The current dueling system is unfair and makes no sense

zehunter

As someone who duels frequently, I've realized the way that the system is set up is inherently unfair. Because you can duel anyone at any time, duels are always heavily skewed in favor of the attacker, as they can optimize their gear beforehand where as the defender can often be caught in work clothes. Second, I have no idea why dueling level exists as a mechanic because a higher player level is an inherent advantage (more skill points, health, better gear, etc.) but when you duel frequently, your dueling level becomes incredibly inflated, allowing player much higher level than you duel you.

The reason I am writing this post is because several times this week, I have woken up to see my level 87 dueller passed out from a duel with someone 40+ player levels higher. While one can make the argument that the higher leveled attacker receives little experience, this only incentivizes players to duel players as low level as possible to keep dueling levels low. Furthermore, higher-leveled attackers still receive the same amount of cash I believe, so this makes the game frustrating for lower level players who can't do much and have progress inhibited by constantly passing out.

If anyone can initiate a duel at any time, why does it make sense that a level 150 player can challenge a level 87 player and be called fair?

This is just one of many, many problems with the game but this is in my opinion one of the most frustrating.

Pankreas PorFavor

As someone who duels frequently, I've realized the way that the system is set up is inherently unfair. Because you can duel anyone at any time, duels are always heavily skewed in favor of the attacker, as they can optimize their gear beforehand where as the defender can often be caught in work clothes.

As someone who also dueled quite a lot over the years, I would argue that this is the part of the concept of the game, and reflecting the reality of the real wild west - you could get ambushed by outlaws at any time, and you better be prepared - wear duel gear, have a dueling build (this, of course, brings up another point - if duels should really be called "duels"?). There's a negative side to it, of course - you'll be bad at other parts of the game. And this is where things get interesting, and why so many different styles of play are available. You can choose your own path, be a dueler, quester, FFer... Specialize for one, suck at other. You get the most benefits (e.g. pure trader in luck clothes, earning money and finding expensive items) only with most risks (being defenseless, risking that someone will take the money you earn on the job).
That's the beauty of the game - you can't be the best at everything at once.

Second, I have no idea why dueling level exists as a mechanic because a higher player level is an inherent advantage (more skill points, health, better gear, etc.) but when you duel frequently, your dueling level becomes incredibly inflated, allowing player much higher level than you duel you.

Duel level is an interesting concept, and it works quite well most of the time. For example, you are level 87, and have a duel level 140. You duel a lot, get duel xp and your DL rises. You have duel gear, your skill/attribute points are assigned to dueling. And then there's a level 150 player with DL at 150 because they don't duel at all, all their points are assigned to jobs or fort related skills. You will win a duel against this player easily when they are in work/luck clothes. And when the level 150 player changes to duel clothes, they get duel skills from their gear only (you get them from gear and SP/AP assignment) - and now they win when they attack you. Sounds fair to me. Both of you can win a duel when you go against each other.
What I think you propose is a game without a separate duel level, and you can attack players 10 (20? 5 or 10%) levels above/below you? Something like that was proposed a lot of times over the years. In that game, players with a similar level like yours who are skilled for other aspects of the game have no chance against you in a duel. What would that mean - people would need to be skilled for duels, or just let you beat them day in, day out. Doesn't sound fair to me...
Duel level is there to separate those who want to duel, and those who don't. Yes, a lot of things got implemented over the years that let the players decrease their DL and start dueling those who aren't skilled or interested in dueling at all, but this is still just another dimension of the game that you need to take in account when you're deciding on your strategy.

The reason I am writing this post is because several times this week, I have woken up to see my level 87 dueller passed out from a duel with someone 40+ player levels higher. While one can make the argument that the higher leveled attacker receives little experience, this only incentivizes players to duel players as low level as possible to keep dueling levels low. Furthermore, higher-leveled attackers still receive the same amount of cash I believe, so this makes the game frustrating for lower level players who can't do much and have progress inhibited by constantly passing out.

You remind me of something that a townie posted in our forum recently. He is a pure trader, level = DL = 150. He got attacked by a player who is level 78. That's 72 levels difference, hundreds of skill points! But even with so many points advantage he lost the duel 1500-50, and almost got KOed. That players took his money, got experience points and all the other rewards that come from winning a duel. My townie changed to duel clothes and hit back. His attacker got KOed. To me, this sounds as fair as it gets.
What you propose is that level 78 player could not attack level 150 player? And this level player could only hit other players of the same level, where most of them have no chance to fight back? They would be faced with a choice to abandon their favorite play style and put their SP/AP in dueling skills, or to accept that they will lose duels and get knocked out on a regular basis. Hmmm, doesn't sound fair to me...
Of course, they can also initiate duels with an intention to lose and get KOed every 72h, then play worry-free for the next 3 days. That's an option - but that's an option when you will complain that you have nobody to duel with because everyone is KOed. There would still be other duelers (similar level and DL like you) out there that you can attack - but they are here today also. As it is today, you can duel those players who are not skilled for duels, but have a high level and more SP/AP than you and they can fight back when they change gear, or you can duel other players of your level who also like dueling and have an inflated DL. In both cases, winning a duel can be a challenge for you. Sounds fair to me...

If anyone can initiate a duel at any time, why does it make sense that a level 150 player can challenge a level 87 player and be called fair?

Because there is a higher level of probability that two players in that duel have a chance to win, or at least retaliate in a returned duel.
Without the duel level, you're just bullying people who are defenseless most of the time.

This is just one of many, many problems with the game but this is in my opinion one of the most frustrating.

I agree, there are many problems with this game, but the one you're describing is the smallest.
Also, remember that the frustration you're feeling now is the same frustration that many other players felt when you were dueling them and increasing your duel level so high. Re-think your playing strategy, maybe explore other parts of the game and learn that it's not so one-dimensional as winning duels against players who can't defend themselves ;)

Have fun!

Last edited:

Poker Alice

As someone who duels frequently, I've realized the way that the system is set up is inherently unfair. Because you can duel anyone at any time, duels are always heavily skewed in favor of the attacker, as they can optimize their gear beforehand where as the defender can often be caught in work clothes. Second, I have no idea why dueling level exists as a mechanic because a higher player level is an inherent advantage (more skill points, health, better gear, etc.) but when you duel frequently, your dueling level becomes incredibly inflated, allowing player much higher level than you duel you.

My concern is for any members who have become frustrated with the game. I'm writing this comment not to be critical but helpful. Basically I see settings as a baseline for game play and if someone thinks a setting can be improved then certainly it is worth looking into (management level). Keep in mind though that one type of player for example an extremely active dueler will not have the same viewpoint as a worker, etc.

In short, every player might like a different setting?

Perhaps we can try to find a way to work around a challenge that the game might toss our way? Try not to become frustrated but deal with any current imperfections (if that is what they are) as they arise? Frustration our worst enemy?