TheWest App for smart phones

• Thread starter DeletedUser17143
  • Start date

DeletedUser17143

Proposal
Innogames to work on an app for androids and iPhones to allow users to play the game away from the computer.

Current Workaround
For me personally on an iPhone I can use it via the Safari Web Browser, but it can be really slow and just generally not very fun to use. I'm not sure how it currently functions on androids, but I can't see it being better.

Details
It is already possible to get an Innogames app for Tribal Wars, but not for The West. I think Inno should work on making one as you need to check your account so often to make sure that your character is working and doing well that it can become very time consuming to have to sit at a computer the whole time. Being able to check my The West profiles whilst I'm on the train or whatever would be nice as myself and others who choose to use it would not need to log in on a computer nearly as much. Not to mention many players will be able to play all the time so in theory the number of active users should increase. My proposal is that it should work exactly like it does on a computer. It can already do this on the web browser for iPhones, I haven't yet found any functions that do not work. It is only a problem when doing things like trying to zoom in on the screen and when notification banners come up it can lag a little. Having a specially designed app would stop this.

Some of the benefits of having an app for The West are:

- push notifications when jobs are completed or when anything of significance happens, such as being duelled or outcomes of fort fighting.
- app store customers who usually would not find such games would become aware of the game, this increasing the numbers of players.
- more players could be online during fort fights.
- the main benefit of not having to be on a computer to access the game.

Abuse Prevention
I can't think of any.

Visual Aids
None yet. Feel free to make some mock ups on your own. It may take me a while as I'm very busy at the present moment.

Summary
The number of active users would go up as it would be more easily accessible to players. It would also reach a whole new market who may otherwise not have come across the game. As for the players, being able to log in wherever you are would be nice, wouldn't it?

Administration
Does this idea meet the Ideas Guidelines & Criteria? Yes
Does this idea appear on any of the Previously Suggested Ideas List? Yes

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser563

This is pretty much the same as every put The West on IPhone idea I have ever read. I'm afraid its a NO from me.

Ps your totally wrong about it having never been suggested. :D

Searching ideas for words within posts and Iphone I got 14 results 8 of which looks like similar ideas to your idea. Next time do not be so lazy and rather reply to one of the dead threads you like.

DeletedUser17143

Well nothing came up when I searched it so I figured no one had suggested it. But I'm sure of there is a problem one of the mods will get rid of this thread. But thanks for your concern.

DeletedUser563

anyway do you have stats available on the popularity of the mobile device you are trying to promote in this manner. In effect how many "the west "user actually uses Iphone. Last I heard the new samsung that came out this week pretty much kick iphones :donkey:. My point being that unless there is a real demand I do not think we should waste the developers resources on a mobile device that do not support standardized use of web browsers etc. I can load the west on my old nokia but you dont hear me complaining about not being able to play the game on it , do you? Anyway just looking I found it on the previously suggested ideas.

Please close this thread I do not see additional motivation from the OP.

DeletedUser17143

Well this discussion isn't about the different brands of phones so I'll try to keep it on topic. I suggested the iPhone because the iPhone app store grosses more money than any of the other app stores. Also, if an app is made for the west then it would be available on all platforms.

Deleted User - 1278415

Well as it isnt in the roadmap I would still stay away from this topic. Unfortunatly this isnt a minor/major idea... its an overwhelming task that the Devs who we may think live in a cave somwhere should see how popular cell phones are.

If you truly want to play on your phone then do a remote desktop session to your home computer from your iphone and see what you can do that way.

I think Inno is really missing out on a good chunk of the market in the cell phone business. Espically since the west game isnt 3D graphics intense or processor heavy.

Maybe a mod could ask what the future of cell phone likelyhood is... but to discuss an idea of this magnitude wont be productive in my eyes... if I were still runnning I&B

DeletedUser

I use my apad to play the-west.
Yeah it´s slower than on a computer, but i can play it very good.
But im not using apple things that don´t like other supports working with them... things like java or flash.

DeletedUser563

Market research need to be done on this idea before it can be implemented. Therefore I would suggest changing this idea to idea create survey to determine popularity of IPhone and desirability of creating platform specific app for it:

Survey would be as follow:
Part 1:Iphone Ownership
1.I Own a Iphone
2 I plan to buy an Iphone in the near future.
3. I do not own an Iphone and will not buy one in the near future.

[In case you selected 1 or 2 part 2 would be visible to you otherwise not.]

part 2: Desirability of platform specific app for IPhone:
1. I would like to play the west on IPhone
2. I do not want to play the west on Iphone
3. I am neutral and do not care whether I can play the west on IPhone or not.

Survey to be conducted on all servers using the in game survey tool.

The reason why I suggest this if IPhone is as popular as you claim and a lot of players do have IPhones one could atleast speculate that creating a specific app on the IStore for the west could draw more players.

DeletedUser17143

I tried to change the title but it wouldn't take for some reason. But basically I think it should be bigger than just iPhone. It should be an app for all android/smart phones. In reply to the other comments, the game also works on my iPhone and iPad, but it's a litre laggy. It's bearable, but a little annoying. A custom made app would make it a lot easier not to mention far more people would have access to it because it would be featured on the various app stores for all platforms. More players would be great, you have to admit.

DeletedUser

I tried to change the title but it wouldn't take for some reason.

Report your first post to get the title changed. Only mods can change thread titles, all anyone else can change is the title of their post.

Deleted User - 1278415

I tried to change the title but it wouldn't take for some reason. But basically I think it should be bigger than just iPhone. It should be an app for all android/smart phones. In reply to the other comments, the game also works on my iPhone and iPad, but it's a litre laggy. It's bearable, but a little annoying. A custom made app would make it a lot easier not to mention far more people would have access to it because it would be featured on the various app stores for all platforms. More players would be great, you have to admit.

also change your proposal as it reads currently only for iphone app store. Sounds like you need to revamp your idea.

I dont own an iphone and dont plan on owning one anytime soon. I do use a droid... so I would be more inclined to play on that platform.

So what do you want the app to do? Do you want to have the same game aspect that you play with now. Or do you just want a menu based app that gives you limited options that correspond to the game?

Shall this game include dueling, fort fighting, roaming from town to town.

You mentioned tribal wars but Im not familar with that iphone app to know about it. I only know of the web broswer version... not phone version.

If the mods are going to allow this idea to fester, even though it is on the "do not discuss list" then I'd like to know more about what you propose as a full idea on this concept. Visual aids could be helpful when you are not so busy.

Yes I do believe this would allow me to play more often but I really feel it could only be setup in a limited capacity. Once you start downloading clothes, items, quests, duels, towns, markets, forts, and lets not forget forums.... it will become an immense undertaking to scale this game down.

DeletedUser17143

I've edited the original post which will hopefully answer most of your questions on my thoughts for this idea. As for the content, the game is very simple. Much more so than many of the apps already available on the iPhone and androids so content should not be a problem. Maybe for fights won't be possible unless you are in a 4G or WiFi hotspot as 3G can be a little unreliable. But I don't think not being able to take part I. Fort fights will be to bigger problem as you can just make your way there via your phone but participate via computer.

DeletedUser15641

Yes from me i guess its better to have both a pc and a phone to be available to play on them

DeletedUser

I would play it on my iPhone.... When I have one :p so now i think I can put a positive.

DeletedUser22493

Would you like me to change the title? If so, what would you like it to say?
"TheWest App for smart phones"?

DeletedUser

I think this idea has merit.As i work varying shifts and cant be at a computer for long periods,if there was a west app for smart phones i would check on the game more often even if it was only to set my character up for doing a job or going to sleep in a hotel.