The Chains of Arunsia

• Thread starter Deleted User - 819397
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Melk leapt at Varus, holding his falchion. Threut was about to step in between them when Varus disarmed the youth.
"He's in shock...severe shock. I'd try to help, but it appears I'm only making the situation worse. Would one of you mind trying to coax him out of it?"
The woman stepped forwards and took Melk to one side. "I will go and help." He said, moving over to the pair.
"I'm scared Carolyn...Am I going to die?"
"Everybody dies Melk. It is just a matter of time. Indeed there are those who say that life and death are the the only truths. But you can't let that thought hinder you. We are all in this together, there is nothing we can do to change what has happened. Instead we must focus on moving forwards together to seek answers." He spoke kindly. That should do the trick.

DeletedUser28032

"I don't like him Carolyn...he wants to burn us black, I don't want black they hurt, hurt worse than fire" She whispered back in reply her eyes never leaving Varus as she did so.
However before either herself or Carolyn could voice any opinions contrary of the groups the young boy; Melk came charging out from the back of the group, falchion held high only to be felled by the purple creature albeit non-violently.
Following Carolyn if only to keep her human shield nearby Gilly helps her lift Melk from off of the ground only half listening as Varus tried to once again convince them of his good intentions though did little to calm the boy who looked on the verge of tears "Stop whimpering boy! if you stick with us you'll be fine... now don't cry in front of Johnny Blackhand’s or he'll eat you" she whispered rather harshly, moments before Threut added his own banal existential ravings "For fraks sake even Gale can sugar coat things!" she snaps at the man suddenly feeling rather angry "...besides only the good die young"
Leaving Melk in the care of the others she strides up towards Varus though being sure to stop well out of his reach before speaking to him "Ok Johnny Blackhand’s hand it over, that’s ours no sharing nah-ah and I wants it back pronto" she says pointing at Melk's falchion "Give us back his shiny sword you purple Meany and then we'll go to your magic cave...but no black burning goo or vroom...Gilly's gone, ok?"

DeletedUser35174

Jack was too late to stop Melk from attacking Varus. Luckily Varus Disarmed the young man without causing much harm. Varus then gave a speech about how he disarmed Melk and how he would've killed them from a distance before announcing himself. Carolyn talked to Melk to keep him calm, All the while Jack kept staring at the gem in Varus headband. Then Carolyn strode out towards Varus demanding to have Melk's weapon back. Jack stared at Varus and once he made eye connection he nodded his gently.

Deleted User - 819397

Varus turned toward the calmer of the two women as she asked after his name again. He was about to reply when a different member of the group approached and asked if the gem King Drashk had was turning him to gold, just as Varus' was turning him to amethyst. For the first time, the corrupted being looked unsure of himself. "Drashk has a...gem...like mine?" he asked, horror-stricken. "Oh, that's bad. Very, very bad...I suppose I should have expected it, but still..." He looked up. "I can only guess what Drashk's gem is doing to him...as for mine, it's not spreading the corruption, but rather preventing it from making any more progress." He held out his arm, pointing at the newest tendril of the black substance attempting to crawl further up his body, then retreating. "It would have claimed me long ago if I hadn't found the...gem." The less stable woman then approached, dressed in a manner Varus hadn't seen before. She half asked, half demanded for the falchion back, then mentioned that she'd go to his cave, so long as he kept the black goo away. Flipping the blade so that the handle pointed toward the woman, he gave the weapon back, then added, "if you're referring to the corruption, even if I wanted to, which I don't, I can't spread this stuff...it's just a part of me. And my name isn't Johnny, it's Varus, which I believe was your question answered?" he asked, looking towards the first woman to approach. "Now then, are we ready to head over to my temporary dwelling?"

DeletedUser13682

Good job being helpful, Threut, thought Carolyn sarcastically. "Don't listen to him, Melk,"Carolyn told the teen. "This guy will help us stay alive. We'll make a life out here, all of us." Before purple man could answer, he was interrupted by Gilly demanding Melk's weapon back, throwing in a few slurs. He then answered Artemis's question about the gem, but how did he know what King Drashk's gem did? Carolyn didn't get her question answered until purple man corrected Gilly. "Varus? You're Varus? By Eris, what happened to you?"

Apelatia

Melk was confused. He had...done something? All he could remember was running away... Now the lady...Carolyn was her name...was telling him something about a guy that would help them stay alive...He didn't have a clue what she was talking about. Noticing that Gilly had taken his falchion, though he didn't know how she had come into possession of it, he stretched his right arm out and asked, "Gilly...Why do you...have my falchion?" Unsure of what to say next, Melk stood up from his slouched position, and looked around to try to see who the group was talking to. Suddenly he noticed the purple guy. He appeared to have things running up his body, only to be stopped by an invisible force, which pushed them down again. What a strange being he mused. Trying to calm his jolting nerves, he looked at the man and said "Hello...I'm M...m...melk..."

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Artemis listened as Varus responded to his question. So the gem holds back the corruption. Maybe the king was also being corrupted. "Yes, I think we should go with Varus." Artemis said, leaning on his glaive. Then something unexpected happened. One of the other dreamers, Carolyn recognized the man by name at least. Artemis frowned. "Did you see him in your dream?" He said looking over at her. "If Carolyn saw you in a dream then we really should hear you out."

Deleted User - 819397

Varus froze as Carolyn asked what had happened to him. His solid purple eyes betrayed nothing, but his jaw working silently did. He was silent for a good while, then finally spoke up. "Let's go to my temporary dwelling," Without waiting for a reply he started walking in the direction of the cave, not looking back to see if they were following. I know some of the Dreams, from what other Dreamers have told me...but never one where they knew my name. How did that happen?

DeletedUser28032

Gripping the Falchion's handle she takes it from Varus whilst doing her best not to touch the corruption covering his hands the terrifying images of her dream still vivid in her mind.
Despite what he said she still didn't quite trust him though it didn't stop her from saying "Thank you" Gale had always told her to be polite and had backed it up with fists a couple of times but that was only for her own good.
Turning her back on the purple skinned being she returns to where Melk and Carolyn were stood, the seemingly dazed boy asking why she had his weapon, the harlequin giving a derisive snort before answering him "Because I asked for it" rolling her eyes at the stupid question and ridiculously simple answer as she carefully positioned the blade behind her back next to the sword she'd recently acquired. Dressed in red and black harlequins motley complete with make up she must have looked one hell of a sight with two blades crossed behind her back and a large knife at her hip, the very thought causing her to briefly giggle.
Upon hearing Carolyn ask what the hell had happened to him Varus suddenly went rather strange...well...more strange than usual, simply stating that they should follow him back to where he was staying "Yay, did you hear that Carolyn? Johnny Blackhand’s taking us to his magical cave" she spoke excitedly to the other woman "Maybe if we're lucky something will eat us along the way!"

DeletedUser13682

"He was," she answered Artemis's question absentmindedly. There were more important things to think about. Like why did Varus act so strange at the question? Whatever the reason, she wouldn't find out here. The way to safety was walking away, and not slowly. Before she could follow, Gilly told Carolyn of her excitement at heading to Varus's cave and her hope that they would get eaten before then. "No, Gilandria. Getting eaten is unlucky. I'd rather stay outside a monster's stomach." With that said, Carolyn hurried after Varus, catching up to him after a bit. "Varus, wait. The Far East. What happened there? How long ago was that?"

Deleted User - 819397

It appeared the group was following him. Varus was glad...he needed them. However, it appeared that his attempts to get them to believe him had been less successful than the fact that the sane woman recognized him from her Dream. It was as he was thinking this that the very woman caught up to him, pressing him with questions about what happened in the Far East. Varus spun around, his face and voice tight with obvious emotional pain. "Do not ask me again, mortal. If you didn't Dream what happened, someone else did. It happened a millennia ago, and still those days haunt me." He appeared to be about to say more, but then he closed his eyes, something that didn't change his appearance at all, and sighed. "I apologize for snapping...and calling you a mortal. I sometimes forget I too started as a pure human. Still...when you discuss the Dreams with the others...you'll get your answers...just...don't press me. Those were the darkest days of my life, despite the fact they were the last ones I spent in the light." He turned and continued walking. "We're almost there. Come on."

DeletedUser13682

Varus's reaction didn't startle Carolyn, so much as scare the living life out of her (very nearly that is). Carolyn scurried backwards, nearly falling, until she hit a tree, and did fall. A moment later, Varus composed himself, apologizing for his outburst. Still somewhat shocked, Carolyn merely nodded while picking herself off the ground. Dusting herself off calmed her down enough to vocalize again. "I'm sorry, Varus. I shouldn't have asked." And that was it for the conversation. Carolyn followed Varus the rest of the way to the cave, but with a slightly more than reasonable space between them.

DeletedUser

Artemis hastened after Varus and Carolyn. Carolyn talked about somewhere called the Far East. Artemis didn't know what that place was but evidently Varus did and he turned on Carolyn and spoke angrily about how that was his last day in the light and called her a mortal. A man from the time of legend he thought as images from his dream flowed through his memory. Artemis chuckled morbidly. Looking up at the dark sky, perhaps Varus knew the cause of that blight.

Artemis was brought out of his musings as Carolyn, who had backpedaled due to Varus's angry reply, tripped over a tree root and fell. Artemis rushed over to her and tried to help her get up. After doing so he continued to follow the strange man opting to keep his questions to himself as the man might react more violently if he continued to be prodded for questions.

DeletedUser31931

Perran followed directly behind Varus overhearing the conversation. Upon seeing Carolyn fall over he moved to help, but upon seeing that Artemis had her, he carried on. He had questions, but he would save them until he was in the cave, hopefully it would not take too long to reach it.

Apelatia

The entire group seemed to be going somewhere, so Melk decided that it would be best to go with them. He was starting to conjure up a dislike for this Gilly. First, she had acted like weirdo, and now she had...taken his Falchion. How else would he be able to fight? He intended to get his weapon back later, somehow or another....That Gilly would learn NOT to mess with him! Hurrying after the others, Melk heard the noise of a monster afar off. He cringed. What would he do if one came upon him now? He would be helpless...Best get to their destination ASAP, before I get ripped apart by a monster...

As he walked, the purple man seemed to suddenly get angry at Carolyn, causing her to fall over. He didn't want to see Carolyn get hurt...She was the one whom he could trust the most...Melk thought back to his dream...Was the purple guy in it? He didn't think so, but he couldn't be entirely sure...Maybe...Well, anyway, he'd fine out later, when the others shared their dreams, though he didn't intend to share his under any circumstances...

DeletedUser28032

As they began walking through the trees it soon became clear that Varus wasn't happy about something and less than eager to talk about it as his angry outburst caused Carolyn to stumble back in alarm before tripping over tree root. Although she liked the girl she made no attempt to help her up, her only show at kindness was not mocking her as she passed.
Having heard the purple beings outburst and subsequent apology Gilandria suspected that she may know why he didn't want to talk about what had happened to him, in fact after what she had experienced last night she didn't want to talk about it either.

DeletedUser35174

Jack followed the group, hanging back behind everyone else. Carolyn and Varus seemed to have a conversation, Jack couldn't hear it. He watched Melk walk infront of him, the boy was unarmed and in Jack's opinion still in shock. "What were you,...... i mean before the dream. What did you do" He asked him as he moved up a few steps beside him.

Deleted User - 819397

Shortly after Varus' outburst, they came to an unobtrusive opening in a large hill. "Here we are. It's not exactly a mansion, but it serves its purpose." He led the group into the cave, which was larger than it appeared from the outside. There were no comforts to be seen, only a small pile of the aforementioned berries in a corner, multiple skins of water next to them. The corrupted man grabbed the skins, tossing one to each Dreamer, leaving two, one of which he took. "We're a day or so from water. That skin is your own personal supply. If you run out, you can ask the others for more, but if they refuse, it's your own fault. The extra skin is for moments that get truly dire...we don't drink it unless we all run out and need just a couple drops." Inwardly, Varus sighed...he'd collected the water so that he wouldn't be living day to day...that he might actually get to relax for a day or so, but it appeared that wouldn't be happening anymore.

He passed out rations of the fruit as well. Blueberries and blackberries were the fare. "I hope none of you are vegetarians," he commented. "Once we get outside the city's protective barrier the monsters tend to eat anything we'd enjoy, leaving only one source of food...them." He looked at the predictable responses, frustrated. "Oh come on...a lot of them actually taste quite good. Just picture an animal you know of when you're eating it if it bugs you that much."

Once the rations were passed out, Varus waited for a couple minutes so they could eat in peace. Then he cleared his throat and spoke up again. "Ok. You should start discussing your Dreams. Figure out what order they go in, and what you should take away from them. I won't help you during this process...if you can't figure it out on your own, there's no point in me explaining anything else to you...especially not my plan to return the world to light."

DeletedUser31931

Perran stayed silent in appreciation at the cave. He had always thought his house was unnecessarily big and flashy and this proved it to him. It was a simple dwelling, with functionality. All it needed was a decent door. He nodded in thanks to the man as he threw out waterskins, before taking a couple of drops to quench his small thirst. He ate some the of blueberries and blackberries. When the man mentioned that they'd be eating the monsters he was disgusted for a few seconds, the monsters, but that was so low and common. That was his family speaking though he thought, and he was no longer part of his family. He would be fine eating the monsters, he'd just picture himself eating some roast pork. Then he realised something about what Varus had said when he passed out the waterskins. He turned to the man and spoke "You said others. Who do you mean? And how did you fill these in the first place?"

Deleted User - 819397

Varus frowned as Perran asked who he meant by 'others'. "You know, the others in the cave right now. The other Dreamers or myself. We each have one skin...if you use yours up before we get to the next water source, you have to ask one of the others for water, and if they refuse I don't want you getting mad at them. Like I said the nearest source is a day away, so be prepared for that. As for how I filled them...I filled them at the water source I'm talking about." He looked puzzled as to why the former noble had asked that for a moment, then shook his head. "Anyway, the Dreams...the sooner you work it out, the sooner I can explain the rest of what should be explained."