The Fall From Grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Sir Krane

The attackers made their move. Half of them ran straight out towards the guards, but at the last moment they jumped into the air, somersaulting over the outstretched spears.
The other half of the attackers simply ran straight. Now the circle of guardsmen was being attacked from head on, and from within.
Half of the guards were killed outright by the rapid flashes of steel, however the survivors put up a fight, a few of them even managing to score hits on their assailants.
Two figures rushed directly at Krane, with their halberds outstretched, intent on slashing him in half from both sides.

Oren

The arrow found its mark, felling one warrior. Guards passed him at intervals, some stumbling as they rapidly tried to fasten their breastplates onto their mail covered chests.
Arriving at the King's chamber, Oren found Raerrith, Leo and Shyther along with a party of ten royal guardsmen, in addition to the king's own protection detail.
"Oren!" Raerrith bellowed, his sword was drawn, and a mixture of anger and fear lay beneath his stony face. Leo was talking to Count Cladenhon, evidently working on the defence arrangements. Meanwhile Shyther just stood by. Something didn't look right about him, he looked distant, and did not move an inch.
"We are under attack." Raerrith stated the obvious. "What the hell is going on? Daniel has been shot, Dist is unconscious, Lord Stallar is dying and there are two dead cultists in the armoury. And now two dead guards and the corpse of Lord Liemorder has been found. What have you been doing?" He shouted.

DeletedUser31931

Raerrith shouted at Oren asking what he had been doing. Oren thought to himself quickly there was no time to explain to Raerrith what had happened. "Sir. You wouldn't believe me if I told you. I found out the entire truth about the investigation sir. We do not face one enemy, but two. They both believe that the end of the world is coming and that the land must unite to stop it. They are therefore taking over the kingdoms to do this. They have both been working their way up the court but now they both make to play their final hand and take the life of the king. Stallar and Liemorder were both assassins for their cults. However, there is still one assassin on the playing field whose identity we do not know." Then Oren thought back, about the night when he had been following the Urden when someone had appeared behind him and he said "Sir, I apologise for my next actions." and then without warning smashed Shyther in the forehead with the hilt of his sword, knocking the man unconscious. "Back on the night of the feast, he snuck up on me, and almost tried to kill me, sir. I think he may be our last assassin, trying to get into our court in the sneakiest way possible. Guards, tie his hands and feet, and use two sets of ropes, or he may escape. Anyway, back to the matter at hand, we must prepare for a barrage of assassins, as both cults will be bringing their members in full. We must set up the strongest defences possible whilst getting archers on here to fire down on the courtyard as reinforcements arrive."

DeletedUser35174

Sir Krane was impressed by the tactics of the opponents. Very smart. He would have congratulated them on it if he they weren't trying to kill him. Two of figures were running directly at him their halberds stretched ready to slice. Thinking quickly Krane ran towards them and at the last minute sidestepped to the left and swung his sword with all his might at one of the enemy.

Deleted User - 819397

"Urrgghhhaaaaoooooowwwwwww..." Dist groaned as he struggled into a seating position. Lord Stallar was nowhere in sight, though the bodies were. "Must've collected him when they saw his injuryyy...my heaaadddd..." He looked down to find the head of the assassin and smiled. "Well, they may not have seen fit to move me, as I was only unconscious, but they at least left me a friend. Hello head!" He then jolted fully awake. "Hold on...there's a missing assassin, isn't there? Liemordar...Stallar...yeah, we don't know the last one. Sorry head," he muttered, tossing it aside, "but I need to get to the others." He re-powered his chair, testing how much strength he had as far as magic was concerned. "I'm nowhere near full strength...uggh. I should probably drink that swill then...I might need to do something amazing again heehee..." He grabbed a flask from the side of his chair and drank deeply. "EUUCHHH that's awful!" he shrieked, almost retching. "But...it's working already...I'll be fully charged before I run into any trouble!" he gagged. With that, he took off at full speed for the throne room, restraining the urge to cackle madly as he did so.

DeletedUser

Krane

The attacker was caught off guard by the attack and was killed instantly. The other attacker suddenly changed his method, jumping up he somersaulted over Krane, attempting to strike him in the back.
However this was not accomplished, as from out of nowhere Crux impaled the attacker on his sword.
Pushing aside the deceased cultist Crux moved next to Krane. “Come on, we can take them!” He shouted amongst the din of the battle.
Another cultist rushed at Krane head on, halberd extended lengthways.

Daniel

“You awake yet?” Said the voice of the court physician. “Good.” The middle-aged, grim face of Mccoy slowly came into view.
“You’ve been shot by a miniature crossbow bolt at short range.” He explained. “The bolt hasn’t done any major damage, just missed your lungs though, you’re lucky. I’ve already extracted it.” He held up a small bolt, about three inches long, miniature fletching and a solid metal head attached to an ash shaft.
“Here’s the little blighter, you could keep it as a souvenir.” He smiled grimly. “I’ve stopped the bleeding and dressed your wound, I’d advise you to let me cauterize it, then you won’t have any more problems.” Mccoy gestured down at Daniel’s bandaged chest, before holding up a red hot cauterizing iron.

Oren

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” Raerrith shouted as Oren spontaneously knocked out Shyther, explaining his suspicions of Shyther being the third Luchper assassin.
The guards did not move, waiting for instructions from the High Inquisitor.
Raerrith sighed. “Fine, you may be right, guards, bind Shyther and put him under guard in the king’s chambers.” He ordered, Raerrith’s guards immediately carried out his instructions.
“Oren, stay here with Leo. You’re in command of the king’s protection detail. I’m going to join the battle in the main courtyard. If we can marshal enough forces to surround them, we should be able to defeat them.” He said, wiping the sweat from his brow he signalled for the group of guardsmen to follow him.
The large party moved out of the corridor, leaving but Oren, Leo, Count Cladenhon, the unconscious Shyther and the ten hand-picked warriors of the king’s protection detail.
“What do I tell the king?” Cladenhon asked, stepping forward.

DeletedUser35174

Krane's strike killed the enemy instantly. Krane turned his attention to the other attacker and was ready to make his move when the attacker to Krane's surprise somersaulted over him. Krane knew it was too late to do anything now. He closed his eyes waiting for the final strike but it never came. “Come on, we can take them!” said Crux. "Bloody right we can". Krane let out a loud laugh and anticipated his next attacker. This one was running at him with his halberd lengthwise. Krane chuckled and ran straight at his attacker expecting both attacks he might make. Krane could easily block the halberd coming down. Or if the attacker decided to somersault, Krane would be ready this time.

DeletedUser31931

"Leave Shyther outside, they can escape their bonds, as I've seen before." Oren said "Tell the king that we are under attack by forces that wish to end his life and we shall die protecting him. Can you fight? If so your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Guards, what weapons do we have?" Oren glanced up and down the corridor attempting to appraise it's defendability. (OOC: Tiger, a description of the corridor would be nice) He had to hold this until the bandit man's forces arrived.

Deleted User - 819397

There was no resistance from either side of the conflict as Dist burst into the throne room, and a quick glance told him why. "No one here? But then where...ah, of course!" he headed for the king's chambers, realizing that the man had likely been sleeping when this all started. Entering the corridor, he saw Oren and several guards. "Is this all? And what's he doing sleeping at a time like this?" he questioned, pointing at the unconscious Shyther. "Thanks for leaving me there by the way...woke up all alone, with naught but the head to keep me company. He was companionable, but not the best for conversation!"

The crazed animator looked around at things he could use as weapons. He was far too weak to use any form of weapon...he relied totally on bringing things to life to fight for him. Even before the loss of his legs he hadn't had a strong constitution. If he couldn't find something in this hall he'd have to get elsewhere and obtain an animated creature before the fight started.

DeletedUser13682

The horns! The Horns of Pelenor were sounding! Daniel made to get up but found he couldn't. Looking about him, he saw himself tied up into the ground. All about him, scurrying to and fro, were little creatures, appearing to be anthropomorphic ocelots. As he called out to them to let him go, one turned to his face and spoke. "You awake yet?" it asked, sounding exactly like the court physician. Then, Daniel snapped into reality. Outside the physician's office, the sounds of battle flowed in. Speaking over the noise, Mr. McCoy explained what had happened to Daniel, how Daniel was extremely lucky, and asked permission to cauterize the wound, holding up an already glowing iron. Daniel knew full well that this procedure would hurt more than the wounding had, and he would likely pass out again, probably for longer, possibly for eternity. Daniel grimly nodded, bracing himself for the searing pain.

DeletedUser

Daniel

Now with Daniel’s permission. Mccoy got straight to work, an assistant unwrapped the bandages, revealing the hole in Daniel’s chest
As Mccoy bore down with the red hot rod, his assitant held the Inquisitor town, putting a piece of leather between Daniel’s teeth.
“Here we go now.” Mccoy said, suddenly bringing the iron down into the wound. The red hot metal immediately burn Daniel’s flesh. He’d be left with some serious scarring, but at least he wouldn’t have the constant risk of infection. The pain was more immense than anything he had ever had the misfortune to encounter, overloading his senses, overriding everything.
However after ten minutes or so Mccoy pulled the iron out, before looking down with a grim smile on his work.
“That should seal it completely, you should be fine to go now, but try and take it easy.” The physician advised. The assistant handed Daniel back his belongings as Mccoy rushed to the door, a screaming guard being carried in. The victim of two, no three halberds, all still inside the man.

Oren & Dist

Cladenhon nodded slowly, before turning and heading back through the doorway.
The corridor was about thirty feet long, bookended by t-junctions. It was about twelve feet wide and ten feet tall. There were no pillars or suchlike, the solid surrounding structure of the mammoth fortress resulting in more than enough support.
Tapestries lined both walls, showing tales of heroic knights questing to rescue fair maidens, relics of a long-forgotten age.
On the west side of the wall there stood five suits of armour and six feet intervals from each other. On the east wall there stood four, two either side of the ten foot wide conical passage leading to a six foot wide solid oak door, which stood open, leading into the king’s chambers, which consisted of the king’s bedroom, lavatory and private consulting chamber, laid out in a triangular fashion, with the protection detail posted throughout, although mainly in the lobby area just beyond the door.

Krane

Seeing Krane's response, the attacker dropped down, sliding on the mud-encrusted courtyard floor. It was a bumpy ride for the assailant, but he was doing it nevertheless. He swtiched the halberd's position to point upwards. Apparently he was attempting to slice Krane open from underneath.

DeletedUser13682

No sooner had he given the permission, McCoy set to with the red iron. The instant it touched his skin, the most intense pain Daniel had experienced (except for that one battle) set in, spreading throughout his body, filling Daniel up with pure agony. After a moment of this, he passed out. A moment later, Daniel woke up, the job done. After being handed his sword, and the sword from the armoury, Daniel walked out into the battle, wearing naught but his night trousers. He was told to take it easy, and easy Daniel would take it. Seeing a small group of guards being attacked by a man in a cloak, Daniel walked in and slashed at the cloaked soldier, hoping the surprise attack and lack of most clothes would give Daniel the victory, and maybe some armour.

Deleted User - 819397

Looking around, Dist could only see suits of armor as possible animating tools. "I already did a suit of armor today...why does life taunt me so?" he sulked. Still, he knew he didn't have time to find something else...the suits would have to do. However, on closer inspection, several of them were missing weapons, only bearing shields. "They're just TRYING to make things difficult now," he groused. He sent out bolts of animating magic into the ones that did have weaponry, linking them to each other rather than him. So long as they had capacity to move, the energy the armor created through that movement would sustain them. He then switched control of them over to Oren. "They'll obey you now rather than me...I need to go find something...bigger...these suits won't hold up for long...a couple well-aimed blows will stop their kinetic momentum, and that'll be the end of them. I'll go find something else to control myself...I should have enough couzi to power something fairly large for a while," he shook the bottle of disgusting liquid he'd drank to regain his magical energies to explain his point. He made to move off, then looked back at Oren. For the first time, the animator's eyes appeared entirely sane. "Good luck," he said, nodding to the fellow Sentinel. "I'll be back soon with something no sane man could ever dream of." The man then grinned manically, his crazed side manifesting again. "Don't worry about me, eh? I'm as tenacious as a roach, or at least that's what I'm told hehe." With that, the man took off, heading in no direction in particular, looking for inspiration in the area around him.

DeletedUser35174

Krane did not anticipate the attacker's response. The attacker slid on the floor and had his halberd pointing upwards. Krane dived sideways just as the attacker was near him. The landing was not perfect on his part, pain flared through his shoulder as it made contact with the floor.

DeletedUser

(OOC: Nothing to post for Oren [yet...] so Zem if you want to just interact with Cladenhon and the protection detail as you please)

Dist

Not long after Dist stumbled upon the giant feasting hall, now all cleared up after last night’s attack.
It was completely deserted. All the guards had joined the fight in the courtyard, and all the servants and nobles were either fleeing, or in hiding.
The feasting hall was large, royal banners and tapestries lined the walls, great oak feasting tables were situated all around the room. Great stone pillars were situated in rows throughout, interweaved with wooden rafters by the ceiling.

(Think you can do anything with that Regal?)

Daniel

The figure barely managed to dodge the attack, diving to the left he lashed out, slashing open the legs of a guard. Another guard took the opportunity to plunge his spear into the prone attacker.
The remaining guards turned to look at the half-naked Inquisitor. “Sir.” One of them acknowledged, before the group set off towards the courtyard entrance, out towards the big fight.

Krane

The attacker slid to a halt, before scrambling to his feet and leaping towards Krane, swinging his halberd downwards, hoping to eviscerate the Inquisitor.

DeletedUser31931

Oren nodded back at Cladenhon, just glad to have another person fighting with them, they'd need all the help they could get. When Dist wished him good luck Oren smiled and said "To you as well my friend. Don't die when there's insanity to be had." He glanced around to check how the guards were doing and how many there were. Then he drew his bow and looked down the corridor. At the first sign of an assassin he would notch an arrow and open fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 819397

(can I ever! Also, sorry for the non-sequitor post...meant for that to be in the Active RP thread)

Upon entering the feasting hall, Dist took a quick look around and knew he'd found his weapon. The only question is if his energy stores, coupled with the remainder of his drink, would be enough to bring it to life and use it for any length of time. Still, he had to try it...the few suits of armor he'd animated for Oren wouldn't last long at all in a fight against a bunch of assassins. Grinning manically, he shook his arms and got to work.

Oren could hear Dist's handiwork from where he was. Great crashes emanated from the feasting hall. Ominous creaking, snaps and cracks from what sounded like beams of wood being ripped apart eventually joined the cacophony, happening with rapid succession. Amidst the din, if one listened closely, one could just make out the sound of hysterical, insane, laughter. Dist was enjoying whatever he was doing, that much was clear.

Finally, the noises ceased. In front of Dist stood a huge Golem, comprised mainly of pieces of pillar. It had been necessary to break it down a bit for the joints, but otherwise they were fairly intact chunks, all the better to attack with brute force. Bits of rafter stuck on the ends of the creatures arms and legs formed crude fingers and toes, wickedly curved and sharp. The head was carved into a pillar, very crude, and missing a face. Instead a large, hollow, rectangular space was where the face should be. After admiring his most monstrous creation ever for a moment, Dist flew up into the opening, which easily fit him. Once inside, he brought up the piece he'd carved out and reattached it to the front of the face, sealing him in, leaving a hole just large enough to see and breathe. The crazed animator had reasoned that he could best preserve his strength (and the disappointingly low reserves of his energizing swill) by being inside the Golem, so that he was close to his creation as possible, free of other distractions. He tested how to move the behemoth, then left the less-than-structurally-stable hall, crashing through the wall above the door as he went. Each step shook the castle to its foundations. The drain on Dist's energy was enormous...he'd have to really focus to maintain it, and even then he'd be lucky to maintain it for an hour. Still, it had to be done, so he gritted his teeth and kept moving back towards Oren's final defenders.

DeletedUser13682

Daniel smiled at the guardsmen he had helped. He didn't get the killing blow, but he had helped, and in the end, that's what mattered, saving as many of your people as possible. There was no more fighting in this area, nor had there been any other fighting but the one Daniel helped with. That was bad, if Daniel wanted a bit more protection than night trousers could provide. Thinking about the best course of action, Daniel began to head for the king's chambers. An attack on the castle must have the ultimate goal of killing the king, and with the strength of these attackers, the king would need as much protection as possible. Soon after Daniel began his trip, he felt the earth rumbling, as if a giant was walking nearby. This proved to be true, Daniel saw the stone and wood giant walking out of the dining hall, which seemed ready to collapse. For a moment, Daniel was worried, but then realized the only one who could do something like that was Dist. Having been comforted by fighting alongside a giant, Daniel continued his trip to the king's chambers.

DeletedUser35174

Krane still on his knees turned around to intercept the attacker. He was swinging his halberd downwards. Krane lifted his sword and blocked the attack. Struggling Krane pushed the halberd upwards with his sword, standing in the process. Once in the clear he swung his sword towards the man's head.

DeletedUser

Daniel & Dist

The half-naked Inquisitor and the stone behemoth moved through the stone corridors of the castle, the behemoth barely managing to fit down most passageways.
Nearing the throne room, turning a corner, down the corridor stood the man from earlier, clad in grey and with his sword by his side. Behind him stood Torin, and a dozen or more warriors clad in grey hooded robes and carrying spears and shields.
“Good evening.” Said the man, looking at Dist with a mild look of interest on his face. He turned to Daniel. “You would be Inquisitor Daniel Blackburn.” He looked expressionlessly at the half-naked Inquisitor, before turning back to face Dist. "Unless you have any questions, I suggest that we get down to business."

Oren

There were ten members of the protection detail, four guarded the bedchamber of the king, who was somehow still asleep. The rest stood by the entrance. Leo stood over the unconscious Shyther, whilst Cladenhon moved over to Oren, holding a poignard.
"What exactly is going on?" He asked.

Krane

The blow slammed into the attacker's head, sending bits of bone, blood and brain tissue flying.
As Krane and Crux finished off their respective opponents, something happened which they did not expect. For upon the walls emerged a group of about fifty shadowy figures, who stood upright, each holding a curved sword. As one, they cried out; “UAR STRORDATH!” Before leaping as one mass of black down into the courtyard, hitting the ground running they raced towards the fight. However, their efforts were not focused solely upon the guardsmen, with the new party of warriors attacking both the original hooded attackers and the castle guards.
He fight became an especially vicious three way meatgrinder, with the guardsmen suffering the most.
“Krane!” Creux shouted as he parried a blow from one of the new attackers. “Raerrith has arrived!”
The other Inquisitor was right, from one of the courtyard’s orifices rushed a large group of guardsmen led by Raerrith and the Scourge.

DeletedUser31931

"What exactly is going on?" Cladenhon asked.
Oren considered for a second how to best sum up the situation briefly and replied "The castle is under attack by two groups of people who both want the King dead so that their religion can take over. I got this knowledge from an outsider source who is also hopefully coming to stand with us. The two forces are currently attacking the castle and we must protect the King or die trying. Any assistance would be appreciated, so thank you for coming to fight." Oren turned to Leo and said "Leo, shove Shyther in the corner, maybe put a suit of armour on him so he can't move, as we can't have you sit there and babysit him as we'll need you during the fight."

Status
Not open for further replies.