The Fall From Grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

“Greetings Inquisitors, may I ask what you are searching for?” asked the librarian.

'As it happens, we seek your guidance,' Sir Krane replied. 'We have a couple of artifacts I would like your opinion on.'

Sir Krane waited and watched as the book and pendant were presented. He did not know the librarian but he knew that any man who desired knowledge could be corrupted as easily as any who desired wealth or power. Until he had proof to the contrary, Krane would not trust anyone who's loyalty was uncertain and that included the old monk. Of course that didn't mean he would be uncivil. For all he knew the man was exactly as he seemed and after all, they did need his help. Still, behind Krane's smile and warm words, his eyes watched both the librarian and the book shelves carefully for any signs of danger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 819397

Dist had been quietly giggling since the first order to step in the indicated direction. By the last time he couldn't restrain himself anymore. "Heeheeheeheeheehee!!! But I CAN'T step that way...I can't step any way!" he shrieked, hunched over and pounding a chair arm in mirth. Then he saw the bowmen. "Heeheehee ahh..." he stopped, realizing the danger. "All right...all right...I'll FLOAT your way. Jeez...talk about not being able to take a joke..." he muttered to himself. Clearly his moment of clarity from before was over...he was back to his half-crazed self.

DeletedUser31931

As the two men appeared Oren quickly appraised the situation. This was not looking good. He raised his arms and said "Of course." and then stepped away next to where Dist was. "Now will you take me to your boss?"

DeletedUser13682

Daniel found Raerrith, or rather, Raerrith found Daniel. He called out to Daniel in a cross tone; something had gone down. When he arrived, Daniel was briefed on the disappearance of Briccone and the MIA status of Scyther. “Leo already told me about Briccone. I sent guardsmen out to search for him as well, with orders to set up checkpoints. He’s probably changed his appearance; he’s too well known as an Inquisitor, too easily recognizable. So we’re not basing our search on appearance. We’re looking for the treasure first, and arresting anybody who has any with them.

“I found out quite a bit. Lord Uurden and High Treasurer Rothaw were part of a cult. Their purpose was to stop the Strosrd from coming from the darkness, where you go when you die, through a ritual called Rhah’Smek. Their leader is an archpriest, I don’t know who, and there appears to be another cult, also dedicated to stopping the Strosd, but through another way. Baron Vorashti was part of this cult, and he was killed because he was believed to be a heretic. All the lords involved in these cults are coming here, I believe. Oh, and High Treasurer Rothaw, toward the end, would only recite a chanted prayer, at least I think it was. Repeated syllables sound like Brystkel, Ryk, Dak, Rhah, Strosrd, Smek. Also, the price for this information was the souls of 20 noble children. I didn’t know this until after the questioning was complete. The Resurrector is still in the dungeon. I would like permission to arrest him for killing 20 nobles.”

DeletedUser

Oren & Dist

The man stared at Dist, though without showing any signs of curiosity or intrigue, like he’d been told to expect it.
"Now will you take me to your boss?"
The man nodded, turning to Oren’s left he led the pair off the road and into the trees, following a small path, the bowmen followed behind, though their footsteps could barely be heard.
As they progressed along the track the faint sounds of a harp could be heard, the music grew louder, they were heading towards it. The tune was unknown to both, although they could tell from its melody that it came from somewhere in the north.
Eventually the path widened out into a circular clearing a good twenty feet wide. In the centre of the clearing was a reasonably large circular tent, resembling an Eastern yurt, from within which the music came.
Standing around the clearing were ten men, all dressed in grey hooded robes, holding spears and circular wooden shields with no boss.
“My boss is in there, as are your answers, go straight in.” Said the man, who had stopped and was now gesturing towards the open tent flap.

Sir Krane

The librarian watched with interest as both the pendant and book was shown to him.
“Well, those are very interesting artifacts, wherever did you find those?” Muttered the monk. “May I?” He asked, gesturing towards the pendant. Leo passed the pendant over, and the librarian studied it with curiosity.
“My, my, this has to be hundreds of years old…yet it shines like it was new, but it couldn’t be…” He muttered.
“Can you tell us what it is?” Asked Leo impatiently.
The librarian looked up. “Why yes young man, this is a Drydkel, the holy symbol used by the Brystkel-Luchper cult back in the 7th century. They worshipped the god Ryk, and their religion was based around pain. They achieved considerable dominance at one point, taking control of two kingdoms. Of course eventually they fell due to infighting and the efforts of the Marrwrorian and Jimvorian Inquisitions.” He paused. “Wait…if you’ve only just found this, then…no, that’s impossible of course.” He flashed a weary smile, handing the pendant back.
“Now, the book…” Crux passed the book over, and the librarian scrutinised it. After a short while he looked up, “I am afraid this is out of my depth, I am assuming that this is connected to the Drydkel pendant, and thus is beyond the depths of my knowledge. I can however, take you to someone who might know. Follow me.”
Turning, the librarian moved through the shelves, muttering under his breath, slightly too quiet for any of the Inquisitors to hear.
He led them down several aisles, past monks who scurried back and forth, categorising, restoring and studying the great collection.
Soon the librarian stopped in front of one particular monk who was sorting through scrolls.
“Ah, Gretther, these Inquisitors want to know about this book, it’s connected somehow with the Brystkel, so I thought that you might be able to shed some light on the matter.”
“Of course.” Replied Gretther, who had a somewhat portly, smiling face, quite the contrary to what someone would assume to be an expert on a long-dead cult of sadists.
Gretther took hold of the book and studied it, focusing on the metal clasp. “Fascinating…I’ve read about these but never thought I’d see one in perfect condition…” He muttered. “Was there a Drydkel found alongside it, in a locked and booby-trapped box of some kind?”

Daniel & Raerrith

Raerrith listened with interest at Daniel’s results, however he suddenly turned white at the revelation that the information had come with a price.
"Also, the price for this information was the souls of 20 noble children. I didn’t know this until after the questioning was complete. The Resurrector is still in the dungeon. I would like permission to arrest him for killing 20 nobles.”
“What? Twenty nobles?” Raerrith balked, he turned away and began to pace, running his fingers through his greying hair.
After a few seconds he turned back. “Keep this secret, do not tell anyone, if the King finds out we’ll all be executed for treason…the murder of twenty nobles…twenty…”
“How do you know he’ll kill them?” Rasped The Scourge’s from the shadows, she was standing by the door, watching them.
“What?” Said Raerrith.
“How do you know he’ll kill them?”
The High Inquisitor moved to face the Extractor of Truths. “What else will he do?” He exclaimed. “This is YOUR fault, how could you let him do that?”
“I didn’t.”
Raerrith laughed. “I’m not stupid, of course yo-“
“You did.”
The High Inquisitor stopped, and looked at The Scourge, waiting for whatever came next.
“I told you about The Resurrector, I said there would be a price, but before I could tell you what that price was, you authorised me to do it, regardless of the price. Whatever happens to them is down to you.”
Raerrith stood stock silent, eyes fixed on The Scourge, bearing a mixed expression of fear, anger and surprise.

DeletedUser13682

Raerrith seemed extremely disturbed by the price of the information. Daniel was certain that he would be granted authority to arrest the Resurrector. When he didn’t get that authorization, Daniel was a bit surprised. Instead of acting, he was ordered to cover it up. Of course, Daniel didn’t know why he or Raerrith would be executed for treason; it didn’t make any sense. Before Daniel could ask, though, a raspy voice asked how Raerrith knew ‘he’, probably the king, would kill ‘them’, probably the Inquisitors involved in this problem (Raerrith and Daniel). Daniel turned around, hand on his sword, and saw that the Scourge was standing there. “I told you to keep the Resurrector busy in your dungeon. A direct order from an Inquisitor is to be obeyed unless a head noble, or the king, overrides it.” Of course, Daniel was ignored. To Raerrith and the Scourge, Daniel was probably a bit player in the grand scheme of things.

Daniel watched and listened as Raerrith and the Scourge argued over who was to blame. After hearing both sides, to Daniel, it seemed like both of them were at fault. Raerrith shouldn’t have assumed the payment would be currency, and the Scourge should have made sure that Raerrith knew what payment was. Yet, the one who did the actual deed of taking those souls, the Resurrector, should be the one arrested. Daniel looked at Raerrith, who was now stone still. He was afraid that he would be blamed for the reaped souls. Daniel spoke up. “High Inquisitor, maybe there is still time to stop the Resurrector before he gets the souls. With the Scourge’s help, and some royal guardsmen, I believe I can still stop him, hopefully before he gets to any nobles. After that, I need to talk to you about a plan I have.”

DeletedUser31931

Oren followed the man through the woods, noticing that the guards were following them. These people meant business. Dist appeared to have reverted to his manic cackling self, but that may be a help in this situation, he might pull off some insane piece of magic to save their lives. He appraised the tent as they walked up to it and then as the man gestured Oren held open the flap for Dist and said "Coming?" before stepping inside to meet the man who had gone to all this trouble to kidnap them.

DeletedUser

“Was there a Drydkel found alongside it, in a locked and booby-trapped box of some kind?”
Sir Krane motioned for the pendant to be handed over. He had no reason to trust or distrust the monk and they had already passed the thing to one person in the last few minutes. If they wanted to get to the bottom of things, they would just have to take the risk of trusting a few people.

Krane inwardly cursed his paranoia. Before this case he had never had such trust issues. On the field of battle you simply had to trust those around you or you died. Now though, with so many people on so many sides, half of them secret and the other half lying about it, his instincts were struggling to keep up.

DeletedUser

Oren & Dist

Inside the tent sat two people, one was dressed in a grey hooded cloak like the others outside, and was sitting, playing a harp.
The other was sitting next to a small table, eating.
The man was small, about 5’5, maybe about fifty years or so, and somewhat stout, with a shaved head and a knowing face.
The man signalled for the other man to stop playing and leave the tent. Finishing his meal, he wiped his mouth on a scrap of brown cloth before looking up to face the two Inquisitors.
“Ah,” He began, his accent was familiar to the accent of the man that brought them to the clearing, yet slightly deeper. “Inquisitors Dist and Smil, I must apologise for the way you were brought here, but it was necessary, and remember, this is not a kidnapping, you may leave at any time.” He leaned back. “But you won’t leave will you? Because you want to hear what I have to say.” He smiled.
“Now, I know that you will have questions, so ask them now, then we can get down to business.”

Daniel & Raerrith

“High Inquisitor, maybe there is still time to stop the Resurrector before he gets the souls. With the Scourge’s help, and some royal guardsmen, I believe I can still stop him, hopefully before he gets to any nobles. After that, I need to talk to you about a plan I have.”
Raerrith looked down at the floor and put his left hand on his chin, thinking. He looked up at the Scourge. “Is The Resurrector still in your dungeon?”
The Scourge nodded.
“Good, you and Daniel should lock him up and kill him quietly, make sure nobody knows-“
The Scourge interrupted. “That would be a bad idea, bringing people back from the dead is only one of The Resurrector’s abilities, if we try and stab him in the back then he will kill us all.”
Raerrith swore, turning, he began to pace back and forth, swearing under his breath.
After several minutes he turned back to The Scourge. “In that case we have no other option, get him the 20 souls, and get them quietly, make sure no-one knows, give them to The Resurrector and get him away from here. Nobody must know.”
“What about him?” Asked The Scourge.
“Who?” Said Raerrith, puzzled.
“Blackburn.”
“I’ll deal with him, you go and get the job done.”
The Scourge turned and moved off into the darkness, Raerrith turned back to face Daniel, a smile on his face.
“Daniel…” He said, smiling, as he moved toward the Inquisitor. “You won’t tell anybody about our dealings just now, will you?”

Sir Krane

Gretther took the pendant and carefully placed it on the table. He then placed the book square in front of him, concentrating. “If Ysciocles scroll was correct, I should be able to be open the book…”
Picking up the pendant in one hand, keeping it level, he moved it to over the book’s metal clasp, lowering it, he placed it on the clasp, before twisting the pendant 90 degrees to the left.
Suddenly the pendant and the clasp grew dark, and the pendant melted into the clasp.
There was a click and the clasp separated from the book’s cover.
Gretther smiled and carefully opened the book, inside it was filled with strange glyphs and symbols. Gretther’s eyes scanned the page. “I could try and decipher these runes for you, but it would take a long time.” He said plainly, though evidently smug that he’d managed to open the book.

DeletedUser13682

Finally, Daniel would be allowed to act. Sure it was a bit extreme, and a bit over the law, but it was the right thing to do. Eliminate this guy before he took more souls. Of course, the Scourge had to interrupt, raise the possibility that they would all die if they did anything to the Resurrector. That was always a risk in this job, but Daniel felt confident that they would be able to take the Resurrector out before he could take them out. Looking at Raerrith, Daniel wasn’t certain he felt as confident about coming out on top. In Daniel’s opinion, he placed too much trust in the Scourge, and was looking out for himself more than the kingdom. Daniel waited for what Raerrith would say, hoping for the go ahead to take the Resurrector out. When he gave the Scourge permission to give the Resurrector the requested souls and get him out of here, Daniel was horrified.

How could he allow this to happen? Because he was afraid he would die? Everyone died. Better to die a noble death in defence of the kingdom than die a coward hiding under his bed. When Raerrith said he would deal Blackburn, of course Daniel became scared. When Raerrith began walking toward him, Daniel began backing up, placing a hand on his sword. Raerrith asked Daniel if he would tell anybody about what happened. If he was to get out of this without bloodshed, he would have to say no. “High Inquisitor, this event will be struck from my mind,” he said, putting his hands back down at his sides. “It is as if I had never been involved with what happened here.”

DeletedUser

“I could try and decipher these runes for you, but it would take a long time.” said the monk and Sir Krane shook his head.

'They never leave my sight,' he said. Then turning to his companions he added, 'I will stay till we can get this sorted. Would one of you report in?'
Krane needed the work doing but he wasn't prepared to leave the monk alone. It wasn't just a question of trust anymore. The items needed protection that a library alone simply couldn't provide. Besides, his presence might keep Gretther focused.

Deleted User - 819397

Dist looked around at the dwelling, not paying much attention to the mysterious man. His attention snapped back when the man told them to ask questions. "How can I? You've just now become known to me...I know nothing about you...furthermore, you brought us here, so you're the one driving the show. I can't ask questions to shamble-men, because...well, they don't exist, but if they DID, I still couldn't ask them questions because I don't know any of them. Typically you have to at least know of someone to ask them questions. I didn't know of you until about a minute ago, and therefore I can't ask a question. Does that make sense?"

DeletedUser

Daniel & Raerrith

“High Inquisitor, this event will be struck from my mind, it is as if I had never been involved with what happened here.”
“Good.” Raerrith smiled, stopping about three feet away from Daniel. “Of course if you do remember, then the consequences will be swift.” Turning, the High Inquisitor began to walk away down the corridor. “Go and check with the Royal Armourer about the weapons Rothaw used last night, find out where he got them from.”

Sir Krane

"They never leave my sight, I will stay till we can get this sorted. Would one of you report in?"
Gretther nodded nervously, standing up, he took two small scrolls from the shelf next to him before sitting back down.
“I’ll go and report to Raerrith.” Said Crux from behind.
Leo went with him, leaving Sir Krane in the library watching Gretther as he unrolled the scrolls and his eyes began to move back and forth between the two scrolls and the book, making notes on a clean piece of parchment with a spare hand.
This continued for many minutes, with Gretther not speaking, aside from the occasional mutter. After an hour or so Gretther rested his quill and looked up. "The opening paragraph confirms what I suspected, the book is the Dryrd, the holy book of the Brystkel-Luchper, whoever owned this must either have been a scholar or a.." Gretther swallowed. "A follower. I can try and decipher the rest of the book, but it would take me a month, maybe more."

Oren & Dist

The man listened to Dist, with a slight expression of bemusement.
"Does that make sense?"
"Yes." The man replied. "You haven't got any questions to ask me. Which would mean I should be the one asking the questions. But I'm not, because I already know the answers."
Breathing in, he stood up and began to pace within the confines of the tent, taking a worn copper coin out of his pocket, he began to twirl it between his fingers, admiring it.
"I didn't bring you hear to ask questions, I came to offer you the answers. Whether you accept the offer is up to you. I know all about what is happening amongst the high court of your little kingdom. I know who, and what is behind it. But I will need some things in return, or more specifically, two things." He sat back down again, leaning forward in his chair, he spoke again. "I will tell you who and what is behind the assassinations, and I can lead you to the remaining assassins. Yes, that's right, there's more and they will strike again. In return, I wish only what is my property, and access. If I were you, which I am in a way, I would listen to what I have to say, but I would say that, because I like the sound of my own voice, and I know that it all ends tonight. And what you say in this tent could change the course of your nation's history."

DeletedUser

''I can try and decipher the rest of the book, but it would take me a month, maybe more." Said Gretther.

Sir Krane didn't have a month of course but this was a lead none the less an he had to follow it as far as he could.
'Do you have any material on the Brystkel-Luchper? Any books or scripts on their methods, goals or motivations? I do not believe the man who owned this book was a scholar so I need to know what it was he wanted.'

Sir Krane regarded the monk a moment before deciding that reward may motivate him. 'Give me all the aid you can and I promise that once our investigations are complete I will try to make certain you have all the time you need to study the book.'

DeletedUser13682

"Remember what, High Inquisitor?" Daniel asked with a smile. "I will question the Royal Armourer immediately, High Inquisitor." Daniel left the room after Raerrith. He felt horrible. The right thing for Daniel to do was of course go and report what had happened to the king; he was the only one higher up on the chain of command. Unfortunately, this sense of duty was fighting with the sense of self preservation. Daniel didn’t know what to do. He certainly didn’t want to get turned over to the Scourge, or worse (what could be?). But if he didn’t tell the king now, then Daniel couldn’t tell him later. He would be seen as covering up a crime and would be dealt with accordingly. But if he told the king now, and Daniel failed to convince him, or he didn’t make it to the king, then he would still be dealt with, and he had so much work to do. In the end, self preservation and the greater good of the kingdom won out. Daniel decided that he would have to tell the king later, no matter the personal risk, after he had saved the rest of the kingdom.

With this load still on him, Daniel headed to the Royal Armourer. If he remembered correctly, Oren already followed that trail. Daniel would ask him about it later. Now, it had been nearly two days of sleepless work, and Daniel was tired. It was time to go to his bedchamber and get some sleep. When Daniel arrived, he barely was able to get his breastplate and boots off, before collapsing on the bed, falling into an instant sleep.

DeletedUser31931

Oren listened silently to the man as Dist blathered on. Dist was attempting to complicate things but Oren had long ago learnt to keep up with the crazed magician and followed with ease. As the man made his speech Oren grew interested and thought about it. "Well, we would obviously want to know your price before you tell us, you say you want something and access, what property of yours do you want, and what do you want access to?"

Deleted User - 819397

Dist cackled as the man replied in kind to his speech. He knew how to play his game! This was excellent indeed. The crazed mage liked him already, despite having just met him. The man proceeded to flat out tell them that their listening was a critical part of their nation's safety and overall well being. Oren then ruined things by asking the man what specifically he wanted without being interesting at all. Dist knew that they couldn't risk ignoring the man's advice...even if he was lying they had to trust him, for if he wasn't they'd be doomed. He kept quiet though, recognizing that Oren wanted to do this "properly", though fat load of good it'd do him.

DeletedUser

(OOC: Nothing really for me to do with Daniel yet, so Johann just wake him up when you’re ready and do what you want)

Oren & Dist

"Well, we would obviously want to know your price before you tell us, you say you want something and access, what property of yours do you want, and what do you want access to?"
The man nodded and sat back down, continuing to play the coin on his fingertips.
“So, the two conditions of the deal. Firstly, my property. You, Oren Smil.” He gesticulated towards the Inquisitor. “That sword that hangs by your side. Deantoir Baintreach, or the Widow Maker. That sword is mine, it was stolen from me, and given to you. I want it back. Now, as to the second condition…” He paused, drawing breath. He had the look of a man who knew exactly what he wanted and how he was going to get it. “…you see, I want to help you in your fight, because your enemy is also my enemy. You’re not my friend, I’ve never liked that proverb.” He smiled. “But anyway, I want to help you, I will give you the information you need, if you give me the sword and access into your castle tonight to help you fight them. Because they will make the last move tonight. Last night’s debacle at the feast was an inconvenience, more for one of them anyway, but it won’t stop them. And you’ll need my help if you’re going to survive.” He leaned back, the coin stopped moving between his fingers. “So what’s your verdict? An explanation of who and what is harassing you, and in return my sword and access into your castle so that I may help you.”

Sir Krane

"Do you have any material on the Brystkel-Luchper? Any books or scripts on their methods, goals or motivations? I do not believe the man who owned this book was a scholar so I need to know what it was he wanted. Give me all the aid you can and I promise that once our investigations are complete I will try to make certain you have all the time you need to study the book.
Gretther nodded. "So you're saying that whoever owned the book was one of them?..." He said, sounding slightly scared. Nodding his head again he stood up and began to look through the shelves, hunting for something.
"The Brystkel-Luchper wanted to unite the world under a single government of pain, in an eternal suffering governed by their god, Rykstordath. To do this they infiltrated courts with teams of three or six assassins, who would murder their way up the hierarchy until they were in a position to kill whoever was in charge. They tried many times, although they only succeeded twice, in Rahyslye and Rhrandur. They would do anything to achieve their goals, their attacks were almost always very brutal." He explained. "Here we are." He muttered, pulling out an ancient scroll, wrapped carefully with a leather strap. He turned back to Sir Krane, holding out the parchment. "This is an early 6th century analysis of the cult's efforts and techniques by Echar'st, who claimed to be a former initiate. He died under mysterious circumstances in a fire a month after the scroll was completed, luckily we managed to get hold of the scroll before then."

DeletedUser31931

Oren waited as the man named his price. It was the sword. Damn! He'd paid Erh'dra quite a lot for the sword, but he supposed that the price of the sword was worth the price of the kingdom. "I suppose we have no choice but to trust you, if you're telling the truth and we ignore you, then the king is dead, if you're lying, well, we'll probably be dead by that point but you're the better option. You can have the sword on two conditions, Firstly, why was it stolen from you and how and was it Erh'dra who stole it. Secondly, I'll need another sword if I'm to be of any use, so if you would be so kind as to furnish me with a replacement, then we would have ourselves a deal."

DeletedUser

Oren & Dist

“Of course. Torin,” The man indicated gesticulated at the other man standing just outside the tent, the one that had brought them here. “Give Inquisitor Smil here your sword.” Torin hesitated, before unbuckling his hand and a half sword from his belt, handing the sheathed sword to the Inquisitor.
“Now, to answer your questions. Erh’dra wasn’t the thief, he was just a fence. Oh, I’m sorry, I'm using the past tense. Apt though.“ He smiled. “I’m not quite sure who stole the sword, I was sleeping in a tavern a few weeks ago. When I woke up it was gone. I conducted a…search of the premises, but whoever took it did a runner and sold it to Erh’dra. By the time I got to Erh’dra he’d already given it to you. So here I am. As to why it was stolen, I assume it was just some lowly thief looking to make a profit.” He smiled. “I trust that is satisfactory? If so then I would like to have my sword back.”

Status
Not open for further replies.