The Sentinels: Sleeping Giants

DeletedUser

Galen stood, silent as Drake told them in hushed tones that they were being rumbled by the reeve, who was riding out to get Cytringham's garrison.
"Are you sure? what exactly did she say because I could have sworn we saw the reeve outside but a few moments ago"
"It might not be the reeve, he might have a son, it would be more logical to send him whilst the reeve keeps us here." Galen said in a hushed tone, made all the more sinister by his mouthguard.
"We need to move. And we need to move now." He concluded, his hands resting on the handles of the daggers strapped to his thighs.

DeletedUser28032

Jody
The instructions had been simple; go to Cytringham, tell one of the Eorls that there were bandits within their village and then come back with the soldiers; nothing had been said about someone lurking in the trees waiting for him.
The figure had darted out from the pitch black forest to startle the pony upon which he rode, his hands gripping tightly onto the reins in an attempt to keep himself upon its back as it reared in fright.
As the pony settled the shadowy figure making soft cooing sounds Jody frantically searched the surrounding area for any sign of help before speaking to the figure in a quivering voice "I...I...haven't any valuables....please...d..don't hurt me"
---------------------------------------------------
Cesare
"Take your hands off of those" Cesare hissed in a low voice to the thief as he reached for his knives "I am not about to murder the man and his wife over your paranoia!" taking a deep breath he quickly examined his options as the woman quietly began to sing in the next room, the smell of warm stew gently wafting into the tiny room "Ok...we don't know for certain that he has sent anybody and if we suddenly burst out of here like a bunch of armed thugs we're just as liable to cause trouble than if we don't...how do we even know that the girl is to be trusted?"
----------------------------------------------------
Jaime
"Its all quiet out here m'lord" the sentry replied with a nod as he leant upon his spear leaving Ben to carry on walking.
He had only gone a few paces when Jaime materialised out of the shadows "I don't wish to alarm you but I think I heard something coming from the other end of the building" he spoke in hushed tones so as not to wake the men "I don't want to wake the men unless I am sure but..." Jaime left the rest unsaid hoping that Ben would get the idea as he quietly moved away to investigate the southern end of the temple.
Despite the deep black shadows covering the buildings interior, he could still make out the worn and weathered carvings upon the walls of men and warriors all bearing the same symbol upon them as they acting out their silent parts.
Upon seeing the symbols Ben would recognises them as being the one that his friend Mark had worn all those many years ago, however Jaime has little time to dwell on the carvings as he catches sight of a hulking figure hiding within the shadows.
"Who goes there show yourself!" Jaime calls drawing his sword, the figure suddenly bursting out from the shadows as it came towards them causing Jaime to gasp in shock. The man was huge easily towering over both men and twice as broad, its ugly, scarred face snarling at them as lumbered towards them with giant hammer grasped within its great paws.
Jaime wore no armour or shield having removed them for the night yet even with them feared they would be no protection against the brutes hammer. Preparing himself for what he feared would be his final fight he barely heard the tiny voice coming from out of the shadows "Lothar stop...there is no need for that I am quite safe" the hulking giant comes to a sudden stop as it looks over its shoulder at the small girl as she walks from out of the shadows to stand beside it.
Small and incredibly frail looking the girl could be no more than perhaps twelve, her long black hair flowing around her shoulders as two sightless eyes seem to bore into Jaime with an unerring accuracy "Where is Ben? I have much to tell him"

Deleted User - 819397

Drake scowled as Galen flared up at his accusation, and only deepened when Cesare questioned his word. He was glad that the expression was hidden by his helmet...despite the fact he hated the inability to remove the heavy gear, there were upsides to it. It was very difficult to read the man...only those who could read body language, or get a good glimpse at his eyes could judge his true feelings.

"Look," he growled. "The girl came in and said her father called us all 'bad men'. I did my best to explain that we weren't here to cause trouble and by extension weren't bad people, but she insisted. She said, 'no, you're bad men...that's why my Papa told Jody he had to ride the pony.' She said it without hesitation. Someone that young can't lie that convincingly on the spot...at least, not one who has a loving family." He hoped that would be enough to convince the men to move...otherwise he'd go by himself to find Brynjolf...he wasn't getting clapped in irons...that would involve taking off his armor, which he couldn't risk.

DeletedUser

'Shush lad,' Brynjolf snapped. He hadn't intended on it coming out harsh but he realised that it did. He wasn't good with people. The pony on the other hand was calming nicely so he stroked its nose and pulled some sweet leaves from his pockets for it to munch on.
'I don't mean you no harm.' he continued to the boy. 'I just want to know what your doing out so late and alone. It isn't safe and there is worse than me creeping around out here.'

DeletedUser

"Cesare," Galen hissed. "We can't afford to take chances. You take chances, you rely on luck, you rely on luck, you end up drifting, no food, no money and no weapons. We have to assume that the reeve has sent out someone, be it him or someone else. We have to get out of here now." He snarled, his hands unflinchingly resting on the handles of his knives.
This had quickly deteriorated into a tricky situation, the only safe way was to leg it.

DeletedUser28032

Jody
The boy hesitated not quite believing the mans claim of not wanting to harm him however knowing that time was of the essence decided to risk telling the man what he knew in order for him to escape his clutches and carry on with his journey "I...I am going into the city to find the Eorl...there are bandits within our village" he explained his voice barely louder than a whisper as he sat upon his pony cowed by the mans presence "Can...Can I go now?"
-------------------------------------
Cesare
They were right, he knew they were but the prospect of fleeing the village and damaging his honour was galling to him. Looking about the room as if he would find the solution to their problem hiding within the corner of the room Cesare suddenly lashes out kicking a sack of grain but whirling round to look at the others with a look of irritation on his face "Fine!, so be it but there is to be know bloodshed, the man that kills tonight faces me in the morning understood?" despite having lost his arm Cesare was still a skilled swordsman and more than slaying any man in a duel should the need a rise.
Grabbing his things he quickly packs his bag before pushing open the curtain to stride into the next room with his two cohorts close behind him.
Seeing the three men with packs on their bags and travelling cloaks on the reeves wife is momentarily confused as she looks at them "Are you leaving us?...I...I thought you were staying the night?" throwing an irritated look over his shoulder at the others Cesare smiles apologetically at the woman before speaking "I am afraid so my lady, my colleagues feel that we should carry on with our journey and waste no time in doing so"
"Are you sure you won't reconsider? the roads are extremely dangerous within these parts...could you at least stay and have something to eat the stew is nearly ready and I'd hate to see you leave unfed"

DeletedUser

'Bandits?' Brynjolf replied. His bad feeling was growing with every word. 'There is a man in your village. A man in heavy armour covered in gems. Is he wrapped up in this little problem by any chance?' Brynjolf was careful not to betray if he considered the man a friend or enemy. He had no idea which way the boy saw it and if he mentioned the wrong thing he might cause all kinds of problems. He really did hate dealing with people. It was always so messy. He just thanked the spirits that the boys fear meant he wasn't thinking straight and that made it easier to read him.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31931

Ben had followed Jaime through the camp but had stumbled and was about five seconds behind, he heard Jaime and as he went to draw his sword he heard the little girl. He took his hand off his sword hilt and stepped round the corner. "Who are you?" he asked. He looked round the temple and realised the markings. "You are a priest. Can you cure for my ailment? What do you know that I need to know?" The girl obviously had prophetic sight so maybe she would know of what he spoke. Jaime knew Ben was injured, and supporting himself with magic but Jaime had no idea as to the full extent of his injury and Ben hoped to keep it that way, he did not want the men realising how weak he really was with this injury. Even if only Jaime knew, word would get around, the men would end up considering Ben cursed, and they would leave. He could not afford to let that happen.

DeletedUser

"Are you sure you won't reconsider? the roads are extremely dangerous within these parts...could you at least stay and have something to eat the stew is nearly ready and I'd hate to see you leave unfed"
"Yes, we are sure." Galen replied coldly, walking straight past the Reeve and his family, Galen moved out of the door and onto the dirt track outside.
Now they had to get out of teh village, get Brynjolf and leg it away from Cytringham as fast as they could.

DeletedUser28032

Cesare
Slowly shaking his head in disbelief over his friends actions he smiled apologetically at the bewildered woman as he spoke "I am afraid not, we have a long way to go and little time in which to do it in though please pass on my regards to your husband when he returns" it was as he was ducking through the low doorway that he heard the young girl saying goodbye to Drake and waving her hand in a childlike manner, the armoured man obviously having made an impression on her.
"Galen go and find Brynjolf and tell him what’s happening, Drake and myself are going to head down the road and find somewhere to camp" although he felt it was a bit remiss of him to walk out on a mans hospitality he decided it was probably for the best if what the others suspected turned out to be true.
----------------------------------
Jody
"I...I don't know...yes I think so...I...I really have to go now I am sorry" the boy spoke with as much bravery as he could muster before spurring the pony on, the Chasind finding himself having to smartly step aside to avoid having his feet being crushed and trampled by the animal as it rapidly began moving down the road towards the city.
----------------------------------
The Oracle
"No Ben I am not a priestess...those that once worshipped here are long gone and I serve gods far older than any that reside within these lands" moving to stand beside the giant; Lothar she gently pats the mans elbow her touch seeming to settle him as he props his hammer against one of large booted feet, a good natured growl like that of a contented cat escaping his throat as he does so "as for your...condition that will be healed by one already known to you but thought to be lost to you” she spoke softly in a voice that barely travelled across the darkness to the two warriors both seemingly in thrall of the young girl before them.
Directing her sightless gaze towards Ben, pale blue eyes only just visible within the darkness locked with his as she spoke "Listen to me closely Ben Andrews for the mists of time and fate have parted before me to reveal a glimpse of what is to pass, has passed and may never pass...you are to find the one that the one that will save us. Wreathed in gold and with single eye watching over her she will stand before you as a friend, she is the one that will deliver the key that will awaken the sleeping giant and save this land from those that have taken it from us. Many will perish both friend and foe alike whilst on this journey and old bonds will be shattered to make way for the new this is not an easy task Ben Andrews but one that is yours to take none the less"

Deleted User - 819397

Drake said nothing as Galen rudely left the house, leaving Cesare to explain it away. The thief was going to alienate everyone they met with his attitude. As Cesare made his excuses, the alchemist heard the young girl behind him, saying goodbye. Smiling underneath his helmet, he turned and knelt. He hesitated, then said in a voice only she could hear, "Your father may be right...perhaps we are bad men, but just don't know it yet. Trust him to keep you safe...he may seem like he's not letting you have any fun once you get older, but he's just keeping the bad men away from you, ok?" He was about to say more, then realized that Cesare was about done talking and quickly returned to his former position, not wanting to get the girl in trouble for talking to him, or be wrongfully accused of saying something uncouth to her. The smile under his armor was still there, but sad. The child had opened old memories...memories from far before his curse, back when his future was still bright. Before he'd left his home, seeking to do good in the world and perhaps find his fortune. With luck the girl would have a better future than he had now...he wouldn't wish his condition on anyone in the world.

Cesare gave orders to Galen and Drake, having the thief go find Brynjolf and the alchemist go with him to find a place to camp. After Galen was out of earshot, Drake spoke up. "It may not be my place to say this, as you and Galen obviously go back a ways, but the man ruined our chances of ending the night peacefully with his manner. I didn't speak up because I'm not good with people, but even I can do better than that." He hesitated for a moment, then decided to go for it. "I thought you Sentinels were supposed to be better than that."

DeletedUser31931

Ben listened as the Oracle delivered her prophecy. She had said a sleeping giant, was that a metaphor or a literal giant. Then he thought about the she, standing before Ben as a friend. "Do you mean Kaella?" he asked "Is she the one who will save this land? Isn't she dead? I heard she was at Rithe Halla when it was taken. Surely she would not have survived that." Then he considered what she had said about his condition and he said "Surely you do not mean...." he faltered, it still pained him to say her name, he still blamed himself for what had happen all those years ago "Isolla is alive?" his voice was hoarse. That he might have succeeded in his duty to protect the princess was a weight of his shoulders. "Jaime, leave us, check out with the sentries and then go back to sleep, I have much I need to discuss in private with the Oracle."

DeletedUser

Brynjolf watched the boy go. He made no effort to stop him. He seemed like a genuine lad with no malice and if he thought there was danger in the town then there likely was.

With that in mind and knowing he owed Drake for his help, Brynjolf quickly headed for the town walls. He had no idea what he was to find but if the others were in trouble then his swords may be needed.

DeletedUser

Galen began to sprint down the dirt track, heading for where they'd left Brynjolf.
He had to find the Chasind, he might be able to stop the boy heading to Cytringham.
He ran through the village square, now deserted as the moon shone in the night sky.
Heading out of the village, Galen arrived at where Brynjolf had parted ways with them. He wasn't there.
Galen shouted out the Chasind's name, they needed to get out of here, and if Brynjolf got lost, then Galen wasn't one for search parties.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28032

Cesare
Giving a weary sigh in response to the alchemists rather valid complaint over Galen he began to speak quietly to the man as they trudged through the oppressive darkness leaving the comfort of the village far behind them "It is true that Galen and myself go back to before the war though we were never really friends more... comrades in arms with need of our respective skills" he quietly considers his relationship with the thief as they carry on down the dirt track and their brief time together both before and during the war before continuing "Despite his manner I trust him and that is a rare commodity these days" purposefully keeping the pace slow so as to allow the others a chance to catch up with them despite the threat of enemy soldiers it takes several seconds for Drakes final comment to sink in; Sentinels...he referred to us as Sentinels.
Stopping dead in his tracks he turns to look at the other man suddenly suspicious of him, his hand slowly inching towards the sword on his belt as he spoke "How do you know of the Sentinels and more importantly how did you know that Galen was amongst their number?" five years ago the Sentinels had been relatively unknown; a collection of old men with nothing but their past deeds to keep them warm at night and an even smaller collection initiates with little knowledge of the orders past glory.
These days however the Sentinels were nothing more than a children’s story; the deeds of a long extinct and mostly forgotten order lost to the mists of time.
--------------------------------------------
Jaime
Turning to look at Ben, Jaime momentarily considers defying his command, wanting to stay and listen to what the girl had to say and willing to use the threat of the hulking giant before them as an excuse to stay and defend his master.
However duty wins out in the end as he returns his sword to its scabbard and gives a single nod in agreement only to ask a single question of the small girl before finally leaving "Tell me what do you see of my future?" upon hearing the question asked of her a smile appears on her face before once again speaking her barely audible voice "A dangerous question to ask Jaime D'Orsay...a dangerous question indeed" closing her eyes she stands as still as a statue for what seemed an eternity to the young warrior before she finally opens them again "I see a great betrayal in your life Jaime D'Orsay...a betrayal that will lead to your downfall" it was with these horrifying words still ringing within his ears that Jaime turns and hurriedly leaves to carry out Bens orders though he knows full well that there would be no sleep for him this night
---------------------------------------------
The Oracle
With Jaime no longer within the large shadowy room the oracle turns her attention once again upon Ben her eyes finding his despite her apparent blindness "So Ben Andrews...what is it you wish to speak with me about?"

Deleted User - 819397

Drake chuckled for a couple seconds, then suddenly a full laugh burst from him, armor clanking as he shook his head. "Peace, peace. I'm a bit of a mystery aficionado. I looked at the strange things going on over the years, did my best to match them to all sort of explanations. The Sentinels were something that came up often, and despite them supposedly being a myth I looked into it. Eventually I found that the same descriptions came up often. A thief, an assassin and her apprentice, a fierce leader, also female, though some older stories had a male head...as I got common threads in the stories I started hunting for specific people who always seemed to show up where something interesting was happening, trying to match them to what I knew about their description. Galen was one of the first I found...a thief with a lack of morals some places, yet impeccable morals where things truly matter...that quality is rare. Once I knew where a Sentinel was, I did my best to follow the news and track their whereabouts, attempting to confirm my suspicions about them. Some were correct, others wrong, but I do have somewhat decent tabs on several of you. You might be proud to know that you did a good job at hiding...only ever caught a couple stories about you, and I hadn't yet entertained the possibility that you were a Sentinel. If you want, we can go back to the city and I'll show you the map I used to follow you." He shrugged. "I didn't figure you'd have that strong of a reaction. It took some doing, but I hate a mystery I can't solve."

DeletedUser31931

"Is Isolla alive? Also, even if you can not cure my condition.... Is there anyway you could ease the pain. It has drained my magic so much. Where do you need me to go? What should I do? Am I a good leader? Was what I did at the village earlier this night the right thing to do?" These questions had pained Ben for an eternity. He had often wondered about Isolla, and he hated himself for loosing her. He had thought she had died. However, it appeared she may have survived.

DeletedUser

Brynjolf watched Galen storm down the track shouting for him. For a moment he considered not presenting himself. He didn't know how to take the man and he couldn't see either of the others. That said, it was possible there was trouble and Brynjolf was not one to hide if people needed him.

'I'm here,' he shouted as he emerged from behind a tree. 'What's all the yellin' about? We in trouble?'

Brynjolf decided not to mention the boy until he knew the full story. He didn't like the idea that Galen would mean the lad harm but it was something he had to consider.

DeletedUser

Galen skidded to a halt as Brynjolf stepped out from behind cover.
"I'm here, What's all the yellin' about? We in trouble?"
"Yeah." Galen started. "Have you seen a kid come this way on a pony? The village reeve is reporting us to Cytringham, we need to get out now." He said, anxiously looking around for any sign of a boy on a horse.

DeletedUser

Brynjolf listened to Galen and debated mentioning his talk with the boy but decided that he didn't need to share the whole truth. After all, there was no way to change things now and he still had no clue about the man he was speaking with.

'The boy passed not too long ago. We will have time to move before he can return with support. Where are the others?'