The Sentinels: Sleeping Giants

DeletedUser28032

Cesare
Diving down an alley way Cesare double backed in the direction in which they had came hoping to lose the guards who had been piling into the blood stained street moments after he had left it himself.
Glancing over his shoulder as he continues to move he notices with a quiet satisfaction that the two men had decided to follow him after all "Come on this way, we'll leave out of the side gate" he called quietly to them with a wave of his arm before disappearing down another alley.
Slowing his pace down to that of a walk knowing that a running man attracted far too much attention within a place like Cytringham much like bleeding men and men in highly noticeable attire for that matter, he speaks casually over his shoulder at the other men whom he was sure were still following him "So tell me, by what names do you go by?"
Absently nodding his head at the answers provided he pauses long enough to pull a shirt from a washing line and toss it at the bleeding Chasind "Put that on if the guards see your bleeding they'll ask questions and slow us down" he spoke using the same tone of voice he had once used when speaking with raw recruits.
Turning one final corner the group find themselves at the small side gate guarded only by a pair of rather bored looking men none of whom were paying them any attention as they approached.
Walking with the confidence of an innocent man Cesare strolls past them and out of the town into the surrounding countryside.
"We'll have to buy our supplies from the next village though it should give you guys time to ask me any questions you may have" the next village along was several miles away but with any luck they should be able to reach it before nightfall if they kept up a steady pace.
------------------------------------
Jaime
Riding cross country the group made better time than they had in amongst the trees, the smear of smoke on the horizon growing as they drew nearer.
The sun was just beginning to set when they caught their first glimpse of the village the small collection of thatched house's burning brightly as the group of raiders continued to loot and pillage gathering together the valuables, slaves and livestock they were to take with them in a cattle corral.
"Must be around thirty men down there...well armed too by the looks of things" Jaime muttered as they watched from atop of the nearby hill, the screams of the villagers echoing up towards them "Attacking them will be difficult...they'd see us and form a shield wall long before we even reached them even on horseback" an image of the closely packed men pointing a wall of spears at him as his horse crashed into them filled his head followed by his own screams as he died beneath their axes...Jaime had seen horses charge a shield wall before and it hadn't ended well...they would have to think of something else.

Deleted User - 819397

Drake followed the new pair, hastily cleaning his axe as they went. The flames had caused some of the blood to evaporate, but that just meant the color was stuck on more. Once he had finished, he stuck the weapon in its place on his back, then got rid of the fire on his staff, having forgotten to shut it off upon the conclusion of the battle. The one-armed man inquired as to his name, and for the second time that day the alchemist introduced himself. "I'm Drake Nurms, battle alchemist."

After that the time for questions was delayed until they left the city, speed being of the essence. Cesare strolled past the gates as though he did it every day. Drake started to follow when one of the guards called to him. "Nurms, where're you off to?"

Drake turned and chuckled. "I thought I told you to stop calling me by my last name, whelp! It's Drake!"

The guard, clearly an acquaintance of the alchemist, laughed. "No one else gives you grief, man! Someone has to, might as well be me!"

Drake waved away the statement, then continued, "I finally got a job to get me out of here for a while, Thom. Not sure how long I'll be gone, but you'll be the first to know when I'm back, sound good? I've got to run though...my client's getting away. Take care of yourself Thom." So saying, he ran after the others, realizing with a start that the man was the only person he could consider a friend. It was a sobering thought.

Once he caught up with the others, he waited a moment, then asked, "We gave our names...what do you two go by?"

DeletedUser

Brynjolf followed the small group as they ran through the streets and out the gates. He was close behind but was slowed by his wound. If they were going to make the next village there wasn't time to stitch it now.
While running he reached into his pockets, pulled out a leather bag and began smearing the thick green contents into the wound. It was a thick and pungent mix of herbs that would numb the pain and hopefully keep out infection.
Brynjolf gave silent thanks that he was more resilient than most and then he heard Drake ask, "We gave our names...what do you two go by?".
Brynjolf sped up so he was once again part of the group and he could listen to the reply.

DeletedUser31931

Ben thought quickly and replied "We could split the men, if you lead a group around teh village far enough away to not be seen until you can attack from the other side and then we pull several fake charges whilst firing enough arrows at them to cause them to form a shield wall facing us. Then you can sweep in from behind and they will have to either turn and face you thus leaving themselves exposed to us or if we catch them by surprise then you could break up the shield wall. The only way we are going to win is if we manage to break them apart. Take the men you'll need and go as quickly as you can whilst remaining undetected, when you are almost there we will begin our attacks. Let's do this!"

DeletedUser

Galen ran alongside Cesare, aware of the Chasind and the battle alchemist following.
"We gave our names...what do you two go by?" Said the battle alchemist, Drake.
"I'm Galen, this is Cesare, the person you're being hired to look for is a woman named Ymira, any more questions?" The thief briskly replied, not pausing to look back as they moved away from the ramshackle wooden walls of Cytringham.

DeletedUser28032

Cesare
Following the dirt road Cesare slowed down to a more comfortable pace; the guards wouldn't bother chasing them down now that they were out of the town or at least that’s what hope would be the case.
As Galen replied to Drake's question, providing him with both his and Ymira's name he simply nodded his head in agreement before asking a question of his own "So why were you two fighting with those Chasind we saw? not that I am judging but I am just curious is all" in the distance wisps of smoke could be seen rising over the next hill, he wasn't all that familiar with this part of the world so wasn't sure how large a settlement the village was but hoped they would be able to buy some food along with a few other essentials horses would be nice too but he doubted they have any for sale.
"Do you know anything about the village up a head Galen?" he asked figuring the thief would have a better local knowledge than he did.
--------------------------------------------
Jaime
Dressed in old but serviceable chainmail Jaime looked more like a child playing with his father’s war gear yet despite his young age was already an experienced warrior after serving with a Franziskan lord during the war. The battles between them and the Sidhe had been brief and bloody but like all of those that had survived the conflict he had learned quickly "Very well my lord I'll give you a signal when we're in position" kicking his horse into a canter he leads roughly a half of the men under Ben's command back down the hill in order to circle around the back of the village.
About twenty minutes had passed by the time Ben heard the bird calls coming from across the hills, signalling that Jaime and his men were in position. As soon as Ben began his diversionary attack the raiders quickly formed into a shield wall within the village using the burning houses to protect their flanks, a handful of arrows shot from hunting bows sailed over the mercenaries heads but they were too few and too far away to cause any damage.
Despite outnumbering the tiny group of men before them the raiders held their ground knowing that if Ben was foolish enough to charge them either on foot or on horse then he would be quickly overpowered.

DeletedUser31931

"We'll never get it, well there is one option. A third party..." Ben mused to himself, he had to do something. "Samuel. Keep the men firing and making the raiders distracted, I'll lead a group through the houses." Grabbing about three men he gave the call for Jaime to charge in, he knew Jaime wouldn't put the men's lives at risk, however, that wasn't the reason for calling them in, either he would catch them by surprise and destroy the shield wall which he highly doubted or he would proved the distraction Ben needed to get into close quarters with the men, if necessary he would use his magic, a fireball here and there wouldn't go amiss.

DeletedUser

"So why were you two fighting with those Chasind we saw? not that I am judging but I am just curious is all" asked one of the men Brynjolf was now following. He really had no idea why he was with them but he owed the alchemist for saving his life and his honour bound him to the man. He wouldn't leave him now. Not until the debt was repayed.

'I am a Beast-Talker,' Brynjolf replied to the question. 'At least that is what they believe. I control spirits of the wild and set them against my fellow clansmen. In truth they are simply as ignorant as I once was.'

Brynjolf went quiet a moment and then added, 'So what trouble is this woman in. I am assuming we are needed because this isn't as simple as you make it sound.'

DeletedUser

"So what trouble is this woman in. I am assuming we are needed because this isn't as simple as you make it sound." Asked the Chasind.
"She's gone missing, the border counties are dangerous, that's why you're needed, and it's all you need to know." Galen responded.
"Do you know anything about the village up a head Galen?" Asked Cesare.
Galen stopped to think for a moment before thinking; "Yeah, it's small about twenty dwellings, about sixty or seventy people, it's a farming village that supplies some of Cytringham's markets, it hasn't got an inn, but it does have a couple of small market stalls, we should be able to get supplies there." He answered methodically.

DeletedUser25825

Busana chuckled as Matheld assured her that she would never be targeted. She did not respond, but listened to her friend orate her thoughts concerning what Busana had presented. After Matheld had agreed to accompany her, she stood, grinned a bit wildly and said, "I thought we'd start somewhere easy... say... Rithe Halla." She smiled as she saw some color drain from Matheld's face. Busana actually felt the same trepidation about the thought, but it was where they needed to start none the less.

She moved to an ancient chest and opened it. She pulled her cloak out and draped it over her shoulders. She began gathering other items and accouterments of her past and said, "If the Sentinels are gone, that's where they would last be. We must find out if any still live, or find the trail that will lead us to them." She paused as she saw the two items glint at the bottom. The first was Lucien's Chasind blade nestled in the bottom of the chest. She picked it up and examined the hilt that she and Matheld had defaced; forever dishonoring his memory amongst the people. She shook her head and dropped the evil blade back into the bottom. Best to leave that ghost lie. She grabbed the other item, a Talamh Bui minor woman's signet ring. She'd never bothered to follow up on her mother's line, but she hated to leave it behind none the less. She slid it onto her finger and shut the chest.

She stood and tucked her braid into the back of her cloak, before she raised her hood. She looked at Matheld, took a slow breath and smiled. She unexpectedly admitted, "I am thankful that you wish to accompany me Matheld. This could very well be our last night for all I know. Our enemy is unlike any we've faced. I can't think of anybody that I'd rather die with." She looked around the room, grabbed the letter she'd been writing and rolled it up. She said, "If you're ready, we set off immediately." She exited her chamber and handed the scroll to one of the acolytes with instructions as to where it should be delivered.

She assumed Matheld was already ready, as it was one of the things she'd browbeat into the woman very early in their life together. An unprepared assassin was a dead assassin. She moved down the corridor of their complex, giving instructions to guards and the others as she passed. As she exited into the night air she said, "We'll make out way to Talamh Bui and meet up with Hardis", referring to the promising lead assassin they had assigned to one of their larger cells in that kingdom. She said, "We'll begin networking through him while we make out way to Rithe Halla." Busana presented it as a statement, but Matheld knew she had enough standing and respect to understand the older assassin was looking for her support or an answer why it was folly.

DeletedUser28032

Cesare
"So...you don't talk to the beasts then?" Cesare replied to the Chasind man with a single raised eyebrow and a smirk, he'd heard of many strange and wonderful things during his travels and the few he had witnessed had turned out be either half truths or blatant lies out to take money from the gullible and the unwary, however until proven otherwise he was willing enough to go along with the mans claim after all it may turn out to be true.
Cresting the low hill they see the small village nestled within the bend of a river, wisps of smoke coming through the tops of the small thatched cottages in preparation for the night; the villagers bringing in their boats from off of the river and the small market stalls just as Galen had promised them "I am going to see if I can get us some food for the journey, see if you guys can find us somewhere to stop the night, the village elder would be a good starting point" Cesare spoke descending the path into the village as he did so.
Jaime
Spotting his lords signal Jaime drew his sword and spurred his horse on towards the rear of the enemy shield wall whilst the men under Ben's command distracted the enemy with arrows.
His heart hammered and his breath raced as the sound of horse’s hooves thundered in his ears as his voice joined those of his comrades in an ear splitting war cry that would send his voice hoarse.
Hearing the same sound as Jaime did the two rear ranks of the eight man wide shield wall broke away from the others to form another shield wall to face him, but it was hastily done and of ill discipline and so when his men crashed into it with the crashing of steel and the screaming of horses it disintegrated under the impact, however even with enemies on all sides and their defensive wall shattered the raiders still had the numbers to overwhelm and crush these impudent mercenaries.
Bellowing his orders to his men, the large mail clad man held aloft his long axe in challenge before swinging it round to remove a mans head with a single blow "Kill them, Kill them all I want to build a throne from their skulls!" he screams with near hysterical battle lust through the cheek pieces of his raven winged helmet, finally somebody had dared to face him in combat even if it was only this tiny rabble of mercenaries.
Spying Ben and the two men accompanying him, he points the axe in his direction sending around six men to deal with them before striding towards the horsemen and glorious battle.
Matheld
"Rithe Halla...but...that’s in the centre of Sidhe territory" she replied quietly after swallowing the lump that had suddenly appeared in her throat, the Sidhe were a dangerous race who seemed to enjoy nothing more than taking out their sadistic pleasures on others, especially those they caught within their territory without their leave.
"...Not that I am worried or anything" quickly tacking on the last few words to the end of the sentence not wanting to show her anxiety over the trip or at least no more than she already had done "I shall go and collect my things immediately my mistress" offering Busana a brief nod of her head she quickly leaves the room and heads up the stairs leading to her room.
She had many places she called home within the city along with the other major cities in which they did business though it was only this particular room that she actually thought of as home. Sure there was her father’s hall in which she had grown up as a girl but that was a long time ago and a whole other life that could have been but never was, it was within this house that they had begun their bid to seize the leadership of the Red Roses and she held a certain fondness towards it.
As her mistress set about making the arrangements for their departure Matheld placed the key into its lock and walked into the room her eyes automatically scanning the entire room and ceiling for any sign that anything had moved since she'd last entered. Finding the room as it was the last time she'd entered, she walks across the threadbare rug and retrieves the pack from beneath her bed, an identical pack containing both clothes and money in every residence in which she stayed as a precaution just in case she ever had to leave quickly.
Without checking the packs contents, knowing that it was as she had left it she slings it over her shoulder along with her travelling cloak, the tools of her trade already upon her person meaning she only had one remaining item to retrieve. Counting quietly under breath she strides across the room before seemingly dropping to her knees at random to start running her hands across the boards before finding what she desired. Digging her nails into the putty masking the tiny hole in the wood she uses it to pry up a section of the floor, the tiny hinges oiled so as to make no sound as it revealed the small hollow constructed beneath.
She had no idea whether or not her mistress knew of this particular hiding place but she had kept several items of great importance within it over the years however only one item resided within it at the moment.
Pulling out the small slim Lysian dagger Matheld lovingly runs her fingers along the flat of the blade before secreting it upon her person and leaving the room after having replaced both the board and the putty, Busana had her ring, she had her knife, her first knife.

Joining her mistress on the front step moments after she herself had exited Matheld nods her head in understanding of her mistress’ instructions a wicked smile coming to her face "Poor Hardis... fancy him seeing both of us at the same time" Matheld had become just as demanding of her people as Busana was of her...well...maybe not that demanding but she was just psychotic enough for people to believe the threats she made.
With her plan laid out before her Matheld tucked her long golden braid beneath her hood before pulling over her head, gently adjusting the black leather patch over her eye as she spoke in reply "It sounds like a plan my mistress now let us depart whilst the night is still young"

DeletedUser31931

As the six men charged at Ben he quickly appraised the situation, this wasn't good, He had managed to break the shield wall, however, it had descended into melee combat where his men were severely outnumbered. He drew his sword and about two seconds before the six men reached them, he charged. He ducked under the first sword as the two other men entered the fray seconds later and together they acted with years of experience, one of them got in close where their longsword were of no use whilst the other flanked and slashed two of the men in the back. Four to go. Ben sidestepped a sword and ran his sword through and a man. He pulled his sword out and turn to face the next three men, ducking under the first sword he rolled forward and kicked one in the chest. The other two with Ben quickly moved and stabbed him. Turning all three of the men on Ben's side (including Ben) charged. Ben dealt a blow to the first man's sword arm and he collapsed whilst the other two of Ben's men spun round and the man, torn between which person to hit, was struck by both and then forced to the ground and killed. Having finished this short skirmish Ben had no injuries on his chest and head, his armour having saved his chest however he had one slight cut on the front of his leg. Turning round he motioned for them to charge the remnants of the shield wall before shouting "Everyone dismount." Even if Jaime's lot didn't hear it the cavalry from Ben's side certainly did and swung off their horses, letting their horses flee the village, knowing they were well trained enough to come back later. Then, Ben and the three others charged into the melee.

DeletedUser

'That's what I am told,' was Brynjolf's only reply when asked if he could speak to animals. He had spent so much time around the beasts of the wild that he was beginning to wonder if he really could talk to them. Sometimes his relationship with the wild was so close that he thought it was entirely possible.

'I will stay out here,' he added when the other men spoke of going to the village. 'I will find somewhere to rest a moment and see to my wound. I will join you again when you leave.'

In truth the events with the other Chasind had shaken him and the last thing he wanted was more civilisation.

Deleted User - 819397

As they approached the village, Brynjolf said he wasn't going in, and needed to treat his wound. He thought about helping the Chasind, as he knew something of herblore, but refrained from doing so, as the man was an accomplished woodsman and might take offense to his offer of help. Instead, he accompanied the pair into the village. Looking around, he grunted. "Been a while since I've been in a hamlet." He let the others lead the way, lost in thought.

DeletedUser

Galen nodded at Cesare, then the Chasind stated that he would stay outside the village.
Fair enough.
Signaling to the alchemist to follow him, Galen moved into the centre of the village, peasants milled about, carrying woven wooden baskets and armfuls of crops.
A small group of market stalls stood lonesome, two selling food, one selling bits of clothing, and the other a tinker selling various metal implements, chiefly farming pieces and domestic fixtures, but with a couple of weapons as well.
Galen moved over to the tinker, who was a short, slim, balding man,
"Anythin' I can do fer yer?" He asked as the pair approached.
"Where's the village reeve?" Galen demanded.
The tinker thought for a moment before replying; "I think he's over by Maggin's field, it's that way." He responded, pointing down a small track at the other end of the village square.
Galen nodded before moving off down the lane.

DeletedUser28032

Cesare
"Very well but be sure to come and find us before nightfall it isn't safe to be alone in the wilds at night" Cesare cautioned Brynjolf as Galen and Drake went in search of the village reeve, though he somehow figured the advice wasn't needed. The Chasind always tended to be somewhat more resilient than their free folk cousins and so would most likely be alright by himself.
Leaving Brynjolf to tend to his wounds Cesare makes his way over to the small group of stalls at the centre of the village to see what food he could get using the few coins within his pocket. Had he realised that his sister would disappear and he would have to fund a rescue party he would have endeavoured to have brought more gold with him to Cytringham but as it was what he had on him would have to suffice.
---------------------------------------------------
The Reeve
Stood at the edge of what the locals called Maggin's field the reeve leaned against a nearby tree and watched as the aforementioned Maggin and his two lads set about picking the vegetables they would need for the nights meal.
A tall gaunt man the reeve cautiously eyed the two armed newcomers, Drakes ornate armour instantly catching his eye as he approached denoting him as the obvious leader out of the two of them "Evenin' m'lord what can I being doing to assist you?" he asked Drake more than aware that it was not uncommon for strangers to turn out to be raiders out to rob the tiny settlement even if Cytringham's garrison was only a short ride away, some would be foolish enough to try it anyway.
-------------------------------------------------------
(OOC: Trained horses in the dark ages? :laugh:)
Jaime
The horse screamed as the giant war axe cleaved through its neck; the raven helmed warlord laughing as its rider trapped and entangled beneath his horse and its riding gear staring up at him in horror moments before he drove the same axe between his eyes ending his life in a heartbeat.
After the initial shock of the charge had worn off Jaime had led two more charges scattering the raiders even further before having his men dismount and fight on foot his blade now drenched in blood as he and his remaining men locked their shields together in an attempt to hold off the horde of raiders before them.

Watching as a red bearded raider in mail came at him with a boar spear, Jaime caught a brief flash of movement from out of the corner of his eye before feeling the wet splash of blood upon his cheek as the white fletched arrow sprouted from the bearded mans jugular as several more such arrows began to rain from the sky “By the gods whose shooting them?”.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Shadowy figures
There were perhaps only eight of them as they raced across the fields towards the embattled village pausing only to loose another arrow into the mass of men at an alarming rate.
Dressed from head to toe in loose fitting clothing with their faces covered by cloth masks and hoods the group of shadowy figures showed no fear of the raiders before them as a group detached themselves form the fight against the mercenaries to deal with approaching archers.
As if hearing a silent signal the mysterious archers stop as one of their number draws its sword to face off against the six heavily armed and armoured warriors charging towards it.
Deftly sidestepping the first man the shadows blade severs the warriors head from his shoulders with a single backswing continuing the motion into a graceful pirouette before removing a second mans arm then reversing the blade to thrust the tip through the third mans chest as he came up from behind.
Having seen three of their number fell within some many seconds the remaining warriors approach with more caution only to have their blows turned aside with apparent ease before falling to the shadows blade which in a single graceful motion is returned to its scabbard upon the fights conclusion, with six dead and maimed men laid at its feet.
Upon seeing their leader victorious the rest of group silently draw their bows and silently continue the night’s bloody work.

DeletedUser

"We're looking for somewhere to stay for the night." Galen replied as the stopped several feet in front of the reeve. "There are three of us in total, we'd sleep in Cytringham but situations have arisen that prevent us from doing so."
The rasping tone of Galen's voice, in addition to his and Drake's arnaments, and the obvious message that they were wanted by the Cytringham authorities should have been enough to scare the reeve into putting them up for the night, and hopefully not betraying them to Cytringham's garrison.

DeletedUser

Brynjolf left the others just outside the town. He bristled slightly at the comment about the wilds being dangerous at night but he said nothing.

He lived the wilds every day, he had hunted with wolves and slept in bear caves. The wilds held no danger for someone who was part of them. The settlements on the other hand, they frightened him. It was there he was attacked for no reason.

First Brynjolf found a spot where he could stitch his wound and pack it with mud and cleaning herbs. Then he hunted a rabbit and found a place high in a tree top where he could eat his raw kill and watch the settlement gates while remaining hidden. Eventually he would fall asleep but he had positioned himself so that there was no fear of falling.

DeletedUser28032

Reeve
The elderly reeve regarded Galen with confused interest after he rather than the elaborately armoured lord answered his question, figuring him to be some form of steward, his lack of armour causing him to disregard both guardsman and master of arms the reeve merely shrugged his shoulders before speaking further "Well I have a room in which your lordship could spend the night..." he said to Drake bowing his head slightly as a mark of respect "...its not much but its warm and dry, as for your retainers well I am sure Maggin would be more than happy to put them up in the cattle byre for the night...we can also offer you all a little something to eat as well if you like?" he was a little unsure as to whether or not his guests would appreciate the rather basic peasant food on offer but felt it was only polite to ask besides which any coin he could get as payment from such an obviously wealthy man would be most welcome.
"Other than somewhere to stay the night is there anything else you will be needing?" he asked looking from one to the other unsure as to which one would answer him.

DeletedUser31931

Ben saw the arrows rain down, and the figures approaching, praying that they were on his side he thanked the gods as they attacked the raiders. It appeared they were stepping in to help, for now. With a war cry he (using his earth magic) grabbed a chunk of stone from a wall of a house and threw it through several men, creating a gap, the effort, however, had tired him, he wouldn't be able to use magic again today. So he drew he sword and charged into the melee with the others. Ducking under swings and hacking and slashing, and as the raiders began to get pressed from both sides they began to panic. As more arrows rained down killing more raiders Ben and his men pressed forward, Jaime on the other side having been held to a standstill. Then slowly, the first raider began to turn and flee down a side-street. With a shout Ben's men pressed forward, it appears that they might win this battle after all.