Unfair: The Melee Dueler

DeletedUser

I in no way advocated a pure dueler. That assumes there is a pure dueler build that everyone agrees on. There arent.

Putting points in green skills. Both can do this. It offers no advantage to either side. But for the statement that there are alot of good jobs is just a lie. Either that or the person is purposefully ignorant. Yes it is valid that there are a few jobs that some dont consider, but, I have already considered those. In any case it is better for people to put their attribute points into blue because it gives more well paying jobs. This favors the ranged duler.

As for jobs. There are MASSIVE misconceptions. Just because jobs give an advantage to one area does not that another build will compensate by giving an advantage in another. To make my point. The ranged dueler gets more good jobs in money, experience, and luck -- and they get these advantages both earlier in the game and later in the game. That is just plain FACT. Go look at the jobs objectively if you dont believe me. Also there are other imbalances.

Take the Trapper. It is supposed to be the best gainer in money given it is in the adventurer line. This is true. The trapper line has more well paying jobs then any other straight build. The misconception comes into play when one considers it also gets the most experience and the best luck jobs as well. And they get them ALL sooner and much faster than any other build. To compound that fact they also get better guns since they get access to all the early high luck jobs sooner than anyone else. To make it even worse they can mix in leadership after 30 levels and start getting access to practically every high level job in the game and they get it much earlier than anyone else. Those goes against the idea that the trader is supposed to be the money maker that the dueler is supposed to be the firepower and the builder the experience maker. As the trapper line does it all and does it better then all the rest.

Now I am not advocating a nerf. I think that is the worst thing a gaming company can do. Plus...it only shows their laziness. The right thing to do is even out the imbalances by adding new jobs that address the issues that are raised.

There are the facts. Now spout a 6 word sentence in response and tell me I am all wrong.

Yogi-

One Armed Ninja

One thing that melee duelers have over ranged though is Hernando's sword (when we work out how to get it)

Find me a better weapon (and its got quite a low level requirement)

DeletedUser

you have to do one of the 90+ luck jobs i believe...and we get none of those.

DeletedUser

lets live to see that :) im pretty sure going from level 85 to 86 will take a lot of time, and i think it would be easier to rearrange skills temporaly for gaining that sword and then rearrange them back :) and im positive that it all fits in one level basis :)

One Armed Ninja

you have to do one of the 90+ luck jobs i believe...and we get none of those.

You get it from doing a secret quest involving the 3 parts of the note

You can get part one from trading with indians or transport ammo

Part 3 is still a mystery but ive heard some rumour

DeletedUser363

Sorry about posting on a 2 month old thread, but I am really annoyed with this issue. On W3 (where I am a melee dueler) I have just reached Level 38. I looked at the job calculator to see where I should put my skill points. Well, guess what? It seems like I have unlocked all of the jobs that require vigor (except for Bounty Hunter, and Steering a Paddle Streamer.

How is it that the shooting duelers get so many better jobs. I mean how do the developers expect us melee duelers to actually earn good experience? Soon my firearm duelers will be able to do jobs like Charlatan, Mercenary Work, Serving in the Army, and many other great jobs, while my melee dueler gets stuck with the same old crappy jobs. The shooting duelers get jobs with Great Money, Great Experience, Great Luck. The only thing the vigor duelers get is Great Money (from Silver Mining and Clearing the Forest) There is an obvious imbalance between the shooting and vigor jobs. More good jobs are needed that require vigor. I thought that these jobs would come out in an update already, but obviously the developers didn't even think of this. It seems like they don't even know that melee duelers exist.

DeletedUser

Having read this discussion on the German forums - I can tell you the replies from the Developers were something along this line of thought:

Melee has better high money jobs and Firearms has better XP/Luck jobs, so it's balanced in their eyes.

Personally I agree that Red skill jobs need more high Luck jobs but I ain't in charge !

I'd love to see another round of new jobs with an update - SOON - rectifying this problem.

DeletedUser

it's balanced in their eyes.
Let me guess: none of them actually play a melee char.

This is sooooo reminiscent of Diablo II's barbarian system. Barbs can specialize in 6 different classes of weapons, and there's no evident distinction among them when you start out as to which one is superior, so it looks like a "which of these classes of weapons will I look coolest carrying around?" kind of deal. Well, after you get far into the game, you start to notice that probably about half of the unique barb weapons you encounter are swords. Argh.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Having read this discussion on the German forums - I can tell you the replies from the Developers were something along this line of thought:

Melee has better high money jobs and Firearms has better XP/Luck jobs, so it's balanced in their eyes.

Personally I agree that Red skill jobs need more high Luck jobs but I ain't in charge !

I'd love to see another round of new jobs with an update - SOON - rectifying this problem.

I agree it is balanced, yes you may never find a unique weapon but you can have all the equipment you want whilst the ranged dueler is still awaiting a fancy find.

Let me guess: none of them actually play a melee char.

This is sooooo reminiscent of Diablo II's barbarian system. Barbs can specialize in 6 different classes of weapons, and there's no evident distinction among them when you start out as to which one is superior, so it looks like a "which of these classes of weapons will I look coolest carrying around?" kind of deal. Well, after you get far into the game, you start to notice that probably about half of the unique barb weapons you encounter are swords. Argh.

Lol I always went axe/sword split for that reason, although Double Swing FTW :D

DeletedUser363

I agree it is balanced, yes you may never find a unique weapon but you can have all the equipment you want whilst the ranged dueler is still awaiting a fancy find.

Its not balanced!!! Whats the point of buying all that equipment, if you can't do any good jobs. The highest exp. jobs people with vigor can do is 42% (Picking Agaves). The people with skills in shooting can do about 10 jobs with more than 59% exp. So, while the melee duelers are stuck doing their crappy jobs, the shooting duelers will be unlocking jobs like Mercenary Work (92% money, which is higher than Silver Mining), Serving in the Army (76% exp, which is higher than picking agaves), and jobs like Charlatan and Selling Guns to Indians ( more than 50% luck). You call this balanced??

DeletedUser

^^^ Not entirely true ... a pure melee person can do Building a RR Station at fairly early on with some +Construction gear which is 47% XP.

Also once you get to L 50+ ... you can do Evangelizing 61% (assuming you go high Appearance) and should be able to do Hunting Buffalo 62%, Exploration 45% and possibly Hunting Coyote and Hunting Wolves depending on gear.

A melee person you can't just stick all your Attribute points into Strength and Vigor... that just doesn't work.

As a melee person you can get Hernandos Sword at L 57 while Firearms don't come close to having a similar weapon until L 78... trust me that thing hurts.

High Str Melee's will also have more Health Points which is handy if you're an active dueler.

Bottom line is the devs think its balanced and nobody is forcing anyone to be Melee or Firearms ... if you think the grass is greener on the other side ... go for it.

DeletedUser

my melee dueler got 2 60% xp jobs (constructing ranch houses and evangelizing), almost 3 60% luck jobs (transport ammo and a few labor pts from firefighter aswell as trading with indians) and 2 60%+ money jobs.

DeletedUser363

I know, my melee dueler has some pretty good exp jobs too and 2 luck jobs (transporting ammo and trading with indians), but still not as many as my firearm duelers.