The West Newspaper - help wanted.

DeletedUser1105

Hi,

We are trying to organise a team to help me put together a regular newspaper/newsletter for this forum. To begin with, the aim is for it to be a monthly newspaper, but this depends on what type of content we recieve for it.

We are looking for the following type of people to help me:

(POSITION FILLED - Da Twista / Gem) Designer- we need someone to design a one off template (with a front page template and an 'inside' page template). Contact me for more details, but it needs to look like an old western type newspaper, and needs to be editable with an everyday program (Word, Powerpoint etc).

(ONE SO FAR BUT NEED OTHERS - FARGOBEAR) Reporters Interviewers and Features - These would write articles for the newspaper. This would include opinion pieces, reports on upcoming updates, articles on debates in the forum etc. We are also looking for someone who can put together interesting and intelligent interview questions about The West and this forum, and then go and find suitable people to interview, hopefully including occasional contact with the developers (I will be discussing this aspect with Morthy).

(POSITION FILLED - TEAANDSCONES) Reporter - Humour/Quirky - we are looking for someone who would be willing/able to trawl through the forum and find suitable posts for inclusion into the newspaper. Basically finding funny posts and good artwork.

I am happy to discuss these positions in more details if required. Also, if anyone can think of something that is missing from that line-up, please do suggest it.

Before putting your name forward, please think about the commitment you can give and be honest in the time you can dedicate to this.

You must have a good grasp of the English language, by which I mean the ability to construct proper sentences/paragraphs and put together a well written article.

In addition to the above positions, we will of course be accepting submissions of content from the rest of the forum community. So even if you do not feel you could commit to one of the positions, you can still have input into the newspaper. Your first job will be the name of the newspaper, but I'll do a seperate thread for this.

Please either post below or contact me by PM about any of the above positions.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

i'll be so free to ask a simple question - if you're gonna get the community involved in all of this and in the end design it in word or powerpoint? That's like picking the best strawberries and placing them in a used toiletpaper, no pun to the toiletpaper manufacturers intended.

if you gonna ask someone to do it, someone with some free time and will to get his design ideas for free and do the design+layout of a magazine, ask them to do it in Indesign. If they can't Illustrator/Corel/Quark/Freehand. If they can't then don't ask them anything

DeletedUser5046

roc dun be harsh on te monkey..he is already asking for opinion ok? besides he just wanna ask who are interested...if they arent interested fine then..:)

but i know for sure te west newspaper will be a hit..someday. . .just like a toilet paper being a hit for people who neede it te most ;)

DeletedUser

well i admit i was being a bit harsh, but to me, and to the profession telling something can be designed in a word/powerpoint is a slap across the face

DeletedUser5046

well consider or te brainfdart and ideas a slap in te face :D

DeletedUser

Well, no not really. All he asked for is that he can edit it in Word or Powerpoint. You can design it in practically anything you want. My choice would be Adobe's CS. I think he's only really on about the text, since everyone working on his project won't all have the same software to work with.

Which brings up another point sdjx22... Maybe I'll just do it for you. ;)

DeletedUser8627

well i admit i was being a bit harsh, but to me, and to the profession telling something can be designed in a word/powerpoint is a slap across the face

Actually the disign of the look and feel can be done in photoshop and then imported into word or powerpoint with the text overlay is not really a bad idea.

If they get a person from the community to edit each page and insert text, it will not always be possible as not everyone has free time on account.

Having a template will work easier as then they can do it from their side.

EDIT^

Same thing Revn said :)

DeletedUser

not everyone has to do it

get one guy to be the editor - basically get's spammed by the matterials and he collects them, sorts them, edits them if need be, then with a plan of a layout (which page what articles etc) he sends it to the guy making the design/layout

back in the day when i did the layout/design of the daily newspaper it took me 45 min to do 8 A5 pages - 2 hours max for 16 pages with the cover and last page

DeletedUser

You have a point there too...
If the template gets out sourced it might just end up one big mess... especially if you want to throw in some pictures and spruce it up a little.

DeletedUser

the whole point of a template (if anyone has had any experience in InDesign) is the fact that it moves as you input the pictures/graphics etc; your job is just to style it best according to some rules of the trade or what ever suites you at the time

it's easier to manipulate everthing and edit the entire thing on general scale, get some text styles for titles subtitles (after which you never have to edit them to look the same) etc.

One advantage of being it a internet newspaper is you don't need to order the pages according to the printing press and you can have 13 pages of newspaper instead of 8/16/32/64 etc that you need to when printing in RL

DeletedUser5046

tat's te thing...before putting it into work ...we have to see te future :D

anyway ...its really hard to do a newspaper...even if it will be for a monthly issue...everything has to be done perfect...at a little time...sometimes not all news is in there... we will never know until we are already in te first part of making te newspaper...

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)

That's what the word 'etc' is there for :huh:

You can replicate most templates on word or publisher anyway.

DeletedUser

the whole point of a template (if anyone has had any experience in InDesign)

I know a little about a little. Layout of this sort of thing isn't really my strong point. I'm more of "designer" if you want to call it that. Most of my experience came from doing signature forums and then went over to photos. So I'm not really sure of what kind of help I can be, but I'm sure if I played around a little I can figure something out.

Here's a couple of signatures I did to give you guys some sort of idea.

Revn008.jpg

Revn007.jpg

Revn004v2.jpg

Silent-Knight002.jpg

LadyGodiva001.jpg

Red-Admiral002v2.jpg

And a town's banner I did for friends:

ElSal01.jpg

Basically, I manipulate something to make it look like something else.

DeletedUser1105

I didn't realise I'd start a big debate!

I think Revn and Da Twista have the idea for what I want. Someone to design a couple of templates (in whichever program they desire) and then somehow import that into word or powerpoint so I can then very simply add text boxes over the top.

I don't want to get into a process too involved or complicated just yet. We need to see if we can get it off the ground first, and then see if it is popular.

Da Twista has PM'd me about doing a template, and Angie is getting me a lead for the campire stories forum, they are going to have their own page, so we are getting there!

DeletedUser

I didn't realise I'd start a big debate!
and Angie is getting me a lead for the campire stories forum, they are going to have their own page, so we are getting there!

just make her use all the letters then. i usually dont bother reading her posts because they are hard to understand.

and its no joke :(

DeletedUser1105

Angie won't be writing it, just probably part of the team that comes up with something. I am speaking to Jordan about him being the lead for that section.

DeletedUser8627

I am sure that there are some good copywriters here on this forum that will be willing to help out?

DeletedUser

If someone can get me a design, (I see lots of people are interested so I won't apply for that!) I can make it into a full template with cross browser compatibility etc.
Maybe even a posting interface if you want to go down that route.