The Dark World: Ancient Egypt.

DeletedUser14280

Sometime around the very dawn of civilization, a child of fate was born.
This child, Nerim, grew to become a powerful archmage, perhaps the greatest recorded so far.
Over the course of his life, he performed many great feats, the greatest of which being his invention of teleportation.

That is what all the legends agree on. What happened after is not so clear.
The favourite among the legends claims that Nerim's apprentice, another boy called Ghanon, learned how to teleport too.
Unlike his master, Ghanon leaned towards evil, and he used his magic to open a gate...to a dark world.

Upon the gate opening, Ghanon entered, his body warping upon arrival into the shape of a terrible demon.
He conquered the dark world with his newfound might and powerful magic, and formed the denizens into an army to crush the light world he came from.
Before Ghanon could re-enter the light world, however, Nerim cast a massive spell, weaving all the portals between the light and dark worlds shut.

-----=====-----=====-----=====-----=====----- 

It is now early in the year 169 BC; the 11th year of Ptolemy VI's reign.
Ancient Egypt is in the middle of a war, and is being quickly conquered by Antiochus IV, the king of the Seleucid Empire.
This well-known historical conflict, the Sixth Syrian War, rocked the ancient world, and having magic didn't help matters at all.

Of course, this makes it the worst possible time for the seals on the dark world to smash, one after the other.
Now, around the world, portals to the dark world are opening once again, and monsters are creeping out.

The monsters transform upon exposure to the light world; becoming dark humans and natural predators, in some cases even dinosaurs.
Similarly, humans and animals that venture into the portals are changed too, into forms that reflect their inner selfs.

Our story begins at the foot of a pyramid, where a portal lies inside.
Monsters from the dark world have apparently stolen a great treasure from the pyramid, and a certain Pharoah wants it back.

-----=====-----=====-----=====-----=====-----

Yellow is for the light world, red is for the dark world, black is for both.
Name: Your name.
Gender/Age: What gender you are, and how old.
Homeworld: Whether you come from the light world or the dark world.
Appearance:What you look like, skin color, hair color, eye color, blemishes, clothing quality.
Resemblance:What you look like in the dark world.
Skills: What you're good at, in addition to your occupation.
Equipment/Magic:What equipment you've prepared with, and whatever magic spells you might know.
Special Powers: Supernatural abilities that you've acquired.
Signature: The one thing that separates you from everyone else, like a habit, certain accessory, etc (you retain this in both the light and dark worlds).

Sample Characters:
Krazen
[spoil]Name: Krazen.
Gender/Age: Male, 36.
Homeworld: Light.
Appearance:Pale skin, neat black hair, green eyes, pierced ear, top-notch quality clothing.
Resemblance:A half-human, half-serpent.
Skills: Talented in archery.
Equipment/Magic:A bow from the palace armory (with arrows), spells for enchanting those arrows and for magical foresight.
Special Powers: Short range telekinesis, and powerful paralyzing poison.
Signature: A beautiful green sash that goes with his eyes.
[/spoil]
Balorie
[spoil]Name: Balorie.
Gender/Age: Female, 24.
Homeworld: Dark.
Appearance:Pale skin, long blonde hair, one blue eye, one green, a spot above her left eye, wrapped in a silk cloak.
Resemblance:A headless woman with wings; her face is on her stomach.
Skills: Burglary; lockpicking, sneaking, etc.
Equipment/Magic:Spells to finely bend metal and to create dark fog.
Special Powers: Regenerates from most injuries.
Signature: A thin bronze choker.[/spoil]

Now for my actual character:

Name: Gale.
Gender/Age: Male, 26.
Homeworld: Light.
Appearance: Pale skin, wild black hair, dull blue eyes, moderate quality clothing.
Resemblance: A great big gargoyle.
Skills: Mining, athletics.
Equipment/Magic: Tools of the trade, mining pick, fairy fire spell.
Special Powers: Stone form, high strength, gliding.
Signature: A complex abstract tattoo running down his back.

Gale stood at the foot of the pyramid and stared.
He'd been here before. Heck, he'd worked on the insides of the thing.
But it still amazed him how enormous it was.

Taking a deep breath, he strided forward across the sand and pushed on the front door.
But of course, it didn't move. The pyramid was sealed tight.
Gale turned to the people behind him, "Alright, we've already hit a problem. Does anyone know how to get into this pyramid without wrecking this door?"

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13682

Name: Gaius Marius
Gender/Age: male/39
Homeworld: light
Appearance: human, slightly tanned skin, very short black hair, blue eyes, generally seen wearing Praetorian armor, also known to wear the clothes of a polititian
Resemblance: a combination of a bird and a man, a taheen
Skills: leading troops, very good at spear and swordplay ok with bow
Equipment/Magic: three pila on back, pompei sword on side, shield also on back usually/ ability to summon ballista when needed, can also summon about 20 troops when needed, armed like Praetorean guards
Special Powers: summon up to 100 taheen, armed with battle axes
Signature: Praetorean armor sometimes, but always a necklace with a bloodstone on it

Marius was looking at a large pyramid, he had seen the work on the inside of it completed during his last visit to Egypt, and had wanted to see if anything had changed since then. So far, nothing had, though usually you change the inside more than the outside. He saw some people in the distance, gathered around something on the wall of the pyramid, and obviously, went over to investigate. When he arrived, he saw that the people were gathered around a door, and were trying to open it. "You Egpytians can build a magnificent structure, and you can't even open it up," Marius remarked with disdain. "Here's the problem, you're pulling when you need to be pushing." Marius turned the knob, and pushed the door right open. "There. Now, why were you all trying to get in here in the first place?"

DeletedUser

Name: Aquila
Gender/Age: Male, 27
Homeworld: Light
Appearance: Aquila stands at 5'11. All 150 pounds of his body weight is pure hard packed muscle. He has snow white hair and a scar running diagonally acrosss the bridge of his nose. His eyes are a ruby red. He is a natural albino. Aquila wears only lightweight leather armor and a battered old helmet.
Resemblance: Appears as he does in the light world, only without any color.
Skills: Fighting expert.
Equipment/Magic: He uses no magic. He is very fast. During a fight he will try and use his favored technique, known as a shadow jump. His only weapon is a round shield, with a sheathed sword inside. The sword was known as a 'Gut Cutter' because it was of medium length and was curved to allow the blade to easily pass through the stomach of another man.
Special Powers: None
Signature: When he has used a shadow jump, the dead man will have a diagonal gash across his back.

Aquila relished the attention of those in the stands. In this moment, his final fight before he was released, they roared with a mixture of anger and enjoyment. People stomped their feet and shouted at the top of their lungs.

Aquila means eagle. When the young Aquila boy had been jerked screaming from his mother's womb, all in attendance had gasped in horror, the child was snow white, with red eyes. It was evil, no doubt in anyone's mind and so, he had been sold to the nearest slave caravan, as soon as the demon child could walk. Aquila had been named so during his first fight, when in desperation he had performed a 'Shadow Dive', those that saw the perfection of form gave him the name.

Here he was, a man of 27 years old, a man whom had never known how to be free, was about to win his freedom. Maximus, the one who had bough the young albino at age 5, was standing just outside the arena. The Arena was set fifteen feet into the ground, skulls and other pieces of humans were scattered across the floor, many showing signs of violent death. There were two cages on either side of the arena, one housed Aquila, and the other housed the last fighter Aquila would ever kill.

He felt himself growing deaf. Aquila saw parts of his vision fading, the tunnel vision that he had grown accustomed to. His hands once shook violently, but now they were completely still. With those hands, he reached down and grasped the hilt of his Gut Cutter "Gods, grant me the strength to live free."

Suddenly, the gate in front of him opened, spilling the sun into his cage. The same happened on the other side of the arena, where a man of epic proportions stepped from the shadows. Aquila's opponent weighed at least 300 pounds and momentarily he thought This will be no challenge, until the words of Maximus rang in his ears 'Never associate big with slow. It will get you dead.' The giant held a club and a sickening sensation came over Aquila, as he realized the club was made of a human Femur.

Aquila did not allow his fear to grow into something that would wrestle him to the ground and paralyze him, instead he leapt forward skipping two strides. He stepped in so close to his huge enemy that he could smell the sweat rolling off his enemy, before pushing up and out with the flat ofhis shield. The albino was forced backwards, as the giant lifted his club into the air and easily brought it down on Aquila's sheild. Aquila was forced onto the defensive, he had to dodge a blow that would have brained a slower man, before throwing himself backwards to avoid and bone crushing kick, delivered by a boot with a wickedly sharp tip.

Rolling, Aquila came up, his sword still sheathed on the inside of his shield, and jumped straight into the air. His enemy tried once again to bring his club across his face, but Aquila was already gone, using the wall he jumped even higher. Right as Aquila's rubt red eyes met the giant's cold brown, the albino kicked out and was rewarded with the sharp sound of crunching bone and gristle. The giant stumbled backwards, his nose kicked so hard the fleshwas ripped from the front of his face.

Aquila hit the ground easily and, anticipating a revenge blow, dodged to the right time to evade a hand that would have crushed the life from him easily. His enemy was enraged and was begining to act stupidly. The giant raised his club and with all his might, swiped down at Aquila. NOW! Aquila's mind screamed and before thinking about it, he performed the shadow dive.

In order for the shadow dive to work properly, the foe must be attacking from the front and must be intent upon the attack. Aquila stood and jumped to the left. The giant had already commited to his attack and could not stop it and so was blinded to where the albino disappeared to. Aquila had not gone into the shadow world, but had merely left the giant's line of sight. Now, the Gut Cutter leapt from it's sheath and into Aquila's hand, just as the albino rounded the corner of the giant. Aquila jumped diagonally across the giant's back, stabbing the sword into flesh and running it the entire length. The Gut Cutter jarred momentarily before severing the giant's spinal cord.

The crowd roared with appreciation, as Aquila landed, his sword already sheathed.

DeletedUser14280

Marius was looking at a large pyramid, he had seen the work on the inside of it completed during his last visit to Egypt, and had wanted to see if anything had changed since then. So far, nothing had, though usually you change the inside more than the outside. He saw some people in the distance, gathered around something on the wall of the pyramid, and obviously, went over to investigate. When he arrived, he saw that the people were gathered around a door, and were trying to open it. "You Egyptians can build a magnificent structure, and you can't even open it up," Marius remarked with disdain. "Here's the problem, you're pulling when you need to be pushing." Marius turned the knob, and pushed the door right open. "There. Now, why were you all trying to get in here in the first place?"
"I'd rather not tell you, Roman." Gale said.
"My name is Gaius Marius, and I really do insist you tell me. Can't have tomb robbers running around." the roman said.
Gale sniffed "A last name. Fancy. We're not tomb robbing, Gaius."
"Then what are you doing?"
"Me and my team have been given special authorization to enter this pyramid, in order to recover a certain relic.
The pharoah seems to believe that it's been stolen by creatures of the dark."

Gale stared at the pyramid balefully "Unfortunately, we need to figure out how to get in."
"I just opened the door" Gaius said, gesturing.
"You only think you did. Look inside, see what you can spot."
Gaius peered into the dark corridor inside, and waited for his eyes to make out the scene.
"But...there's nothing there! It's just an empty passage, no door on the other end."
"It looks that way, doesn't it? I'll tell you what's here." Gale started.

"This entrance is designed so that no-one can enter the pyramid without help.
When you open the outside door, an interesting system slams a different door shut, further on the passage.
When you close the outside door, the inner one opens. Got it so far?"
"I do. Can't you just enter the pyramid and close the outer door from the inside?"
"Nope. Look at this."
Gaius looked at the door. The inside had no doorknob.

"Okay. So, you just-"
"Someone has to shut the door from the outside and-" here Gale shivered, "seal us in, before the inner door will open.
I was hoping that one could open both doors at once, but that seems impossible."
"Just get one of your team to handle the door, then. You have enough people."
"I need them all to recover the relic. A priest is due here soon to let us all in, but you showing up just saved us some time."
"Huh?"
"If you stay outside and handle the door, all the rest of us can go in.
Go on, Gaius. I really do insist."

DeletedUser13682

Marius laughed. "You really expect me to stay out here alone, while you and your men go in there, retrieve a possible artifact of much power, for why else would the dark want it, and allow you to recieve the award? Oh no, I think not. You!" Marius pointed to what looked like the least useful Egyptian. "You'll close the door behind us. I'll go in with the rest of the group. Everybody wins. Agreed?"

DeletedUser14280

"Take a hike, chowderhead." the least useful egyptian said.
"It's not an artifact of great power, Gaius" Gale said. "It's just valuable. You know, like a crown and jewels.
And I need every single last egyptian here. You'll notice I said egyptian, no romans needed."
Gaius growled, and started to say something, but:
"I'm here, Gale!"
An egyptian priest was striding along the sand right towards them.

(Wanted: More people.)

DeletedUser

CURRENT

Aquila breathed heavily, as he wiped an entire handful of sweat from his sunburnt face. The albino was physically absolutely miserable, but mentally, he was in complete bliss. He was free, for the first time in his life, he could go where he pleased and decide what he wanted to do.

Ahead of the gladiator, Aquila could see a triangle shape floating above the next dune, Aquila smiled, he would go and see. The horse under him, a parting gift from Maximus, labored up the sand dune, sand and grit were squashed under the animal's hooves. Finally, Aquila could see what caused the triangle, it was the top of a pyramid.

It stood towering hundreds of feet above the sands, so high that Aquila would have needed to look upwards to see the top if he stood right next to it. Rejoicing in his freedom, Aquila decided he would go down.

When the albino was down beside the pyramid, he suddenly heard voices, they came from the otther side of the pyramid. Instead of leaving his weapon on his horse, like he had planned to, Aquila pulled the sheild from beside the horse and latched it onto his arm. He assumed the classic knife fighter's croutch, as he peeked around the side of the sandstone structure.

"I'm here, Gale!"

What kind of a name is Gale?

Many men stood in front of the pyramid and had opened a door going inside. A Roman stood, surrounded by the darkly tanned Eqyptians. They didn't look to friendly. A Roman, Aquila decided what he must do.

His short blade made a low whistling sound, as he withdrew the blade from it's scabbard.

"I Would suggest, Egyptians that you let my countryman alone. Let him go in peace!"

DeletedUser13682

Marius was about to protest again, when he heard a familiar sound, the sound of a blade being unsheathed. He turned around, and saw an albino man, dressed like a gladiator, demanding that the Egyptians leave him alone, besides the gladiator, Marius was the only non-Egyptian there, and they were both Roman. Marius smiled, and walked over to the gladiator. "I think I remember you. Let's see, weren't you Aquila? Yes, I believe so. You are an amazing fighter, simply wonderful. But don't worry about these Egyptians. They were just trying to make me stand out here so they can take a valuable artifact from the temple. But, my curiosity overcomes me, I must see what's in there. You, of course, can come as well, if you wish it, but we need one of the Egyptians to stay out here to work the doors."

DeletedUser14280

The priest who had just arrived stared in bemusement at the two romans.
"Um, Gale, what seems to be going on?" he inquired of the egyptian standing next to him.
"Well, the one in the fancy armor is Gaius Something, he's from Rome, he thinks that we're looking for something magical and really powerful inside this pyramid, and he wants in." Gale said.
"The other one...was his name Attila? I'm not sure, but I think he's a ex-gladiator. don't know what he came here for."

Everyone stared at the two Romans talking.
"So...are you ready to go in?" the priest asked quietly.
"Oh! Yeah, I think we're ready." Gale replied softly.
Moving quietly, the egyptian group shuffled into the dark corridor.
The priest put his hand on the door and said "Good luck."

DeletedUser

"Gaius! They're running!"

In a single fluid movement, Aquila sheathed the Gut Cutter on his shield and threw himselff towards the door. It was closing to quickly to stop, so instead of dodging through, Aquila pulled his sword from it's sheath and threw the shield at the priest.

The sharp corner of the shield hit the side of the priest's head and knocked him to the ground. A shallow gash was opened along his hairline, from which a trail of blood wormed it's way down the side of his face. The door was opened just enough for a man to walk through and Aquila stepped through, his blade held close to the priest.

"I would suggest you do not try anything like that again, or pharoah will have another body to put in his tomb."

DeletedUser14280

"Romans!" Gale muttered digustedly, "I thought your kind was meant to be more civilized."
Raising his hand, his mouth moved wordlessly, and a ball of light burst back out through the door, and into the sky.
Another silent incantation, another ball of light.
"What were those?" the Roman asked.
"I've just signalled everyone within sight that there's a problem here." Gale said with a smirk.
"I'd advise you to leave now, before the guards arrive and arrest you for assault." he indicated the priest.

"In the meantime..." Gale flicked his hand, and the rest of his party quickly passed around weapons.
"Our lord Ptolemy VI would flip if he learned that a couple of outsiders broke into this pyramid." the Egyptian said quietly, now with a wicked dagger in his hand.
"As such, I cannot allow you to go any further."

DeletedUser

Name:Galipus
Gender/Age:Male/31
Homeworld:Light
Appearance:Tall,fragile looking with a very lean body.Black hair down to the bottom of his neck and a jet black goatee.Tanned skin, blue eyes, plain clothes.
Resemblance:A jet black demon.
Skills:Healing,Magic and excellent fighter with a staff.
Equipment/Magic:Wooden Staff.Ability to zap people with lightning from his hand & ability to heal any wound.
Special Powers:Ability to kill anyone with his hand, but is limited to only to once a day.
Signature:A dark tatoo on his right shoulder shows he is a True Priest.

Galipus walked down to the pyramid as usual to see it before he went to the Temple to pray as he always did.He saw two Romans discussing something ahead of Galipus and Galipus looked at them disapprovingly.'Why do Romans stay in Egypt when they have all of Italy!' Galipus thought to himself as he himself walked to them slowly and asked what is it they want."If you want to go into the pyramid, then you'll need to go to the Priest of Pyramid's" Galipus said annoyed at how all Roman's wanted to know everything that happens."I am the High Priest, but do not ask me.Ask the Priest of Pyramid's or atleast one of his lessers".He then moved on slowly to the Temple leaving his words hanging in the Roman's ears.

DeletedUser13682

Maruis laughed at this. "Please. We can take any men you Egyptians throw at us. Do not cause more trouble for us. I am starting to get annoyed at your rudeness." Just then some other man, calling himself a high priest walked up to them. "Great. Another Egyptian. Look, for all of you who question our permission, here you go." Marius took a scroll out of a bag at his side, and unrolled it. It was, basically, a permission slip from Ptolemy VI, allowing Marius, and anybody with him, access to anything. "There you go. So, quite the opposite is true. Ptolemy would be angry to hear that a favored guest and his companion were denied access to one of the places that they would like to visit."

DeletedUser14280

Gale snatched the scroll out of Marius's hands and read it.
"Hmm-hm-hm...signed by Ptolemy...alright, fine." he rolled it up again.
"You can come, roman, but your friend's name isn't on this list."
"Yes it is, see, right there. And a few other names." Marius pointed out.
"Oh, for goodness sakes...alright, you can both come. But try to stay out of our way."
Turning his back on them, Gale started to march straight into the pyramid's dark corridor.
Before taking a few steps, he raised his finger and said "I suppose that you want to come too, Galipus?"
"Galipus? That's his name?" Aquila asked, turning to look at the high priest.
"Yes. And mine is Gale. So are we going or not?"

DeletedUser

"I'll come, just to see that no Roman defiles the Pyramid while I am in the area" Galipus said while he walked slowly after the Egyptians and Romans."Ptolemey may have quite a lot of power, but I can easily destroy all passage to the inside of the Pyramid".Galipus looked at the Pyramid and saw that it was so well designed and built that the Royal Pyramid Builder must have given the orders to build this pyramid.

DeletedUser

"I would not try and trick us again, egyptian, next time I won't be so friendly." Aquila growled, as he pulled his shield from the ground and safed his blade on it.

Aquila took his place beside Marius, still eyeing the egyptians with a mixture of disdain and distrust.

DeletedUser13682

Marius nodded. "It's true. Don't trick us. And don't worry. We won't trick you in any way, shape, or form. That's a promise, and we keep our promises." Marius walked inside the pyramid entrance, and turned around. "Hey, Aquila. Just curious about something. Why did you choose Egypt to come to? It's obvious that you're free now, and that's great, I'm proud of you, but why Egypt? Don't worry, I won't do anything, based on your answer, it's just like before. My curiosity overcomes me."

DeletedUser

Aquila scratched his albino head, his hair was starting to grow long, and thought about why. He certainly hadn't known where he was going when he rode out of the gladiator training ground, all he knewwas that where he was going was far from there.

His bone white skin had started to hurt from it's severe sunburn "I didn't know which way I was going. I just rode out by the nearest exit and just rode in a straight line. All the way to this god forsaken swath of dirt."

DeletedUser

Name: Aapep
Gender/Age: Male, 14
Homeworld: Light
Appearance: Tanned, Short black hair , sharp brown eyes and ragged clothing
Resemblance: A Snake
Skills: Knives, Climbing and hiding
Equipment/Magic: Pick locks, disguises, knives.
Special Powers: Ability to be unseen by others for short times
Signature: Leaves an etched snake wherever he steals from

Young Aapep was a member of a band of thieves.
One night as Aapep and his fellow thieves were robbing a carpenters shop , they were caught, they all ran but most were taken by the soldiers.
Aapep stood still and hardly breathed , a soldier looked him straight in the eye but didnt do anything. He watched as his friends were taken away - it was then that he realized he had an ability to be invisible.

From that day Aapep robbed for food and money until one day he tried something bigger, he had a dream the night before and in the dream a snake had told him his destiny.... there was no escaping it the snake had said.

And sure enough the next day he felt a strange tug drawing him to the pyramid.

DeletedUser14280

"We don't need lovebirds on this expedition." Gale muttered, too quietly to be heard by Gaius or Aquila.
"Are you ready to go?" the priest outside asked.
Gale started to say something, but Galipus held up an hand.
"Yes, we're ready to go." he said. The priest outside slowly pushed the outside door shut, slamming it with a thud.

It was pitch black inside the corridor, and silent except for the party's fidgeting.
After a few seconds, the party could hear a door sliding open within.
"Have your eyes adjusted to the darkness yet, Romans?" Gale asked.
"Almost. You should've brought torches." Gaius growled.
FLASH! Gale's skin lit up like a bright candle, driving back the dark atmosphere. Gale snickered.
"Eh-heh-heh-heh...I don't think we need torches just yet."