The economics of Premium -- why it could be okay

DeletedUser

There's one upside to their implementation of buying your character... the cost rises steeply.

Each attribute costs 54 nuggets more than the previous, 18 for skills, with no "cool-down" period. The best way to by nuggets is in the 1000, at 27$ US. The math works out like this:

54 * Sum i (i:1 to x) = 1000 ;
sum i (i: 1 to x) = ~18*
Solving for x, you get 5 attribute points for your first 27$ (with some nuggets left over).

For your SECOND 27$, the math is:
54 * Sum i (i: 6 to x) = 1000;
sum i (i: 6 to x) = ~18
X becomes... 7, thus you get just 2 attribute points.

For your THIRD 27$, you only get 1 attribute points.

Attribute Summary:
1st 27$ - 5 attribute points
2nd 27$ - 2 attribute points
3rd 27$ - 1 attribute point

Skill points work out similarly,
1st 27$ - 10 skill points
2nd 27$ - 4 skill points
3rd 27$ - 3 skill points

* Technically, it's "less-than" since to get "more than" would require paying more money, and that's not allowed in this assessment.

So you can see how quickly the cost-benefit ratio falls off. Gameplay issues aside, it should result in everyone paying 27$ precisely twice: once for 5 attribute points and once for 10 skill points using the remaining 190+10=200 points as players see fit.

My conclusion, while I hate the concept behind the this, is that while some people might put out the cash to get a quick stat boost, most people will not pay what it starts to cost for a single boost.

DeletedUser

Thank you for actually doing some math and not freaking out. When put in perspective with the other premiums it seems even less significant.

The same cost of 5 attribute points and 10 skill points can get
55 more energy refills which transfers to 55,500 more energy. For workers this means and questers this means 6,937 less hours sleeping. For duelers this means 4,625 more duels.
Or
Deposit money in the bank 100 times while not in town.
Or
Reset shaman costs 55 times
Or
280 days of any of the following: Automation, double character bonus, 50% higher income, 50% more energy.
Or
70 days with Automation,double character bonus, 50%higher income, and 50% more energy.
Or
Any of the following: 12 union flags or pick axes, 15 fishing poles, 8 aztec golds or rings,
Or
5 Attribute points and 10 skill points.

DeletedUser

Yeah, thanks for writing that down Azeroth, but still, 27$ * 6 = 162$ to get 8 attribute and 17 skill points, + spending money every 2 weeks to refresh your premium... If you look at how much normal game (lets say some Starcraft 2) costs, and how much more programming is involved, how much more graphics, how much more animations and gameplay is in that game, The-West looks like piece of ... Yeah, I can choose not to buy neither Starcraft and neither premium here, but this is just for comparison of quality and why economics here will most probably fail... Inno should have made only other features for premium, and that would bring them much more money on longer term, cause more people would play this game, they would play it longer, and they would be much more interested in game...

I am sure that they havent made calculation about how many leaders in game will leave cause of this money thing... Leaders are sometimes key factor to keep people interested in game and many times they can make big difference, especially in fort battles...

I am aware that Inno needs something to make their living, but people need to stay interested in game in order to give them money and this is just a wrong way...

Also, I find it disapointing that they decided to bring that full premium thing into old worlds, instead of opening new worlds that will offer full premium and I really hope that they wont turn other worlds into such a bad joke...

DeletedUser

In terms of dueling, where this could really make a difference. Attribute points are a waste of money.

You buy 1 attribute in dex, you get 1 aim, 1 shoot, duel wise.. Be better served buying 5 aim, or 5 shoot or 3 aim and 2 shoot.

It is the same with every other attribute. 1 strength or 2 vigor & 3 toughness, 1 mobility or 4 dodge and 1 reflex, 1 charisma or 3 appearance & 2 tactics.

If you work it out on individual skill points that relate to dueling rather than attribute points, you will see how much difference it could make. It inbalances the game completely. Especially at early levels. Which is when smart players will throw their cash away.

DeletedUser

In terms of dueling, where this could really make a difference. If you work it out on individual skill points that relate to dueling rather than attribute points, you will see how much difference it could make. It inbalances the game completely. Especially at early levels. Which is when smart players will throw their cash away.

At early levels, yes, but at higher levels does 17 skill points for 81$ make that much of a difference?