The Final Stand of Kauria

• Thread starter DeletedUser37114
  • Start date

Apelatia

"Oh, wonderful! That's perfect." Tekki smiled vibrantly as the innkeeper delivered the verdict that they still had rooms to spare. The rest of his speech pleased her well enough too, prompting her to break out in a more relieved smile at the realisation that she would not have to work to stay the night. The constant hustle and bustle of the crowds, as well as the long journey into Torpolis, had both served in their own way to exhaust her. As she shrugged her pack off of her shoulders, she let out a yawn, before speaking. "Oh, please excuse me. You're definitely right about my looking tired. The crowds and the long journey here both contributed to my current feeling. This here sculpture didn't help much there either." Tekki let out a strange-sounding cough to emphasise her amusement. "To work out what it was, I had to stare at it for fifteen...straight...minutes!" She emphasised each of the last three words strongly. "...and even after that, I still didn't have the faintest idea. It took just as long to get the Drinden shopkeeper to tell me what it was supposed to be! Driftwood... How uninspiring! " This said, she waved the sculpture so that the innkeeper could see it, before carefully opening her pack and placing it inside. "I'm not sure why I didn't think to do that earlier. It would have made walking around much easier... Anyway! I think I'll take the offer of room 203 without having to work. You wouldn't want someone such in my current state in your kitchens. I'd be more of a nuisance than a help!" This said, Tekki placed a silver coin in the human's hand.

When prompted as to the current situation in Nuseni territory, Tekki paused for thought, trying to recall what had been spoken about at the last meeting of the agua-eleré counci, before speaking. "Nuseni territory is doing decently... Tourism is at an all-time low for some reason, but otherwise all is well. The fish are as colourful as ever and the marine plant life is thriving, almost to the point where we will be forced to intervene, but we're not there yet... It makes me wonder why we're having such a low intake of people wanting to see our realm... I must say that I am troubled to hear that you don't see many Nuseni through your doors though. I am sure that I will recommend your company and inn to the Nuseni that I meet upon my return to my home..." Once the innkeeper had gotten her key, she spoke again in an inquisitive tone. "If I may ask, what is your name, kind sir? Ah, and what would be the activity that you would most recommend to me for the rest of the day before I take my night slumber?" Her smile never wavering, it would seem to the innkeeper that a smile was all that the Nuseni woman was capable of producing on her face.

DeletedUser31931

Jokir looked at the Kitsune in a puzzled manner as she spoke of her story. He did not know of Kitsune culture and he knew almost nothing of the races beyond what the Cycle had taught him besides the Dramora. It appeared that this girl did not like her own customs, the laws by which her society were governed and yet she had held him accountable to her society's standards. Rather than point out this contradiction in her actions, Jokir held his silence, something inside him warning him that irritating Kat further might yield bad consequences. Despite the fact that he was more than confident he would easily defeat her in a fight (if it came to that) it would most certainly draw unwelcome attention to him and do nothing to help the name of the Shades in general. Deciding that a change in tack would probably be best he decided to steer the conversation to the present tense. "So what do you do now? How has your Cycle continued here for the past five years?" He asked, the curiosity towards this fascinating girl evident in his voice.

DeletedUser37114

Katarina
Jokir seemed uncomfortable with the silence as it settled and grew, though Katarina felt quite at home. There wasn't any harm in quiet, contrary to what most people seemed to think. No lies, comfortable or not, no thinly veiled insults or accidental barbs, no rude mistakes. Just a blanket of calm quiet. Of course, quiet all the time wasn't good either, same as anything else, but with the Games on and encounters like this likely to be at least a little more common, she wasn't going to let the moment pass unenjoyed. Then the Shade asked a question and the moment, was over. Like a soap bubble or a candle flame or... she wanted something more poetic than fire, but couldn't find a word. As for the Shade's question... "I live," she answered. Short and sweet again. Though it probably would irritate Jokir for her to end there, so she colored the statement a little bit. "I find jobs where I can, stay and sleep where I can, and try to enjoy myself where I can. Living how I want, you know?" It wasn't exactly true, she never had enough of certain things, but it was a whole lot more free and in many ways safer than staying where she'd come from. And besides, nobody got exactly what they wanted, scarcity of life and all that, so it was probably as true as it was going to get.

Deleted User - 819397

Adin smiled good-naturedly as the Nuseni started talking about a sculpture she'd purchased, adding a simple, "I've not got much of an eye for art myself, my wife handles that part, but I do agree it's not the most inspired piece." The woman's good mood seemed incorruptible as their rather one-sided conversation continued with her focusing on the lack of tourism recently. "If I may hazard a guess, it could be because people were saving to come here for the Games…going to Nuseni territory tends to be somewhat expensive for the other races, so it likely came down to a choice for a lot of people…and the games only happen once every five years, while your breathtaking lands…er, waters, are always around. If I were in their shoes I'd come here this year and visit your people the next. Seems reasonable, anyway."

The Nuseni woman then inquired as to his name, and what activity he'd recommend she do the rest of the day. "I apologize, I'm typically quick to give my name. I'm Adin, co-owner of the inn along with my wife, Dawn. As for activities, the first day of the Games there's not much outside them going on, but if I recall there's a small collection of booths off the main road…turn right leaving here and then left when you hit a street…I believe I heard something about a fishing skill game…I bet you'd be able to get something good there, what with your homeland and all. Before you go, though, why not leave your things in your room? No sense carrying it around the rest of the day, and since you're holding the key, no one'll be coming and taking it…Feronia, why don't you show our guest to her room? 203." Adin was suddenly grinning in the direction of the stairs. When Tekki turned, she'd see a glowering Stillblood in a suit shooting daggers at Adin with her eyes. The girl leaned slightly to one side, and when she turned to face the Nuseni a limp was clear. "Yeah, sure, I can show you. Follow me."

Apelatia

Tekki listened carefully, nodding and smiling at appropriate intervals to the innkeeper, whose name turned out to be Adin. He commented on the state of tourism, and suggested that the reason for the lack of tourists to Nuseni territory was likely to do with the fact that the Games were being held, and that money had been saved primarily to visit them. The man seemed to think Nuseni territory expensive, however, which surprised Tekki. She would need to find a little more out about that particular subject from other acquaintances, then think of a way to tackle the issue, if indeed there was one... Adin was most helpful from that point, stating that although there was little going on besides the Games themselves, it being the first day and all, there were a small collection of booths nearby, with some sort of a fishing game taking place. His other comment didn't pass entirely unnoticed, though she let it pass. It was all too common that members of all the races would stereotype that "because you were a Nuseni, you had to be good at fishing, and absolutely anything to do with fish just had to be your forte"... She might have to tell Adin about said point when she came back from her excursions... It was at that moment, that the innkeeper advised that she stored her belongings away in her room before she went outside, something which she agreed with.

Hefting her pack back onto her shoulders, Tekki, found Adin to be grinning, prompting her to turn in the direction of the staircase. Stood there was a grey-haired Stillblood wearing a suit, who seemed to be glowering at Adin, who had introduced the girl as 'Feronia'. She appeared to be off balance for whatever reason, as illustrated by her posture. Turning her gaze away from the grumpy Stillblood, Tekki once again smiled warmly at Adin. "Well, I thank you very much for your hospitality, Adin! I'll take up your recommendation and go and check out this fishing competition. I'll save the Games themselves for tomorrow. That's when it'll really start to spice up!" With her bag on her shoulder and staff in hand, Tekki made to follow Feronia, managing to quickly close the distance between them. The girl looked to be much younger than herself, though she couldn't be certain of what age Feronia was exactly. That, she would have to leave to guesswork. She was sure that from the girl's grumpy demeanor, she would in no way appreciate a question about her age. Instead, Tekki decided to try to make pleasant conversation as she followed close behind. In her most cheerful voice, she spoke. "So, Feronia! Adin has recommended that I take a look at some 'fishing competition', which I'm sure would be lovely, and which I will go to visit, unless...you can recommend something better for me. It's always nice to have options to choose from... Are you aware of anything interesting or exciting which I could take a look at this evening, besides the Ganmes themselves of course?"

Deleted User - 819397

Feronia was NOT pleased that Adin had found a temporary way to keep her from getting on his case about the suspect room placement. However, work was work, and that meant she had to play the part until the Nuseni guest was squared away. The woman was irritatingly upbeat, and it grated on her as the older woman perpetuated it. "I know the markets are in full swing, but otherwise I can't say I paid a lot of attention to the events…not really my thing, honestly," she gave in response to the Nuseni's question as to if there were events going on. "Now, if you'll follow me I'll show you to your room." She limped up the stairs again, stopping outside a door not too far from the steps. "Not a bad location, here…far enough you won't hear people stomping up them, but close enough it's quick to get in and out. If you need anything else, Adin's downstairs…I'm in 221, and so long as it's before midnight and I'm in I'm available to help as well. Dinner's at six, dunno if he told you that. If you need anything, just let us know." With that, she turned to leave, fully prepared to accost her employer this time…

-----------------------------
(I've been bad at making sure I reply to everything here, my apologies)

Srilm nodded in agreement to Ota's statement that things should be better for the children than they were for them. "I agree, but for us, nature needs to stay in balance…it cannot overgrow, and it cannot be culled too far. If we maintain that balance, the world will be better for it, and our children will have the chance to experience it." The Drinden Matriarch altered her gaze to the Dramoran siblings again. "If you don't mind my asking, Drael, Draenor…where do your people stand on such matters? I must confess I'm not as educated as I'd like to be on that subject, though your kind's isolationist preferences contribute as well." Behind her, Plissora snorted before griping in a voice clearly meant to carry, "Not the only thing you're ignorant on…trees know how you've managed to keep that head on your shoulders this long, no one's told you how." Srilm closed her eyes for a moment, breathing deeply, but made no other indication she'd heard. "I admit I'm curious on a personal level as well, as your people are so different from my own. Knowledge is the greatest treasure of all, and I always enjoy the opportunity to accumulate more of it…the more I have, the more I can act in ways that benefit not just the Drinden, but all of Kauria."

DeletedUser13682

Uwe walked out of the inn and looked around the alley. To him, it didn’t make sense to have a business, especially one that was wholly dependent on sentients for revenue, in a place so far from the main roads, especially if that place looked as foreboding as this alley. This inn, however, seemed to be doing well, despite how the location preloaded the probability of success very low. There must be something Adin was doing right, something that Uwe was determined to discover before he continued his journey. For now, however, it was time for him to grab his luggage. The journey to the stable was much longer than normal; the streets thick with the Games crowd and those still streaming in. Eventually, he made it to the stable, and after guaranteeing boarding for Jackson Sky and his cart, picked up his small bag and slung it over his shoulder after ensuring that everything was still where he had left it.

Uwe then headed to one of quite a few markets specially set up for the occasion of the Games. The special markets brought together so many items that would never usually be seen together, and definitely not in such quantity. It was also one of the best places to meet new merchants and create new business deals that would bring prosperity to both parties. Uwe made his way to one of his favorite parts of the market, the spices. Able to so drastically change the flavor of food, spices were some of the best technological advances the sentients of Kauria. Browsing the available spices, Uwe recalled he made the fatal mistake of not figuring out what it was the inn cooked. He had no idea what sort of spices to buy, what perfect mixture to buy to make that food the best in the city, spreading that word around, getting the inn much more business (despite its dismal location), and getting Uwe another valuable (and very profitable) trade partner. Well it was a safe bet to get pepper as a good choice, emphasizing and enhancing most any food imaginable. After picking up a small jar of the grains, and after having a pleasant conversation with the stall owner (a firm basis for future prosperity), headed back to the inn, arriving just after the beginning of supper time.

Apelatia

Tekki followed the grumpy Feronia up the staircase, until they came to her room. 203, it seemed, was not far from the top of the steps, which suited her well as it gave her the opportunity to nip in and out far more efficiently than would have been the case had her room been at the far end of the corridor... The young Stillblood then imparted to her the information that dinner was at six, as well as offering her assistance any time up to and including midnight, to which she responded cheerily. "Oh, I'm glad to know about dinner! Adin didn't impart to me that particular piece of information. I doubt that I'll be needing any help, but thank you nonetheless!" Feronia then turned to go, leaving Tekki standing alone in the corridor. The girl, though seemingly good at her job, also bordered on rude in her manner of conversation and body language. There had been no offer whatsoever to carry her pack; an offer she would have declined anyway if asked, but common courtesy did demand it. Letting out a brief sigh, the thirty-year-old Nuseni turned to her door, before inserting the key into the lock and turning it. Opening the door, she found herself in a small room, which housed a single bed and all the necessary components for Tekki. Walking in, she deposited her pack beside her bed, removing the driftwood sculpture and placing it on a small table beside the bed itself. This done, she picked up her staff and walked out of the door, taking care to lock it behind her. Fortunately for her, many Nuseni carried their staffs around with them, so she would not need to worry about arousing suspicion by carrying it. Even if these Games were meant for peaceful purposes, it wouldn't do to be off her guard. ...and for all its pretty features, the staff was not much more than that: a means to defend herself.

Nodding to Adin as she walked outside, Tekki mused to herself. Her first impressions of the inn had been mostly good. Aside from the grumpy Stillblood, everything had seemed nice enough to her. The building itself was welcoming, as was its co-owner, and her room had been adequate enough for her purposes. The news that the Nuseni were not seen much inside the inn had surprised her, and she intended to discover the source of that issue as soon as possible. She set off in the general direction that Adin had pointed out for the fishing tournament, and before long had arrived at her intended destination. As soon as she had noticed the sign for the tournament, Tekki joined the small queue of budding contestants, fully read to participate once she had reached the front.

DeletedUser31931

Kat appeared to not like her past or her present. The tartness in her immediate reply followed by her explanation suggested she wasn't enjoying where she was. As she spoke of freedom Jokir nodded in agreement and began to speak. "True freedom is feeling the wind rush past you, it is walking unnoticed amongst the crowds and watching as the world passes by. My kind requires little sustenance, our life force comes from the shadows and to them we shall return... from dust to dust as a human might say." There was a slight bitterness around the word human in his voice, as if he had had more than one unpleasant encounter with them in the past but it could have just as easily been imagined by Katarina. "Our race calls this concept the Cycle. I, as a member of the Cycle, shall carry out my days and enjoy my space upon this earth. Then, at the appointed time, around forty years from now I shall fade into shadow once more. The next day I shall return, born again as the universe rolls forth. The Cycle is unending for we shall always protect it. We exist as the guards through the world, though we may number in few, we are great in power. This is our role and this is the calling of the Aluille." The last word was a word so flowing and melodic on Jokir's tongue that it would be almost impossible for Katarina to replicate, let alone understand what it truly was that he had said.

Deleted User - 819397

It was as Tekki was walking back towards the inn from her fishing competition that the earthquake started…it wasn't particularly large, but it was startling. The streets were filled with people looking alarmed, as nothing like this had happened in ages. It persisted for a while, too, which was even more unsettling. Loose items fell to the floor and a couple people tripped on the unstable ground, but there was no lasting property damage, and certainly no casualties. The quake lasted about five minutes, then faded away, leaving anxiousness and uncertainty in its absence.

----------------------------------

Feronia had been just about ready to start on her forced duty of waitstaff when the quake struck. Her eyes wide, she muttered a few choice expletives before running off to find Adin. The innkeeper was waiting cautiously, listening for any sign that something was off with the structure. When it subsided, he turned to look at the Stillblood, concerned. "What the hell was that? An earthquake…I didn't think those actually were a thing! Something limited on a small magical scale is all fine and good, but that sure as hell wasn't magic!" She wasn't panicked, but she was far from being calm. "Relax, Feronia…it didn't cause any damage to the inn. I appreciate you coming to seek instructions in case we needed to evacuate, but we're ok. I'll go around and make sure our guests are ok, but for now, go back to work, and keep a happy face on, as much as you can. People are going to be looking for stability, and you can provide it to them" The girl took a deep breath before nodding, turning around and leaving, her demeanor slightly less confident than it had been before, her world having been forcibly rearranged.

--------------------------------------

The events in the arena had been winding down when the quake struck. Srilm and her retinue looked completely shocked, as if this was a world-ending event instead of a minor natural disaster. The Drinden collapsed into a muttering mess, even Plissora taking a seemingly helpful part. It wasn't long, however, before a young, female Drinden bounded up the steps and into the circle of her people, panic clear on her face. The effects were almost instant. Plissora fainted straightaway, and most of the others appeared as though they would be following in short order. Srilm, her green face a shade so pale it was gray, staggered over to the Dramoran pair, and by extension the Kitsune trio on their other side. "I…I have terrible news. Mount Vulx has…its top exploded into fire and smoke." The peak in question was about a three day journey from Torpolis, not quite visible from the city. It stood alone, far away from its brethren in the north, where the Nyf and Havren were centralized. "I…there's been nothing like this in all of our history. We…the fire's spread to the trees…my people and the Nuseni are combating it with all our combined strength…we should be able to contain it to a thousand acres…I hope…I…I cannot believe this. What could have prompted a mountain to explode? Since when…" The Drinden Matriarch appeared to be in almost physical pain from the knowledge that so much of the forest surrounding Vulx would be leveled by this disaster. "I…if I didn't need to be here for appearances…I would be there, helping to stop it…I…I cannot believe…" Her mild shock was causing her wheels to spin…no one had had to deal with something like this before, and suddenly it was thrust upon her shoulders, and she wasn't sure she could handle it.

DeletedUser28032

As Draenor watched a pair of kendo fighter’s compete; with Drael reluctantly admitting that the human competitor showed some potential this year, Drael listened as Srilm addressed him explaining how she knew very little of Dramoran culture mainly as a result of their isolationist policies “yes...well...as a species we’ve long since learnt that we don’t play well with others” Drael said in way of an explanation as to why they kept themselves to themselves “...also the prevalence of magic can make interaction with other species somewhat tense” he finished with the word magic leaving a vile taste in his mouth. As a whole the Dramoran people were completely inert to magic, to the point that they couldn’t even sense its presence. And like all Dramoran’s Drael felt that its use was unholy, distasteful and without honour; though unlike his elders he was polite enough not to voice as much.
Upon being asked his peoples opinion of the ongoing peace and whether they should be striving for a better world for their children Drael hesitated. It wasn’t a question he’d ever really considered and it was one that didn’t have an easy answer “Peace doesn’t sit well with our way of life... our children are trained to be warriors but other than the odd vendetta between clans there are no wars” he began cautiously; speaking as he slowly worked it all out himself. Their way of life was slowly changing as young warriors returned from foreign service with strange new idea’s and practices only the other day he’d seen a young female warrior decorating her armour with pieces of leather painted to look like leaves in style of the Drinden.
However before he was able to go much forward with this potentially intriguing train of thought the entire arena began to shake violently. With a protective arm about his sister’s shoulders Drael crouched down as everything shook around him with his hand resting upon the hilt of his sword and his nictitating membrane closed across his eyes giving the world a blurry look to it. Earthquakes were a common enough phenomena within Dramor so as not to be overly alarming though judging by their reaction this wasn’t the case for the Drinden who all dropped to their knees and began to pray fearfully.
Once the shaking had subsided the two Dramoran’s were amongst the first to rise their eyes automatically searching the area for any sign of a threat as their base instincts momentarily took over.
Drael was just beginning to relax again; his eyes changing from a swirl of oranges to their normal kaleidoscope of colours when Srilm approached him saying that the mountain had exploded into flames “what!? But how can you...” a look of distaste momentarily passes over his face as he answered his own question; magic “Is there anything we can do to help?” he asked knowing full well that with a single word he could release every member of clan Naharis within the city from their oaths and have them come to his aid…there were some advantaged to being a prince after all.

Apelatia

The competition had been mostly a success for Tekki. Having felt overly tired since her arrival in Torpolis, she had been unable to find the concentration that would have granted her overall victory in the competition, but as it was she was pleased with her efforts. As she strolled through the still-busy streets back towards the inn, a sudden and violent shaking of the ground halted her progress. Spreading her legs wide for balance, Tekki waited for the shaking to subside. Earthquakes were few and far between in the Nuseni's underwater kingdoms, but they did occur, so she was well aware of their effects and dangers. However, this earthquake was unusual in that it continued for nigh on five minutes. As the event took place, Tekki observed the general reactions of the crowds surrounding her. Many of the faces looked scared and worried, as if an earthquake would spell the end of their lives. Of course, this was not the case, but living creatures were often foolish and gullible. They believed all they were told without questioning it in the slightest, and when events such as these happened, they panicked and did things which could truly signal their impending deaths. Of course, Kauria needed people such as these: people who would not be great thinkers, learners and achievers in themselves, but relied on the minority to discover, achieve and pave the future for them. For if everyone became a great person, then Kauria would surely be a less peaceful place...

Once the shaking had subsided, Tekki continued her journey through the anxious crowds back to the inn. Tonight, the main topics of discussion around dinner would most certainly include the earthquake, as well as the Games themselves, which she intended to visit after the moonlight solace had passed. The earthquake's significance played on her mind, but as she had no way to contact the agua-eleré council without travelling back to the Nuseni capital herself or utilising some sort of messenger fish by sending it down a river, she would need to leave the matter be and rely on gossip from the other temporary residents of Adin's inn. Speaking of the inn, Tekki found herself in front of it once again, having made it all the way back in good time. Stepping inside, she spied Feronia walking away from Adin. She immediately made a beeline for the Stillblood, announcing her presence by calling the grumpy inn-worker's name. Once she had gotten her attention, Tekki stopped short of Feronia before speaking in her usual pleasant voice, no trace of anxiety present in her demeanour. "Hello Feronia! I'm sorry to bother you at this time, but I wanted to ask where I need to go to have dinner. I'm ravenous!" To emphasise her point, she pressed her staff against her stomach area in an almost awkward-looking gesture.

DeletedUser37114

Katarina
Katarina snorted indelicately at Jokir's poetic waxing, though the note he put on the end of his first statement told her she probably shouldn't push too hard to figure out why he chose that particular way to express himself. It wasn't like she was opposed to pushing, but that truth tasted like pain and regret. Not exactly emotions to immerse herself in. So instead of pushing there, she went after the part that was safe. "True freedom is the ability to decide for yourself what freedom means," Kat said disdainfully. "If you let someone else choose your values for you, those values don't mean anything. But whatever, if you want to devote your life to this Ally- Allioo- whatever it's called, that's a choice of sorts anyway." Not her business to judge the way a stranger lived his life, even if he was crazy.

It was at this point that she realized that the sun was starting to sink below the treetops, painting them as red as they'd normally be in autumn and that the streets had mostly cleared, save for some spectators heading home from the last of the games for the day. "It's getting late," Katarina started, rising from a sitting position on the branch to a balanced standing one. "You should probably find some place to spend the-" At that moment, the earth shuddered and Kat returned to a crouch, using the branch to steady herself and hoping as hard as she could that the tree wouldn't fall. Thankfully, the quake didn't last long, though she remained low to the branch and ready for another shake. "What in the seven hells was that?" she asked to no one in particular. Her form had shifted back towards fox again and her tails spread out, giving her as much assistance with balance as possible. If there was another event like that, she'd need as much speed and concentration freed up as possible, regardless of her feelings.

DeletedUser13682

The walk back was fairly uneventful. There had been a few people he knew that had stopped him for a moment of conversation. Uwe was always happy to stop and make small talk with current and future business prospects. It was always important to maintain friendships wherever one went. Some merchants were unable to keep town contacts, unable to see past short term profits, forsaking even a moment’s conversation if they thought they would make a few coins. But they didn’t know that not maintaining their contacts would lose them much larger profits in the future. Those merchants would never make it big if they could never overcome their problems. Speaking of problems, it seemed there was a problem with the earth. Apparently there was something that caused it to shake about to and fro. Uwe ran to the nearest doorway, bracing himself against the frame. One time, during a fairly profitable adventure, Uwe had skimmed a book that talked about earthquakes. The protagonists of that book used doorframes to survive, the only part of the structures to withstand the destruction this literally earthshattering event. As the protagonists stepped out of the doorframe, they looked at the ruin about them. All the buildings had fallen, the only things remaining were their doorframes, standing like a sparse forest amidst concrete soil.

The earthquake lasted for four or five minutes, a large shaking not experienced before in Kauria’s history, at least as far as Uwe knew. Though it didn’t cause nearly the amount of destruction that the earthshaking incident in the novel caused, it was still an experience that would remain in the minds of all the people involved for the rest of their lives. There would be some damage, probably, something that would be exploitable for profit. As well, there would be a rush to purchase materials perceived as having protective abilities against earthquakes and their effects. Maybe supplies and other survival gear would also be en vogue. There seemed to be a brand new source of profit, waiting for someone to exploit the situation. But, as Uwe’s stomach reminded him, there would have to be some time to prepare the plan of attack. He arrived at the inn, passing by a Nuseni standing in an awkward pose. “I’ll need a quick meal, Adin,” Uwe said, placing an elbow on the bar. “I’ve got some business to perform soon. Speaking of which, you need anything to fix this earthquake? Maybe prepare for the next one?”

DeletedUser37114

(OOC: My earlier post was a late night post that I forgot to include a Stadium bit for, so here one is)

Stadium
Listening in to the Dremorans' description, Ota felt that explained quite a few of the differences between the older and younger Dremoran she'd worked with in negotiations. Her job had mostly been to look after the younger members of the retinue, including her children, and to watch and listen and occasionally offer her own opinion, so she hadn't been involved in many of the more strenuous negotiations, but this was still very helpful insight. However, as she pondered a reply, the stadium shook, as if the earth itself were restless and turning over in its sleep. Ota immediately grabbed her children, holding them tight and watching for any signs of danger to them, though nothing happened that might cause them harm. Both remained quiet, unsure what might be happening as she kept them close even as everything settled. With a few whispered reassurances, she rose to see how the Drinden and Dremoran fared, looking just in time to see Plissora faint and an ashen faced Srilm stagger over to deliver the news that Vulx had just exploded. "I have to go rejoin my people," Ota said quickly. "We will send what help we can, but I must ensure that the rest of the retinue is safe. I wish all those fighting the fires the best of luck in the meantime." Gathering up her children, Ota ushered them out of the box and down the steps, joining the general rush out of the stadium.

Deleted User - 819397

Feronia hadn't taken more than a few steps from Adin when a FAR too cheerful voice called her name. Turning, she saw the Nuseni from earlier, who asked where the evening meal could be found. Of COURSE she'd ask that…kind of person who didn't want to find anything for themselves, because there were people who could do it for them. It was an inn…you had the sleeping portion and you had the tavern portion, you go from one to the other, you're there. However, the Stillblood didn't voice her opinions, as even without her boss there it wouldn't have been good for her in the long run. Her mouth was halfway open to explain that she was going there and the Nuseni could follow her when Uwe walked in, zeroing in on Adin and saying he needed to eat quick. "Sure, Feronia, you wait on Uwe, tell Dawn it's a rush order, ok?" "Wh-" the girl gasped, spinning to her grinning employer in disbelief. "…Ok, if you both want to follow me, I'll show you to the tavern area…and I'll get your food out as quickly as possible, Uwe. Ok?"

The tavern portion of the Dawn to Dusk Inn was fairly standard, with the kitchen behind the bar, and circular tables dotting the rest. It was clear that Adin and Dawn wanted customers to feel welcome, though, as instead of them getting the food themselves at the bar, there were a couple men and women dressed in suits like Feronia's or dresses in the same color scheme who were going around handing them their food and clearing away their dishes afterwards. Most of the diners were human, though a couple Drinden and Havren dotted the area. "Space is tight tonight due to the Games, so I'm going to have to put you both at the same table," Feronia informed them, limping towards a currently unoccupied space. She REALLY didn't want to have to put up with the Nuseni whose mood couldn't be broken even for the earth revolting against years of NOT moving for longer than she had to, and putting her at the same table as Uwe meant she had to. Still, it as the best choice for the inn, so she'd grin and bear it for now. "Your options are a mixed meat stew or a fruit and nut salad, bread comes with both…non-alcoholic drinks...water, juice, tea...are covered in your room cost, alcohol is on your own coin. What can I bring you?"

-------------------------------------

Srilm managed a weak smile as Drael asked if there was something he could do. "If you know of any Dramoran near Vulx, we could use their help…unfortunately, it's far enough away the best thing we can do is remain here for the sake of the games…magic can do much, but teleportation is something no one's puzzled out…I've been told it's very difficult to come up with even a feasible theory on how to accomplish it. Best case scenario if we left right now is to get there in three days and help with the last few embers. My couriers can bring spoken word to anyone in a matter of minutes, if there's something you can say to anyone to enlist their aid?" She nodded in understanding of Ota's reaction, knowing that the Kitsune had her priorities correct, as much as it galled her. People first, nature second…it was a lesson Drinden had to forcibly learn. Too many had neglected their well-being to care for an area, expiring long before their time as a result. Their lives were shorter than most races…they didn't need them to be even shorter due to shortsightedness. Looking as though she'd aged ten years in the last few minutes, the Drinden matriarch looked at the Dramoran siblings wearily. "I can't believe this is happening…what could have caused this?"

DeletedUser31931

Jokir laughed as Kat failed at pronouncing his race's name. He was beginning to speak in defense of himself but he was cut off by her standing up. She was then promptly cut off by an earthquake. Having lived in Dramor Jokir was used to such occurrences but this one took him by surprise and he fell backwards out of the tree but as he did his arms shot out, grabbing the branch and swinging himself round it and back up onto the tree branch in one solid movement. Upon landing he steadied himself on the tree and waited it out but a sword appeared in his hand, the pommel was a plain pommel that seemed moulded to his hand whilst the sword itself was impossible to see, the shape of the blade could be made out but not much else through the complete veil of shadows that coated it's surface.

Meanwhile
His Cycle was not supposed to end like this. 118 years was a good run but he was supposed to choose his time and place to exit. His quarry had exploded in flames and now one purpose remained... To warn the Cycle. He flitted through trees as he searched for a place. He found what he was looking for but he would not have long. Sitting down he began to speak in the flowing tongue of the Shades. The shadows flowed into his body but the lava streamed towards his spot. The shadows began to surge out of him and his body began to fade but before the process could complete the lava hit his tree. As it collapsed he sighed to himself, he had sent as much as he could he would just have to hope the Cycle would update with further information in time. Afterall he would now be. The lava hit him and the shadows burnt away around the Shade as his body was instantly disintegrated.

Jokir
As the shaking subsided Kat exclaimed her surprise. Jokir walked out along the branch to join her in surveying any potential damage, as he did so the sword melted back into shadows and he began to speak. "That was". He was cut short as the shadows began to come to life. There were two other Shades on the street and they noticed as well. Shadows were streaming from shadow to shadow like they were talking to one another. The shadows came up into the tree and began to stream into Jokir who froze in position as they did so. A similar thing occurred to every other Shade in the street as memories began to flood through them as the Cycle updated itself. Just as suddenly as it had occurred it ended and the shadows flowed out of Jokir and the others heading onwards on their journey to find more Shades, leaving people bewildered as to what had just occurred. Jokir clutched his head as his mind struggled to make sense of what it was seeing. "That is a power of our race only used in times of great need or urgency. The source of the earthquake was a mountain... It... It exploded?" The Shade sounded unsure of himself as if he couldn't quite make it out. "I see trees... Trees and fire. I can sense his urgency and feel his fear for others in the area, which was Mount Vulx I think. That is certainly the name in the memory. Though I have no idea as to the extent of the damage this was certainly the cause of the disturbance." If a Shade could look pale then Jokir definitely would. What he had seen was hard to describe but it was a natural disaster that would give any Drinden a heart attack. The situation left Jokir unsure what to do. The Shades hardly had a formal leader. Their ambassadors consisted of the stronger Shades and these were their representatives at the games but positions were applied for on a yearly basis. He had held the position of ambassador to Dramor for a long time but that had ended with time passing and his interest in the world beyond Dramor increasing. Since they were a free race they had no sole representative or leader to command them. He figured that in light of the circumstances he should continue and some sort of opportunity would present itself at some point for him to provide assistance. Perhaps Kat was right and they should find a place for the night. Turning his attention back to the Kitsune he spoke once more "In terms of a place to sleep, Shades do not require such comforts but I would be more than happy to accompany you for the night." Since there was often little to do during the nighttime Jokir would often either meditate or practice his abilities whilst the other races slept. With his piece said (and the implication that they were sticking together given) Jokir awaited the girl's response.

(OOC: What just happened to Jokir has also happened to every Shade in the world and can be witnessed by everyone as well as the shadows traveling from Shade to Shade though unless you have a great understanding of Shade culture and the Cycle you would have no idea what is going on).

Last edited by a moderator:

Apelatia

Feronia was rather slow to react to her request. She first opened her mouth to talk, only to then close it again, leaving Tekki a little more than confused. Her confusion was soon abated however when the familiar voice of Adin communicated with Feronia, asking her to wait on a human who was standing next to the co-owner of the inn, and provide him (for male he was) with a rush order. The poor Stillblood, it seemed, was being rushed left, right and centre to carry out tasks for her manager. This also now included the task of leading both herself and Uwe (Was that his name?) to a table, where it seemed they would be sitting together. The majority of the inn being comprised of humans such as Uwe, Tekki had secretly hoped that she might have the pleasure of sitting with a member of another race to the end of gleaning useful information from them about their culture and the like... Perhaps one of the elusive Shades, or maybe a Dramoran... Both of those were usually interesting enough. However, she wasn't about to complain to the already-overworked Feronia, so she gratefully took a seat at the circular table to which she and Uwe were directed. The pair were then informed by the Stillblood that space was tight in the inn because of the Games (That was plain to see, wasn't it?), before being presented with their options for dinner that particular evening. There were two options on the menu, both of which appealed very much to Tekki, meaning that she struggled to choose which she wanted to have. The beverage decision was far easier however. She was very fond of tea, so that would suffice for her. The food presented an issue for her. She had always enjoyed meats of all kinds, from rare fish to large birds, but the combination of fruit and nuts together on one dish caused her to halt in what would otherwise have been an easy decision. Had it been just fruit, or just nuts, she would have happily chosen the meat stew, but the two foods combined together on one plate sounded delicious... Checking to make sure that the human, Uwe was not about to speak first, Tekki spoke to Feronia. "I would like to have tea with my meal please, Feronia. As for the food, I'm not sure which one to choose... Ah, such a difficult decision. Both options appeal very much to me..." The Nuseni paused for a moment to consider her options once more, before speaking again in her happy tone. "How about this... I'll let you decide for me, dearest, seeing as you work here and must know the standards of both meals extraordinarily well! I'll be happy with whatever you choose."

Once Uwe had placed his own order and Feronia had departed, Tekki would then smile cheerily at the human opposite her. "So, Uwe! I don't believe I've introduced myself to you. My name is Tekki, and I am, as you can probably tell, from the Nuseni realm. It is most pleasurable to meet you!" She waited to see if Uwe had anything to respond with before speaking again. "What brings you to this part of the world at such a time? Are you here solely for the Games, or do you have other ventures in mind perhaps...?" All the while, Tekki's unbreakable smile would sit immovably on her countenance, projecting an image of satisfaction with her lot in life, as well as her current temporary residence in the Dawn to Dusk inn.

DeletedUser13682

It seemed that Uwe’s first impression on the young Feronia still hadn’t worn off. Well, something hadn’t worn off. Perhaps anger at whatever it was that young people were angry at these days. “That’s fine. I’ll just…” Uwe was unable to make the situation easier by offering to take his meal at the door, and instead was ushered to the only unoccupied table in the dining area, accompanied by the Nuseni who had been standing in a strange pose near the entrance not one minute ago. There was nothing wrong with having to sit with a stranger, in fact, it could open up new doors of business opportunity. But, for some strange reason, Uwe didn’t feel that this particular person would be able to throw up the windows of trade, allowing that sweet wind of profit through. Still, it was worth a try as long as Uwe had some down time. They were lead to their table, and asked their order by Feronia. As the Nuseni pondered what to eat, Uwe responded quickly. “Meat stew with an apple juice, please,” he said curtly. Though he wouldn’t have allowed juice and tea to be given away, he wouldn’t complain. Perhaps there was a hidden cost somewhere. That would make sense.

Now, it was time to respond to the Nuseni, who was somehow managed to be more bubbly than a hot spring fed by gravity powered falls. It didn’t really make any sense for someone to be so happy for (at least to Uwe) no apparent reason, yet somehow, here was a Nuseni, still cheerful and much too pleasant for normal people. But, Uwe would see if there was profit in putting up with the Nuseni. If not, no big loss, for he had to wait for his food regardless. If so, then he would have made much use of his unscheduled and unavoidable down time. (Un)Luckily, Uwe was spared the requirement of beginning the conversation by the Nuseni opening discussions, calling herself Tekki. “Hello, Tekki,” Uwe said, as he pulled out a notebook and a carbon writer. “I am a merchant, I purchase goods at one place and travel with them to another place. At the second place, I sell those goods and make a profit. Tell me, what would the Nuseni homeland think of this new, earthshaking development? Might they not need some protection and supplies to prepare and survive the next event?”

DeletedUser37114

Katarina
With the quake done and the earth finally still, Kat had time to take stock of the situation, surveying the damage below. No trees had fallen, damage to buildings was minor, nobody looked like they had been hurt or if they were, it was relatively minor. The Shade even had an explanation once he put away the sword he hadn't had a minute ago, which was nice, but since he didn't finish, instead having some sort of odd shadow episode, it wasn't especially helpful at first. Once the episode finished however, he was even less helpful, spouting something about Vulx exploding and fire and trees. Jokir's shock as he said all this helped to cement that something had certainly happened, but even if it did, she really had no reason to get involved. Especially if there was fire. So when he appeared to recover and suggested that he accompany her for the night, her normal reluctance at letting people anywhere near her living place faded away. The Shade seemed more crazy than untrustworthy, so even if he knew her spot, he probably wasn't going to be any sort of threat. Besides, he wasn't exactly going to be around for long anyway. That decision made, she signed and motioned for the Shade to follow her as she leapt down from the tree to the nearest roof, her tails waving back and forth as needed to help her balance.

The journey wasn't especially strenuous or long, as they struck out towards the older district of town, the part that most folks here for the Games avoided. Here was the original city, originally a small but lawless sprawl of a place that had sprouted up from the city's central location and distance from the ruling bodies of any given race. Most of the eclectic charm the city was known for faded here into chaotic designs, faded colors, and odd additions, which made Old Town stand out from its more modern neighbors. City planners had been trying to knock the place down and rebuild it for years, but concerns about the expense and eviction of the residents had stalled the proposal out for over a decade now. With the quake having done more damage here than elsewhere, the project might well gain traction again.

It was near the edge of the district, only a little ways within its boundaries, that Kat made her home. Leading Jokir from rooftop to rooftop, she kept an eye out for anyone as they neared the spot, taking a long look around as they reached it before ducking into an opening where three roofs overlapped, a hollowed out space mostly sheltered from rain, sun, and anyone who wished to find it. The place was mostly clean, with a couple ragged pieces of clothing and trinkets in one corner, a stock of preserved food in another, and a well worn travel bedroll in a third. The ceiling was low enough to force anyone who came in to stoop or sit. Despite being a shelter that most people would not have wanted to make use of, it had a well-lived-in quality and Kat immediately relaxed as she slipped in, scooting herself over to the bed to allow Jokir some room as he came in. As the place was quite dark, she also cupped her hands in front of her mouth, breathed hard, and released a small, bright blue ball of silent, cold flame, which floated in the back corner of the room, where she'd placed it. It generated just enough light to see inside the place without being enough to be seen outside. That was a kind of fire she was comfortable with handling, something that wouldn't burn her the moment she lost control. "It's not much, but it's mine," she said as Jokir entered. "Don't take anything and we won't have any problems." She didn't really think he'd steal from her, but there was no use it taking chances either.