The War of the Gods

• Thread starter Deleted User - 819397
  • Start date

Deleted User - 819397

The year is 2050. The world is engulfed in a three-way war that seems to have no end, and it is threatening to destroy all of civilization. No one knows exactly how it happened, but on December 21 2012 the gods of ancient Egypt and Greece came out of nowhere with armies of supernatural proportions. These mythical warriors faded as humans fearfully began to take sides, not wanting to be caught in the crossfire. In truth, no one remembers if the original armies even existed anymore. By the year 2025, things were looking extremely grim. A small group of people were doing their best to keep their freedom from either side, but the war had arrived at their very doorstep, and were all but annihilated within a matter of weeks, as neither side recognized them as their own, so both of them attacked on sight. It was at this time that the Nordic gods appeared, driving back the armies of Egypt and Greece from the last safe havens on Earth. The Nordic gods were not fighting to take over the world, but rather felt as though things were best before, where Earth was in balance with itself.

Now the war is in a relative stalemate. The Americas are nothing but flaming ruins. Australia and Asia are gone as well. The south of Africa has fallen into the sea. The remainder of the world is divided relatively evenly. Egypt controls northern Africa and the Middle East. Greece holds the south of Europe, and the Nordic gods along with the free men have taken refuge in northern Europe. (Take where the worshipers of each of the groups lived and expand them, that's all it is) The three sides fight against each other constantly, and none will relent. The gods themselves frequent the battlefields, and, barring an opposing god, they lay waste to whatever they choose with ease. The world seems to be lost, unless a miracle happens.

You are a member of one of the armies. You cannot be a general/commander/whatever, as the gods hold those titles. You may be a higher ranking officer below the top ranks, but you must fight. Like in Tigermite's threads, you may have a small squadron of 5-6 people with you if you wish (as it's the best way to handle this kind of RP), and you may kill other characters (barring the gods, of course) aside from the main character of each person. You may choose to fight on any side you wish. Each side has special abilities and kinds of warfare they specialize in.

Egyptians are the ranged combat masters. From bomb archers to artillery, they are the masters of distance fighting. They do have problems at close range, but it is difficult for anyone to get close enough to cause that to happen. The Eye of Horus is their battle standard, and certain standards have the abilities of the eyes themselves, allowing them brief glimpses into the past or future.

Greeks are the melee masters. From laser swords to advanced cavalry, they are tough to beat at close range. They aren't the strongest with ranged weaponry, forcing them to use stealth to approach their hated Egyptian foes with mixed success. However, once within range of their enemies, they lay waste with ease. Their battle standard is the Lighting Bolt of Zeus, some of which can fire a lesser version of the Lord of the Skies' weapon.

Nordics and the Freedom Fighters are the masters of the seas as well as guerilla fighters. The resistance was forced to learn the latter ability, and when the Nordic Gods appeared, they brought with them expertise of the seas. Unfortunately, their weapons are inferior to either the Egyptians or the Greeks, relying on technology that was new when the war started (so current technology). They are currently more focused on maintaining their borders than fighting off the other factions, as the war is right near their southern borders. Their battle standard is the triple horn of Odin, some of which can launch a large tidal wave on the enemy, regardless of the distance from water.

So, who's side are you on? Are you fighting because you want to, or because you're being forced to? What will become of the remainder of the world? The time to find out is now.

(I will be playing as the gods on the various factions, as well as NPCs to fill any empty spots. Have fun :) )

Character sheet:

Name:
Faction:
Nationality: (even if it's gone, people came from there)
Why you're fighting for that side:
Personal Specialty: (NOT everything...pick one thing)
Weapons: (keep it accurate to your side)
Team: (if applicable)
Bio:

(Just something I thought up after playing a lot of a certain game and getting a new book that is essentially this concept...I think...haven't had time to read it yet hehe)

Edit: Added nationality to the profile. Also, I'm not a huge base of knowledge on Nordic mythology, so I'll be using Wikipedia a lot for them...please feel free to correct any mistakes. Greek and Egypt stuff should be right)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13682

I'll try it. I want to get into a new RP, and mythology! Great!

Name: Lieutenant David Bolan
Faction: Norse, well resistance fighter, but you have to be with somebody
Why you're fighting for that side: resistance group is allies with the Norse
Personal Specialty: concealment
Weapons: L86 LSW configured for marksman duty, L105A2, field glasses, ghillie suits for various environments, books for consulting, construction materials
Team: (if applicable)
Bio: Lieutenant David Bolan was the son of a member of the United Nations Interim Force In Lebanon (UNIFIL), part of the Irish units stationed there, until the call came to recall all troops to the homeland. The gods had come down, and were waging war. Ireland wanted to keep her homeland free of gods, though some wished the Celtic gods and goddesses would come down. They didn't, and Ireland fell to the Greeks, for awhile. But then, the Norse came, and wishing for peace and a return to the ways before the war. David's father was by this time part of a resistance group. When the Norse came, and cleared Ireland, the group decided to join with the Norse, and reset the world.

David's father taught David everything he knew about warfare, and his specialty, concealment. Everything from a human to an entire camp, learned after a mortar attack took one of his friends in 1999. Due to this, David was set up as a concealer after his father died, though he occasionally does recon and sniper work. Currently, David is stationed near the German Italian border, waging guerrilla warfare against the Greeks.

DeletedUser31931

Name: Sam Davies
Faction: Greek
Nationality: British
Why you're fighting for that side: Born in resistance. Was captured as boy when the war had begun, trained to be Greek.
Personal Specialty: Stealth
Weapons: Laser Swords, Laser Pistol, Thermo Camouflage Suit, sometimes Laser Sub.
Team:
Sam Davies
James Smith
Bio: Captured as a boy in the beginning of the war he was then raised with the Greek style. From a young age he fought for his standing in his groups and proved himself to be exceptional at stealth, able to show restraint he is used for assassination, recon and sometimes in battle. He was taken from his squad after his skills were brought to the forefront and with his best friend and teammate, James Smith, they formed a special squad. They are currently on leave in Spain, awaiting their next mission. James and Sam have formed a great bond and would place their life in the other's hands.

DeletedUser28032

Name: Sven Erikson
Faction: Nordic
Nationality: Icelandic

Why you're fighting for that side: Sven believes in the old gods of his homeland and wishes to see them restored to their rightful glory.
Personal Specialty: Sailing/Coastal navigation
Weapons: FNFAL assault Rifle, Wood Axe, Fragmentation Grenade

Team: Sven has a crew of ten, six of whom are fighters.
Bio: The son of an impoverished fisherman Sven like his siblings learnt to sail at an early age in order to help their father run his small fishing and feed his family. Eventually getting a craft of his own Sven became and accomplished seaman.
When the old gods arose first in Greece and Egypt and then later in his own homeland Sven like many of his people flocked to their cause. Re-outfitting his boat Sven now has now become like the Vikings of old using his knowledge of coastal waters he raids deep into enemy territory before disappearing almost as quickly as he appeared.

Deleted User - 819397

(Zem, I'm gonna say yes, but keep in mind that any of the gods will see right through it. I will take it away if you start going Rambo also, so keep within mortal limitations ;) )

(I'll start, even though Egypt has no supporters yet...For my posts, Egypt will be done in Orange, Greece in Blue and Norway will be Brown)

Sam Davies and James Smith were in a crowd of soldiers. All those on leave had been called together for a briefing for reasons yet unknown. Statues of the Council of Gods were in a row in front, and it was through these statues at setups all over Greek territory that the Gods gave their orders, as they were fighting on various fronts across the borders they shared with the other factions. At the center was Zeus, with Poseidon, Ares, Apollo, Dionysus, Hermes, and Hephaestus to his right, Hera, Artemis, Athena, Aphrodite, and Demeter to his left. Hades had a smaller statue off to the side, as he wasn't part of the council, but still necessary for the war. A hush drew over the crowd as the eyes of the Athena statue glowed silver and the bronze body began to move.

"You are ordered to the Midpoint. Egypt is planning something big there." Short and blunt for the orders, something the Greek warriors were used to. They were basic soldiers, nothing more. Cannon fodder, almost. The statue returned to its original position and became motionless again. A murmur of consternation ran through the crowd of men and women. The Midpoint was the place where all three factions were constantly fighting...where the three empires met. The most dangerous area. A technician's voice spoke over a monitor. "Prepare for Daedalus Teleportation. Report to your nearest teleportation station." It was time to move.

The waters were good, and Sven was feeling confident. They had sailed into the Mediterranean Sea without the Greeks noticing, something that the gods surely had a hand in. Their plan was to destroy a crucial Greek base in the south of Spain. They were several hours away before the figurehead on the front of the ship turned around and spoke to them in a loud voice. "You are ordered to the Midpoint. Greek and Egyptian forces are amassing there. We need more soldiers." A similar message was being run through the group that David was fighting in. Others were staying at the current battle point, but David and several others were being shipped out to the Midpoint. The whole thing was odd, because the Nordic faction operated more on mutual respect than ordering people around. Something serious was going on, that was clear. The adding of more soldiers from some of the factions to the Midpoint wasn't new, but doing so so quickly was worrying. A whirlpool appeared in front of Sven's ship, a teleportation to the Midpoint. Water trickled out of the ground in front of David, forming a smaller version for himself.

(I'm holding off on Egypt's opener until my next post, which by then we'll either have someone on there or I'll make an NPC...plus I don't have time for another intro hehe.)

DeletedUser

Name: Peter Ian Staker (congrats to those of you who get the joke/reference)
Faction: Norse
Nationality: England
Why you're fighting for that side: Peter is a follower of Loki, the trickster god.
Personal Specialty: guerilla fighting
Weapons: L96 sniper rifle. SIG Sauer 9mm. Uzi.
Team: Peter is commander of a 6-man section of guerilla fighters who fight behind enemy lines.
his team are all equipped with stolen M16 Armalite rifles, except for one who is armed with a GPMG.
Bio: Peter joined the Freedom Fighters at his coming of age, and he and a group of his friends infiltrated the Greek lines.
since then they have been fighting constantly since, ambushing supply columns, assassinating area commanders, etc etc. their sole objective is to cause chaos to the enemy.

DeletedUser28032

The voyage south had been quiet and uneventful and so as Sven and his small crew began to draw near to the Spanish mainland he was looking forward to making landfall, if only for a little while.
Before the war his boat had been a fishing trawler, spending much of its time around the arctic circle fishing in the frozen waters however after much work it now had a closer resemblance to a PT boat, its hull had been streamlined making it faster and sleeker as it cut through the waves, the superstructure had been armour plated although only capable of resisting the much superior firepower of the Greek and Egyptian navies for the briefest of engagements it was better than nothing. Quad 20mm cannons were mounted in a small open turret at the stern and a .50cal was mounted on top of the cabin so as to clear the intricately carved figurehead on the prow.
It was as Sven was gazing at the dark smear that was the Spanish coastline that the dragons head slowly came to life, its eyes a blaze with blue fire and a voice that sounded like the slam of a coffins lid. It wasn’t the first time that the gods had communicated with its people through this manner however it was the first time that they had decided to interfere…orders weren’t really the Norse way they mainly allowed the various captains free reign merely pointing them in the right direction.
As the figurehead once again turned to wood Sven uttered a quick prayer to Aegir the sea god as the whirlpool opened up before him were those scales he could see just beneath the surface? It wouldn’t be unlike the gods to use the Midgard serpent for such a purpose.
“Brace yourselves men this going to get rough!” Sven bellowed down the hatch, bracing himself against the thrashing waves as he sailed directly into the whirlpool before him shouting behind with a mad glint in his eyes and a smile on his lips “See you in Valhalla boys!” before plunging into the swirling abyss.

Deleted User - 819397

(Looks like I'll be doing an NPC for Egypt for the time being. Fine by me haha)

Sverd's ship spun around, going faster and faster until the scenery blurred. Before the whole ship sank though, the spinning began to slow, revealing their position had changed. While the Midpoint itself was landlocked, the Nordic gods had created a deep lake for ships to surface in on their end. The actual "Midpoint" was really a circle with a 50-mile radius. The fighting stayed within these bounds, as every time it got closer to a certain side, the faction that controlled it fought the other two back toward the center. The lake was close to the Norse side, and it was here that Sverd's ship surfaced. As they finally stopped spinning, a man on the ship next to theirs yelled over, "If you were pulled off another mission, you need to meet with the others over on the north bank. Odin himself wants to explain what's going on."

Around half of the Egyptian army was in the steel pyramid they used as their base of operations. Although it was obvious where the base was, it was so heavily defended with Ba-cannons and anti-air turrets, no one had ever succeeded in getting close. The army was located in the main room, where a statue of Thoth held sway. Thoth was one of the few gods that didn't fight in the war, as being the God of Knowledge, he had no place on the battlefield. Instead, he relayed Ra's orders while the Sun God guided his Solar Barque across the sky each day. A hush instantly fell as the statue moved, the Ibis head opening it's beak. "It is time to claim the Midpoint as our own. We have a master plan to win the day, and ultimately the war. However, I am not to tell you...instead, you will be divided into 5 groups. One for each of the Demon Day Gods." A gasp ran through the crowd. 5 gods participating in a single battle, and such major gods as well, was unheard of. The clamor hushed, stunned, as the afore-mentioned gods materialized in the room. Osiris, God of the dead, made an imposing figure, as his glowing armor did not adequately hide the terrible scars he bore as a result of Set chopping him into pieces. Isis, Goddess of magic, was resplendent in a white gown. Horus, King of the gods, was dressed in more traditional Egyptian armor, with the crook and scepter as his weapons. Nephthys, Goddess of water, was dressed similarly to Isis, but with blue rather than blue. Set, God of evil, looked different from his siblings. Whereas they had one gold and one silver eye, his were both the color of blood. He had a wicked smile on his face, clearly anticipating this mission. The silence was absolute as the gods began to relay their plan...

DeletedUser13682

"Alright, blow up those tanks there. Put those fake half tracks there. Aaron, have the radiomen send out this message. '4th mechanized brigade is formed. Waiting for orders to proceed with Operation Wool Boar.' Get those 88s covered up. Send the new marksmen to my classroom for training in the new ghillie suits." David was planning an assault on the Greek held city of Rome. The first thrust would be from Innsbruck to Venice, but David's job was to make the Greeks think the first thrust would be from Innsbruck to Milan. He was taking a chapter from the book of Operation Fortitude. Hopefully the deception would work, and they would be one step closer to taking Athens.

David was heading to his classroom, to teach some new sharpshooters how to use some new ghillie suits taken from a Greek supply train, when a messenger ran up to him, carrying a Norse idol. "Message for you, captain." The idol gave David orders to move to Midpoint immediately. This came as a surprise to David, the big push to Venice was coming up in a few days. "Yes sir, immediately." The messenger left and a small puddle formed in front of David. Serpent travel, iontach. "Lieutenant Barleigh, send word to General Haig that I am ordered to Midpoint. I want Captain Cartwright to direct Wool Boar while I'm gone." Lieutenant Barleigh saluted and went to HQ, and David stepped into the puddle.

DeletedUser31931

(Oh yeah, LR I know my stuff on Nordic Myths. I'll help you out. The Nordic people will refer to this as Ragnarok, the end of the world. Also where is the mid-point exactly. I'll just teleport there and leave it at that for now.)
Sam and James walked to their teleportation spot. Beforehand they paid a quick visit to the armory. As they walked in the armorer looked up. "What is it?" he asked "Laser subs?"
"Yeah," Sam replied "We're going to Mid-point, don't know whats going on. Best to be prepared." The armorer stopped what he was doing and strolled through the equipment storage till he found the subs. He threw the two subs to Sam and James who took two shots each on the firing range to test them. Then they set off. Their spot at the Teleport was open and so they took it. There was a falling sensation and then he came to. He was standing in a chamber at the other end of the Daedalus Teleport. The door opened and he stepped out into the mid-point.

DeletedUser28032

"Odin? then we are surely blessed" Sven replied boisterously, bringing his boat about on its new heading to join teh small flotilla of boats already moored around the northern edge of the fjord in which they had appeared.

Splashing knee deep into the icy water, Sven and his fellow crewmen made their way onto the shingle beach joining the throng of norse fighting men as they made their towards the growing assembly up ahead, the chanting of Odin's name could be heard all across the fjord with Sven's voice joining them.

Sven was 6'3" with unkept shoulder length blond hair, a single braid hanging accross his forhead making appear like the vikings of old, a whalebone amulet of Thors hammer Mjolnir hung about his neck showing his allegiance to the Aesir and a true Nord as opposed to the Saxons who had joined their cause.
As the chanting reached a near frenzied level Sven couldn't help but wonder why they had all been summoned here? pergaps today would be the day when the Einjar would be summoned and Ragnorak would begin?

DeletedUser

Peter ejected the spent clip from his L96 and stood up from his sniper's nest, surveying the bodies lying on the road below him.
"Check for survivors." he ordered as he walked down the slope towards the bodies of the Greek patrol.
with the Jimpy (GPMG) covering them, the squad kicked the corpses, checking for any fool attempting to play dead.
a cry came from on of the bodies.
"This one's alive!" Milton said as he stuck the muzzle of his M16 onto the man's forehead.
"No..! Please!" The man said, obviously scared.
Peter walked over. "I presume you've heard of our exploits." he said coldly.
the man hesitated for a moment. "Yes."
"Then you know what we like to do to survivors." Peter said in a mocking tone.
"Please! No! I beg you!"
"Looks like he knows. Mitchell, Thornloe, rip off his arms." Peter ordered.
The two burly men moved forwards.
the man tried to crawl away, but Milton's rifle butt brought an end to any attempts at escape.
the man screamed a lot, before breaking down after his upper limbs had been ripped off his torso.
"Now, RUN!' Peter shouted. the man, still sobbing, began to stagger down the road in the direction of the nearest Greek OP.

(Regal, as Zemmy said, where is Midpoint, and i'll leave it to you to work out how to get my squad there as I'm not sure.)

Deleted User - 819397

(The Midpoint is near the eastern border of the Ukraine...a logical place, geographically speaking...Tiger, I don't see how to get you there at the moment,so finish up your current mission hehe)

The head of the Nordic gods looked at the gathered soldiers. "I am deeply sorry for dragging you all here on such short notice. As you know that is not our way. However, it was necessary. Egypt is planning on something large. Our spies tell us that much, but their details are garbled. We needed to protect the Midpoint, as that's where the reports say they're attacking. If we want to stop Egypt from gaining land we've fought for since we came here, we need to hold firm today. Greece is sending their own reinforcements, but our spies in their camps all agree that Greece has no idea what's coming either, meaning that it's not known by anyone except maybe their gods. To aid you, I myself will be joining the fight. We cannot let them take this. Are you with me?"

The Greek army was being refocused into the Midpoint. A major was addressing them via a loudspeaker as they teleported in. It basically informed them that they didn't know what Egypt was planning, but to focus on the Egyptian side of it, as the Norse side would be fighting with them, something their spies had made clear. The rest was just basic yelling and berating that was common in any army.

Captain Bill Ramsan had been put in the group who would be headed by Set. The Lord of the Desert was commonly known as the Lord of Evil, as the desert was wild, unpredictable, and malicious. However, since the onset of the war, Set had directed all of his energies at the war, leaving off quarrels with his siblings for the time being. Even Apophis, the God of Chaos, and the only truly evil god, had subsided, not helping in the war, but not attacking Egypt or trying to swallow the sun, as was its wont. Set briefly outlined the plan, then turned into a pillar of sand...the warp point. The time had come...

DeletedUser

(okay, I'll work something out)

Peter sat in his ambush position, they needed transport, they'd stayed in the area for too long. eventually a truck came into view.
he cocked his rifle and observed it through the scope.
there were only two psoldiers up front, although there might be more in the back.
as the truck drove nearer, Peter sighted in on the driver's forehead.
gently he squeezed the trigger. with a slight pop (the rifle was fitted with a silencer) it fired and the slumped forwards in his seat, blood spattering across the windscreen.
the co-driver scambled out, only to be met with another shot.
Peter's squad surrounded the truck, and Cooper (Peter's 2ic) looked into the back.
he gave a thumbs-up. good. it was only a supply vehicle.
Perfect.

DeletedUser13682

David emerged into a large pool filled with various water craft, all decorated in the livery of the Vikings of old, except those from Ireland and Britain, a conglomeration of battleship gray, whatever colour the boat was before the war, and personal designs. David climbed aboard a fishing trawler with a low freeboard and rode with the crew to the shore, where everybody was meeting. When he arrived, he could see the seperation between the Nordic people and the Gaelic, Celtic, Saxon, and Norman groups. Basically, the Scandinavians generally kept to one side, and everybody else kept to the other. He knew the Nordic people generally thought of non Nords as inferiour, try telling that to the Vikings who took control of Ireland. You can't because they were all driven out.

Ethnic diversity and strife aside, it was time to find out what was going on here at Midpoint. David noticed somebody who seemed slightly familiar, then recognizing him as Odin, from some of the top secret documents on all known gods involved in the war. He apologized for deviating from traditional Norse customs, and then explained that the Egyptians were planning something so big that Odin himself would fight in the battle. Which was a big thing, guessed David. He didn't know. But everybody knew that they couldn't let the Egyptians take Midpoint. Scandinavia would be extremely threatened if they did. Then Odin asked if the group was with him, and everybody started yelling their support. So did David, but now all he had to do was wait until he was given orders.

DeletedUser28032

The roar of the assembled warriors was deafening upon hearing that Odin himself would be leading the battle, surely no one could hope to defeat such a mighty advesary?
Shouting his support for his god, Sven awaited the orders that would send him to midpoint to do battle with the enemies of his gods.

DeletedUser31931

James steeped out of the teleport and the first thing he noticed was the freezing cold. He swore, they'd forgotten to bring snow suits as backups in-case the thermal camouflage failed. After Sam came out they agreed to get some and set off together. Their first stop was the equipment store where they picked up snow suits. Then the went off looking for a commander to give them their next mission.
(LR that's your cue!)

DeletedUser

Peter jumped out of the truck, they'd been driving for several days, and had finally reached their own lines. they needed to find out what the situation was, and if Loki wanted the to continue his work, or if there was a higher mission that required them.
as his squad fanned out, Peter walked over to the area commander.
"First question, what is the state of the war, Second question, have there been any orders for us, and Third question, where are we?" he asked.

(here's your cue regal)

Deleted User - 819397

The area commander turned to Peter. "The Egyptians are up to something large. All units without dire orders are being redirected to the Midpoint. As to where we are, you're in what used to be Poland. If you aren't doing anything that is absolutely critical, there's a warp point over there. Get going." the wall of water that was the Nordic teleports was indeed a short distance away. It was time to go.

(I'm using black for this next part because it involves all three sides.)

Odin and the various Greek commanders were about to give specific orders when the air was filled with the sound of cannon-fire. The Egyptians had arrived. Their forces seemed to be split into five sections, each following...Panic erupted on the other two sides as they realized that Egypt had brought five of their most major gods to this fight. The gods sprang into action. Osiris, lord of the dead, sent out great green pulses of energy from his hands. When they hit an enemy, they crumbled to dust. The cannons behind him fired bolts of energy that did similar things to anyone in the blast radius. Isis fired magic pulses into the Greek and Nordic sides. The effects were varied, but all of them were terrible. Her cannons had similar effects, but less profound. Nephthys, goddess of the water, focused on the Nordic stretch of water, great bursts of the liquid punching holes through the largest ships first, than beginning on the smaller ones. Her cannons fired balls of water propelled at such high velocity they were more dangerous than any stone. Set, Lord of the desert, ignored the battle entirely and instead used his powers to rapidly turn the surrounding land into desert, Egypt's preferred terrain. Where he focused, the sun instantly became more intense, and the dirt crumbled to sand. The cannons behind him did the exact same thing, just at a slower pace. As for Horus, he locked on to the only other godly presence at the Midpoint, Odin, and charged. Behind him, his cannons started firing, the bolts of pure attack magic exploding violently when they struck. As Horus and Odin clashed, it was clear that the fight wasn't just going on on the Earth...they were fighting on the immortal plane as well. Odin growled something unintelligible, eliciting a fierce laugh from Horus. "KILL ME? YOU CAN'T. I'D JUST GO BACK TO THE DUAT AND REGENERATE. YOU, HOWEVER, HAVE NO SUCH SAFETY NET." was the reply the falcon-headed god spat, his words intelligible in every language present. Chaos reigned as the battle began...

(Just an afternote. By cannon, I don't mean the Renaissance version...I mean more of an artillery-rocket setup. Cannon just is easier to say.)

DeletedUser31931

(OOC: I shall also refer to them as cannons to save time.)
James heard the Egyptians and he looked and Sam they they both knew they were thinking the same thing. "We have to take out those cannons!" James shouted to Sam. Switching their suits on they ran to the store where they appeared and grabbed several laser grenades and two stun and two smoke grenades each. That done they switched on their suits and avoiding being seen by the Gods who could see them through their suits . They ran through the Egyptian lines slicing anyone who neared them with their swords. Together running from cover to cover they began to advance on the cannons.