US to 'cut immigration detention'

DeletedUser

BBC News said:
US 'to cut immigrant detention'

US officials are expected to announce plans that would allow illegal immigrants not considered a threat to be taken out of prisons, reports say.

The new policy would list immigrants according to the risk they may pose, the Wall Street Journal reports. Detainees who are not criminals could be kept in hotels and nursing homes, according to leaks of the plans.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano is expected to give details of the plans later. Her department is hoping to cut the costs of detaining immigrants, which stood at almost $2bn (£1.3bn) in 2008.

Health needs

Proposals for using alternatives to prison detention are expected to be submitted to Congress in the coming weeks. Until now, asylum seekers and other detainees who are not criminals or considered a risk have been kept in ordinary prisons.

The Wall Street Journal cited officials as saying the administration would ask the private sector for ideas, including for the construction of model facilities. The paper said the review would also tackle criticisms of the medical treatment given to detainees, and improve access to basic services including telephones.

The US administration will propose a screening system to flag up special medical or mental health needs of detainees, the paper said. Broad immigration reform is one of President Barack Obama's domestic priorities.
Efforts by his predecessor, George W Bush, to reform US immigration laws collapsed in 2007.

What do you think of this article? I think it is great news.

- Less people in prison
- Less people getting medical operation form tax payers
- Less money being needed by the prison system to house them

DeletedUser

What do you think of this article? I think it is great news.

- Less people in prison
- Less people getting medical operation form tax payers
- Less money being needed by the prison system to house them

Probably not less people in prison. Just different people.

A sick person is a sick person, no matter which nationality.

If they're moving the illegal immigrants to hotels, I imagine that would cost a fair bit. As for keeping them in nursing homes, that sounds a little bizarre to me. Here in Canada, it's hard to find nursing home spots for those who truly need them. Would be far harder if some federal department decided to reserve beds for the purpose of housing illegal immigrants.

DeletedUser

Just one problem, they may not of posed a threat when the goverment put them there, but hey, think of how long some of them have been in there, hey I'd be pissed if I were held in some cold prison for years and then told, I'm sorry sir there must be a mistake, you've done nothing wrong, and i'm sorry for the ten years you spent here, and that beating you recived last week, yet again sir i'm so sorry. " Yeah man... they sure as heck ain't going to do anything now, I meen they were only in prison for years kept away from there faimily, and I meen, it's not like they are going to be sent back to the country they came from heck look at the faith ahead

Ilegal immigrants from Cuba, well heck they are going to welcomed home to the police and a death sentence.

Afghan and Iraqi immigrants, bit lower for Iraqis, but guess what, they got a war going on there.

North Korea, who the hell knows what they do.

DeletedUser

Just one problem, they may not of posed a threat when the goverment put them there, but hey, think of how long some of them have been in there, hey I'd be pissed if I were held in some cold prison for years and then told, I'm sorry sir there must be a mistake, you've done nothing wrong, and i'm sorry for the ten years you spent here, and that beating you recived last week, yet again sir i'm so sorry. " Yeah man... they sure as heck ain't going to do anything now, I meen they were only in prison for years kept away from there faimily, and I meen, it's not like they are going to be sent back to the country they came from heck look at the faith ahead

What do you suggest? Keeping them locked up because we fear that they are mad at us for keeping them locked up for no reason?

DeletedUser

What do you suggest? Keeping them locked up because we fear that they are mad at us for keeping them locked up for no reason?
Nothing of the such, we just should make sure they never here bout this, and have them serve the rest of there time, one they out, give em' a home, have a fedreal agent watch and visit them each day, still kinda detained, but beats prison.

DeletedUser

Nothing of the such, we just should make sure they never here bout this, and have them serve the rest of there time, one they out, give em' a home, have a fedreal agent watch and visit them each day, still kinda detained, but beats prison.

Well that sure wouldn't make me angry...:rolleyes:

DeletedUser

I'd rather be visited each day and watched then be sent back to my hellish home land and get killed, or go to prison and risk being killed, yeah I'd be pissed but if a fed was vistin you each day, I don't think youd try anything stupid, Adelei, you got to hand it to me the first post you quoted made sense :)