Unfair Dueling

DeletedUser

ok there r 20 pgs so reading them will def kill me so...

1) for those who think dueling(pancaking) is unfair, i think there's a thread in the forums so go there to post your unhappiness. same goes for those who think duelers are at the top of the food chain or got an unfair advantage.

2)for those who keep getting hit you should start supporting the town guard idea brought out somewhere in the forums.

3)those who keep getting dueled by the same person over and over go get your town members to fight back. if you dont have any either A: get more members or B: quit the town.

4)just for the record, i duel for xp, not for money course i do carving out claims for money.

DeletedUser

ok i have just spent half an hour reading through this forum and am ready to blow my lid.

There have been some very good ideas proposed here, namely that duels should occur at the players location (which i believe the Devs are going to implement - read the proposed changes).

I also agree with the idea that soldier classes should be able to guard the town / fellow members, however this can't be done like a guardian angel as that would be too easy, instead i believe that it should be a job, in the same way as you have the job guarding the fort you could, if you are a soldier have the option of guarding the town, or guarding the mine/ wagon/ job site - which would mean that anyone trying to duel a player in that location would fight the soldier instead.
This would potentially stop duelers loitering at job sites such as carving out claims waiting for vulnerable players to arrive at a good playing job to duel.

i also agree with Ulthor that it is a bad translation and wish people would stop getting hung up on it.

However those among us, and i won't name names, who want to get rid of the dueling system because they lost there money need to stop being so pathetic.

If your aren't in a town then you CANT be dueled.
If you are in a town then you shouldn't be carrying so much money on you that you lose a serious amount - if you are then thats you loss, you will learn in future not to so foolish.
If your town bank isn't big enough to hold all you money then spend the excess on UPGRADING it so it can.

if you are being constantly dueled by some one then appeal to the larger members of your town to get some revenge and push them off, if no-one in your town is strong enough to do that then either put up with it or get in some outside help - form allainces with larger towns or merge into larger towns.
Duelers who are harrasing you will never be that much bigger because of the rule allready in place that says if either side can't gain experience from winning then you can't duel.

Duelers who make there living from dueling, in my experience, rarely spend a long time in the same place as it isn't profitable - once you have taken someones money there is no point in dueling them again.
Therefore if you are being dueled by the same person constantly you might want to consider what you have done to piss them off so much that they are foregoing making any profit to duel you, and once you have worked out what it is then you might want to do something about it.

Duelers only take a 3rd of your money and so providing you don't keep vast sums on you then you wont lose more money than you can make in one job.

Get over it!!!!!!!

grr. rant over now can we please return to the productive process of discussing how to implement changes that are actually needed.

DeletedUser

First off; There has already been suggested a guard the town job, and it made it past the vote to boot.

Other than that, I have no other comments to your post, I heartfuly agree that the whiners should shut their mouth.

DeletedUser

I agree there should be some form of randomness or limitation to dueling offline characters. Look at it this was someone joins the game and before they even get good and set up start being attacked multiple times a day while offline they are going to quit and not recommend others to try the game. Now if there is something to stem such attacks and those same newcommers have a chance to advance as others have they will enjoy the game and bring others in further expanding The West. With expansion brings more Premium Players and more interaction in game.

But hey this is just my viewpoint obviosly there are others but IMO the only ones who would oppose such ideas are the ones proffiting from attacking offline players and would lose the easy income.

DeletedUser7880

I duel for money, and only money...that is the way to advance in this game...If you can't be active enough to que up sleeps when your not playing, than I guess you should not be playing the game...Or,,,,, you can always quit your town and then nobody can touch you. This is not rocket science.

img.php

DeletedUser

nothing will change because there are more people on this game that wants to duel then to just build and just be left alone. this world (not the game) has to many people that has more fun in having violence than raised with moral values to work get payed and provide for family, friends and neighborhood. if your real active than anything but dueling would get old and boring.
not saying anything against that. i just dont like it when you set all your skills to duel and then instead of fighting someone that could give you a challenge you go duel all the builders that you know for sure that has no fighting skills set at all so you know you cant lose. or the other thing i see is you go duel at all the towns that has no mortician so you know they cant duel you back either. would you walk up to someone in a coma in a hospital and beat him up and steal his money. or a handicap person. to me its the same thing its being a bully.

DeletedUser

Whine whien whine.

Call it what you want.
I do not need your consent to beat you up, and rob you blind.

DeletedUser

No offense, John, but you seem to be one of the bigger whiners on here. Almost every response you complain that non-fighters should break class and be fighters of quit whining, yet you seem extremely hostile towards the idea of fighters breaking class and becoming non-fighters.

This game was designed to appeal to people who want more than a billionth combat webgame. Combat was added to appeal to those who like to fight, and the non-fighter classes to those who do not. If someone chooses to break class and duel, then that's fine. However, to throw a fit because others suggest balancing a system where one class (and to a lesser extent a second class) essentially control the game instead of coming up with constructive ideas to bringthat needed balance without making the fighter classes obsolete only supports your opposition's opinion that the only ones who want this major game flaw to remain are the ones who profit from it.

If you want a game that's all fighting, try Crimson Moon or some any of a dozen clones. If you want a game that caters to more than just fighters, then please feel free to step up and participate constructively at any time. Hearing ideas from all sides is what will ensure that no class is more powerful overall than the rest.

DeletedUser

Ashki, just wondering, how many threads are you going to post in complaining about the same thing?

If you don't like the game so much then leave. Sick of hearing how you are sick of being dueled when the game allows it and it is clearly not hidden from players that dueling is a part of the game. It's called The West. What do you think happened there? Do you think it was a social club where everyone got together and built barns and sang campfire songs all day? No. It was a brutal place where anything could happen at anytime and no one was safe from violence. That was the reality of The West and that is the reality of this game.

Quit whining and come up with ideas on how to change it that don't involve banning classes from doing their chosen profession or banning classes altogether.

If you want a game that involves no fighting try The Sims. We aren't hearing ideas from you, we are hearing you cry how unfair everything is.

If you come up with a good, well thought out plan that deals with specifically how to change the game without making it unfair to any class then I'm sure people will listen and consider your ideas. Simply moaning about things gets nothing done but make most people not even pay attention to you, like the boy who cried wolf.

I say if it really bothers you that badly and you don't want to leave the game then put your money where your mouth is and suggest a premium feature that allows you to use a nugget to decline a duel.

Galt, love your post. You made excellent points that sums up the situation nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Are you reading what I type or just blindly trying to come up with insults?

I'm all for duelling. I feel it's a major part of the game. If I didn't, I wouldn't be sitting here putting up with all the kids who just want to attack everyone who's trying to help solve the balancing issue. I've thrown out plenty of ideas, all of which had negative responses (and some positive). And then you have certain individuals who basically say "if you're not a fighter, then shut up" every chance they get.

The response you jut gave to me has no merit towards the issue at hand. I post to numerous threads on this topic because not everyone reads the same thread. If there are certain individuals who feel they have to chase my heels throughout every thread nipping away like a scotch terrier, then that's on them.

I'm trying to find a solution. Granted, most of the other people have given up from all the trolling going on, but I happen to enjoy this game and want to be able to recommend it to friends who refuse to play games that focus solely on combat. The West has so much potential that's being lost because a few poeple found they could abuse a flaw in the system. Along come people like myself who want to fix the flaw and we're accused of being "carebears" and complaining about there being combat when our whole point is we WANT duelling, but we want a system that's balanced so as to attract more players.

Finding excuses to keep a system imbalanced is pretty sad. Not everyone's 15 and on all day long. Not everyone wants to fight. Not everyone duels for the same reasons. This game has a large demographic, and that needs to be accepted. And a solution still needs found to improve the duelling system.

DeletedUser

Are you reading what I type or just blindly trying to come up with insults?

I'm all for duelling. I feel it's a major part of the game. If I didn't, I wouldn't be sitting here putting up with all the kids who just want to attack everyone who's trying to help solve the balancing issue. I've thrown out plenty of ideas, all of which had negative responses (and some positive). And then you have certain individuals who basically say "if you're not a fighter, then shut up" every chance they get.

The response you jut gave to me has no merit towards the issue at hand. I post to numerous threads on this topic because not everyone reads the same thread. If there are certain individuals who feel they have to chase my heels throughout every thread nipping away like a scotch terrier, then that's on them.

I'm trying to find a solution. Granted, most of the other people have given up from all the trolling going on, but I happen to enjoy this game and want to be able to recommend it to friends who refuse to play games that focus solely on combat. The West has so much potential that's being lost because a few poeple found they could abuse a flaw in the system. Along come people like myself who want to fix the flaw and we're accused of being "carebears" and complaining about there being combat when our whole point is we WANT duelling, but we want a system that's balanced so as to attract more players.

Finding excuses to keep a system imbalanced is pretty sad. Not everyone's 15 and on all day long. Not everyone wants to fight. Not everyone duels for the same reasons. This game has a large demographic, and that needs to be accepted. And a solution still needs found to improve the duelling system.

The current dueling system is fairly balanced, with a slight edge to the duelers, that's it.

Soldiers probably enjoy the biggest advantage during dueling, given the same experience level and assume no equipment restriction as soldiers only need to spend little on tactic and still enjoy the same benefit (50% tactic bonus), they get to use better weapon 3 levels early (all these are assuming no premium advantage), they enjoy extra HP per health point = pumping up healthpoint helps soldier even more to last longer in high level dueling.

Duelers enjoy a lot of advantage, duel whomever they want in town that is not asleep or killed recently.

The problem for duelers do not manifest themselves until probably level 40-60 range.

Dueler's income is more erratic, as they gain duel level and neglect their exp level, their skill point total will fall further behind workers who focus on exp level = more skill points.

Duel is all about skill points + equipment you use. Better weapons deal more damage resulting in more deadly duels in high level.

It sucks being a worker and being dueled, but there are ways to avoid that, look at W1 high level exp players, some chose to stay townless. If you die, you get 48 hours of "can't be dueled" time, use that time wisely.

As workers level up, they can gradually outduel some of those duelers who used to grief them because they have more exp level = more skill points. They probably also have better equipment than some of those crappy duelers who can't afford better equipment.

Dueling is more like lottery, actually, stock market. It's a gamble and smart duelers reign supreme over workers.

Workers endure death, lower exp + cash initially but as you start to hit those 60% exp, cash jobs, the gap between dueler and worker's daily income start to narrow and eventually, workers may surpass duelers (that's my experience in W1 when I talk to various top ranked worker & duelers).

High dueling level duelers have less targets. Workers tend to have very low dueling level in comparison to their exp level.

Workers who endure the short & intermediate period of pain, build up, then switch to dueling can do quite well.

The #1 exp player in W1 caused a lot of drama as far as I know.

The #2 exp player in W1 happen to be the leader of a huge huge family of towns, supposedly 30 towns joined that "empire". I was told he ordered all the duelers in the empire to knock out the #1 exp player, Holysatan, because Holysatan rely on both job + duel to gain exp to stay ahead of #2 player, Midgrin, leader of the very definition of "family" towns. If Holysatan cannot duel, that'll slow Holysatan down more, giving Midgrin a chance to catch up.

Alas, most of the duelers he sent against Holysatan seem to add exp to holysatan instead. One of the few duelers who actually defeated Holysatan recently left due to another internal..."implosion" (search W1 forum for MadAlice & Midgrin drama, it was quite colorful)