Uk hit by worst snow for 18 years! Your views!

• Thread starter DeletedUser3717
  • Start date

DeletedUser3717

UK hit by worst snow for 18 years

UK hit by worst snow for 18 years
12F63B1ED0C39051C1785D6B5D24C.jpg

pa.press.net

Thousands of people were left stranded as the heaviest snowfall to hit the UK in 18 years swept across the country, causing travel chaos and closing thousands of schools.

Air, rail and road services were all severely disrupted as Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the authorities were doing "everything in our power" to ensure the resumption of key transport links.

An army of snow ploughs and gritters were working round-the-clock to clear roads as much of the UK was blanketed in snow.

Major airports closed runways and all British Airways flights from Heathrow Airport were cancelled until 5pm, as were all bus services in London and dozens of trains during the morning rush hour.

On the London Underground, 10 of the 11 lines were either completely or partly suspended as the "quantity of snowfall" disrupted services, a Transport for London spokesman said
Motorists, who were warned only to make essential journeys, were caught in tailbacks of more than 50 miles and queues of up to two-and-a-half hours as they battled against the heavy snow across the country.
And more snow is on the way. Helen Chivers, a forecaster with the Met Office, said a large area of sleet and snow showers was moving out of France on its way to the UK.

There were 11cm of snow at Heathrow Airport, 25cm over the North Downs in Kent and Surrey, 8cm along the eastern side of the Pennines and 1cm across the Welsh border.

More than a thousand primary and secondary schools were forced to shut their doors due to the adverse weather conditions. Schools in southern England were among the worst affected.

At Heathrow Airport, a Cyprus Airways flight, CY 332, from Larnaca strayed onto a grassed area while taxiing to the terminal building after landing shortly after 8.30am. None of the passengers were injured.

What are your views? Does it affect you?

DeletedUser

The snow was rather deep in london... almost a foot in my garden!

DeletedUser

It was good, deepest I've seen in my lifetime. Pity I wasn't a few years younger I would enjoy it more. I just stayed in (trains were cancelled for me), went on the PC for a bit and did some coursework.

Anyway things aren't meant to improve over night, it will get worse, in fact. I probably wont go college tomorrow either. Because it's been snowing all day and night and will continue to do so. So 4 day weekend FTW.

DeletedUser

I know that heavy snow is a lot worse for people who aren't used to having it, so you have my sympathies. On the other hand, I'm rather glad it's you who had the heaviest snowfall in 18 years rather than us!

A short description of our weather 18 years ago - A major early-season snowstorm struck northeastern Minnesota and northwestern Wisconsin from late on Halloween, 1991, into the early morning of November 2. The storm dumped 15 (38.1 cm) to 36.9 inches (93.7 cm) of snow, with the highest totals falling along the Wisconsin-Minnesota border. Snowfall rates occasionally ranged from 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5 cm) per hour. Strong northwest winds created 6 to 10 foot (182.9 to 304.8 cm) drifts. The storm closed schools, businesses, and transportation systems- some for several days.

Everything is relative.

DeletedUser

People I know in UK love snow because it is so rare, and always hyped up (white Christmas etc.).

People I know in USA hate snow, because it is regular occurrence, a;ways very heavy and it just inconveniences their lives.

I guess it depends how much you get it.

DeletedUser

Heh, today's my day off so I hadn't looked outside yet, went to get a takeaway, and went "where the heck has all this come from?" when I opened the door.

About 5" so far here in the Midlands with more expected in the next few hours, and the weather reports say we should get about the same amount on Wednesday with little melting in between. Still at least all my cider that I store outside is lovely and cold.

DeletedUser

God Bless Global Wierding....... Get used to it kiddies. The Pacific Northwest Got hit by one of the hardest winters on record, the Kentucky Ice Storm problems...... Catastrophic weather (especially extreme heats in Summer [see what the Aussies are suffering through right now] and Colds in Winter) Not to mention Hurricanes and tornadoes in higher frequency and strength. Human beings ignored the effect they had on their Environment for way too long and are reaping the rewards. Let's hope we recover from our species wide head in the sand syndrome before we destroy ourselves entirely (then again we've always been slow learners......................

DeletedUser

It snowed again today. Two 4 day weekends in a row.

Must be 6" deep, here's pics of how bad it was down my street.

Attachments

• DSC00082.jpg
    DSC00082.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00083.jpg
    DSC00083.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 8

DeletedUser

It snowed again today. Two 4 day weekends in a row.

Must be 6" deep, here's pics of how bad it was down my street.

Hmm. A couple of weeks ago, I had scrub fires five minutes from my house and helicopters water bombing all day. My imagination of what it is like over there right now is limited. To me... It just looks picturesque. :eek:

DeletedUser

Ah, you must be American.

Nah, I'm from your side of the atlantic; Norway.

I do understand the trouble and chaos a large amount of unexpected snow can cause though, so I sympathize with you.

On the bright side though, it is an excellent opportunity for children to experience snow :)

DeletedUser

'Tis fun having snow, untill it takes you 4 times as long to get work :mad:

Its not too bad, a couple of inches at most, but that said it's still going quite heavy

DeletedUser

It's only the second time my son (5.5) has experienced snow deeper than 1cm (it did snow here in Oxford when he was a baby, plus I took him to Pennsylvania when it was several feet deep, but he was under a year old so he'll have no memory of that).

Snow days are fun if you don't have any reason to go out of the house otherwise. But I've just run out of coffee so it could get much less pleasant from here on in...

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
I think people are catching on to our secret week-off, in particular the extreme parents.

Soon enough they'll be wondering where all the cake went.

Edit: No snow here anymore, but no school either.

DeletedUser

Omg omg global cooling is happening call al gore call msnbc we must stop it!!!!!!

DeletedUser5046

gee,,,te wordt te snow there te hottest it is here and other part of te world...