The Key and the Gate

DeletedUser13682

When had Johnathan entered upstate Maine? This place didn’t seem like it came straight out of a Lovecraft story. The cemetery probably fit in better with the Tommyknockers than the Statement of Randolph Carter. That still didn’t make it a bad place; Johnathan loved the feel of it. It just wasn’t quite what he was expecting. Despite the mausoleum being in the center of the cemetery, it was the ruins of a small church that drew Johnathan’s attention. He went over to explore it, but there was nothing left to be seen but the outline of the walls. The hint of bright stained glass in the walls left only the imagination to fill in the frames with what must have once been spectacular works of art. The headstones bore the names of quite a few Americans and British, including the Jacqueline Fine that started Johnathan on this whole trip. One headstone, however, stood out. It was that of Dr. Jacob Stone, a lone name amongst several families of occupants. Considering the time period, it was possible that he was a trusted family doctor who was honored by being buried with the family he helped to treat. The mausoleum, Johnathan’s last destination, was behind a lock and chain. Though he had been forced to break into places in the past, he wasn’t willing to do so just to satiate some personal curiosity. With his respects paid, Johnathan headed back to his truck. He still had to get a bit of sleep in before his shift at the plant.

Deleted User - 819397

"No, no no no no no…" Zani muttered as the girl started screaming. "I can't…I don't have…I need to…I didn't…" she tried, her mind still spinning in place more than anything. The cleaner didn't seem intent on moving or stopping her shriek anytime soon, and the librarian NEEDED to move without being impeded. "I…I'm sorry…I'm sorry..." she managed before whipping her taser out and zapping the poor girl. She kept it there long enough to ensure she wouldn't be a problem anymore, and a couple extra seconds for good measure. Then she stepped away, apologizing all the while. This was going from abysmal to even worse, though she couldn't imagine it managing that feat anymore at this point. Still completely not herself, she continued toward the exit, hoping to the gods her car was available for an escape.

DeletedUser28032

Zani
There was a momentary flash of terror in the girl’s eyes before they rolled back into her skull as she fell forwards; the girl very nearly sending them both sprawling onto the carpet in a heap with Zani only just managing to lower the girls dead weight to the floor without falling over herself.
Sometime during her run in with the unfortunate cleaner the sirens had stopped, but thankfully nobody else had entered the corridor to witness her attacking the girl. A ping from behind however told that this wouldn’t be the case for long as the lift slowly started ascending from a lower level to her floor.
With the decision now made for her Zani was forced to take the stairs down the underground car park where she’d left her car. At least it should be quiet down there at this time of night...assuming of course that the police weren’t at her car waiting for her.
------------------------
Nia
“Now if we knew what it did then we wouldn’t be requiring your assistance now would we?” he replied with a smile as Nia stammered incoherently before him “we have managed to reassemble what we feel are the core components and integrate them with a laptop in order to produce the code before you but other than that we have no idea what it does, only that whoever originally built was a genius and far beyond their time” he explained pausing to take a sip of his drink before continuing “the pair of you would work within the workspace we have set up, anything you require shall be provided for you with expense being no obstacle though we will be expecting you to sign an ND document before you see the actual device...as for which war...well the cellar we found it in was in the Ukraine and the building above hadn’t been occupied in any real capacity since the turn of the century; the Russian revolution, World war one, World war two the Cold war take your pick all we know is that if the explosion that damaged the machine and much of the building hadn’t ripped a hole in the cellar floor we’d never have found it...so am I to assume that you are interested in accepting the project then?”
-----------------------
Boris
“Ok sir, I want you to remain very calm and listen to what I have to say; my colleague and I despite what Miss Swann, who is a very disturbed individual says, are police officers and the reason we have non-standard side arms is because our precinct has yet to receive the replacement weapons required to bring us into line with the rest of the state...now I am going to slowly reach into my breast pocket and retrieve my ID, ok?” the man with the speed of a man being covered by a gun slowly reached into his top pocket with thumb and finger only and remove what looked to be a police ID and held it out for Boris to take “call the precinct; the operator will have the number, and ask them whether I exist and to corroborate my story about the weapons...go on I promise you I won’t make any attempt to move” he said raising his hands above his head in the classic I surrender pose “I suggest you make the call sir, at the moment you are only looking at minor charges for assaulting an officers, charges that in light of the situation may be dropped entirely, that will not be the case if you start shooting people so I ask again, call the station and ask them about me”
----------------------------------------
Jonathan
As he left the small family cemetery Jonathan couldn’t help but feel that he was being watched; a cold breeze appearing from nowhere despite the sun shining above him. Despite this sense of unease the trip back to his car was uneventful and unlike the last time his vehicle was completely unharmed.
With Jackie waving goodbye from the doorway Jonathan left the house and went on his way with the feeling that something wasn’t quite right.

DeletedUser13682

There was something off with the environment. The air possessed that quality, a certain property that all air possessed if it contained an unseen observer. A phenomenon that caused the hairs on the back on one’s neck to rise up in protest and the eyes to dart around and draw larger than life humans and sinister weapons from every shadow and noise. This was not a new experience to Johnathan; he had been to several ports where he knew that he was being watched. There were some places where you weren’t allowed to travel alone and a few ports where you had to be in large groups. In some of these ports, you couldn’t trust anybody, not even children. Before solo travel was forbidden in one port, several sailors had to deal with having their wallets stolen, and one or two had to be treated for cut Achilles tendon. Young boys would offer to polish a sailor’s shoes. As soon as the foot was on box, out the knife would come out and be placed against the back of the ankle. Then the option: either give the kid your wallet or be unable to walk back. Johnathan didn’t think anything like that would happen here, but there was still a feeling of something sinister in the air. Fortunately, there wasn’t an incident to report as Johnathan made his way back to the truck. He returned Jackie’s wave and drove off to his house. He’d have a few hours to sleep before it was time to go make some power.

DeletedUser37114

Nia had to reign in her eagerness (adopting her best neutral face, which was pretty good, almost as good as the one her key used when it was hiding something) as their employer asked if they would take the job. Of course she wouldn't refuse the job, but John had told her more than once that jumping up and hugging an employer wasn't something she was supposed to do (Yada yada impropriety, yada yada stop giggling, yada yada just a job, he was so dull sometimes). Granted, the fact that they didn't know anything about the thing she was supposed to be analyzing or that code (Egyptian, Faerie, pictoglyphs...) helped to put a damper on her excitement, but still (Squeeeeeeeeeeeee!). This was going to be interesting. The rest, a nondisclosure agreement, a lab set up by whichever group this man represented, was pretty standard (for a company that wanted to keep these things secret), plus she even got a sort of answer to her question on which war, though the answer was fairly confusing (and not especially helpful, ah well). Russian Revolution would put this thing at almost a century old, far more than any computer should be, especially one that could interface at all with a modern laptop (which in itself was something of a miracle).

It was at that point that Nia realized that her neutral face she'd adopted when she'd tried to calm herself had fallen apart (whoops) into the blank, slightly slackjawed expression she had on when she was really lost in thought. Pulling herself back to reality (unfortunately, she needed to be aware of what was going on), she nodded at their employer and held her hand out to shake in acceptance, though not without a glance to John first (who'd remained unusually silent through this whole thing, she'd thought he might have some sort of "stop having fun" kind of remark or something, but apparently he didn't). She didn't think there was anything here that John would object to, but it didn't hurt to check (well, it might, but she'd probably be better off if she checked with her partner).

Deleted User - 819397

Zani hurried down the stairs, keeping an eye out for any officers who had decided to not take the elevator. If she encountered any, she'd either sneak past them if possible or taser then like she had with the girl (she still felt kinda bad about that one, the poor girl hadn't done anything in particular wrong). She really, really hoped her car was free…the amount of time she'd put into trying to get to it meant the odds of being able to get away using another method were low at this point…just needed to keep going, and hopefully figure out a way to FIX everything…not that it would be easy at this point…

DeletedUser31931

Something had flipped in Boris' brain. It was like his entire life had prepared him for this moment. The deep paranoia that had been a part of his eventual discharge from the armed forces (though his service record was too good and his seniors too kind for them to mention that) wasn't just some defect. As the man pulled out his ID, Boris scrutinized it. "I want the truth friend. The whole, unadulterated truth. From both sides." Boris raised his voice slightly. Not enough to carry outside, but enough for Cynthia to clearly hear. "Cynthia, I'd like you to come out of that bathroom and explain. Explain everything from the start. Then I'm going to make a decision on all of this. And yes, that may result in charges and yes I may end up being horribly wrong but I am fed up of having this thing." With Boris' spare hand he pulled out his key and showed it to the police officer, "Which despite any attempt, I can never lose." Boris, as an example threw it out of the window, and went to his pocket and there it was again. "I want answers. And right now, this seems like the best shot at answers that I've ever had." Remaining out of arms reach of the officer and keeping his gun trained on him with one hand, he moved over to the door to the apartment and closed it, ensuring their privacy in this situation. "So... Cynthia. I want you to come out of that bathroom, and I want you to tell me everything that you know. About this key, about yourself and why you're so sure that these aren't police officers."

DeletedUser28032

Zani
Managing to descend the staircase down to the underground parking lot without meeting anyone, Zani finds herself standing within the shadows that filled the cavernous space. Her car was only a short distance away; parked there more through chance than any kind of design though considering the mess she was in it was perhaps best not to knock what little good luck she had.
However before she had even taken a few steps a pair of policemen entered the parking lot; moving up and down the rows of parked cars in a methodical manner and although they hadn’t seen her or her car yet it was clear that they were definitely searching for something and it would only be a matter of time before they did.
Meanwhile a short distance to her left there was a doorway leading to the outside world through which she could leave with no sign of any cops sitting outside, though it would be debatable as to how wise it would be for her to wander the streets in a bloodstained blouse. It kind of all boiled down to whether she wanted to risk getting to her car before the police found either it or her, or whether she wanted to opt for taking the darkening streets and run for it.

Jonathan
Despite the feeling of being watched, the ride home was uneventful save for a van driver deciding that red stop lights didn’t apply to him, causing Jonathan to brake a little harder than he’d have liked under normal circumstances.
Arriving back home he found his home devoid of policemen and in the same state as he’d left it save for the piece of sterling board currently covering his broken window; a temporary measure until a glazer could be called in.
Stepping through his front door he was met with the smell of cigarette smoke and a voice speaking with the hint of a German accent “you just couldn’t let it drop could you? You had just had to keep digging” the voice said wearily, the end of his cigarette flaring in the darkness “Take a seat it seems we need to have a talk...and don’t even think of reaching for that piece your carrying if I’d wanted you dead then you’d be dead” the man calmly stated; the shape of a handgun could just about be made out resting within his lap.
The man would wait until Jonathan complied with his request before speaking again “my name is Eric Kessler, and what name do you go by these days?”

Boris
Nothing but silence came from the locked bathroom and the police officer despite his outwardly cool demeanour obviously felt that Boris was as mad as the woman inside was “OK sir, this has gone on long enough you need to put the weapon down and...” the man was cut off by the sound of the latch being clicked open and the girl stepping out.
She was of average height and looked to be slightly younger than Boris was; she had short, greasy purple hair in what may have once been a pixie cut with pale pasty skin highlighted by dark shadows around her bloodshot eyes. The moment Boris saw her there was a momentary flash of recognition despite having never seen her before and he instinctively knew that her natural hair colour would be a luxuriously dark chocolate.
Dressed in a cheap Wal-Mart T-shirt and a pair tracksuit bottoms that were at least one size too large for her Cynthia looked a pathetic sight as she tried her best to hide the plastic hospital bracelet on her wrist “I am not sure why I am coming out because you’re not going to believe me, you’ve already said you don’t believe me” the girl said meekly as she looked at the man she believed to be Dmitri as he pointed a gun at the man she believed to something other than a policeman “it used to be all so clear...I had it all worked out but...but they pumped me full of drugs and now...” Cynthia slowly raised her trembling hands to massage her temples, looking like someone who was either barely keeping it together or currently coming down from something “...we...we don’t belong here our pasts, our memories none of it is real it...it’s all fake check for yourself if you don’t believe me! As for the keys...don’t let them take it Dmitri, whatever you do don’t let them take it, you may think you can’t lose it but it can be taken and it hurts, really hurts...it’s like having a part of you ripped away, the key is important, don’t let them take it!” she said in a near hysterical voice and a desperate look in her eyes “as you can see sir she is not a well woman, she needs to go back and receive the care that she needs” the policeman spoke up causing Cynthia to give him a look of pure terror “I promise you she’ll be treated with the upmost care and I see no reason why you cannot be allowed to visit her and see this for yourself, but first you have to put. The gun. Down”

Nia
Realising that Nia was looking to him for permission, a welcome change from her usual method of jumping up and down excitedly, giggling and shouting this is going to be so much fun! John straightened himself up in his chair and made a show of considering the offer. Truth be told from what he’d seen he’d be a fool not to take the job, screw getting rich and starting a company this looked like a once in a lifetime opportunity, scientific breakthrough with Nobel prizes kind of deal, assuming of course that they could actually crack what ever code it was written in.
A typical nerd, John had managed to recognise some of the languages used and no doubt Nia being the brains of the outfit had recognised quite a bit more but even so this could prove a challenge that even she couldn’t crack….but then again “well…I’d like to have a read through of the ND agreement before we sign anything” he said giving Nia a look that said he could still remember the last bad contract she’d gotten them lumbered with because she’d gotten over excited and signed before he’d even read past the first line “…but, yes I think we’d like to take you up on your offer” allowing Nia to shake Mr. De’Ath’s hand before doing so himself; the man’s skin feeling strangely cool to the touch “Excellent, I’ll have my PA contact the pair of you in the morning to arrange transportation to the lab, oh and here is a copy of the ND agreement for you young man” he said cheerfully to the pair of them as he replaced the tablet with the legal document in question “…I will leave the two of you to read and sign that at your leisure and please feel free to order whatever you like on my tab…think of it as a sign of good will towards our new venture together” Shaking their hands once again Mr De’Ath retrieved his briefcase from where he’d left it and bid them a good night before leaving.
With both of the pens firmly within his possession John set to work reading through the fairly standard legal boilerplate within the document which seemed to boil don’t to; Don’t tell anyone, don’t tweet about it, don’t blog about it, don’t sell it, Don’t reproduce it, no phones, no camera’s, the item, and everything you learn about it is ours and if you break these rules we’ll sue you into the next millennium.
With this rather dull task completed John drains the last of his beer before holding out the cheap Bic biro he’d brought with him towards Nia “yeah it all looks pretty standard, no hidden clauses that are going to bite us in the ass…so I am happy to sign it if you are” he said with a grin “I don’t suppose you want take advantage of that tab do you?”

Deleted User - 819397

Zani managed to make it to the parking garage, and her car was nearby and thankfully unattended. She'd barely started for it, however, when a pair of policemen entered and began looking…undoubtably for her. Of course…nothing could be easy, could it? The people who had killed the artist and then went about ensuring she'd be framed had been confident she'd be caught…which meant, galling as it was, she couldn't risk the car. They'd be expecting her to go for it. She could always try, but then the cops would be in the way…and she wasn't willing to run them over to escape. No…the side door was the best bet. She'd have to avoid people, but she'd be harder to spot in the dark, as would the blood on her. Having made her decision, the librarian took off in that direction, hoping against hope this would be the last trial in her day…though she knew that she hadn't experienced anything yet…the worst would be once the shock of everything that had happened had worn off.

DeletedUser13682

"Hey! That's a red light, you..." What followed was a string of expletives that would make the more sensible native speakers of quite a few countries more than blush. Johnathan seemed to have bad luck with van drivers in general, Transit drivers in specific, though his first experience had been his worst; he had been driven right off the road and nearly into the side of a jewelry store. He hadn't actually run into it; his quick reactions had saved the day that time, but he still didn't trust van drivers and even lost a bit of faith in himself when he was the duty driver or on Safe Ride detail. But those feelings quickly passed and all was right with the world. Well it would be once he got that window replaced. He was tempted to do it himself, but the insurance would only cover the work if a contractor performed the job. Unfortunately, the contractor was taking their sweet time. Which meant higher air con bills. Johnathan could afford it; that wasn't the issue. The problem was that he'd rather not spend the money if he didn't want to. Besides, he liked doing his own work around the house, when the time allowed for it. So maybe Johnathan would just fix the window himself, if the contractor didn't show by his next extended leave. Unfortunately, all those thoughts were put out of his head by the smell of cigarette smoke. Why was there a lit cigarette in his house? Johnathan went to reach for the Bren Ten, but before his hand could reach the pistol, it was stopped by the order of the cigarette's owner, a German sounding fellow by the name of Kessler. Johnathan didn't know that until he sat down in his computer desk. "What do I go by these days?" he parroted back at the German. "Well, I guess the same as I've always gone by: Johnathan Kingsbury. But if you want something different, guess you can call me thrust." Johnathan shrugged as he rocked back and forth in his chair. "Look, Herr Kessler, I don't know what you want from me. If I'm right, you're connected to that Vanden Plas what carried the person who slashed my tire. Natural India rubber. Non vulcanized. And they have to be N spec. Porsche won't allow me to put non N spec tires on my Porsche and keep the insurance. But you're not here to give me an apology. Tell me; what was that thing I saw a few nights ago? I have a feeling you know what it is."

DeletedUser31931

(OOC: Post cleared with Braet)

A switch had flipped. That’s what he kept thinking. It was strange, despite his the circumstances surrounding him, he was surprisingly cool about the entire affair. Maybe the police officer was right, maybe he was mad. That would certainly justify the paranoia that was running through his brain right now. The paranoia throughout his entire life. He’d been honourably discharged from the military… on a medical basis. One interview with a therapist; that was all it had taken and all because he’d had post-mission jitters and had pulled a gun on someone. Two hours later and he had a report, labelling him with PTSD and severe paranoia. They didn’t know, none of them. They’d ignored him throughout his entire life. It’d started with his mother, he wouldn’t stop talking about the key, ranting about the key, he’d nicknamed it his “lucky key”. A sick and twisted joke on the fact that it haunted him. He always felt it there, in his combat jacket, his jeans as he lay in bed at night and now, during civilian life, its permanent presence never failed to leave him. He'd couldn't lose it. He'd tried to throw it away, he had. "Attachment issues." Is that what they call your hand seizing up as it's holding it over the bin? Even then, when it slips out your grasp and you scrabble desperately to find it in the trash and the rubbish because you can't bear the thought of losing it and your mum pulls it from her pocket a few days later and says she found it lying next to the rubbish bin? That hadn’t mattered to get into the military, he’d lied and forged his medical records, a task that hadn’t been easy but that had been made easier by some friends his mother had certainly disapproved of him associating with he’d entered the military and, for a while, it had been better. He could live with the key, the paranoia, he fuelled it into an inordinate anger at the enemy, an anger that drove him to be better, stronger, faster with quicker reactions and precision marksmanship. The key though, it wasn't normal... and it loved to remind him. It had followed him on a flight home from Iraq, sitting in the bullet wound of a hostage they had extracted. Paperwork didn’t care; a key could not disappear and then magically turn up. Luck existed. That was that. This wasn't luck though. But magic didn't exist, only insanity and the paranoid delusions of a spec ops officer who had been pushed to the brink serving on the front line of duty.

As Cynthia stepped out he observed her silently. The other officer was still unconscious and so as the first officer spoke to him he came to a decision. He had gone down the path of no return a long time past. Should he relinquish his weapon now… he was captured or, worse, dead. Muttering an apology under his breath in Russian he slammed the ammo chamber of the handgun (and his fist) into the head of the first officer, rendering him unconscious. Standing up, he nodded at Cynthia. “You’ve got nowhere else to go, so I assume you’re likely coming with me. Whatever mobile you called me on, leave it, there’s no way to know they can’t track it. The gun returned to its holster in his jacket and he briefly considered tying up both the policemen before deciding against it. “I’m going to trust you… because I think I know you and because what you said… sounds like the truth. The events of today may well have rendered me mad but it’s too late to turn back on that now.” He spoke to Cynthia, his tone authoritative as his military side took over, taking control of the situation as if he were barking instructions. “Now then, you won’t be needing that.” Boris reached over and snapped the bracelet in two on her wrist before throwing it away. “That should hopefully ensure we draw less attention. Now, wrap your arm around my waist and let’s go.” Waiting for the girl to do as instructed, he would return to his bike which was still intact and still where he had left it. Upon doing so he would get on it and tap the space behind him, indicating for Cynthia to get on. When she had done so, he would remove the chains that he had placed upon the motorbike and return them to their box in a practiced series of motions that took less than half a minute before backing the motorbike out of the space and turning the engine on, before driving out of the aging motel.

Boris did not return, however, to his apartment. It was compromised now, that much was certain. Instead, he decided to head out to one of his safe houses. The place was a one bedroom flat in the ‘ghetto’ of the city. Situated in a tower of concrete apartments it had cost next to nothing to purchase under a false identity and the local criminal syndicate ensured that the CCTV was never in a fit state. As Boris pulled up on his bike before the row of flats, he parked his bike in a hiding place he had discovered on his second visit in a small dug out section under a hedge where it would not be found by anyone who did not know that they were looking for. Leading Cynthia up several flights of stairs he selected a key from his key ring and opened the door.

There was no alarm fitted to the apartment but that had never particularly concerned him. He motioned to the bedroom, a small squalid thing that went led off from the sitting room/kitchen they were currently in; the apartment was sparse besides a sofa that had seen better days, a kitchen unit consisting of a stove and an oven and a well-stocked fridge. The bedroom was in a similar space with a bed and an en-suite bathroom which had a toilet, a shower, a sink and a cupboard that was stocked to the brim with medical supplies. Whatever this place was, it was apparently built to last the apocalypse or something. “You can take the bedroom; there should be some clothes in the wardrobe that are your size. I’d also recommend you get washed up and maybe get some rest. We’ll hole up here and, when the drugs clear out of your system, we can have a proper talk about what you know because I get the feeling that this spiral only goes deeper.” With that, Boris moved over and found a radio in one of the cupboards, plugging it into a wall socket he turned it on and tuned it to the local radio station. The news segment should be on in the next couple of minutes if he remembered the timings right, that would give him a good idea as to whether he’d become a big event or not. It was now simply a case of information gathering and trying to figure out where the next enemy was coming from. As far as he was concerned, he was deep in enemy territory and the situation could only get worse from here on out.

DeletedUser28032

Jonathon
Hearing his comment over his name a dry chuckling comes from the man opposite him, it was the kind of laugh that came from someone who’d spent far too many days smoking far too many cigarettes “If that makes you sleep better at night” he replied, stubbing out his cigarette on the underside of his boot and placing it onto the small side table next to his chair before moving on to the subject of Jonathon’s tyres “A necessary evil I am afraid...I needed to keep you away from the house whilst I dealt with your...visitor...I’d also hoped it’d make you stop digging though it would appear I was a little off the mark on that one” Kessler continued dryly before leaning across to switch on the lights.
Dressed in jeans, a T-shirt and a dark jacket Eric would’ve looked just like any other person on the street were it not for the heavy scarring down the left hand side of his face. To Jonathon it looked to be the result of some kind of explosion; his left ear was nothing but a stub of gristle and his eye was white and sightless unlike its piercing blue counterpart. That eye was the eye of a sniper or a bomb aimer; cold, calculating and utterly ruthless “Ironically this is actually a war wound unlike all of the others” he stated in a voice that said he was used to being asked about his hideous visage and so would get the questions out of the way himself to save time “...I was a soldier who had the misfortune of being too close to an artillery shell, these days people call me a Soldier of Fortune though I prefer to think of myself as a Hunter of things that should not be” he said laughing at the stupidity of what he’d just said, however the look in his one good eye, that cold bombardiers eye said that he was deadly serious about what he’d just said.
Once his death rattle of a laugh had subsided Eric gave the other man a contemplative look before speaking in accented English “Herr Kingsbury what you saw last night is very real and if you wish to remain in this world then tonight you and I need to kill it...so what do you say Herr Kingsbury? Care to hunt a thing that should not be?”

Boris
There had been a loud crack as metal had struck bone followed by a startled shriek from the young woman behind him. The policeman not expecting the sudden and unprovoked attack had been unable to defend himself and so had taken the full brunt of the blow on the side of his head before then collapsing in a heap beside his partner.
Listening to her saviours instructions Cynthia nodded her head mutely as if fearing the same treatment if she didn’t do as she was told. The woman quickly darted over to the bed to retrieve her handbag; a cheap blue canvas one that had no doubt been scrounged from a charity shop judging by the amount of wear on it; looping its threadbare strap over her shoulder as she hurriedly returned to him. With this single item retrieved she quickly follows his instructions and puts her arms about his waist and follows him downstairs to the waiting motorbike.

If the motel had been a dive then the only way that Cynthia could describe the neighbourhood that she was taken to was a slum “my god...this worse than the East End” she quietly muttered looking around at the drab graffiti covered concrete that was all around her.
With the lift plastered with the traditional Out of order signs and black and yellow chevron tape Cynthia followed Boris upstairs to a small single bedroom apartment where she was not only told that she could have the bed but that there should also be some clothes of her size in the wardrobe. It was hearing this last comment that prompted Cynthia to give Boris an extremely apprehensive look as she asked in a voice scarcely louder than a whisper “Boris...why do you have women’s clothing in your wardrobe?” the girl suddenly wondering whether she’d made an extremely bad error in judgement and had inadvertently leaped from one fire to another as her mind was filled by the image of her finding a wardrobe filled with nothing but lingerie and latex, and with a rather large and violent man waiting for her to get changed for playtime in a neighbourhood where nobody would hear you scream.

Zani
Stepping out onto a street thankfully devoid of waiting policemen, Zani begins walking in a random direction so as t get as far away from the hotel as she could before they realised that she was no longer inside.
The streets were sparse of people at this time of night which was probably just as well as she wasn’t liable to meet any good Samaritans around this part of town. As if to high light her situation Zani found herself being bombarded by her picture on the television screens within an electronics store; thankfully or perhaps unfortunately it was a good picture of her that had been taken during some kind of event at the library with Rachael’s arm still visible on her shoulders despite the rest of her having been cropped out with her happily smiling at the camera. Although there was no sound it was easy enough to imagine what was being said; Armed and dangerous, do not approach, call this number so on and so forth, all lies of course but not ones she could refute without being arrested.
It was a short while later that she came to the crossroad’s; to her left she could see the lights of a fancy Italian restaurant sat in amongst the more extravagant shops that the city had to offer, all of which were currently closed and with very few people wandering around in front of them. Meanwhile if she turned right she would eventually end up in the housing projects; a warren of concrete tower blocks, old warehouses and boarded up stores a perfect place for someone like her to disappear from off of the police radar for a few hours. Unfortunately it was also the perfect place for someone like her to wind up raped and murdered if she was unlucky. And then there was straight ahead to where she would eventually find the library and a part of town that she was far more familiar with and no doubt the first place that the police would check after her home address.
With her options laid out before her Zani would have until the lights turned green to make her decision and come up with a plan. She still had whatever was in her pockets along with the notebook that the artist had given her to help her. But one thing was for sure, she couldn’t stay on the streets forever if she wanted to remain free.

DeletedUser13682

"Now that is the laugh of a man who smokes two, no three packs of cigarettes per day, Herr Kessler," quiped Johnathan, while trying to search for a way out of this situation. He hadn't chosen very well, the seat would make getting his pistol in a quick manner slightly difficult, but there was always a way out. He wondered if Kessler had the balls to actually pull the trigger, though it was certain he was ballsy enough to claim the destruction of the Porsche's tire a necessary evil. "That's a load if I've ever heard one. Porsche sacrifice is never for the greater good. Also, once I start something, I finish it to the satisfaction of myself and my superiors. Can't stop, won't stop." As Johnathan said this, the invader switched on the table lamp, revealing a face whose left side had been torn up by something very big and moving very fast. It reminded Johnathan of an injury some poor sap had received when a steam powered pump tore its impeller apart and shot through the casing. The impeller had ripped his ear off and the steam had cooked his face. He was unfortunately medseped. He explained that it was actually from an artillery shell encountered during his mercenary days, though his self given title was a bit longer. Johnathan grabbed an empty coffee mug proudly showing the silhouette of a fast attack, the caption explaining how the owner of the mug enjoyed going down, and fiddled around with it while Kessler took the time to explain that the thing at the window was real, it was not supposed to be, and he wanted to enlist Johnathan's help in killing it. "Say again?" asked Johnathan, nearly dropping the mug for effect. "You damage my property, injure my car, break into my house, and hold me at gunpoint, and you expect me to go along with you and help you kill something that may not exist? Well, I guess I'm in. Yeah, I think there's something there, might as well take care of it. But, I really would like to know what it is, Herr Kessler."

DeletedUser31931

As Cynthia spoke, a sarcastic though couldn't help but run through Boris' mind. And here I thought I was supposed to be the one not trusting you... He fixed her with a stare that was probably slightly harder than he intended, the military man having never fully acclimatised to civilian life and how to properly interact with those not used to taking orders. "They're not women's clothes as much as they are fresh clothes. This is supposed to be a safe-house for all eventualities and that includes if I have allies. Also, all of the clothes in there make fairly good bandages." Cynthia would find in the closet a pair of tracksuit bottoms that were only slight too long for her in the leg but that fitted very well around her waist along with a shirt that fitted over her body which was comfortable and yet did not appear to be too loose. Finally there was a hoodie that, should she choose to wear it, was slightly too baggy for her causing it to puff out but it was, importantly, warm and ensured that she didn't feel the cold that almost imperceptibly permeated the atmosphere of the apartment. Whilst Cynthia was in the bedroom picking out clothes, Boris went over to the kitchen and hunted around in the freezer until he found what he was looking for. Finding the frozen sausages and bacon he pulled them out, running boiling water from the kettle over them briefly before putting them on the draining board at the side to defrost so that he and Cynthia would have something to eat that evening he dove into the cupboard and pulled out a bag of rice which joined the pile next to a thing of frozen peas. Having found his food he sat down on the sofa, waiting for Cynthia to return from the bedroom, mulling over his thoughts on the day so far.

DeletedUser37114

OoC: Apologies for how long this took. I have no excuse.

The man's hand was cool, which was odd to Nia (reminding her of fish again), but she didn't remark on it (which would have been rude and she didn't like to be rude, most of the time, at least). More importantly, John didn't have any objections other than wanting to see the legal papery stuff (zzzzzzzzzzzzz) and their new employer left after fetching his briefcase. Quickly, Nia found the dotted line on her copy of the NDA (which was... quite lifeless, typical for a legal agreement) and fumbled around for a pen before realizing that she didn't have one on her (freaking dresses and their lack of decent pockets). Realizing that John was probably the only one with a pen, she stared intently at him until he finally finished reading before she swiped the pen (a surprisingly happy little thing, probably just overjoyed at being put to work) he produced and she signed furiously on the dotted line before handing it back (it was really happy to see her go, too, maybe she shouldn't have been so hard on it...). John mentioned the tab (and that their employer was paying) and Nia realized how hungry she was, flagging down a waiter before telling him, "Steak, well done," (she'd had enough fish for an even day and then some) and watching John without paying attention to whatever he was ordering. The food arrived after a short eternity and Nia dug in, enjoying the tasty beef (thankfully nothing like fish) and thinking more about the code she'd been shown. She had half a dozen ideas that she wanted to try, but she wouldn't get to try until morning (she didn't have a photographic memory, there were limits on how perfect she could be, apparently)... The steak was soon gone and Nia sat and waited for John to finish (he was sooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooow), eager to get home and go to bed so that morning could come (seriously, sloooooooooooooooooooow) and she could start work on this new project.

Deleted User - 819397

This was insane…Zani couldn't accept this was real…her face, on TV, as a highly dangerous criminal…how had it come to this? What had this Jain Farstrider person done to warrant this kind of attack on anyone…and how the hell had they mistaken her of all people for their woman? She didn't know how she was going to get her life back to normal, but she was going to…she was determined in this regard. She still needed to figure out how, but there had to be a way…

This line of thought led Zani to a four way intersection. Ahead of her she knew would bring her to the library and surrounding areas…as much as she hated to, she immediately took that option away from herself…the cops would go there looking for her, and she doubted she could truly hide from them there. To the left there was a fancy Italian restaurant and a couple people wandering by closed shops, while to the right…a less safe area of town. She wanted to go left, she really did…but the way the blood was smeared on her she couldn't pass it off as spaghetti sauce, and she didn't think she could sneak to the restaurant's bathroom without being noticed either. Reluctantly, dreading the decision, she turned right, reaching for her taser. She had the knife too, but that was…too like what they were trying to make her out to be for her liking. Her only real hope was that the fact she was bloody and was carrying a similarly scarlet knife would be enough to dissuade any would-be attackers. Her goal was to find somewhere to bunker down and read the file the artist had given her…maybe it would help make some sense of at least some of her day…she would settle for any actual explanation at this point, something to ground her sense of reality again…

DeletedUser28032

Boris
Never before in her life had Cynthia been so relieved to hear that she would have to make do with wearing men’s clothing “Sorry...the drugs...they mess with my head” she said offering Boris an apologetic smile hoping that he’d buy the lie about her paranoia being a result of her medication “…I’d…erm… better go and wash up” she continued shyly before heading into the bedroom and closing the door behind her.
Finding that there was no lock on the door, Cynthia quickly pushes the room’s single chest of drawers in front of the door before then stripping naked and tossing the bundled up and rather grungy clothes into the bin. With the exception of her knickers which had come from the facility she’d escaped from they’d all been hand me downs stolen from a charity shop so losing them was no big loss. Stealing from a charity shop had not her finest hour admittedly but she’d been desperate and more than a little deserving charity in her opinion.
After having a long warm shower Cynthia felt decidedly more human if a little ridiculous wearing a pair of men’s boxers and deodorant with the large black hoodie she wore being baggy enough to hide the fact that she wasn’t wearing a bra; an article of clothing she’d been unable to acquire from her raid on the charity shop.
After returning the chest of drawers to its original position Cynthia walks back into the main part of the apartment offering Dmitri, no, Boris a rather shy smile before moving to sit in one of the armchairs; tucking her legs beneath herself in that way that only girls seemed able to do “Thank you for the clothes…I…I also borrowed some of your hair gel, I hope you don’t mind” she said, her previously lank and greasy purple hair now spiked up. The combination of baggy men’s clothing and short spiky hair making her look more like a teenage boy than a girl in her twenties “Boris, I don’t want to be a bother but…could you take me shopping tomorrow? I could do with some…women’s things” she said asked rather sheepishly, unsure as to how he would react to her request and more than willing to compromise by writing him a detailed shopping list instead. Sitting within the chair Cynthia shifts a little uncomfortably as she became aware of the fact that she was currently sat within a strangers living room and wasn’t entirely sure what to say, eventually settling on the tried and tested question of “Is there anything I could do to help?” whilst Boris set about making them something to eat.
It was at this point that the small radio that he’d been listening to paused in its efforts to play every 80’s pop song known to man to do a local news reports; the main headline being that of the police’s hunt for a girl. Cynthia’s heart seemed to stop in her chest as she stared in horror at the radio only to relax seconds later when it transpired that the police weren’t looking for her but for some girl called Zani who had apparently brutally and savagely murdered her lover in a quote; impassioned rage, after he’d tried to end the relationship. The murder although tragic meant that her own story was relegated to missing and vulnerable woman meaning that it wouldn’t attract anywhere near as much attention as a result, though curiously no mention was made of the two policemen that had been attacked or of Boris.

Zani
After evaluating her options Zani began walking again past yet more shops that had been shut up for the night. It took her around twenty minutes to leave the fairly respectable high street and move into the area of McArthur Plaza with the shops and properties growing increasingly more rundown the nearer she got.
Built back when the general in question had still been considered an all American hero the area had been intended to affordable housing for the returning servicemen. However a combination of corruption and mismanagement saw the area rapidly fall into decay with the process sped along even quicker when the businesses within the industrial park adjacent to it moved to a more lucrative area taking many of the supporting businesses with it, leaving only the rundown apartments standing.
With a reputation for being unsafe after dark the poorly lit streets were unsurprisingly deserted as Zani wandered in and around the concrete apartment blocks with the majority of the shops she passed being either closed for the night or on a somewhat more permanent basis.
Across the street a gang of young men started to shout suggestions as to how she could spend her evening increasingly vulgar amounts of detail though thankfully they made no move to leave their spot outside the bar and chase after her.
So far her list of hideouts consisted of two dive bars, a strip club where she suspected the girls did more than just strip with two of the girls in question currently stood by a side door having a smoke, and a homeless shelter that had seen far better days. No doubt there were other options available to her but the trick was finding a place where they wouldn’t ask too many questions about why she was covered in blood and carrying a knife.

Nia
With the contract now signed the pair of them decided to take advantage of the pre-paid tab and ordered themselves a meal and a drink each with John opting for a rather nice pasta dish and a glass of Pepsi. Admittedly he would have preferred another beer or perhaps even a glass of wine to go with his meal but decided against it since he was the designated driver for the night.
They ate in relative silence with most of John’s attempts at small talk petering out rather quickly with the girl in front of him seemingly eager to be away from this place, which he couldn’t really blame her for as he still felt rather out of place in such glamorous surroundings himself “Come on I’ll drive you home” John said placing his knife and fork onto his plate once he’d finished deciding that neither of them were interested in staying for coffee and dessert.
After settling the bill; the suave Italian gentlemen assuring him that it would all be taken care of, John led Nia out of the restaurant and towards the parking lot where he’d left his car. With the exception of a young woman looking decidedly lost at the intersection the street was deserted meaning that it took them no time at all to reach the car.
Pulling out into the sparse late night traffic John tuned into one of the local stations in time to hear the news; the top story being that of the man hunt for a girl by the name of Zani who had murdered someone in a hotel not too far away from where they were now “Zani...why does that name sound familiar?” John asked, speaking more to himself than to Nia knowing that just because she was the only person in the car with him that it was no guarantee of a response as he knew that she was often lost in her own little world.
Once they arrived back her building he would walk her upstairs and then bid her a good night before going home, assuming of course that Nia didn’t invite inside to discuss the project that is.

Jonathon
“Would you prefer that I let the thing take you?” Eric asked as the Jonathon understandably asked why he should help a man that had damaged his house and car track down a creature that he scarcely believed was real.
Giving a weary sigh the scarred mercenary rubs his eyes with thumb and fore finger before speaking to him as if he was a rather slow child “Herr Kingsbury I damaged your car so as to give me the time necessary to return to your home and kill the creature before you could return...consequently the thing was already here and trying to get inside when I arrived and so all I managed was to drive it away...also had I realised that you were a part of a dying breed of men capable of changing a tyre I would have devised a different plan as I only just had enough time to inscribe the mark on your door before you came home” he said spreading his hands in a What can you do? Expression before pressing on with his other question “...as for what it is, take your pick...dig deep enough into any religion or mythology and you will find it though I have always preferred the term Nightgaunt...Now unless you have any other questions we have a creature to hunt” he said rising from out of the chair and pushing the gun back into its holster, clearly waiting for Jonathon to do the same so that they could get started with the nights activities.

DeletedUser37114

Thankfully, the meal was mostly free of annoying chatter, though John tried a couple times to distract her from her thinking-eating time (which was very important, and nobody seemed to ever understand this). Also thankfully, he didn't seem to want any dessert (which Nia normally would have indulged in, but... project... tomorrow...) and thus they were on their way in an almost tolerable amount of time. The car ride back home was undistracting as well, though John seemed tried for another conversationy-starty-thing (She knew the name, but it didn't ring enough of a bell for her to really care) after turning the radio to the news (who listens to the radio for news any more, anyway?) and hearing something that interested him. It didn't especially matter what was going on anyway, nothing to do with her and him (unless it did have something to do with them, of course, but John would tell her if that was the case). Home wasn't too far away, though, so John didn't get a chance to try again (thank goodness, he'd driven her for long distances before and the talking was sometimes just unbearable) before escorting her up the stairs to her room and telling her to have a good night (which she would, of course, he didn't need to give her any orders to make sure of that). He hesitated for a second, almost like he was expecting her to ask him to come inside (she trusted him in her apartment, but she wanted to sleep and him being there wouldn't help that), but Nia simply waved at him before quietly shutting the door and making sure that nobody had messed up her apartment while she was gone (again). Teeth, water, change of clothes, quick web surf (of course there wasn't anything there on this project, though there was some other... interesting stuff...), some meditation, and she was soon curled up under the covers and dreaming of numbers and ciphers and exciting new projects.

DeletedUser13682

The explaination wasn't the best; the only words given presented the oft told story of a meme echoed throughout the religions of the ages, and maybe called a nightgaunt. Lacking a bit of meat and potatoes there, lacking a bit of plate there as well. It was maybe a fork, or a spoon, possibly both. Definitely missing a knife. Despite this man having broken into his house, damaged his car, and vandalized his door, that nasty beastie was most likely real, and required removal. And maybe afterwards, Johnathan could ask this guy if he'd seen any visions that came with the monster's arrival, even if they didn't have anything to do with the monster itself. That dream, as vivid as the moment it flew into his mind and planted its seeds in his memory, still required many answers, and he'd hope that he would receive those answers eventually. But, for the moment, it was time for hunting, something Johnathan hadn't been able to do since he had gotten to this forsaken state. Sure it had pretty landscapes, but the state was poisoned by two cities that held the entirety of the political sway due to jerrymandering and an overdense liberal population in said cities. But that was ok. Out here, the police weren't too enthusiastic about enforcing certain laws, and soon he'd defintiely have the ability to permanently take care of any monsters. Until that time, the power of ten mil auto would have to suffice. "Alright, I'm going to help you now, but if you don't mind, I'll want some answers to some questions, well quite a few quiestions actually." Johnathan placed the mug down and reholstered his Bren Ten, allowing him to leave the chair with hands free. "So, Herr Kessler, how exactly are we going to kill this Eldritch horror? Djibouti shooty? Double tap? Magdump? And where is this thing right now?"

DeletedUser31931

Cynthia was clearly quite nervous and Boris could understand her predicament. As she offered the weak excuse that it was the drugs messing with her head he nodded. Once she'd returned from changing she briefly asked if she could go shopping. Boris thought for a minute and spoke, his voice calmer, slightly softer and more gentle now that they were out of any immediate danger, though he still knew of at least four guns within a second's reach should an unexpected visitor come calling, "I think it would be worth waiting until we know what our situation in the public eye is. I think a shopping trip is definitely on the cards but... let's just wait and see." As he got up to check on how the food was defrosting Cynthia asked if she could help and the radio switched to the local news. Setting the sausages down Boris listened intently to the newscaster. After the broadcast was finished Boris turned it down slightly but left it still running, keeping an ear pinned for any further news broadcasts and also just to provide some slight background noise. Thinking for a second, he spoke again. "Considering that you're still in the headlines as a missing woman, I think it'd be prudent if you stayed here for now and I went shopping instead. If you write me a detailed list of what you need I'm sure I can pick some stuff up." Boris went over to one of the walls and quickly felt a small patch of it, apparently finding what he was looking for and removing a small of section to reveal a safe. He opened the safe door, checking that it hadn't been raided as he observed the large pile of cash of about $10,000 that was stored in the safe. Ever since he'd bought the apartment he'd added that slight alteration and had added a section of his savings to the apartment ever time he'd visited. This way he wouldn't have to worry about using a credit card tomorrow which meant that his supposed pursuers, whoever they were, wouldn't have quite such an easy time finding him. Replacing the section of the wall he looked back at Cynthia, awaiting the woman's response.