using the market ...

DeletedUser

What do these words mean?
Unsalable
Auctionable
I thought they were mutually exclusive, but it seems I'm confused. Can someone clarify these definitions for me?

DeletedUser25632

unsalable is just what you would think. You cannot sell it either on the market or to the mobile trader. An item that is marked Auctionable is an item that will show when you go to the market to sell an item because you're able to sell it on the market or to the mobile trader.

DeletedUser

Really? That's what I thought before ...
AuctionableUnsalable.png

DeletedUser

Oh, and just to be clear, the correct American English term is 'unsellable'. Unsalable means that the item cannot be saved.

DeletedUser25632

Oh, and just to be clear, the correct American English term is 'unsellable'. Unsalable means that the item cannot be saved.
It's a translation error, something that can be taken up with the appropriate people, but something that is not a major concern to the developers. You still get the idea of what it means.

Unsalable simply means you cannot sell it to a store or the mobile trader, auctionable means you can sell it on the market. The two terms have nothing to do with each other.

As for the term, http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/unsaleable

I can nitpick and say the in-game word doesn't have the e and reads unsalable instead of unsaleable.. but again, translation error. ;p

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

It's a translation error, something that can be taken up with the appropriate people, but something that is not a major concern to the developers. You still get the idea of what it means.

I can nitpick and say the in-game word doesn't have the e and reads unsalable instead of unsaleable.. but again, translation error. ;p

It sounds like you know who to refer it to. I'll thank you for forwarding that. :)

Slygoxx

Both spelling options are valid ;)
And, Oxford is located where? I did say American English, but I said that because I saw the term in a game I was playing that is set in the American West - not western UK.

The entire game is translated into a mix of both British and American English, I don't think one word will make a difference there.

DeletedUser22685

Yeah, some time ago all instances of the word "dueler" were changed to "dueller" in accordance with the British spelling of the word, and I believe several other words underwent such changes. However, American English is still present in a few cases ("labor" and "vigor" come to mind). Unsalable is an alternate spelling of unsaleable, and unsellable means the exact same thing, but is probably less common.

The most correct word would probably be "Unsaleable". If you really think it needs changing, feel free to post in the Typos, Bad Translations and Text Errors thread.

Sly has already answered the initial question, so we don't need any more discussion regarding translations in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: