The Fall From Grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

"Yes, that might help, tell him to come straight back to the castle afterwards." Raerrith replied as he neared the castle gates, as the guards saw the group of inquisitors coming, they stood aside and opened the gates, revealing the keep courtyard.

DeletedUser

"Well as far as I know, Shyther, getting a lead is better than faking to have one" replied Leo with a smile as he strolled past Shyther following Raerrith towards the castle.
Fool. Why go arrest someone without Raerrith's authority, pondered Leo as he watched Shyther trailing behind them.
"Also Shyther, I'm pretty sure you don't understand the meaning of the word work. For wrongfully arresting someone with nearly a dozen guards takes some effort" mocked Leo as turned around to face Shyther.

DeletedUser31931

Oren dropped back to Leo and said "Leo, Raerrith wants you to head to the main street and investigate all the street stalls selling clothes to see if a certain somebody in a black cloak purchased some clothes from them in a hurry no less than half an hour ago at maximum. Once you've got something to report come straight back to the castle and do so." Oren finished and strode off into the castle to find out what Raerrith knew and who this mystery figure was and why had they been chasing him.

DeletedUser28032

Gabriel gracefully slid through the heavy wooden door, closing it gently so as not to make a sound yet instantaneously shutting off all sound from the main room behind him. Stood within the small corridor, a set of stairs to his left leading to both the guest and staff bedrooms up above them, to his right there was a small window with a small vase of flowers sat on the ledge an indication of the wealth generated by this place and straight ahead behind another door was the kitchens the sounds of the cooks and maids could only just be heard through the thick oak door.
Settling himself upon the window ledge beside the flowers Gabriel patiently waited and didn't have to wait long before being rewarded.
With a bundle of linen in her hands the young maid all but dropped the pile onto the floor in fright when Gabriel spoke to her "Hello Ilse, I see life is treating you well" the girl was scarcely over seventeen, rake thin with her normally long mousy brown hair tied up into a bun and a near perpetually scared look upon her face as if she expected you to strike her any minute now "G...G...Gabriel...I...I don't know where the keys are...he...he moved them after last time" the girl stammered fearfully as she gathered up the bundle in her arms, checking fearfully to see if anyone had seen her speaking with the extravagantly dressed man "No, no that won't be necessary I just wish to ask you some questions...Is there somewhere a little more private we could speak?" Gabriel had no wish to get the poor girl in trouble and could tell by the way she stood fidgeting that she was afraid of being caught; giving a quick nod of her head Ilse led Gabriel up the wooden stairs across a plush carpeted landing before going up another set into the roof space where the servant’s quarters were.
The low ceilinged room was dark and cramped with three beds crammed in amongst the oddments of furniture though unsurprisingly it was remarkable clean and free of dust "What is it you wish to know?" Isle asked quietly as she set the bundle onto a nearby bed.
Gabriel left the girl to stew in her own fear for a few moments as he made himself comfortable upon a cheap set of drawers, the wood creaking alarmingly under his weight "Ilse somebody’s been causing me trouble and I’d like to find them...now i believe they may have been here and very recently at that so...do you know of anybody whose rented a room and either not slept in it or has suddenly left possibly without paying?" Gabriel didn't think whoever he was after would have run out on the bill as it was a sure fired way of being remembered but it was worth asking all the same.
Sitting quietly within the deserted servants quarters Gabriel waited to see if the girl would answer his questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Isle
"No sir, all the rooms here have been slept in." The maid replied nervously. "I swear, I daren't lie to you.." Isle added. Fearful of the power that she knew Gabriel wielded.

Shyther
"Also Shyther, I'm pretty sure you don't understand the meaning of the word work. For wrongfully arresting someone with nearly a dozen guards takes some effort" Leo taunted.
Shyther snarled, before laughing.
"Me? not understanding work? I earned my position as an Inquisitor, I didn't buy my way in, unlike you." Shyther replied, before striding past Leo into the castle courtyard.

Raerrith
Raerrith strode through the courtyard, paying attention to no-one. The guards stood to attention as he walked through the open oak doors into the keep, he strode down the stone corridors, his footsteps echoing around him. he passed various servants, guards and noblemen, not giving them a second glance, despite knowing that any oen of them could be the elusive murderer.

DeletedUser28032

So nobody has left suddenly or rented a room and not used it Gabriel thought to himself though that wasn't surprising they weren't exactly on his tail so he had no cause for such actions as of yet "I know you wouldn't, you're a good girl Ilse" Gabriel said offering the girl a kindly smile hoping to calm her down before asking his next question " Are any of your current guests a little strange? have you seen anything out of the ordinary?...anything at all no matter how trivial it may seem to you" he asked her hoping that she would be able to tell him something that he could follow up on.

DeletedUser

Isle

"What would you call out of the ordinary sir?" We have all types in here. travellers, mercenaries, head hunters. refugees, merchants..." She shrugged.
"But I can't say I've seen anything very strange sir, Anything else sir?"

DeletedUser13682

(They had pencils since Roman Empire times. Haven’t always been made out of graphite and clay, but still the same principle. As to Roger the Shrubber, I didn’t want Tyger to be the only one throwing out movie references.)

“Come now, Dist. Not everybody is as thick as you think they are. Now, try not to offend the Shrubber, alright?” Daniel walked into the store, and said his greetings. Roger indicated that he would be cooperative. That was good. “Not much, Roger. We want to ask you about a murder that happened nearby about a month ago. Estardor, the weapon merchant was murdered across the street. What I would like to know is if you saw, heard, smelled, or in any other way perceived anything strange last month. Something that would distract you away from anything that would be happening across the street.”

DeletedUser

(OOC: Fair enough Johann. :) I can just tell that we're going to spend the rest of this RP quoting Monty Python...at least you're not knights questing for the holy grail. ;) )

Roger the Shrubber

Roger furrowed his brow and stood, silent for a few seconds. "I think there was some commotion in that inn over there." Roger pointed out the shop to a small tavern across the street.
"Not sure what it was about, but it made a lot of noise." Roger finished. "Anything else gents? a nice shrub perhaps?"

DeletedUser13682

Daniel watched as Roger tried to remember anything about last month. For a moment, he was worried that Roger wouldn’t be able to recall anything, but then, there was an answer. Roger indicated the inn across the street had some commotion last month, around the time of the murders. “Thank you, Roger. You know, I have been thinking about a shrubbery for my house. One that’s nice, but not too expensive.” After the shrubbery was purchased, and plans were made to send it to Daniel’s house, Daniel made plans to question the inn. “Dist, same plan as before. But also, watch the door to see if anybody suddenly runs out.”

DeletedUser28032

(OOC: But...but... I've got an entire seen worked out where Gabriel walks into a cheese shoppe with no cheese in it :eek:)

"No that will be all Ilse" Gabriel said realising it was time to cut his losses and that the girl hadn't seen anything. Pulling a silver coin from out of his pocket he pushes it into the girls hand gently curling her fingers around it as he did so "Go and buy your mother something nice" Gabriel said with what he intended to be a friendly smile though the effect was ruined somewhat by the large scars and single milky white eye lending more of a sinister edge to it.
Leaving the girl up in the servants quarters he effortlessly sneaks downstairs and slides once more into the main bar area in search of his partner only to find he had already left so much for having a partner he quietly thought to himself with a rueful shake of his head before going out the door and onto the cobbled streets once again, this time heading for the slums where he hoped to catch up with a few more of his contacts seeing little point in returning to the castle just yet.
Narrowly avoiding the contents of an upended chamber pot, Gabriel curses its owner it a foreign tongue before continuing down a side street, the walls of the two buildings so close that he could barely walk down it without having to turn sideways.
Reaching the end of the alleyway he comes to a small courtyard of sorts where the walls of the four surrounding buildings met.
Strewn with rubbish and other less pleasant detritus Gabriel carefully picks his way across the stinking heaps to a cellar door built into the back of one of the buildings, upon its surface a strange symbol had been scratched which to the uninitiated appeared to be just another piece of graffiti. Gabriel however had been plying his somewhat illegal wares within this city long enough to recognise it as belonging to one of the wealthier gangs in the city. Making sure his stiletto was close to hand he knocks upon its surface several time before waiting to see if he would receive an answer.

Deleted User - 819397

As the two of them left the shrubber's shop, Dist nodded at Daniel's suggestion to watch for someone to run out. "I've got a better idea as to making sure no one leaves...hehehe." He told his chair to rise, until he was in a clear position to see anyone exiting the inn from any direction. He sighed, repositioning his legs so that they were crossed. This was just annoying, not having his legs obey him. He had to figure out a way to get their use back...or else...there may be trouble for others down the road. He needed them back...NOW!

DeletedUser

Briccone
Noises came from behind the door, before a hidden hatch was pulled open in the door, revealing a pair of human eyes that scanned Briccone from top to bottom.
"Whaddya want?" The eyes asked.

Dist

Dist looked around, various people entered and exited the inn, although none of them looked like a murderer, although any of them could have been.

DeletedUser28032

"Now is that anyway to treat an old friend?" Gabriel said with a sigh of mock hurt, tutting as he slowly shook his head "I am here to see Carbos...oh and you can tell the man with the crossbow to put it away" he hadn't anybody whilst he'd made his way down the alley but it was a pretty fair bet that at least one man was currently watching him and he wished to make the other man think he was much more formidable than he really was...the crossbow was a nice touch too.

DeletedUser

Briccone
The eyes narrowed, before the door opened just enough for Briccone to squeeze through.
"Carbos is through there." Said the man behind the door, pointing to a doorway on the far side of the room, away from the cluster of hooded men sat around tables.
"And for your information, there are two crossbows."

DeletedUser13682

Daniel nodded to Dist, who had taken a high vantage point, then entered the inn. He approached the barkeeper, and ordered a pint of bitter. When it was brought to him, Daniel drank it down in a few gulps, giving a satisfying ah at the end. "Tell me barkeeper, has anything strange happened here last month? It's been said that very strange events happened right in this place last month, and I'm hoping to verify or put down those rumours."

DeletedUser

The Barkeep
"Define strange." The barman said as he put a tankard back on the hooks above the bar. "We've had a bunch of brawls now and then, but that's ordinary." He shrugged. "Was you looking for something specific?"

DeletedUser28032

"Of course there are friend" Gabriel said absently as he passed the weasly looking man on his way down into the cellar, nodding his head in greeting to the few people within the room he recognised from his previous visits. Turning the doors tarnished handle he walks into the next room to find Carbos sat behind a table looking through his various ledgers, a small pile of gold coins sat before him.
He was a short scrawny looking man with long grey hair and a bald head and though he looked a tempting target Gabriel knew that a single word from him and there would be twenty large and very well armed men in this room before he could even draw his dagger let alone use it, Carbos hadn't gotten where he was today by being a good fighter but through his ability to make money "What is it you want? Here to flog me something me something hot no doubt and if that is the case then my cut is double what it was last time"
"Then it is just as well I am only here to ask you some questions"
The mans eyes narrowed suspiciously at the thief knowing full well that he worked with the Inquisitors these days "That would entirely depend on the questions I suppose" he replied shrewdly as he closed one of the leather bound books that lay upon the table "These murders and you know the ones I mean...What do you know about them?"

DeletedUser

Carbos
Carbos leaned back at Briccone's question and scratched his chin.
"Well first of all I can tell you that they've got nothing to do with me. If I'd have done them, they'd have been much better executed." Carbos replied, both he and Briccone knew that Carbos knew enough people to get his hands on info about the specific murders.
"Now I'm sure I could give you some information...for the right price." He smiled.

DeletedUser28032

Gabriel believed Carbos when he said the murders were nothing to do with him firstly if they had been his doing they would never have found the bodies...or at least not intact, However as soon as he was finished professing his innocence Carbos got right down to the matter of price.
Gabriel carefully considered his options before making his first tentative offer after all he had no idea how much information he possessed if any "There are a couple of your boys in the lock up, I can see that they are released and any mention of your name is erased from our records" it wouldn't take long for his name to find its way back there but the short respite would no doubt be welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.