The Colonel's Ravings

DeletedUser

The Colonel's Ravings (Stories)

I just found the West a couple of days ago, and I saw that stories were allowed on the forums. I am going to use this thread for a few stories I would like to get comment on. :)

The Colonel

First up is called The Travails of Ages.

Oort Cloud, Sol System

The Megellen Class Scout, the UTS Henry Hudson, seemed to effortlessly slide though the Oort cloud, avoiding both the occasional large asteroid and the thousands of smaller chunks. At the scout’s sensor controls David Denton Dryer worked hard scanning all of the various floating rocks while, at the same time, trying to track the trajectories of the ones that posed a possible threat to the ship.

So why was David here in this desolate region of space? After all, considering it was probably the most desolate place to patrol anywhere within the Sol system. The answer was, of course, money. The pay is good, not great but good and patrolling the Oort cloud was the highest pay of all for a scout crew. David had been surprised to find that he was quickly saving enough money to be able to live a very comfortable life, even in New York, when he retired in fifteen years.

David had been amazed to find out he was regarded by everyone in the nascent Terran National Astronautics and Survey Administration as the best navigator in the Oort cloud. Why was that a bystander would ask, and was told that because, unlike the UTAF pilots who could ‘feel’ their ships, David had never once bumped into anything. Not one scrape or scratch. Everybody knew that he would never have made a good starfighter pilot, but as a NASA navigator he was without peer.

The job itself was fairly easy, along with the patrol duties the mining mega-corps’ would rent out the survey ships from the fleet. So the Hudson took the prospecting teams out to the various asteroids and they took core samples, then the ship would take them back to base where the core samples were analyzed. This allowed the best asteroids to be mined first.

The prospecting team currently assigned to David’s ship called themselves ‘the gold diggers’ and they where led by Gary Snyder. Gary and David had become fast friends over the last two years they had been working together.

Gary entered the small bridge and asked, “You want a cup o’ Joe, Triple D?” He said using David’s nickname.

“Sure Snyd,” David replied, as he concentrated on the controls in front of him. In the back of his mind he had often wondered why his parents had named him David Denton when their family’s last name was Dryer. As it was he thought his parents had a cruel sense of humor to name him David Denton Dryer and that had, from his earliest days at school, earned him the not too imaginative nickname ‘Triple D’.

“I’ll be back in a moment,” Gary said as he disappeared into the small galley just behind the bridge.

The Hudson carefully moved around one of the larger boulders in the area and entered a very dense cluster of small metallic asteroids. The Hudson slowed to a fraction of full power and began to negotiate the hazardous debris field. She inched through the field, mainly using radar, to avoid the dangerous chunks spinning nearby. Most of them would disintegrate if they hit the scout’s armor, but an occasional one would be large and dense enough to get through the hull. It only took one of those to make your day really bad.

David noticed the radar screen seemed to be playing games. Occasionally, he thought, he would get reflected images of something ahead of the scout. Suddenly he wasn’t getting an echo back from part of the display, so he began a systems diagnostics check. If the radar had developed a problem it would be suicide to continue the survey sweep.

As he worked though the systems check he heard the Captain, Lucas Paulson, exclaim, “In the name of God, what is that, David?” He asked, sounding very shocked.

David looked up from the diagnostic screen where he glanced at the viewscreen, and swallowed. A good third of the view was filled with a dark mass. David looked down at the radar and realized that part of the huge mass was blocking the scan. Worryingly, the rest of whatever it was did not seem to be blocking anything.

“Derelict ship of some sort, maybe?” David whispered. He looked back at the radar screen. It did not make sense why only part of the radar screen was occulded!

“Can’t be one of ours,” Captain Paulson said, sounding less shocked. “That thing is huge, and look at the size of that asteroid embedded in the side of it.”

“Ah ha, I see the problem now.” David said eventually.

“See what?” Captain Paulson said as he came up beside David and peered at the radar screen.

“This cloud seems to consist of small metallic asteroids, and they are scattering most of the radar waves, except for here,” David said, pointing at the screen. “So we are only receiving telemetry returns at the point where we have a clear view all the way to... whatever it is.”

“Shall we have a closer look?” David asked.

“Get us in close. Let’s see if it’s a ship or just an odd shaped rock,” the Captain said suddenly.

The Hudson edged forward at a crawl. Very soon they could tell it was indeed a ship. A massive ship. Vast beyond anything the Terrans had ever imagined. The most disturbing thing to the crew of the Hudson was the size of the asteroid that had impacted amidships. It was truly immense and it underscored just how large this ship truly was.

As they neared the ship they could see its surface bore scorch marks and seemed to have been breached in several dozen places. The breaches were large, they were big enough for a giant of a man to get through.

Captain Paulson was sure this was something that needed to be reported to fleet command. “Comm, prep a message for COMSPAFOR (Commander Space Forces) and include all of the data we have on this. Get it sent, ASAP.”

At that moment Gary returned to the bridge. “Mr. Snyder, I need you to prep your team for a little exploration mission.” Paulson said. Gary just stood there for a moment, slack-jawed, before heading for the team’s berth. “Aye, sir.”

---

“Are we there yet?” ‘John Henry’ Freeman said, in a parody of a small child, as Gary entered the team’s berth. Henry and the rest of the prospecting team were lounging around in their bunks. Henry was a tall and incredibly strong man. His strength often came in handy while the crew was drilling.

In a near zero gee environment you would think a person would not need strength, but in many cases to move a mass in the direction you wanted it to go took raw power and Henry had plenty of that. Behind him was Eric ‘Red Rooster’ Crowe, a small flamboyant man. The only man David had ever met with a red crest of hair attached to his helmet. Finally filling the small space to capacity was Pete ‘Quiet Man’ Hollister, who rarely spoke.

Gary ignored Henry and said, “The Captain wants us to inspect something for him, check it out.”

“Inspect what?” Henry asked and then spotted the picture Gary was carrying.

“I think we should get right to it,” Pete said. Surprising everyone with one of the longest sentences any of them had ever heard him say.

“Why?” Henry and Eric asked at the same time.

“We need to mark it and check to see if there’s anyone alive on it.” Pete said, going on in his quiet, almost a whisper, of a voice.

“There’s no way I’m going on that!” Eric said. “That’s just asking to get killed.”

“Fine,” Pete replied. “I guess we won’t be able to claim the salvage rights on it then, if it’s a ship that is.”

“According to the starmaps it’s the rock we are supposed to take a sample of,” Gary stated.

“Look at it, that’s no rock. If it’s a ship think about how much the salvage rights will be worth.” Pete said, passion now seeming to be creeping into his voice. “If it is though, we need to mark it and check for survivors or they won’t pay us.”

Someone watching the four could have picked the exact moment that each of them realized just how much the salvage would be and what it would do for their lives.

---

The ‘Gold Diggers’ arrived on the bridge just as the scout was nearing the derelict ship.

After a short search David spotted an airlock and he killed the system drive and began closing with just thrusters. The scout connected with the huge ship with a gentle clang. Small magnetic tethers closed in on the alien hull from the small craft and, thankfully, found similar magnetic linking points.

The prospecting team and made their way to the scout’s airlock. They attached their air tanks and set their E-suits to vacuum mode. Then they open the outer airlock door.
The hulks outer airlock door was jammed and they ended up having to crank it open with a handjack. Gary never did find out whom the handjack belonged to, or why anyone would have one on a space ship this size, he was just glad someone had had one!

When the team finally got the door open they found the inner lock looked like it had been ripped off of its mounting and they could see inside the ancient ship. The deck of the airlock had long scratch marks across it.

The airlock opened into a wide corridor, corridors that had lain dark for millennia. What they found would change Terran ideas about the past, forever.

“I think the universe just got a bit more interesting,” Captain Paulson commented, once the prospecting team had given their report upon returning to the Hudson.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser529

I love to read and S/F and fantasy is my favorite subjects...

Your writing style reminds me of A.E. Van Vogt.......

Your subject a little like ALIENS.

All in all I would love it if you keep going......:)

DeletedUser

I love to read and S/F and fantasy is my favorite subjects...

Your writing style reminds me of A.E. Van Vogt.......

Your subject a little like ALIENS.

All in all I would love it if you keep going......:)

Thanks for the feedback. In this story you will see a lot of nods to, and inspiration by, a lot of sci fi I have seen and read. :)

I will continue. I have a few stories I want to get critiqued. Being a self taught writer all of the feedback I can get is wonderful.

The Colonel

DeletedUser529

Just finished Robert Jordan's Massive Wheel of time series and going to be starting another large series By steven erikson Malazan Book of the Fallen.......

Sambee

The West Team
Forum moderator
Wow that's excellent thanks for that.
I don't get interested by many stories and novels but I got into this one so that means that it's an excellent story.
Well done and I hope to hear more from you.

DeletedUser

Wow that's excellent thanks for that.
I don't get interested by many stories and novels but I got into this one so that means that it's an excellent story.
Well done and I hope to hear more from you.

That was just the prologue. Still more to come. :D

The Colonel

Sol System, Three Weeks Later

President Applegate was stunned by the size of the derelict his scout had found in the Oort Cloud. It must have been at least two hundred miles long and one hundred wide. Nothing Earth could build would come anywhere near the size of that monster.

“Admiral Grumach, has anything like this ship been found in any of the other surveyed systems?”

“No, Mr. President.”

“If that’s the case, I think we may need the Romans to help us identify this derelict. Send Dr. Martin and Col. Lucas to request their help.”

“Immediately, Mr. President.”

---

Marcus Salonius Curio was tired of the diplomatic compound. The Terrans had made him feel welcome but, somehow, it still felt like a prison. Compared to the Terran government housing they had been in to start off with, the diplomatic compound was supremely depressing. It consisted of one office building and basic housing facilities, surrounded by a razor wire fence. Salonius understood that the Terrans were trying to ensure their safety, but it still did not prevent the place feeling like a prison.

The weather was beginning to turn cold and winter was in the air.

Salonius had spent much of the day reading Terran fiction. It was strange stuff. He had trouble telling who was the hero and who was the villain most of the time. Often the villain would kill several people to make a point or torture someone for information, and then would be forgiven when it turned out he had a bad childhood.

While the hero would often point out the bad things the villain had done, but would be roundly castigated for his revelations. It was only after the villain was near to accomplishing his nefarious plans that the ones who had forgiven him, grudgingly, admitted he needed to be stopped. Often while saying that it was, somehow Salonius could not fathom, society's fault for his villainy.

The Terran’s were strange in his opinion. Turning villains into heroes, while making out that those who stand up to them were in the wrong, and thusly, villains.

It almost seemed like a social parable where no one was responsible for their actions, with an odd twist to Salonius.

Salonius decided to go for a walk, to think about the differences between the Romans and Terrans. He walked around the perimeter fence and watched the gray clouds scud about the otherwise blue sky. He just stopped for a moment to watch the Terran ground troops, which were based just outside the compound, drilling when one of the Terran enlisted men ran up to him.

“Navarchus Longinus wants to see you right away,” the Terran said breathlessly.

Salonius made his way to the office building. The building was the headquarters for the compound and housed Sempronius’ office. He arrived at the building out of breath and entered.

“Go right in,” the Chief Petty Officer said, he was Sempronius’ liaison.

“Ah, Salonius, so good of you to find the time to join me.” Sempronius said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Sorry Navarchus, I was over the other side of the compound when the Terran runner found me.”

“Right. Down to business then,” Sempronius said. “I’ve been asked by the Terrans, for you and me, to go along with them to check something out. They seem to think we might be able to shed some light on whatever it is.”

“I’ve decided that we will help them. They pick us up in an hour.”

At last, something to do, Salonius thought as he walked back to his room to pack a few things.

---

A little under an hour later and Sempronius was back outside the HQ office building, along with Salonius, just as a lone Terran armored personnel carrier pulled up.

Sempronius watched the countryside slip past the APC through one of the firing ports. The land was a series of rolling hills, green and lush, despite the intense urbanization. He wondered out loud what the rest of the planet was like.

One of the Terran guards with the two Romans explained that this was the most heavily populated part the planet. It seems North America, - not Europe - became the center of human civilization once the North American Continent had united the planet nearly three centuries after their world war three.

Now, somewhere in a province called Virginia, the countryside was sprouting mile-high arcologies like weeds and the population had soared due to these massive buildings. The Terran spoke with some pride about his planet. Sempronius closed the firing port and listened as the Terran went on to explain how Earth had many differing urban zones.

After a while Sempronius found himself drifting off to sleep, wondering if this Terran knew just how close his planet was in looks compared to Roma Mater, the planet Sempronius’ people live on. Even the shapes of the continents were the spitting image of the maps he had seen back home.

Sempronius awoke with a start as the APC stopped moving and the rear hatch was opened from the outside. He could see a small shuttle on the tarmac beyond the door. The guards took no chances with their safety and hustled them quickly onto the small craft.

“Strap in, we’ll be taking off in a minute.” The shuttle pilot said over the intercom.

Almost as soon as they had strapped in the tiny vessel leapt into the air. Initially with primitive - to Sempronius’ eyes - chemical rockets. Then without any warning the ion drive was engaged and all the G forces on them vanished.

Sempronius watched the Blue-Green planet shrink below them as the shuttle entered orbit and began heading for the Terran Heavy Cruiser, the UTS Ranger. As a Navarchus he rarely had the time, when departing a starport, to watch the receding spectacle of a life-bearing planet amongst the empty blackness of the galaxy around it.

When he did get the chance he always tried to make the most out of the sight. All too soon the planet had shrunk to the size of a silver dollar while the shuttle was approaching the Cruiser.

The shuttles outer hatch opened and Sempronius removed the restraining straps and got out of the acceleration couch. Salonius following suit.

As the two of them moved towards the hatch a low ranking Terran crewman entered, “please follow me.” She said in a pleasant sounding voice. The two Romans followed the young woman through the ship and entered the room she had taken them to.

The room turned out to be the bridge of the Cruiser. “Welcome aboard,” Colonel Gina Lucas said. “I’m sorry about the secrecy surrounding our asking you to join us, but some of the things found on that derelict would cause the government major headaches if the general populace found out about them. I need your word of honor that you will not pass on this information to anyone but your Emperor. Do I have your word you will not pass this on?”

“Absolutely,” the two Romans said in unison.

“To continue,” Doctor Daniel Martin said, “We have found something out in Sol’s Oort Cloud and we would like you to take a look at it, along with our own experts. It’s possible your people have some experience with the sort of things that we have found and that knowledge could be very helpful.

"I understand that you may have reservations about sharing your knowledge. However, we are underway for the Oort cloud even as we speak. I will have the video recordings of what was found out there brought to you, and I would like for you to view them before we arrive at the derelict."

---

The next two days were very disquieting for the two Romans. The primitive magnetic tape videos were brought to their quarters and they sat watching them as horrible visions played out before their eyes.

They watched as the investigative team turned a corner and found the first remains. It was little more than a bag of bones in a red and gold spacesuit. Sempronius burst out, “Salonius, back up and scroll in on the patch on the right arm.”

Salonius did as the Navarchus asked, and when he got the image re-sized and focused both Romans were stunned by what they saw, on the sleeve of the corpse was the sigil of Roma, Roma Mater, from the Lost Terra Mater, were the letters S-PQ-R, surrounded by a laurel wreath.

“How is this possible?” Salonius asked out loud, more to himself than to Sempronius.

Sempronius responded as if the question had been directed at him. “According to the records of the kidnapping from Terra Mater the Roman people who were kidnapped fought to the man against the terrors from the sky.

"So, by all that we know, there should be no crew with that sigil on their suits. This ship, and their Roman crewmen, should should not be here.” Sempronius sounded as if his entire world had just been turned upside down.

Sempronius locked eyes with Salonius and asked, “Do you think it’s one of the slave ships, from here, from Terra?” He asked, the confusion building in his mind.

“It looks like it, but it can’t be, can it?” Salonius knew he sounded shocked, but so did Sempronius.

“Lets see what else they have to show us before we say anything.” Sempronius said, sounding both surprised and excited at the same time.

“Agreed.” Salonius said. It can’t be anything else, Salonius thought, being very careful not to say anything that might upset the Navarchus. It seems he is taking this revelation badly. However, Salonius knew the shape was too distinct. Too close to the design of the slaver ships that are on Roma Mater, in the museum of the revolt.

The Oort Cloud being six weeks, by system drive, from Terra gave the two plenty of time to study the videos intimately, and every time they viewed it they could not help but think - somehow - the Romans had gotten control of at least one slave ship from their enslavers.

---

Eventually the expected knock arrived at their door. Sempronius opened it to find Dr. Martin waiting outside. “Ready to see what all the fuss was about?” Daniel asked, with a smile on his face.

“show us the way.” Sempronius said, all business.

“Then follow me McDuff.” Daniel said with a smile.

“What is this ‘McDuff’?” Sempronius asked with some confusion.

Daniel gave a short chuckle. “It’s a cartoon dog who teaches children ways to avoid crimes and criminals. I figured this derelict is a crime scene, so said to myself, what the heck.” He said with a big grin.

Daniel smiled to himself and continued, “we’re nearing the site, so I’ve been sent to bring you to the bridge so you can see what’s going on.”

The two Romans followed the young Terran to the bridge. On the main viewscreen they could see a dense field of small asteroids. For a moment Sempronius thought he could see something within the rock cloud. As the ship moved in they could hear the small asteroids popping on the shields. Suddenly a huge shape appeared on the screen.

As the Ranger closed in on the huge ship Sempronius could see more detail. “They’ve been attacked,” He said out loud.

“Yes, that’s one of the things we wanted to show you since the videos did not have on it any of the boarding actions we have come across.” Gina Lucas said. “Is the ship familiar at all?”

“Familiar yes, but I need to inspect it before I can be sure it’s what I think it is.” Sempronius said, avoiding the fact that he was positive he knew what it was already.

DeletedUser

---

The Ranger docked with the ship and a party from the bridge, including Gina, Daniel, the Navarchus, and Salonius, made their way down to the airlock. When they arrived they found that Terran Marines had already entered the ship and secured the entrance.

The party connected air tanks to their spacesuits. Once they were all ready they made their way onto the ship. The more they saw, the more Sempronius became sure this was what both he and Salonius thought it was. Everything matched far too well, but what in the name of Pluto was it doing here?

Corridors that had lain dark for millennia were briefly illuminated as the two Romans and the two Terrans moved through the wrecked ship. The asteroid impact had torn through the surface of the derelict, burrowing in until it came to rest, nearly vertical, to what little gravity the mass was producing. Its life support systems were long dead, and the four explorers had been using their spacesuit’s magnetic clamps and oxygen packs ever since they had left the Ranger behind.

They turned the corner where the first remains had been located on the video. On a closer examination Sempronius could tell the corpse and it’s E-suit had once been from Roma Mater, or something very similar. If these people were from Roma Mater he could not see how they could be out here in the Sol system’s Oort cloud, on a Draugir slave ship, all of these years. It made no sense to him.

Part of the corpse’s right side had a hole in it that appeared to have been bitten off. Moreover, judging by the way that it had partially rotted this had happened before the great ship had been opened to space.

After passing through several sections, relatively free of structural damage, Gina heard a hiss from behind her. She turned to look for the source, but saw nothing. She heard the rest of the party come to a halt.

“What is it?” Gina asked. She then noticed a thin wire hanging from a damaged control bundle; the party’s passage had caused it to scrape over the metal casing of the tube below it, nothing more. She turned back to the party, and found herself looking into eyes as black as the lowest pits of Hell, two cold openings into a darkness that may have existed before the stars were born. Her breath caught in her throat, and she almost stumbled backwards.

Salonius spun around, thinking Gina had seen something behind her. “What? Did you see something?”

Gina looked at him for a moment, then blinked and looked back at the loose wire hanging beside her, which had scraped to a halt. “No,” she said, “nothing. Just a trick of the light.” Salonius shrugged and followed Sempronius and Daniel forward, towards the stern of the ship.

“I don’t like this vessel at all, it gives me the creeps.” Gina said, her white spacesuit looking absurd and out of place on this derelict ship of the damned.

Sempronius knew what she meant. The ship felt dead. He could almost hear the ghosts stirring deep within it. He just hoped that none of them felt like coming out to play with the four of them.

The quartet continued on down the corridor and after a few hundred yards it turned right. As they passed each hatchway along the corridor they took a quick look in. Each cabin had been ransacked. All of the furniture had been either smashed or seemed to be missing. There was no sign of anymore of the Roman crew, or whom ever they were.

Daniel stopped abruptly, noticing a bit of color among the remains of a broken power conduit. Salonius, his attention fixed on the motion tracker, nearly bumped into him.

“Look at this,” Daniel said, excitedly. “The conduit has been repaired, just enough to run minimal power through to the forward sections. It looks like the internal explosions were from weapons fire, rather than the asteroid impact, which caused the original damage.

"I think someone survived when this thing was impacted by that asteroid we saw.” Daniel waited for a reply, but received none. Turning, he looked down the empty corridor.

“Navarchus, Gina? Where are you guys at?” He shouted out. Daniel turned both ways, but was answered only by the faint echo of his own voice. “Salonius, where are you?” To both sides of him the corridor stretched on, empty until it vanished beyond his vision. “Gina!” He shouted out again.

“What?”

Daniel nearly jumped out of his skin as a hand touched his shoulder. He quickly turned to see Sempronius standing behind him, motion tracker in hand, and a puzzled look on his face.

“I lost track of you all for a moment,” Daniel answered, his voice sounding slightly weak.

They followed the corridor for a time and turned another corner where they found themselves face to face with a scene of utter destruction. The corridor had once ended at a set of double doors, which were missing. Instead it now opened into a larger area. At one end someone had built a barricade and tried to defend the room. The room was littered with dead. Most of the dead were wearing the Red and Gold E-Suits they had seen on the first corpse.

However, a few were something else, they were gray furred and bipedal. They appeared to the Terrans like a visage out of a horror movie. They were covered in a fine fur and seemed to be the spitting image of, a werewolf from the movies and legends.

Sempronius examined one more closely and realized that these were the terrors from the sky. Their heads were wolf-like with long curving canines peeking out from their dessicated jaws extending from each side of their mouth. The overall effect was to invoke, in the minds of the two Romans, the nightmare Roman mothers would scare their children to sleep with, the Draugir, the terrors from the sky, were coming to take them away.

They were well-armed and armored, and not something the group wanted to meet alive and in the flesh.

Most of the bodies seemed to be armed with an assortment of beam weapons. “It looks like the terrors, the wolf things, fought these humans and judging by the number of dead from each side it looked like the wolves had had the upper hand.” Sempronius said with revulsion in his voice from the thought of fighting the Draugir.

“They do look like us, don’t they?” Salonius said in amazement.

“Yes, they look like us, but they cannot be from Roma Mater. This ship is configured wrong, along with the crew wearing the insignia of the Terran, not Roma Mater, version of the S-PQ-R.” Sempronius said from the back of the group.

They continued through the large room, which appeared to have been some sort of mess hall and out of the back. Once again, there had been s set of double doors here and they were also missing.

They entered another corridor that seemed to have been fought over as hard as the mess hall. Part of the way down the corridor they came upon a blast door that had been ripped apart. Long gouges criss-crossed the remains of the door. Beyond the blast doors the corridor turned right once more. As they turned the corner all four of them stopped in shock.

Filling the corridor was a creature that looked to be a cybernetic composite organism. The huge alien had definite flight characteristics. It had appendages, two sets of them, with a head-like structure not unlike a Terran alligator. The creature had thick scales and looked like a nightmare version of a bi-pedal dragon. It was definitely an apex predator.

The nightmarish creature in front of them had cybernetic implants far superior to any technology seen by any of the quartet. They seemed to be able to generate appendages, using them as weapons as necessary. It had three sets of large coal-black eyes near the top of its scaled head. The skin of the creature itself seemed to blend into the surrounding bulkheads, like some sort of camouflage.

They could see it was dead, but the sight was disturbing in the extreme. As they closed in on the thing it was clear that it had just broken through another blast door when something had blown a hole, two feet wide, into it’s chest. As they approached it the quartet noticed that two of the things massive appendages were six foot long cyber-organic blades.

Gina - as a scientist - was mesmerized by the spectacle in front of her. “This particular alien seems to be a close assault species.” She said with fascination in her voice.

Sempronius had trouble imagining facing that thing in combat. Even floating dead in the middle of the corridor it almost made him stop in fear.

Beyond the huge alien the corridor was full of the dead wolf aliens and then at its far end the quartet found a human weapons team. They had been ripped apart, presumably by the 'werewolves'. The door behind the weapons team was missing - ripped completely out of the bulkhead - and they passed through it into a cavernous room. Sempronius estimated it must fill nearly the entire bow of this massive ship.

It was filled with row upon row of man-sized tubes. There must have been tens of thousands of them, maybe even millions. Most of the tubes were empty, but in an occasional one they could see humans in various colored uniforms, yellow, gray and purple, with the S-PQ-R patch on one side, all apparently asleep. Some of the tubes had been smashed and all around the four they could make out the remains of more humans, which seemed to have been ripped apart.

The floor was covered in dead. “It’s like something from a nightmare. It’s like seeing an alien attack on one of our colony ships. However, I know they can’t be from Roma Mater, but I will bet my bottom sesterce they are from Earth!” Sempronius stated, matter-of-factly.

“What in the black pits of Pluto happened here?” Salonius asked, very confused. “There can’t be anyone else alive, can there?”

---

The party continued to head towards the stern of the ship. It seemed to them that most of the internal areas of the derelict had been twisted by the asteroid’s impact. Although, near the center of the hull Gina’s probe located a cluster of bays and cabins relatively intact, shielded from most of the destruction by the mass of the ship's armored power relays. They followed a corridor down into the ship, until they came to a wall of steel that had cut through the passage like a knife.

“The Asteroid must have forced back the bulkhead,” Daniel said, his eyes on his probe’s screen, “there is a minimal atmosphere on the other side.”

“Any way to get in without compromising the seal?” Sempronius asked as he ran his hand over the ship’s bulkhead, feeling its smooth surface through the pressure nodes in his glove.

“There is some sort of chamber ten yards to our right,” Daniel answered. “It could be an airlock, but I don’t see a connecting corridor on our side, I think we’ll have to cut through to it.”

“Salonius, use your laser, on it's tightest possible beam, and be careful,” Gina added. With only the possibility of an atmosphere, and an unstable one at that, the hand-held flamethrowers had been left behind.

Salonius adjusted the confinement beam on his laser, and then fired the weapon on its lowest power setting. Daniel kept a watch on the structure of the corridor as the heat from the laser began to cut through the wall, noting that the damage seemed to be having no serious consequences to the wreck’s stability. After a few moments Salonius had cut away three edges of a rectangle of metal large enough to move through once he had bent it downwards.

The red-hot cuts quickly cooled, and Sempronius stepped through. The bulkhead continued through to his left, disappearing through the corridor’s opposite wall.

“There’s a junction five yards to the right,” Sempronius said, “we should be able to get through to the airlock from there.”

Sempronius led the way to the junction, turning into a short passage that ran parallel to the folded back bulkhead. When he judged he had gone far enough along the passage he found a hatchway, half-open, leading back towards the bulkhead. He forced it open a little further and ducked into the room beyond.

It had been a maintenance station of some sort, the walls lined with racks for tools and replacement parts. Most of the parts lay against the other bulkhead, obviously thrown there during the collision with the asteroid that had struck the ship.

The supply room’s technician was hanging off to the side, speared through the chest by a part of the bulkhead’s framework that had been driven clean through the deck and into the ceiling. The loss of atmosphere had preserved the body, but his skin looked dry and brittle. Sempronius passed by the corpse and cleared some of the parts from the intruding bulkhead, finding what seemed to be an airlock beneath, at a slight angle to the deck.

“Is this safe to open?” Sempronius asked.

Gina ran her probe over the airlock’s surface. “The inner hatchway scans as secure, no decay in the seals that I can see. It should be all right.” Sempronius nodded and grabbed a hold of the handle set into the airlock hatch.

“Brace yourselves,” Sempronius warned, as he felt the hatch’s airlock give way. “Inside pressure,” he said when the door refused to budge. “Salonius, grab a hold of me.” Salonius quickly moved into the small space and grabbed Sempronius’ spacesuit around the waist.

The Navarchus planted his boots on the deck and pushed against the hatch, driving his spacesuit’s limited strength enhancers to their limit. There was a tiny motion from the hatch, then a rush of air from inside and the hatch swung open. Sempronius overbalanced, but Salonius’ hold kept him from falling into the airlock.

The inside of the airlock was unremarkable, merely a chamber with a hatch at each end. Sempronius checked the control panel beside the inner hatchway and confirmed that there was still enough power in the system to use it. Gina, the last into the airlock, pulled the outer hatch shut behind her and locked it.

At the press of a button on the hatchway controls atmosphere hissed back into the chamber. Once the pressure had risen far enough the inner hatch opened automatically, revealing a dusty corridor, dimly lit by a yellow light set into the bulkhead.

Sempronius stepped out of the airlock, and felt his stomach lurch as the ship’s gravity took hold. He deactivated his magnetic boots and looked around as the other three joined him. The four deactivated their life support systems once Sempronius had confirmed that the environment was safe, their helmets sliding neatly back into the collars of their spacesuits.

“Still no life signs,” Daniel reported, “one of the ship’s reactors is that way. It seems to be powering the lights and environmentals. There’s a faint power source the other way, I think it may be an auxiliary bridge.”

“Check the reactor,” Gina said to Daniel, motioning for Salonius to join him, “make sure it will hold out, and look for any signs of life. Sempronius, with me. We’ll check the bridge.” Sempronius nodded and followed the diminutive Terran Colonel along the corridor, towards the bow of the ship, as Salonius and Daniel vanished into the dim light behind them.

DeletedUser

---

“We’re in the reactor room, Gina,” Daniel said, his voice faint through the comm unit in Gina’s spacesuit, “we’ve found evidence of repairs subsequent to the impact, but some of the power relays are breaking down. Do you mind if I make some repairs to the environmental systems?”

“If you think it’s safe,” Gina answered, “we’re on the auxiliary bridge now. No signs of life, but some of the main core databanks are still intact; Sempronius says this ship is nearly identical to one of their colony ships and thinks we might be able to retrieve the logs. Do what you can, then come forward and meet us on the auxiliary bridge.”

“Affirmative,” the reply came back, a second or two before the comm channel went silent. Gina went back to helping Semnpronius in her efforts to access the uncooperative databanks.

“Connect processor cores three and five.” Sempronius called out to Gina, who had crawled into the service duct behind the auxiliary bridge’s main display console. “I think that’s the logs section, at least according to these archaic schematics it is, then shunt some power through them. After that we can try to fix some of the series three databanks.”

A moment later the single undamaged screen flickered into life, displaying an interface. Sempronius selected the Ships Log option for the review function and began to read the log entries, which were posted in a strange version of Latin.

---

Lying on her back in the cramped service duct Gina began to, carefully, rewire the databank accesses, shunting the required power into the damaged memory core. A substantial portion of the ancient computer system had been burned out by an electrical fire.

Although, enough of the databank arrays remained that some information could be retrieved from them. Patiently, Gina began work on the first of the undamaged data modules in the upper of the series-three databanks.

She had completed her work on twenty of the modules when she felt a bead of sweat trickle down her cheek. She remembered feeling cold in the ship’s corridors. She assumed that the confined space was preventing the heat from escaping.

The main computer core was right below her, she could hear a slight whirring sound as the heat sinks came back to life with each module repaired. No doubt the duct would get hotter after a while.

Gina wondered whether she should switch back to her spacesuit’s life support, but decided, at this time, it was not needed. The helmet’s vision, while excellent for space-walking, was not suited to minute repair work.

Gina felt something touch her leg, and looked down to see a stray wire lying across her boot. She reached down to brush it aside, but her hand was stopped halfway there, caught on a thin conduit bundle hanging from the roof of the duct.

She tried to pull her hand free when another wire snaked down, wrapping itself around her wrist. Gina reached for the pistol on her belt when her free hand was caught and pulled away from the holster.

Gina tried to kick free when tendrils of wiring shot out of the ductwork and began wrapping themselves around her limbs, making it harder for her to move. She felt the wires break through the seals of her spacesuit’s joints. They began to run behind her neck, over her shoulders into the spacesuit. She opened her mouth to scream, but instead began to choke as a mass of tightly intertwined conduit blocked her throat. Something wrapped across her eyes, and she saw no more.

---

Daniel glanced across the handful of intact screens that showed the status of the ship’s reactor. Someone had made a few initial repairs after the impact, although it was obvious that they had lacked both the materials and the experience.

The reactor core itself, somewhere on a lower deck, was still running smoothly, albeit on a minimal power output level. The bypass circuitry was suffering from fatigue, and the relay junctions were beginning to show the stresses of overuse. Only five remained out of the original forty that had been built into the reactor’s power distribution system. Moreover, they had not been designed to carry the power requirements for the entire environmental system.

---

For the last two hours Daniel had been doing what he could in the way of rewiring the brittle circuitry, taking some of the weight off of the more fragile junctions so that the environmentals would keep operating.

It was while he was rerouting one of the hundreds of tiny charge capillaries that he heard a slight movement behind him. At first he thought that Salonius had returned from the deck above, where he had gone in search of a parallel cable. When he turned towards the hatch leading to the access ladders the figure occupying the hatchway was a young child.

Daniel guessed she was no more than ten, probably less. Her skin was stained slightly gray with streaks of dirt and grime. All except for the patches on her face and hands where the dirt had been cleaned away. She wore a grimy one-piece coverall, with a faded rectangle where a name tag had once been. She was looking up at Daniel with an expression of patient interest, her eyes crinkled with mirth.

“Who are you?” Daniel asked, when he had finally swallowed the lump in his throat. The child shrugged, as if to indicate that she did not think the question was important.

“You don’t need to be afraid, we’re here to help,” Daniel offered. “Are there more people here?”

“Yes,” the child said in a thin voice that sounded far off.

“Can you take me to them? It’s very important.” The child tilted her head to the side, as if listening to something.

“They’re waiting,” she whispered, “you will see them, real soon.” The child’s voice echoed around the reactor room, melting into a soft background noise that sounded like a faint heartbeat. Daniel spun around as the sound grew louder behind him.

Daniel suddenly lifted his head off of the computer console, and nearly fell from his chair. He glanced from side to side, but found the room empty. The hatchway leading to the ladders was dark, and as he stopped moving and listened he could hear nothing but the low hum of the reactor core below him. His arms had been folded on the console, cradling his head, and he found himself blinking away the haze of sleepy eyes.

He looked briefly at the screen displaying the readouts for the environmentals, visible despite the crack that ran across the glass. Air pressure was still lower than normal, within safe parameters, but perhaps low enough to make him drowsy. He glanced back at the power relays, resolving to speed up the repairs to bring the atmosphere processors up to capacity, so far as was possible.

---

“Col. Lucas, Gina!”

Gina’s eyes suddenly flew open, and she stared up into a ceiling light for a moment, trying to place herself. Then her memory returned and she jerked upright, arms flailing, trying to free herself. However, there was nothing holding her limbs, only a pair of hands on her shoulders. She turned to see Navarchus Longinus, looking concerned, holding her to prevent her from falling off the reclined bridge chair she had been lying on.

“What...” Gina began, then her head turned to look down at the access hatch several yards away, which led to the duct she had been working in. “In there,” she began again, trying to order her thoughts a bit better.

“It’s all right,” Sempronius said, “you just took a minor electrical shock. No serious damage though, nothing to worry about.” Gina stared blankly for a moment before Sempronius continued. “One of the modules overloaded and discharged through the plasma grid,” he explained, “it knocked you out, and your spacesuit auto-sealed and triggered my alarm. You’ve been unconscious for about an hour.”

“I remember wires,” Gina said weakly, “something attacked me. Wasn’t there anything in that duct?”

“Nothing, you’re fine.”

Gina thought for a moment, feeling the memories slipping away, becoming distant and vague, just like a dream. She looked down at her spacesuit, and found the joint seals intact, never having been broken.

“The ship’s log is back online, along with the recorder,” Sempronius continued. “There are entries going forward almost twenty years after this ship was hit by the asteroid.”

“After? The crew survived?”

“It seems so. A lot of the data is corrupted beyond retrieval, but there’s enough to piece together a rough scenario. As Salonius and myself surmised this is a colony ship from Earth, what Earth however, remains unknown. I checked the historical database and was able to retrieve a portion of this ship’s history.

“It seems they were transporting colonists from Earth to one of their more distant colonies, but the exact flight plan is missing. The strange thing is that when I referenced their historical database this ship was launched from a Provincae Lacus Magni. I cross referenced it with a map I found. This ship was launched from what would be the Great Lakes of your North America, specifically the State of Michigan, Colonel.”

“How is that possible? Terra never had a ship full of Romans launch from the former state of Michigan in the defunct United States of America.” Gina said in evident confusion.

“Not to mention they are not Romans from Roma Mater,” Sempronius added.

“That is a mystery that will have to wait for now,” Gina grumbled. “Right now we need to find out if there are any survivors.”

“Right,” Sempronius grunted in agreement. “During the trip they were attacked by those werewolf aliens, who were being led by the dragon-thing, where the ship’s system drive was damaged. They were able to drive off the attackers, but they drifted for something like six months until the ship was struck by the asteroid that wedged itself into the hull. About a quarter of the passengers survived, along with some of the crew, enough to patch up life support, where they continued to drift in Sol’s Oort cloud.”

“But twenty years?” Gina asked, “how could they last that long?”

“I’m not sure,” Sempronius answered, “but there are a few references to expeditions for supplies. I think they tunneled into the undamaged sections of the ship they could reach, and found enough to live on. The recorder entries are more and more infrequent the longer after the impact it gets, it’s more difficult to work out what was happening.”

“Do you think there may still be survivors here?”

“I don’t know,” Sempronius said, glancing around the auxiliary bridge. The date codes on the ship’s log are almost eight thousand years old, another anomaly to solve at a later date. Salonius and Dr. Martin are scouting the perimeter of the habitable zone still with an atmosphere for access to other sections. We’ll see, eventually, if there are any signs of life.”

---

Twenty decks below them, Salonius edged around a corner with caution. He had not become a Fumum Vendere by assuming the best of an unknown situation. Never-the-less he was increasingly of the opinion that the ship has not been inhabited for more than a couple of millennia. Everywhere he looked he saw layers of dust, and no sign of recent movement.

Ancient systems had been repaired, and then simply left to fall back into inactivity as decay set in. Machines that had broken down had no longer been stripped for parts and materials. Useful equipment lay connected to burned-out power sources. He had seen - once or twice - the aftermath of ships set adrift. When there were survivors, every failed system was cannibalized to keep other systems working, no effort was spared to keep the ship running for as long as possible.

Here, once, this had happened, but at some point it seemed as if all of this activity had stopped, and the ship was left to itself. Salonius would have supposed that the survivors finally died, were it not for the fact that, amongst the dozens of rooms he had checked, cabins, stores, common rooms, and equipment bays, he had found no sign of their bodies.

While he moved his shadow was cast by the dim emergency lights that lit the corridors. As he moved on the light streamed back in his place, but the shadows did not entirely vanish. Instead they swirled after him, vague half-patterns on the walls and floor, merging with each other, becoming darker the further he went into the ship. As he paused, outside an airlock, they drew themselves up behind him, flowing up the wall and onto the ceiling. Thin tendrils of darkness reached out towards Salonius.

“Navarchus,” Salonius said into his comm unit. The shadows dissolved in an instant, like a mist broken by sunlight.

“Go ahead Salonius,” the answering voice said. Salonius was peering through the airlock’s grimy viewport.

“I’m at an airlock twenty decks down, search grid A-twelve. I think I’ve found where the survivors went.” He heard Sempronius’ reply, although he continued to stare through the airlock viewport at the tunnel that had been bored through the solid rock of the asteroid beyond, lit by light panels bolted to its roof, stretching away beyond vision into the heart of the asteroid.

DeletedUser

---

“Four hundred yards,” Daniel called out, his eyes were firmly fixed on his probe, which was silently mapping the tunnel as the four ventured further into the asteroid. Several shafts had branched off the tunnel, some fallen in or purposefully sealed off, but Daniel’s curiosity led him to continue ahead.

Light was coming from in front of them, edging around the bends in the tunnel like a mist, quite obviously different to the dim, cold glow of those light panels that still functioned in the ceiling of the tunnel.

Salonius, leading, turned the corner with his laser rifle at the ready. The probe was having some trouble scanning ahead, and despite a continuing lack of any sort of life signs he knew well enough to remain cautious.

For a moment Salonius’ eyes darted about, searching for any targets, then his mind caught up and with him and his trained battle stance, learned so well it was an instinct, vanished. His laser lowered, and he merely stared ahead, eyes raised slightly.

Daniel checked for a moment, but seeing no sign of danger he quickly joined Salonius where the tunnel made a sharp turn. He too looked ahead, then up. “What the heck is this place,” he whispered to himself in confusion.

Daniel took a step forward, as if to make sure he was not staring into some illusion. Ahead of him, above him, stretched a great city. Brilliant light shone from above, artificial, but it had the color and warmth of sunlight, down onto towers and domes linked by thin bridges.

Lower down, the light reflected off of the buildings, shining amongst the forests that rose between them, here and there glittering from the surface of a lake. Daniel, a step ahead of Salonius and the other two who had finally joined them, stood on a platform fifty yards from the ground.

It was joined to one of the city’s walkways by a long, curving ramp that followed the slight curve of the wall. From this, and the look of the false sky above, Daniel knew the place was contained in a dome, but he could not see the other side, even in gaps between the nearest of the towers.

“This must be an old asteroid generation-ship,” Daniel said, quickly adjusting his probe, “there are fragments of records about them from before world war three. A few were sent out by the old US and PRC.”

“No wonder they stopped bothering with the repairs back on the derelict,” Gina said, walking to the edge of the platform and leaning over the rail, looking down onto the edge of a thriving garden dotted with taller trees, “why bother, when everything they could have wanted was right here?”

“Still no signs of life,” Daniel said.

Sempronius had been about to ask, and was pleased to see that the Terran civilian was comfortable with the equipment, and his duties, he had provided, in the face of the unexpected spectacle. “Power readings, low-level bio-signs from the plant life, all normal for a comparable artificial environment,” Daniel went on, “everything seems to be as it should be.”

“However, there are no people,” Sempronius said scratching his head in wonderment. He had been visually scanning the towers and domes, searching for any sign of movement, and had found nothing.

“Perhaps they all died?” Salonius suggested, “after all, it has been thousands of years.”

“Perhaps,” Gina agreed, “but if they’re all dead, I want to see the graves, so-to-speak. Let’s go.” Quickly resuming their patrol formation the four moved down the ramp and into the city.

The scattered trees, which seemed to be placed for their aesthetic value rather than their oxygen generation capability, gave way to a wide avenue, paved in light gray tiles that had the appearance of marble. Although, Daniel had seen such a material before and knew it to be synthetic.

The avenue led between the first low buildings and domes, towards one of the higher towers. Just before reaching the base of the tower it split in two, traveling to either side of a shallow pool surrounding a fountain, which, in defiance of age, still slowly circulated the water. Nowhere was there any sign of human or alien life, nor any sign that there had ever been any.

“Daniel,” Gina said as the four reached the other side of the fountain’s pool, where the towers base opened in a low, wide archway, “if this place is truly a generation-ship there will be a terminal to the main memory core in each building. Find it and download all of the information you can.” Daniel nodded and unhooked his probe from his belt, following Gina into the archway. Salonius glanced up at the tower and then followed.

Sempronius was about to do likewise when he felt as if he had heard something behind him. Turning, he realized it was an absence of sound that he had noticed, the fountain had run dry. He looked at it for a moment, wondering if its timing was mere coincidence.

He stared as the outlets of the fountain filled again, this time unmistakably with blood, thick and so dark as to be almost black. The first droplet fell into the water below, quickly dispersing in a thin red slick, reaching out across the sparkling surface of the still water.

Sempronius blinked, and it was gone. His ears again heard the trickling sound of the water, issuing from the fountain clear and untainted. He closed his eyes for a moment and then looked again, but again there was nothing. He retrieved his probe and began to scan the water as Salonius returned to see what had delayed him.

“Problem, Navarchus?” Salonius asked.

Sempronius frowned as the probe gave every indication that the fountain pool was without anomalies. “I don't know,” he said after hesitating, “I may have imagined it, but I could have sworn there was blood in the water, for a moment.”

Salonius frowned and looked into the clear water, but he knew better than to doubt Sempronius’ word.

“Perhaps nothing,” Sempronius continued, “but be on the lookout anyway.”

---

Daniel had already located a data terminal and had begun the long task of raiding the generation-ship’s remaining memory archives. “A lot of its data files are missing,” he explained, “navigation, flight records, are all gone.

"I think there may have been more of these domes in the original ship, but this was the only one to survive the impact with the derelict. The others were either destroyed outright or lost too much of their support machinery to sustain themselves.”

“Did the survivors from the derelict live here?” Gina asked.

Daniel looked uncertain for a moment. “I think so,” he eventually said, “however, I don’t know what happened to them. The maintenance records show a lot of systems being brought to full activity at the same time. Lighting, internal heating, oxy-generation, all the systems that can be switched to low power while people aren’t living in an artificial environment. I think that’s when the survivors found this place and started living here. Then, for some unknown reason, it all shut down again.”

“However, this place is operating at full capacity now, isn’t it?” Sempronius asked. “There’s full daylight outside, all of the buildings are heated, the atmosphere’s perfect for humans as well as the plants.”

“I know,” Daniel said hesitantly, “but according to the power traces all the support systems have been on full capacity for no more than a few weeks. Before that it was saving power, just like it had until the survivors from the derelict found it.”

“That’s highly unusual,” Gina thought out loud, “I don’t like this. So, let’s assume that the dome’s reactivation coincided with it being found by the Hudson. What does that tell us?”

“Perhaps some sort of life suspension system,” Daniel offered, “perhaps the people here used cryo-freezing, or something like it, and our approach triggered the reactivation and woke them up, but then they should be here waiting, and since they are not, where are they?”

“Moreover, they would have had no way of knowing we were nearby,” Gina offered, “we haven’t found any sort of sensor systems that could detect a ship outside the asteroid.”

“There are rumors and stories of... things, that can come through the Gates of Apollo and live in the dark between the stars,” Salonius said warily, “things that supposedly live there and in hyperspace.”

“We would have been attacked already,” Daniel said with caution filling his voice.”

“Perhaps we already have been attacked,” Gina speculated, “psychically. I thought the memory databank’s control console had come alive. Navarchus, you said you saw blood in the water outside for a moment.”

“Yes, I thought I saw the fountain bleeding,” Sempronius said, nodding his head in agreement, “but it wasn’t real. Was it?” Gina shook her head no.

“While I thought I saw one of the crash survivors when I was repairing life support,” Daniel said. “I thought I had fallen asleep and dreamed the whole thing.”

“What if all of this is someone, or something, trying to get into our minds?” Salonius asked.

“And we have been going deeper into the ship and asteroid this whole time,” Gina suddenly stated. “No more. There aren’t any people here, not anymore, and we’re leaving this charnel house.

"Salonius, take point, full probe scans the whole way. Daniel, I want you to look for any energy that could be psychic, no matter how remote the chance. Stop the download of the generation-ship’s memory core; we will take whatever data we already have. Let’s move.”

Salonius was on his feet in an instant, suddenly seeming more alive now that the mysteries had been put aside. Daniel uncoupled his probe from the data terminal and began adjusting it to scan for psychic energy, as best as it’s limited sensors could. He followed Gina, with Sempronius covering them from behind. As soon as Salonius reached the archway leading out of the tower the dome’s light dimmed and vanished.

“We will call that a confirmation of your theory, Col. Lucas,” Sempronius said, sarcastically, as the four of them activated the forward-facing spotlights built into their spacesuits. Salonius reached the edge of the pool of water and stopped, motioning for Daniel to come forward. Beyond the Fumum Vendere, bathed in the light from his spacesuit, was a small child, seemingly standing on the surface of the water.

“Daniel,” Gina hissed. The young Terran directed his probe at the child.

“Reading nothing there, Gina” Daniel whispered in return, “but that’s the child I dreamed of before.”

“Who are you?” Gina asked, raising her voice. The child smiled faintly, looking at each person in turn before her eyes settled back on Gina.

The child opened her mouth, her voice a whisper that barely carried across the distance between them. “We are Legion, and we are this place,” she said, “we discovered it and made it our own, and in time it took us in. We were many, but we became one.”

“What do you want from us?” Sempronius asked.

“We are hungry,” the child whispered, with a small smile on her lips. She raised a hand, and darkness flooded out of it, enveloping the four of them before they could react.

DeletedUser

Sempronius found his surroundings melting away, and finally there was nothing. He tried to raise his laser pistol, but found his hand empty. His laser rifle, gladius, and even his spacesuit was gone.

Before him was the derelict, a massive continent of steel and ice. As he looked on its surface twisted and bulged, forming a gigantic face, itself composed of hundreds, thousands of tiny faces, all writhing silently, screaming without being heard. The derelict rose up like an ancient ogre, metal and ice forming the outlines of huge shoulders and arms; where it reached out an enormous claw towards the defenseless Navarchus. He closed his eyes.

“A spiritu sanctu,” Sempronius whispered soundlessly, “Domine Omnipotens, from the lightning and the tempest, may you deliver us.” Sempronius felt the massive fingers close around him, pressing against him. “From plague, deceit, temptation, and war, may you deliver us!”

The metallic hand began to crush him, but at the same time the sensation was changing, the rough, cold texture of the giant’s hand was melting away. “From the scourge of the Nephilim, may you deliver us!”

The hand closed tighter, but the pressure seemed to fade away. Sempronius found that, instead of the crushing claw, he was feeling the comforting, familiar touch of his spacesuit’s inner surface, with its thousands of tiny feedback sensors.

“From the blasphemy of the Shining One - mortuus diabolus, nec deus, nec arch angelus - may you deliver us!” Once again he felt the reassuring weight of his pistol in his grip. He opened his eyes.

“From the begetting of demons,” Sempronius said aloud, advancing through the shallow water towards the child, who fell back with every step, “may you deliver us!? Gathering his breath he shouted out the final portion of the battle cry of the Quo Generi Ieshua - the sons of Ieshua - “Libera me ex mortuis, Domine Omnipotens! Dum veneris iudicare! Domine, Libera me! Libera me! Libera me!!” *

Sempronius raised his laser pistol and fired. The child vanished, her image being whipped into nothing, like mist, as the bolt passed through her and blew the center out of the pool’s fountain behind her. Sempronius turned to see the other three recovering, raising their weapons again.

“Psychic vampires, fight them,” Sempronius said, leading the four of them away from the tower, “they will attack in your mind, so fight them there. Pray to whatever God you believe in, but remember the Gods, and be protected by your faith.”

A roar echoed through the darkness and the quartet suddenly heard the sounds of movement all around them, growing ever nearer. “And for everything else,” Sempronius continued, “as you Terrans so eloquently put it, let’s lock, , and get ready to rock.” He said as he flipped the charge selector on his laser rifle to the semi-auto position.

No sooner had Sempronius said this than a shape lunged at him, slashing wildly with clawed appendages. Training and instinct took over and he sent a bolt into the creature’s head without a thought. His spotlight revealed the headless carcass of a wolfman alien for a moment, then it vanished like a cloud of smoke, dispersing into nothing.

Sempronius readied another magazine for his rifle in one hand, while firing again at a second shape running towards him, zig-zagging in and out of the beam of his spotlight. Laser fire sounded on both sides of him as the four of them came under attack from all manner of creatures, all of the worst things imaginable, drawn from their worst nightmares.

Sempronius seated the magazine into the well on the rifle, and then drew his gladius and pushed forward, stabbing with his sword at the creatures ahead of him, driving them back as his companions fired round after round into the things that clawed at them from the shadows on either side.

Reaching the edge of the ramp leading out of the dome, Sempronius sheathed his gladius and pulled his laser pistol from its place beneath his rucksack. Bracing the rifle against his elbow he fired both rifle and pistol, cutting a path through the shapeless things that poured down the ramp towards him.

Gina was on one side of him, slamming a new magazine into her pistol and firing back to cover Daniel and Salonius as they started up the ramp. The Fumum Vendere was clearing the way with his laser rifle while Daniel fired down into the creatures scrambling towards their rearguard. Sempronius slapped a hand onto Gina’s shoulder, sending her up the ramp and then followed, rifle firing as he reloaded his pistol one-handed.

By the time he reached the beginning of the tunnel, where its light spread onto the edge of the ramp, his rifle was empty. As he raised his pistol Salonius stepped up beside him and lowered his laser, cutting away the ramp a few yards behind them, causing a section to collapse down into the dark forest below.

“If they’re trying to look like those manwolf creatures,” Salonius yelled out to Daniel over the noise of Gina and Sempronius clearing the tunnel ahead of them, “they can’t fly!”

Daniel saw that, indeed, the creatures behind them had been slowed, some overbalancing and tumbling into the darkness, others trying to leap the gap. A thing shaped like a Caribbean pirate from centuries before, landed a gauntlet on the edge of the ramp, its hand warping to keep its grip. Salonius stepped forward and slammed the barrel of his rifle into its fingers, sending it backwards into the dark, its shape began to twist as it tried to stretch itself out for reach him.

Daniel and Salonius backed into the tunnel as Sempronius and Gina pushed forward. Daniel replaced Gina in the front, confident that she and Salonius would be able to hold the things behind them at bay while they moved away from the generation-ship.

In the tight confines of the rock tunnel the numbers of the beasts could not come into play, and they were cut down more easily by the quartet’s weapons. It was as they were starting to progress forward at a faster pace that Sempronius felt a pressure in his mind again.

“They’re trying the mind games again,” Sempronius called out, “have faith! For the Gods!” He began reciting the Sons of Ieshua’s battle-prayer over and over in his mind. To his side Daniel, whose eyes had gone wide for a moment at something his mind had seen, grimaced and continued pouring laser fire into the shapes ahead of them.

Sempronius noticed his lips silently moving, and recognized the shapes made by some sort of prayer to a God called Jesus, not realizing they were praying to the same god. He glanced back for a moment, seeing Salonius and Gina still keeping up their rearguard.

“Navarchus,” Daniel called out, and Sempronius turned back to see a giant shape blocking their path. It seemed composed of everything he had ever felt fear at the sight of, from the shapes of a hundred monsters to the insane glare in the eyes of a fanatic or a dark cultist. He motioned for Daniel to stay back, and drew his gladius once again.

“No good,” Sempronius growled out, “we won’t fall for your mind tricks again.” He felt the pressure in his mind and saw the creature trying to reach out to him, but its mental claws rebounded off of the prayer reciting itself endlessly in his mind. Then it warped, twisting into a new shape. Sempronius gasped in recognition as it became almost human, its face a macabre caricature of evil, but one he remembered.

When he had seen the face before it was a Human, possessed by a Siliconate, something he had not seen since his stint in the Siliconate war. It tried again to frighten him, probing through his mind for old nightmares, but again it could not break through the prayer, and this time he had a weapon to answer it as anger welled up and flooded back down the mental link it had opened.

“Bad move,” Sempronius growled, raising his gladius. As it thrust towards the creature its eyes, for just a moment, showed fear. Then it was gone, its severed head dissolving before it hit the ground.

“Come on,” Sempronius said to the others, realizing that the sound of laser fire had stopped, “they must be getting weaker the further away we get. Remember your prayers.” He strode forward, scanning the tunnel for further signs of movement, but finding nothing. Salonius and Gina kept watch behind them. Although, apart from the occasional, weak pressure in their thoughts nothing further reached for them.

Gina was last through the airlock back into the derelict, sealing it behind her.

Sempronius silently reached out a hand to Salonius, taking the laser and turning it to its lowest beam setting. He quickly welded the airlock shut, then paused and raised the barrel to point just below the grimy porthole looking through the doorway. He carefully burned a triple-pointed star into the metal, each point ending in a tiny crescent, the Terran symbol for Quarantine.

“Let’s get out of here,” Gina said, as Sempronius handed the laser back to Salonius.

Gina had the Fumum Vendere burn the same symbol into the airlock leading into the ship from the vacuum-opened portion of the derelict.

Sempronius paused for a moment, regarding the desiccated corpse of the technician, floating motionless in his corner of the room. He retrieved a tiny vial from a pouch on his belt, opening it to let a few drops of water out, and watched as they floated in perfect spheres, splashing on the millennia’s-old dead man like tiny raindrops in the desert.

“Ieshua watch over you,” Sempronius said, touching his forehead, chest, and then his shoulders in the age-old gesture invoking his deity. Daniel echoed the gesture, then, one by one, they filed out of the chamber, heading back to the ship.

Far beneath them, on the airlock sealing the tunnel through the asteroid, a shadow passed across the metal. When it had gone the surface was clean, no trace of the symbol burned into it. Beyond the hatch, the lights in the tunnel died one by one, and the asteroid was once again lifeless, waiting.

* The translation is as follows: Free me from death, All-powerful Lord! Until your loving judgement! Lord, Free me! Free me! Free Me!

This tale is told.

Comments are most welcome.

The Colonel

DeletedUser

This story is a bit different. Tanks VS Mechs. :D

The Colonel

EDIT: Post removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser35174

Mate why dont you join us at the RP section, you obviously like writing.

DeletedUser34315

I really liked the tank one. Have you ever considered doing a full scale book? There's a lot of hinted backstory here, with the draugir having fur, apparently usually winning the war, and the news that the friendly sentients have almost all green troops- it'd be an interesting book.

DeletedUser

I really liked the tank one. Have you ever considered doing a full scale book? There's a lot of hinted backstory here, with the draugir having fur, apparently usually winning the war, and the news that the friendly sentients have almost all green troops- it'd be an interesting book.

There is quite a bit of this story to go.

As a matter of fact, I have done up a novel or two based in this universe. I have a very vivid imagination. :D

The Colonel

DeletedUser34315

Have you published them? I'd read them, if they're as great as your short stories.

DeletedUser

Have you published them? I'd read them, if they're as great as your short stories.

Yes I have. However, I do not like to self-promote, I consider doing that as tasteless and unbecoming, so if you are interested I will PM you with the details. Let me know if you are still interested. :)

The Colonel

DeletedUser

I apologize, but this story was not completed yet and I just noticed a plot hole you could drive a tank through. :blink:

I will fix it and then re-post the story. Thanks for all comment so far. :)

The Colonel