The Tiran Wars: Southern Reaches

DeletedUser

Markef and F'nor marched on through the day, and decided to stop for the night in a section of the forest where the ground seemed to be level. Markef, using his years of expertise in living a vagabond lifestyle, used his hatchet to fell several small trees, which he covered in branches, hemlock and pine bark to create a sort of lean-to shelter. He made it large enough to fit both of them, in case F'nor was unable or unwilling to build his own, despite thinking that F'nor might be more comfortable in his own shelter. "Well, wanna make your own shelter or share this one?", he asked, handing F'nor the hatchet.

DeletedUser25825

Kyolja awaited the response of the elf, but held her hand up to silence any answer that may have been coming. "A horse approaches", she stated simply. She rose the hood of her cloak and settled her hands on the mane of Cocheta, before gently entwining her fingers in the coarse hair of the mare. She turned her slightly bowed head in the direction of Cassius as he entered the clearing. She'd heard the scrape of the saber clearing its sheath and quietly contemplated.

Her purple stained lips turned upwards in a slight smirk as the man quite insisted that she and Faeron were to travel to the nearest jail citing they were both under arrest. The man had gall she had to admit, but she had no intention of being arrested.

She shook her head slowly and sighed audibly, before responding, "I'm afraid I won't be complying with your detainment order. I may be a visitor to this realm, so placed within whatever law and order controls it, but I have committed no criminal act. My time is precious, and I will not allow my path to be forked by false accusations or beliefs. Perhaps you should go back to whomever your superior is and find out why you've received false orders in regards to me, or this elf. After you've done that, and if you can find me again and prove whatever it is you believe I've done, which is nothing so a waste of your and my time, THEN I might consider your order. If you're even given the authority you claim to possess."

Her lips moved into the form of a pleasant smile as she gently patted the neck of Cocheta, before tugging her other hand gently on the horse's mane to turn her toward Cassius and his mount.

Deleted User - 819397

F'nor looked up at the fading light. "The sky is clear and there seems to be no threat of rain...there does not appear to be much threat of animal attack as we have seen no tracks...as a result, I believe I shall simply lay under the stars. I find it helps me relax...thank you for your kind offer though...I do appreciate it." F'nor handed the hatchet back to Markef, then set his weapons down and lay his head down on the inside of the shield. "Goodnight." he murmured before falling asleep. As with last night, the shifting image of his father entered his dream.

"Well, son...you have found the son of Témalad I see. He will be an excellent ally...Témalad was one of the best friends I made during our journey...in fact, he was the first friend I made among the group. However, there is something that troubles me about him...Markef has the distinct aura of the Demon Giant around him...I cannot determine its source...you simply must find out what he has that is corrupted and convince him to rid himself of it. Otherwise, he could very well become corrupted by the Demon Giant's energy...and if that happens, Témalad will haunt me in the afterlife when he too passes on. YOU MUST GET IT AWAY FROM HIM."

F'nor asked, "Is there a possibility he won't become corrupted if he kept it?"

Regal thought for a moment, then replied "Depends on what it is that is tainted...a piece of clothing will certainly corrupt him...same with armor. A weapon, however...that depends...if it is determined it is a weapon and he will not get rid of it...monitor him closely...if he begins to refuse to even remove the weapon from his person, get rid of it...I believe as long as he is highly careful in not becoming attached to the weapon, he will be fine...and now the morning comes...I will leave you to get a few hours of rel sleep...good night, my son." With that, Regal vanished and a dreamless sleep overcame F'nor.

DeletedUser13682

The nerve of this woman! Claiming she had done no wrong, that she was just a visitor. Time too precious to be wasted on spending earned time in a jail cell. And questioning his authority, therefore questioning the authority of the king! That's it, play time was over. No more Mr. Nice Guy. Time to use some diplomatic force. "You tortured and slaughtered men, without reason. You resisted arrest and your horse injured one of my men. If even the murder of men isn't reason enough, there's more. The elf is a traitor, I am a witness to that. Last chance. If you don't comply, I will have to use force. If you attempt to escape, you will be hunted down by my entire company. We will find you, and you will have to be killed. Three strikes, you're dead. Such is the law here. But then, you aren't much for laws, are you?"

DeletedUser

Markef fell asleep inside his shelter. His dreams were more sensual than F'nors, including plenty of ale and women. He awoke the next morning, and righted himself. He was a bit disappointed about the abrupt ending of his dream, but he didn't fret overmuch. It was just a dream, after all. F'nor had not yet awoken, so he had some time available. He drew his new sword from his backpack, and examined it. It was one of high quality, leading him to believe that Témalad had not purchased or forged it himself, but captured it from a dead opponent. He decided to test the sword again, and swung it at a hemlock sapling. Again, the sword seemed to have a momentum all it's own, and it sliced the sapling in two with minimal effort. He touched the severed stump and found it to be scorching hot. He thought he even saw burn marks on it, but that may have been a trick of the light. "What else can it do?", he wondered with a smirk. He saw that F'nor was beginning to wake up, and walked back to the campsite.

DeletedUser25825

Kyolja's smile faded as Cassius's tirade continued. She felt it was time to resolve this issue, and the question was the choice of resolution. She decided a two pronged approach would be the answer. Perhaps a mix of reality of the situation with a show of force would be enough to dissuade further complications from this odious man. She waited for the man to finish his threats, while remaining calmly still on the back of the mare.

She spoke with a hint of regret on her voice as she responded, "I have no place for laws that do not protect victims. You have given me two warnings, and I will therefor grace you with a warning of my own. To continue to threaten me is an unwise decision, and quite likely the largest and perhaps last error you will make in regards to me. It would be folly to continue this course. It is my suggestion that you return and report a failure in locating me. Six men are dead because they foolishly attacked me. Why send more men to their doom?"

She leaned over slightly and spat on the ground beside her, before straightening. "The choice is yours of course, but should you decide to pursue this hopeless matter against me, it will not be my death recorded on the rolls." She placed the tip of her middle finger on the pad of her thumb and lifted her hand. "Now, shoo!" She flicked her finger in the air and the horse Cassius rode screamed in fear and reared up on its hind legs pawing at the air before it in sheer terror.

Deleted User - 819397

F'nor woke and saw Markef messing around with his sword. He smiled as he remembered his own younger self, first learning about how to use an axe-lance. As they set off that day, he asked casually, "I was wondering...did you perhaps go to the body of the Demon Giant...and maybe did you take anything from around the Demon Giant?" He cursed himself for his unimaginative probe, but decided what was done was done.

DeletedUser

"You have some nerve to call me a Traitor" Faeron spat, "I betrayed no one, you asked me to help you find her, well here she is after I tracked her through the woods for a day and a half...not that she has done anything wrong may I add, as for me I have no interest in going to your jail, well then, I have no more business with you so I will continue on my journey". He turned to the women, "Would you care to come with me?", without waiting for a response Faeron walked a few paces, then turned to Cassius "Follow me if you like, but if you do I will be forced to stop you... good bye"

DeletedUser13682

"Down, boy, down I said!" Whack! Cassius hit his horse, not too hard, with the flat of his sword. That calmed the horse down. "You first elf. I saw and heard you talking to the woman, exchanging pleasantries. The fact that you didn't arrest her immediately, or report her position immediately is evidence enough. And you!" Cassius turned to the woman. "You just attacked me and my horse. That is another offense! I don't care if neither of you are foreigners, you respect the laws of the land you're in. If I was in your countries, I would respect your laws and follow them. The least you can do is show the same respect for this country." Though Cassius said this very convincingly, and earnestly, he was starting to show some doubts about all this. Maybe this woman did kill those men because they were attacking her. Wouldn't be that far fetched. If that were true, than nobody was at fault, and Cassius would have to do a lot of explaining, to his men, to the king, and most importantly, to the elf and woman. "Wait. If you can prove that you did kill them because they were attacking you first, then I'll be able to drop all charges. You wouldn't be convicted of murder, and you" turning to the elf, "wouldn't be a traitor. But I need proof, or I will take you in. One chance is all you get."

DeletedUser25825

Kyolja sniffed disdainfully as she listened to yet more demands from the man, yet they were finally beginning to sound more reasonable to her. She turned her slightly bowed head towards where she heard Faeron moving away and softly stated, "Please, I would go with you, but he is right in one thing. Even should this end poorly for him, our purposes will be continually swayed by more like him, who would follow in our wake. Perhaps this might be resolved without further violence and once and for all."

She turned her head toward Cassius, lowering her hood and resting her hands on the mare's mane to brush it gently as she spoke. "I have no immediate proof on my person, nor a way to show you events through magic. However, if you were to visit where I was attacked, I'm sure there would be enough evidence to show my innocence in this affair. There were six men, who encircled my position judging by where their voices came from. After I refused to comply to their demands for this horse, one armed with a bow drew to fire his missle at me. I'm sure the arrow I deflected from striking me lies near where he was felled by my spell." She brushed her purple stained fingers over her bandaged eyes as she continued, "As you can see, to try to fire a bow accurately is impossible, so the arrow did not belong to me. The other men all had weapons drawn, and again, were you to visit the site where I defended myself, I'm certain you would find their weapons nearby. I carry no weapon, so why would I choose to attack?"

She straightened on the mare's back. "I would also imagine were you to check their descriptions against other reports of robbers in these woods, you would find they are all wanted men. I WAS defending myself, and should be considered innocent."

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13682

Cassius nodded in remembrance. "We did find the bow near the man, but the arrow was pointed toward him. We thought it was you that shot it, but missed. The swords, we didn't find any nearby. But there was one a fair distance away. We recorded everything, and we're bringing a man in from the east to see if you possibly flung it from their hands, or if it was you that dropped it. The sword is made out of Damascus Steel, so it is possible that the cut was made from the sword. But for now, I don't think you did it, though there really are no records about the men being robbers. Not yet at least. We haven't gotten to recording everything." Cassius put his sword away, and dropped his lance back into its holder, while getting a drink from his flask. "Question: May I ask where it is that you are intending to head to?"

DeletedUser

"I am heading to the south to take part in the war there, for which side I am unsure as of yet , Who will join me on my journey I don't know, but I will find out soon wont I?, that is if your finished questioning us..." Faeron took out a tattered piece of parchment and unrolled it, it was a very old map of Tiran, he examined it while waiting for an answer from either of them.

DeletedUser25825

Kyolja nodded her head. "I too am traveling south. I do not know if I will partake in the upcoming war, but my fate leads me south." (Ugggh... I'm terribly sorry for a one liner... I'm so ashamed... but I'm lacking inspiration at the moment)

DeletedUser

Faeron was about to leave but then he sensed something, "There is something wrong here" he said slowly... the other two just looked at him, Faeron could sense some kind of evil in the area but he was not quite sure what. "Get down" he whispered, the others didn't move "GET DOWN!" before they could move arrows were flying through the trees. Faeron couldn't see the attackers but he could sense they were near. Faeron dodged the arrows that came his way nimbly, Kyolja deflected them with magic but Cassius's horse took an arrow and Cassius was flung off. "Follow me!!!" Faeron shouted, he ran for the stream taking an arrow in the shoulder as he jumped in, he blocked out the pain and was taken away by the current, he heard two splashes behind him and he hoped it was Cassius and Kyolja.

DeletedUser

Markef was a bit surprised by F'nor's query, but he didn't mind answering questions. "Now that you mention it", he answered, "I did drop by the Demon Giant, and I found this really awesome sword". He lifted his sword in front of him, showing it off. "If my speculation is correct, my father carried it into battle with the Demon Giant. It's a true piece of history, for sure". Not thinking any more of it, he strapped the sword back onto his backpack and continued walking.

Deleted User - 819397

F'nor looked apprehensively at the sword. He knew he had to choose his next words carefully to impress upon Markef how serious the situation was. "I recently came upon the information that sometimes incredibly powerful items or people could allow their presence to infiltrate an item, and that the next person to use whatever it was could potentially become corrupted by that presence...it is entirely possible the Demon Giant's consciousness has entered that sword, and you could be at risk for becoming corrupted by the most feared being in our land. I implore you...please dispose of the sword." F'nor inwardly kicked himself again for his blunt manner...he had never been a person to please someone with words...he feared he had been too direct...and Markef had to get rid of the sword...the alternative could become devastating for the entire land.

DeletedUser

The ambush spot was perfect, Ryn'taer reflected as he began the climb to a spot atop a boulder that looked down onto the road. This road that stood in front of him was part of the network of intertwining and connecting trails quickly becoming known as 'The Trail of Anguish'. It was just what the elven trained ranger had looked for.

The road meandered between a pair of rocky hills that were perfect for triggering rockslides and offered a windbreak, so Ryn'taer's arrows woul dfly true, without any hinderence from the winds. A stream babbled merrily beside the trail and some trees had taken root and grew into adulthood between the two hills, soon to run red with the blood of evil men, this offered a perfect chance to apply some of the cruel traps that the Du'ellofar had taught him. The ground was rocky and hard to traverse for the horses ridden by the Tiran oppressors. This spot would go down in legend as the beginning of the fall of Tiran.

Ryn'taer was angered by the great show of both belief and abandonment by his elven tutors. On his right hand he felt a great sense of pride that he, of all the other rangers, would be selected to begin the deniable fighting with Tiran. With his left, however he felt a great sense of fear, hostility and abandonment from his elven friends, how could they expect him to destroy an dentire caravan of heavily armed Slave masters? His hands were shaking, until he heard the distance rattle of wagons and the rythmic beating of Tiran drums, suddenly, the ranger's hands stopped shaking and he was perfectly still.

Duke Tyrani La'fyete sat in his luxuriously upholstered carriage, contentedly munching on grapes, as he watched the rolling plains and hills of Southland go by his window. A cool breeze wafted through the inside of his vehicle, propelled from fans held by newly appointed slaves, as a great bowl of ice slowly melted and kept the inside of his carriage cool. Yes, life was good for the Duke.

"My liege." A mounted man interupted "We are coming into the pass, we have to slwo down, or the horses will fall on the rocks."

"Very well" The duke replied "But we must make it to a village by nightfall, Commander. Do not fail me."

The great Tiran warrior dismounted and tied his mighty warhorse to the side of the Duke's carriage, as he did the helmet he wore glinted in the sunlight, disguising the distinct twang and flight of the elven arrow. The arrow glided silently through the air, before it pierced the neck of the warrior and bloodied the inside of Duke Trani's carriage.

Suddenly, the slave caravan erupted into action. With well trained motions, the guards closest to the slaves took up their swords, hatchets and axes and moved towards the chained prisoners. Elven arrows flew from on high and crashed with mighty shrieks into the backs, chests and heads of the executioners and soon, none dared to approach the prinsoners. The duke was unceremoniesly dumped from his carriage, as an arrow flew from the hill and hit the ground under the horse's hooves. The beasts reared and bucked, before galloping off into the distance and leaving the duke where he had fallen in the dirt.

Upon the hill, Ryn'taer pulled back another arrow and let it fly, this time he missed and the arrow buried itself between the legs of Duke Tyrani, who scuttled off into the shelter of a nearby supply wagon, his robes turning a sickly brown color from the dirt.

Ryn'taer smiled, as the Duke coward into a corner somewhere, to hide, while his men fought and fought they did. A group a ten soldier charged the hillshide that he had taken his vantage point on, but they did not get past the traps set into the trees. Three of the executioners were caught in a single trap, when a spiked log was tripped, via a small trip wire. Their blood patterned the tree behind them, as they cried and howled to their respective gods for help.

Ryn'taer was tired of sitting and watching the fight unfold, so he unstrung his bow and sheathed it across his back, before he pulled the mighty sword of his father and rushed down the hill, jumping from rock to rock. On his way by, his sword flashed and a rope was cut, that held a great landslide from rushing down, blocking the exit from the valley in a thunderous roar. The elven trained ranger did not hear the great howl of the falling stone, however, he had retracted his thoughts and now ran on sheer instinct and elven intuition alone.

As he came onto the flat, level with the caravan, a group of men took bows frmo their backs and began to fire on him. Whirring projectiles noisily flung at him were easily parried with long graveful swipes of his sword, the arrows flying away from him in all directions. His steps were quicker then that of a normal man and his endurance was greater then any ten and the Tiran soldiers suddenly found they had chosen the wrong route to go home and most did not live to regret their mistake.

Two heavily armored Tiran soldiers ran at the Ranger, their great broadswords held on high. One made a great effort to lop Ryn'taer's head from his shoulders, but the angry ranger ducked easily under the blow and stood straight, his sword glittering in the bright sunlight, as it drove deeply into the stomach and through hardened metal to bite into flesh and bone. A great spurt of crimson gushed from the mortal wound, as Ryn'taer pulled his sword free and moved to engage the second soldier, but that man had begun to flee in terror. From his back, Ryn'taer took an arrow and, timing his move perfectly, her threw it as you would a throwing knife. The arrow bit into the plate armor and felled the slave merchant where he stood.

"Kill him! It's only one man!" Duke Tyrani cried, as he grovelled in the dirt behind the supply carriage.

"Only two of you will leave here, this day." The ranger yelled in primal exhultation "Only two will survive to tell the story of I."

Deep inside the ranger's mind, to his horror, he found that he enjoyed the bloodshed. He loved the stench of the fear and anger and frustration, loved the weight of his mighty sword in his grasp and loved the sheer taking of life. The human mind of the Ranger was terrified by this, but, in his state of meditation he could do nothing to control the body and out of his state he would be merely an average swordsman. He had no other alternative, but to allow this dark side of himself free to cause death and destruction.

The sword of his father blocked an incoming axe of it's own accord, but Ryn'taer Toro'eth was the one who pulled his sword back with enough strength and cunning to pull the axe from the soldier's grasp and then swipe the blade across his face. A crimson line was traced across the soldier's face and the man cried, as he realised that he could no longer see and never would again. Dropping to the dirt, the man cried out in pain and fear. Only to have the Ranger kicked him in the forehead with enough force to drive the man backwards off his feet, to lay unconscious in the dirt.

A line of soldiers approached the Ranger, their pikes down and their helmets protecting their faces. They advanced like a wave of civilization, the very meaning of industry and the two forces, Nature and Industry clashed together in a fury none had seen before. The ranger kicked, punched and used his sword to devastating effect. Each time the line of soldiers believed they had an opening, the mighty sword of Ryn'ntar would block it in a great whir of air and death. One by one the line of five soldiers fell to the vicious attacks of the elven trained Ranger. The last attempted to flee, but the Ranger launched himself in a diving tackle and caught the Tiran oppresor behind the knees, bringing him down in a painful heap, as the furious might of 18 years of elven tutiledge fell over him. Ryn'taer grabbed ahold of the helmet the soldier had on and planted his boot upon the neck, before, amidst a gut wrenching cry, the Ranger pulled back with enough force to snap the neck of the warrior inside.

The resistance had ended with the fall of a mighty line of soldiers and now Duke Tyrani weeped openly, as he threw himself upon the ground before the still blood crazed Ranger. Then, there was a great cry of triumph from the lines of chained slaves, one that was greater then the cries of anguish or of terror, but one of hope and gratitude. It was probablly heard in the Eff'ngham castle five hundred miles to the north. It rocked the king of Tiran with all it's collected fury.

DeletedUser25825

Kyolja heard Faeron shout a warning. She'd been so involved with trying to explain reason to the puffed up official that she'd dropped her guard, and worse she'd stopped being aware of her surroundings. She heard the multiple distinct twangs of bowstrings and crouched forward on the back of the mare, while flippiing her left hand upwards to deflect an arrow sailing in her direction. She heard Cassius's horse scream in pain, and him falling to the forest floor. She hissed in his direction, "Serves you right, losing your horse to your own assassins."

Faeron crashed into the river, and she wheeled the mare towards the water. "Fly!" she urged. Cocheta lept forward toward the water, even as Kyolja heard another volley of arrows launched in their direction. She squeezed the mare's powerful sides with her knees, and brushed her hands through the air before her and outward to each side, and the arrrows sailing through the air all deflected errantly from their courses. Kyolja leaned forward and grabbed the mare's mane as she felt the animal leap bodily off the ground.

As rider and mount left the ground, Kyolja's lips moved soundlessly as she breathed silent words. Cocheta did not come crashing down into the river, but rather continued to sail above the water, with her legs galloping on nothing, as though light as a feather. Kyolja swung her leg over the mare's back and lept sideways off of her. She lifted her arms and floated softly downward, much as she had when she had been forced to flee the inn. Cocheta reached the other bank and landed solidly on the ground as Kyolja was enveloped by the rushing water of the river.

As Kyolja surfaced with a sputter, she angled her body to face down current and called out, "Flee my friend!" The mare reared up on her hind legs whinnying, twisted in place and came down facing toward the safety of the forest. Cocheta galloped off into the deeper woods as Kyolja hugged her head in her arms for protection and floated on her back with her feet in front of herself.

DeletedUser13682

Twang, and boom! Cassius was about to suggest an idea, and then he was down, his horse dead beneath him. He head the woman yell at him about his assassins. "I don't have assassins! These aren't my bloody men! Get out of here!" Cassius saw an archer, no uniform that he knew of, no insignia, no nothing, and threw his lance at the man. The archer fell, releasing an arrow, which thankfully, hit only a tree, and not Cassius or the other two. He ran in the direction of the other two, saw them splash, and right as another volley hit them, he too jumped in the river.

Not a great idea, Cassius thought, his armor was weighing him down, causing him to sink. Since certain death was worse than probable death, Cassius elected to cast his armor off, losing his helmet, breast and back plate, and gauntlets. He emerged from the water, found he had his sword still in its belt, and his pack on his back, and looked around for the others. There was the woman, floating down the river. "Hey, woman! It's me! Where's the elf?"

DeletedUser25825

Kyolja heard the man shouting for the whereabouts of Faeron over the rushing water as she was jarred by a rock protruding from the waterline. She snidely replied, "I don't see him!" She struck another rock with her feet and pushed away from it as the rushing water rushed up over her head. She coughed as she resurfaced and tried to twist herself in the rapids so that her feet were directed downstream once again.

She yelled out, "If you're by me, we must get out of this soon. I can feel the current increasing and we're certain to be pulverised against rocks down the river." She stopped hugging her head and held her arms outward trying to grasp at anything her hands might brush against. She felt her hand bursh against a limb, and she grabbed desperately at it. She felt her skin being torn as she gripped the limb tightly and tried to pull herself from the current. She felt her hand sliding along the limb until she was able to grab enough of the limb to stop herself from traveling further down the river.

She heard the man crying out to her and held her free hand out, hoping that he would catch it.