Upgraded items flop?

DeletedUser15699

Do you think upgraded mustang could give better speed than yuma for the same amount of cash spent?

HelenBack

I didn't really have time to try out upgrading in Beta, but what I saw was that it was buggy.

• Gear is becoming way too powerful... The whole "Free to play, but pay to win" scenario is becoming more and more apparent with each "update"... it's the "Haves" vs the "Have-nots" (or at least the ones that can only spend money on Real Life things and not a game).
  • The upgraded items can't be sold
  • It completely reorganized the Inventory... it's not in order.
  • There is a huge lag when you click on the "Work Clothes" button.
  • Cloth Calc won't even load in Beta... It works fine (so far) in .Net.
  • It's annoying people to the point of wanting to leave the game.

Definitely not well thought out... :hmf:

Also, the update added the Cinema, which wasn't working well in Beta... and doesn't work in .Net. At least I haven't heard from anyone that made it work... It used to work for me in Beta, now it doesn't... and that's the version that wound up on .Net. :rolleyes:

delldell56

Do you think upgraded mustang could give better speed than yuma for the same amount of cash spent?

i guess it would, paired to make full indian set. IF you could upgrade a mustang, of course. BUT YOU CAN'T. you can, however, upgrade a swan...

DeletedUser

This is terrible. For those higher level players who have gobs and gobs of cash, they will just get even more powerful. Sets will be harder to buy off the market because now extras will just be hoarded or sold for ridiculous prices to help fund upgrades.

This game was enjoyable. I love the quests and collecting sets, doing fort battles, but now a certain percentage of people will be unbeatable, sets will be out of reach and as HelenBlack said

"The whole "Free to play, but pay to win" scenario is becoming more and more apparent with each "update"... it's the "Haves" vs the "Have-nots" (or at least the ones that can only spend money on Real Life things and not a game)."

This isn't fun. And it isn't fair. Before someone jumps on me for that last one: this is a game that should be open to everyone without such a heavy, unabashed bias/favoritism towards those who spend real life money on it or favors those who just so happen to have played longer.

One of the worst ideas/updates in a long time.

DeletedUser

As always, it is yet another evil scheme to try to get more money at the expense of the fun of the game. It's sad really. I used to play another game, but in that one, it wasn't some faceless corporation running the game and the guys who DID run the game, made sure that the players were kept happy. Result? The players were more willing to invest real-money IN the game. Adding things en-masse, saying it's an 'improvement' and then sitting back, rubbing your hands in glee, waiting for all the money to start rolling in, has the opposite effect. All the people who would have spent real money HATE the new 'improvement' and refuse to pay any real money.
I'm all for capitalism, but you have to keep your customers happy or you will lose them.

DeletedUser37321

yep, i buy nuggets once in a wile but i hate this upgrading stuff. please put it back the way it was

HelenBack

As always, it is yet another evil scheme to try to get more money at the expense of the fun of the game. It's sad really. I used to play another game, but in that one, it wasn't some faceless corporation running the game and the guys who DID run the game, made sure that the players were kept happy. Result? The players were more willing to invest real-money IN the game. Adding things en-masse, saying it's an 'improvement' and then sitting back, rubbing your hands in glee, waiting for all the money to start rolling in, has the opposite effect. All the people who would have spent real money HATE the new 'improvement' and refuse to pay any real money.
I'm all for capitalism, but you have to keep your customers happy or you will lose them.

Exactly! I used to buy Nuggets fairly regularly to do the Character premium and sometimes the Automation/Income/Energy premiums if I needed them in that world... I'm currently in 12 worlds... Back then, I think I was still in 12 worlds, just different ones. (W1 to W12) I stopped buying Nuggets after they added the ability to buy skills. I haven't purchased them since. That seems to be the turning point when it turned into the "Pay to Win" game. I know a lot of people left the game at that time... I know more left because they didn't have many dueling targets left because they had disappeared... There used to be hundreds of thousands of people playing... Now... a mere shadow of that.

You'd think Inno could open their eyes, look back in time and SEE the difference between now and then. They would have all the numbers regarding how many players there have been and when that changed. I can only tell you that before the ability to buy skills, we had to turn away onliners from LARGE fort battles because we were overfilled with them. Now, in most worlds we are lucky to fill a medium with onliners and offliners. :hmf:

At least W1 has been saved from the skill buying option... I hope it remains that way.
:tumble:

DeletedUser

The main reason I am there Helen :D
Me too. :) I don't like the idea that some rich kid could come on and make himself invincible because he has money to burn.

DeletedUser29786

this new update has really made the playing field unbalanced.

DeletedUser22685

At least W1 has been saved from the skill buying option... I hope it remains that way.
:tumble:

World 1 has no skill buying and it is - and has been for a while - the worst world of all. People quit after that update either because they overreacted or to make a statement against the increased focus on premium-centric updates rather than because skill buying seriously affected game balance. It really didn't.

Personally, I was always wary of the possibility of upgrading items ever since the idea was first tossed around some time ago. I never understood the hype and saw far too many ways for it to potentially go wrong compared to any benefits it could provide. All the same, I'd urge people not to quit or swear off nuggets just a day after the update. There really hasn't been enough time to judge whether the theoretical scenarios will play out in practice.

We've seen on a few occasions in the past that updates can be tweaked after their implementation (ie. the job system post-2.0). That said, we've also seen cases where that has desperately needed to happen and it didn't (ie. duel formula). This is a difficult situation right now as a significant amount of money and items have already changed hands or been absorbed into the game, which makes any tweaking or reverting a very delicate operation.

The only thing I can say is that if the Beta feedback thread looked anything like this one, better use should have been made of the delay to take that feedback into account. I can only hope that this reaction has been as overblown as the one relating to the skill buying system, but even then it won't stop players from quitting if they're feeling melodramatic.

DeletedUser35783

Maybe INNO should have a review of how they gather information regarding changes to the game.
When carrying out a survey it is fairly well accepted to get the best picture you have to ask the right questions to the right people otherwise you end up with biased information.
Also ask yourself what is it I want achieve from this and what could be the hidden consequences of any action taken.

"Melodramatic" quitting can come about not because of one action but the build up of events and when people feel they have little to lose by it. If you have invested time and effort and maybe some money in something and to see it become something you never wanted it to be, "melodramatic" quitting is better than death by a thousand cuts.

DeletedUser20054

You can't buy skills in Colo either - This goes to Helen and Kidd. (*HUGGLES*)

I'm getting a bit fed up with all the rushed updates to be honest. Beta is supposed to be the test server, not .net. We are supposed to get the final version of a well working product here. With such a negative feedback in beta about this update and Inno still went on with it without thinking about it. Of course now it's way too late to fix things, unless you roll back the server to the date this thing was released. So now we have to find a way to fix this mess. This update frustrates not only non nugget munchers, but nugget munchers too. Our guns became a plastic toy overnight, regardless of how long ago we had them. Should we be happy about that? I surely am not. And I repeat. In my opinion, it is a *wonderful* idea. A wonderful idea though that was a) planned poorly, b) executed even more poorly. I think it would be beneficial to all of us if Inno realised that one of the things that frustrates the players the most isn't updates in general. It's mainly poorly planned ones.

Are we being melodramatic here? Could be. But even in that case we are, if you see the amount of players that quit going up day after day, you should sit down and think what's causing this. Melodramatic or not, this is the reality. I know at least 3 +140 people that quit within the last month in Colorado. Shouldn't this give us all some food for thought on why people are quitting?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser36559

I don't know what goes on in the development team but they honestly don't care about player's opinions on any of the new updates and do whatever they can to generate as much revenue as physically possible. I wouldn't be surprised if we had to pay monthly in the future just to play this game.

DeletedUser35520

since it first popped up on beta, i thought it was poorly planned out and rushed just to beat the Easter event in an effort to get people to use up their in game cash and also be forced to buy 3 of each new event set (each resulting in more nugget use). With time, it could have been tweaked and made better, but its here now and actually not that bad. Most of the complaints I have seen are based upon very limited information and fear.

• The items have code to level 999, but they are capped at 5 right now, so what are you worried about?

• These items that surpass Howdah and GT or do great FF damage, cost millions to make and only a very few have done this. As someone who made a FF rifle, my avg damage has gone up 100 per shot for FF's, but I also upgraded my clothing, horses, saddles, DOI, so its not all the rifle and now I have less cash to hoard items! And the cost to upgrade the rifle is about the equivalent to buying 2 of every new item off the market during a tombola event, which is pretty significant.

• You cannot sell items once they have been upgraded, so the cash used is not going back to those players.

• You still get set bonuses no matter if the set items are the same level or not

• Each level gives 10% base stats, which is really nothing major. Go see what adding a few more points into stamina or dodging does for your FF'er when he already has values of 200-400 plus. It helps, but you are not suddenly a superman.

• The players who had 3,9,27,81, 243 or the cash to buy that amount and upgrade those items already had an advantage over you called in game money. It allowed them to buy and horde items and buffs

Further, the very best rifle in my opinion to upgrade is the Outlaw Rifle and its a free gun with a whole lot of work. Play adventures until your eyes bleed and get 3 of those, then 9. With Easter coming up, prices will fall again. Upgrade a hat or scarf (assuming they will be upgradable and auctionable which they are not on beta at the moment). Keep your extras of the new items, etc, but allow yourself sometime for the game to digest this update before you throw in the towel, because the truth is it does not really change all that much about the game.

DeletedUser20054

@ Rick

The fact that even a level 1 Outlaw Rifle is better than most event guns says nothing to you? Isn't this poor planning? Even a normal gun that's upgraded (can't recall the name atm, I'm tired) is better than many event guns! Even the upcoming event gun. If you don't think this is hilarious, what can I say, I rest my case...