fort points. Perhaps building points were nerfed a bit too much, but this is something that's subject to change. If there's overwhelming feedback to this effect, there's a good chance that it'll be tweaked again in the next update. Ideally, if you were really concerned about the development of the game as a whole, you would have presented this feedback in the Beta forum before logging in one day to find that your town had dropped in the rankings and deciding that you couldn't stand for it.

Futu, thanks for showing me really what happened, and I'll break it down for the rest of the players:

A few mods (who are the ones that interact directly with the players so the devs don't have to deal with the headaches) don't like certain players, and are irritated that those players' towns are ranked high on some servers. "What can we do about this?" Ask the devs to insert an update that reduces points received by church levels to 100 per level. Devs don't care, this seems like an easy thing for them.

***Futu, instead of replying to forum posts in an argumentative and condescending tone, maybe work with the devs to find ways to increase populations, increase server activity, increase interest in the game. All that seems to be going on is a money grab by a bunch of greedy devs and a bullying by a bunch of self serving mods.***
This might be the single most ridiculous, far-fetched, misinformed, ignorant accusation I've been on the receiving end of in my many years here, to the point where I'm almost offended by the extent to which you've misjudged not only the situation but my character as well. I'm fully aware that I shouldn't even be dignifying this tripe with a response, but I can't let a statement like this remain in public view without defending myself and the mod team in general.

Here's a few facts that anybody who knows me can attest to. Firstly, I haven't been active in-game in three or more years. I log in once a day to send event currency to my friends and travel to battles to represent my town. The list of things I care about in this game grows smaller every day, and to think that town rankings would be anything slightly resembling a priority for me at this point is laughable.

Secondly, my town was already rank 1 on Colorado before this update, because of - you guessed it - our massive amount of church points. The update actually knocked my town down to second place behind a town with 150k duel points. We moved back into first because we happened to take a fort last night, but the lead is about 2000 points. Certainly less than the lead of several hundred thousand that we had before.

Thirdly, I don't like to think about how many hours I've dedicated to this game. Not to playing it, but to working behind the scenes in an attempt to keep it running smoothly. The number is certainly in the thousands. To insinuate that I have done nothing to try and increase player numbers and world activity spits all over the hard work and frustration that myself and many others have had to endure as we've watched the game we loved descend into a greedy, hollow shell of a Tombola Simulator despite our best efforts to have our voices heard. Again, if you'd actually read my post instead of finding the parts you didn't like and twisting them in order to insult me, you would have realised this. It sounds silly to admit that I get emotional over a game, but those thousands of hours make up a significant part of my life for the last eight years so it's very difficult to watch them now be put to waste, much less to be accused of having done nothing.

Fourthly, the mods are volunteers. We don't get paid, we don't directly influence the developers like you seem to think. In most cases we get hardly more say than any regular player. Anyone who says we're doing this job for some self-serving reason is sadly misinformed. If anything, we're all masochists for having stuck around this long. And I am many things, but a bully is not one of them.

I do appreciate this comment Futu, I am pissed at the moment, but this makes me feel like some thought is going into the replies.
Perhaps if you'd acknowledged this part of my post before typing the rest of yours you'd have saved us both the headache. If you looked at the length of my last post (and this one as well, whoops) and came to the conclusion that no thought had gone into it, I don't know what more I can do.

DeletedUser26820

If a change such as this can be made so flippantly, with no advance notice, what's next ??
It's a legit question and even bigger, a concern.

In 15 days, with no regard to the employees and paying customers letting them know what's changing, the damage dealt from an Outlaw left hand will be 1/2 their current value. Suck it up, troopers, but thanks for playing.

In 25 days, with no regard to the employees and paying customers letting them know what's changing, the value of a fort ownership will be reduced by 3/4 and you won't be able to regen in the barracks. Suck it up, troopers, but thanks for playing.

Oh, and after you invest in this Henry Miller speed set, two weeks after this Tombola ends and even before you can sell it off, we're going to nerf it.

Inno is doing it's best, all by itself, to kill this game. Someone needs to save them from themselves.