Update 2.20

• Thread starter DeletedUser29831
  • Start date

DeletedUser29831

From the announcement, found here: http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=55948
Here is a little more information regarding our new item upgrading feature. Please understand that this feature is still in beta phase and may change during the transition to our EN worlds.

3 identical items can be forged into a level x+1 item. Example: 3 blue bandanas can be forged into one 1-star blue bandana. Three 1-star bandanas can be forged into one 2-star bandana.
Upgrading items costs dollars or nuggets, depending on the price of the item and the level of this item.
Currently you can only upgrade up to level 5 which might be raised at a later stage in a future update.
Only the following bonuses get higher when upgrading items: Skills and attributes, damage and traveling speed. Level-dependent bonus also work.
Upgraded items are sellable but not auctionable. Be careful: The sell prices don't change according to level.
Set bonus stay the same but you can combine items of different levels for the set to work.
Many new achievements have been added plus a couple of hidden ones.
You can either pay with dollars or with nuggets (Note: At the moment you don't have a choice, you always pay with dollars if you have enough and with nuggets if you don't. This will change!)
Filter in the inventory shows all upgradable items (Soon only items that you have at least 2 of will be added)
Search in the inventory was moved to the bottom.
Prices of many items have been adjusted for a better balancing and fairer upgrade prices.
Important: From level 0 to level 1 you always get at least +1 to skill and attribute points. After that you get exactly 10% of the base value with each upgrade. Mathematical rounding applies - Example: A base item with +1 strength and +3 vigor gets upgraded to level 2. The stats now are: +2 strength, +4 vigor. On level 3 you still get +2 strength (1,2) and + 4 vigor (+3,6). This stays the same until level 5, when you will have +2 strength (1,5) and +5 vigor (4,5).

So upgraded gear will not be auctionable. Can someone give a little about the reasoning for that? I was looking forward to earn some cash. :)

DeletedUser35520

yea not having the ability to auction upgraded gear is a poor choice for the players but great for business. Invest millions worth of items just to make a level one then when its obsolete it just becomes clutter in our inventory and you are forced to only use nuggets to buy the new better gear. At least if we could sell it, we could get some of the cost back, plus the item could still be used by another. Instead its inventory clutter, which was mentioned as part of the positive to this update, reduce the inventory mess.

Not everyone has every item and often times they buy what they need for their current play style (duel, FF, jobs) then sell those items to buy the new things they need when their interest changes. The current method is either do not upgrade or start from zero, meaning they will always be playing from behind in one aspect or another.

I think at some point it will be added and the expansion of the upgraded category to the market is the problem, since almost every single item can be upgraded and clearly that concept would be on the back burner behind the actual upgrade system. But I can't help but feel all of this is being rushed out before the next tombola... Could have sat for over a month like adventures to work out kinks, but a few days later and here it is... So sacrifices are being made

DeletedUser34729

i think this feature would be alot better if upgrading items were made through products and not other items.

after level 3 the requirements for lvl 4 and 5 are somewhat ridiculous, the latter needing 243 items to get.

and the bonuses it gives are nowhere near worth the effort required by the player to get.

but with that said the damage increase in weapons is a bit high and should be nerfed, some weapons will easily outclass howdas and GT´s without even fully upgrading them.

the same goes for fort weapons, which will be able to hit well over 1000 from regular hits with a leadership build.

DeletedUser36772

well in my opinion, this is clearly not thought out very well..... obviously those that have MILLIONS of $$ will have a clear advantage over those that do not! i mean, who can afford 3 cullens clothing? Set Clothing is hard enough to come by as it is, from my experience. is this a ploy to rid worlds of poor players?

DeletedUser35520

well in my opinion, this is clearly not thought out very well..... obviously those that have MILLIONS of $$ will have a clear advantage over those that do not! i mean, who can afford 3 cullens clothing? Set Clothing is hard enough to come by as it is, from my experience. is this a ploy to rid worlds of poor players?

as someone who can afford/actually has 3 cullen sets, doolin, deadwood, everyone... I am not doing it. The bonuses are not good enough to justify loosing millions in items that I am then stuck with for so few points. Sure, some will, but they deserve the Ap's and Sp's for loss of in game cash/items for doing it.

As mentioned in the other post, some items can get higher than GT and Howdah, i am fine with that myself. If someone wants to collect/buy 27 james schofields or whatever then they deserve it. maybe it will bring the cost of Gt's and Howdahs back down where they were near 3 years ago. But in doing so just like howdah and Gt, those items have no set bonuses. Taking that into account, I have zero concern with anyone obtaining 27 baker razors. Could it happen, yes, but it would be that one obscure insane player like myself who would do it, maybe one or two per server. I have enough cash to offer one million plus per razor and buy that many, but its not worth it. The system caps itself with poor stat upgrades to avoid really players surpassing the better items. Its far from perfect and I still say rushed in order to suck all of the player cash it can out of the worlds before an event. But to recap, if someone wants to drop 3 sets for a few points or 10-20 mil in game cash to create a level 5 weapon that is better than current special items in damage (but not stats), and are then stuck with it forever (at the moment) then they deserve it. Just really wish they had taken more time with implantation

delldell56

oh no! i recently sold most of my repeated items on all worlds. i could've merged the 9 brown ties i had in my inventory on one particular world, and make it THE almighty brown tie that would rule them all! yep, you heard me, futu. one brown tie to rule them all! (but yeah, i did sell my extras recently, even smaller and more common named items, on all worlds).

DeletedUser

Just as long as they don't mess up the work clothes calculation on the in game job window in the process. Sounds like there were some issues with this initially on beta.

DeletedUser36559

The stat increases are no-where near good enough to justify spending millions on it, you would be better off buying AP's and SP's. Reaching level 5 with 243 items is no-where near feasible and almost impossible to do with certain items (e.g 243 Cullen Rifle's?) the number of items needed to reach level 5 should be atleast reduced. Buying just one full set is expensive enough but after this update market prices will be even more steeper and getting 3-4 sets will be insanely expensive.

DeletedUser

Stats itself will not have big impact overall. Most players will benefit from upgrading Yuma for better speed and possibly some shop weapon for damage (both duel and fort).

DeletedUser33353

Stats itself will not have big impact overall. Most players will benefit from upgrading Yuma for better speed and possibly some shop weapon for damage (both duel and fort).

You have been stealing my thoughts :)
I have a stable of yuma's to make a super speedy horse, the only thing I can see being worthwhile imo. The weapons and gear would be nice, but I will take a wait and see attitude over it.

DeletedUser

Is it confirmed that you can upgrade the Yuma? What would that mean exactly? Would 3 Yuma's give you 10% more speed (like 235) or 10% more speed (like 250) for example?

DeletedUser35352

Is it confirmed that you can upgrade the Yuma? What would that mean exactly? Would 3 Yuma's give you 10% more speed (like 235) or 10% more speed (like 250) for example?

at least that is what you can do on beta. level 3 yuma - 293% speed

DeletedUser

at least that is what you can do on beta. level 3 yuma - 293% speed

Cool, ok, good news.

Next clarification please:

Stats on the Deadwood hat are (for example): Stamina=+0.1 per level, Dodging=+0.2 per level.

Combining 3 hats from level 0 to level 1 should give +10% right?

So would the base stat change to: Stamina=+0.11 per level and Dodge=+0.22 per level?

Just trying to value this...

If what I wrote above is true, that means that currently at level 147, what is +15 Stamina and +30 Dodging will become +16 Stamina and +32 Dodging?

And assuming I already have the 3 hats (so no cost to acquire) what will it cost in in-game cash to do the upgrading?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

If what I wrote above is true, that means that currently at level 147, what is +15 Stamina and +30 Dodging will become +16 Stamina and +32 Dodging?

And assuming I already have the 3 hats (so no cost to acquire) what will it cost in in-game cash to do the upgrading?

Thanks!

for upgrading, yes.
as for costs, so far level 1 items upgrade costs same as buy price of item. so for Yuma, it's 18500$ upgrade cost.

DeletedUser8627

Congratulations! You have managed to delay this feature and will not come with the version 2.20 update! (http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?p=735096#post735096)

I don't mean that in a bad way ;)

Thank you once again for the provided feedback, devs have been closely looking at the community feedback since it's been announced on our forums. Some very good points have been brought up and I must agree, a little more time needs to be placed into this feature before it is released.

The major concerns so far:

• Low-level items are often too expensive to upgrade
  • Low-level items often don’t become better when upgrading over a couple of levels
  • Some very rare items would lose their standings because upgraded normal items are way stronger
Obviously with some of the rarer items, we will need to be careful on how it's done since normal upgraded items will basically make them obsolete.

To those who are playing on public beta, please post your feedback here as well. We would really like to hear from those who have had hands on experience with this feature.

DeletedUser

Delaying this part of the upgrade is a good idea IMO. This will shake things up quite significantly such that the only thing which worried me was the speed with which it was being introduced after having been in beta for a relatively short time. Good that extra thought is going into it.

An explicit list of what is NOT upgradeable would be useful...

DeletedUser35520

delaying it is good, saying it will be on .NET in a few days then delaying it is just, well odd. The exact same things being said here were all mentioned on beta, so I'm not sure how it would result in a change of heart. I am glad as there are lots of issues to work out, just seems like there is more to it. Regardless, hope they take the suggestions into consideration and adjust quickly. Lots of us may have not liked each and every aspect of the system, but we were looking forward to it.

DeletedUser35533

Congratulations! You have managed to delay this feature and will not come with the version 2.20 update! (http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?p=735096#post735096)

I don't mean that in a bad way ;)

Thank you once again for the provided feedback, devs have been closely looking at the community feedback since it's been announced on our forums. Some very good points have been brought up and I must agree, a little more time needs to be placed into this feature before it is released.

The major concerns so far:

• Low-level items are often too expensive to upgrade
  • Low-level items often don’t become better when upgrading over a couple of levels
  • Some very rare items would lose their standings because upgraded normal items are way stronger
Obviously with some of the rarer items, we will need to be careful on how it's done since normal upgraded items will basically make them obsolete.

To those who are playing on public beta, please post your feedback here as well. We would really like to hear from those who have had hands on experience with this feature.
is only the upgrading delayed ? I recall reading that common shop item prices would be changed to make upgrading less expensive. is that delayed or will we get it before the upgrading?

Last edited by a moderator: