The Chains of Arunsia

• Thread starter Deleted User - 819397
  • Start date

DeletedUser

So he is a monk,took a vow of nonaggression perhaps? He thought to himself as the Harliquin continued to be insane yet showed some sanity in noting the usefulness of Threut's sword and taking it, Odd. "No, I don't think any of us will be killing each other." Artemis said to Threut glancing briefly at Gilandria. "We will need more than just good sword arms to survive out here. We will need all of our ability and just because you won't fight doesn't mean you should do nothing." Artemis finished with a frown as Melk began to run away into the darkness and Gilandria followed walking behind seemingly in a state of lucidity.

Yanking his Glaive out of the ground and tightening the strings closing his pockets, Artemis looked Perran. "I don't know about those objects in the distance being trees but we'll see when we get to them. Anyway I think we should be getting out of here we've been here a while and Melk's sudden panic might give those Grey Guards twitchy trigger fingers." He finished turning away from the others and running after the boy. Hopefully he wouldn't run away too far.

DeletedUser13682

After the rest of the group had introduced themselves (the old man was a hard pacifist), the noble Perran, who was trying to hide his sorrow, suggested they get away from the city before the guards decided to open fire. Melk the teen decided to take that advice, and bolted away from the city, a foolish decision in Carolyn's mind. Gilly Swann ran after him, after showing some clearheadedness, with Artemis following shortly after. Looking at the remaining members of the group, Carolyn shrugged her shoulders. "Well, I guess we shouldn't let them get too far," she said, before walking in the direction the others headed. Carolyn didn't want to run and lose all her energy. And they could be seen in the distance, so there was no need to run.

DeletedUser31931

Perran watched as Melk began to run, if he kept on running, he'd draw attention to himself and get himself killed. So Perran watched as other people left until Carolyn set off, at which point he decided to walk with her. His dream kept on coming back to him in his mind. He tried to banish it, it was what had caused his family to reject him, why he had been kicked out of the city. It must be bad, the dream must be evil. He tried as hard as he could to think about other things, but the dream always came back to him within a few seconds. It was always on his mind as he walked.

DeletedUser

The street performer showed initial intent of eating him, but then suddenly became sane, taking Threut's sword and advising them all to move away from the city. Fascinating. Temporal madness. The youth had already run, panicking. The street performer and one of the men had already moved off. The woman and one of the other men (who looked as if he had something of a noble background) moved away calmly. Threut gestured to the last man, a large hulk of a being, to walk with him.

Deleted User - 819397

The group travelled for a while. It was impossible to judge time by looking at the sky, as the same darkness pervaded everything. Once it was clear that the Grey Guards weren't pursuing them, nor was anything going out of its way to attack them, Melk lost his reason to be running, and the group condensed somewhat. It appeared that the city's proximity was protecting them for the moment. As far as any of them knew, Human's Sanctuary had never been breached, and it appeared that the monsters knew it was foolhardy to lurk too close to the structure. However, as food and water became an issue, the group would be forced to roam further outside the city, as the only water source the city used was right next to it, meaning it was too close for the exiles to use. It turned out the smudges in the distance were trees, although it wasn't so much a forest as a fairly wooded plain. The space between trees meant it couldn't be a proper forest, but there were still quite a few wooden monoliths around.

-------------------

So...I did hear the Dreamhounds this morning...he thought to himself. It appeared that placing himself closer to the city had been worth the risk. He was surprised that they had all Dreamed at once...typically they came in at most pairs. Still, it was easier this way. He only had to get awkward introductions out of the way once. From his perch in one of the trees he couldn't make out features clearly, meaning they wouldn't be able to see him all that well either, which was optimal. He cleared his throat, and began to call out to them in a voice that seemed to echo, which was fairly odd. "Hello there, Dreamers. I mean you all no harm...in fact, I'm probably the last friendly face you'll see out here. The aura that the city emits to keep monsters away is almost nonexistent this far out, meaning travel much further and you'll start to be attacked. Now, I'd be more than willing to help you all, but...how do I put this? My appearance is rather...off-putting. In fact, I've been told I look downright evil. That's understandable, I do...but I promise I have nothing but goodwill towards you. So, I have two proposals. Either you walk about a mile to your right and meet me in the cave I've been living in for the past couple days, where we can discuss over water and berries I've collected, or if you don't trust me, I'll come down and we can talk here, provided you don't attack me on sight. What'll it be?"

DeletedUser35174

Jack held his ground as all the dreamers started running or walking, finally it was him and the old man. He gestured to jack to walk with him, and walk with him he did. After a long walk into the darkness a voice rang. Instinctively jack held his axe tighter and placed it in front of him, ready to swing should the need arise. "Hello there, Dreamers. I mean you all no harm...in fact, I'm probably the last friendly face you'll see out here. The aura that the city emits to keep monsters away is almost nonexistent this far out, meaning travel much further and you'll start to be attacked. Now, I'd be more than willing to help you all, but...how do I put this? My appearance is rather...off-putting. In fact, I've been told I look downright evil. That's understandable, I do...but I promise I have nothing but goodwill towards you. So, I have two proposals. Either you walk about a mile to your right and meet me in the cave I've been living in for the past couple days, where we can discuss over water and berries I've collected, or if you don't trust me, I'll come down and we can talk here, provided you don't attack me on sight. What'll it be?" echoed the voice, impossible to judge where it came from. "Show yourself!" yelled Jack, "We won't harm you...... as long as you don't do anything stupid!" added jack, waiting for a reply as he held his axe with both hands ready to attack if he had to.

Deleted User - 819397

The voice laughed as the large man gave his response. "I wasn't asking you not to attack for my safety, but rather your own. However, I'll infer that you spoke for the group. You honestly don't have much of a choice, seeing as the alternative is turning down possible aid out here." A graceful leap from his tree, and the man landed in front of the group of Dreamers. As he straightened, it was clear why he'd warned them about his appearance. The most obvious thing was his face. It was a dull purple, but that wasn't the disconcerting thing. His eyes were the same color, but lacked an iris and pupil. The small tattoos under his eyes were a very dark purple, continuing the theme. His gray hair was pulled back into a ponytail aside from two tufts, which stuck out in the front. He wore a metal headband, an orange gem in the middle, gleaming slightly of its own accord.

The next thing that grabbed the attention were his arms and legs. While at first glance it looked like he was wearing black pants, boots, and elbow-length gloves, upon closer inspection it was clear that it wasn't clothing. Instead, it was a substance that covered those parts of his body, and it was moving. Tendrils kept curling away from the edges and attempting to climb further up his body, but then returned to the whole. His bare, well-muscled torso was gray in color, the area around his navel the only healthy looking skin on his body. He had more tattoos on his upper arms. A long, red scarf hung behind him.

The man looked around at the shocked expressions of the Dreamers. "I did warn you. Now then, my offer of food and drink still stands. You have no reason to trust me, aside from the fact I haven't attacked you on sight as monsters do, but I promise I won't attack. It'd be a lot more comfortable for all of us someplace less...open." He shrugged. "Of course, if you prefer, we could remain here."

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser35174

"I wasn't asking you not to attack for my safety, but rather your own. However, I'll infer that you spoke for the group. You honestly don't have much of a choice, seeing as the alternative is turning down possible aid out here." Replied the voice. A figure then jumped from a tree as graceful as a cat and landed in front of them. Jack tightened his grip on the axe as he saw the man's appearance. Some sort of substance covered his body and .... it was moving, Jack felt disgusted and in awe at the same time, but it wasn't his skin and his facial features that made jack gawp, it was the metal headband he wore. There was an orange gem in the middle glowing. He remembered seeing the same kinds on the king's crown..."I did warn you. Now then, my offer of food and drink still stands. You have no reason to trust me, aside from the fact I haven't attacked you on sight as monsters do, but I promise I won't attack. It'd be a lot more comfortable for all of us someplace less...open." the figure said, disrupting Jack's thoughts. "Of course, if you prefer, we could remain here.". Jack turned to the group, "Whatever you guys think is best" he said.

DeletedUser31931

Perran stayed silent as the encounter happened. When the man jumped down, Perran took a small step back out of surprise. Then he noticed something, the man had a gem on his head (even if it was a headband) just like the good figure in his dream. However, this man looked nothing like that figure apart from the headband and their hair style and the tattoos under their eyes and on his arms, so perhaps there was some correlation. He looked at the man, Jack as he spoke up saying that the group should decide. "You're part of the group too." he said silently to the man before turning to the figure "I'd rather go to your cave, it's probably safer there. However, I have one question, what is your name?"

Deleted User - 819397

The group began talking amongst themselves to decide if they wanted to go to the man's cave or stay here. One of them turned to him after saying he thought the cave was the better option and asked for his name. He raised an eyebrow. "Typically it's customary to give your own name when asking for another's. However, I suppose my abrupt appearance allows for some lack of courtesy. My name is Varus." He continued to wait for the Dreamers to come to a solid decision.

DeletedUser31931

Perran sighed as the man gave his name, it appeared to not be the man from his Dream. Maybe he could quiz the figure later. In response to what the man said to him he said "My name is Perran, forgive me for not giving it, but I have a small amount on my mind at the moment as you no doubt can guess." his voice was calm and flat, he was emotionally detached again, the hope having drained out of his system. He turned to the group "My vote is out there, that we go with him, what do you think?" he addressed the group in general before waiting for a response.

DeletedUser28032

As the trees slowly materialised out of the gloom before them Gilandria marvelled at their size silently exclaiming these are nothing like the ones in the park as she does so.
Upon hearing the voice calling out to them she stops with the others and drops her hand towards the knife on her belt quietly giving her own opinion to what they should do "I say we attack him on sight and take his stuff" chuckling darkly at the thought as the large man Jack replied on behalf of the group.
The...creature... that appeared before them having leapt from one of the trees was like nothing she'd ever seen before, its purple skinned body coated with a thick tar like substance that instantly caught her eye.
"No, no, no, no....you're not going to take me there!" she babbles taking several steps away from the creature, her eyes wide with terror and her mind once again teetering on the brink "Stay away from me Johnny black hands or...or... I'll cut your legs off!...see how well you dance then!" laughing hysterically she continues to back away up until the point she inadvertently steps on Carolyn's foot at which point she gives a single shriek of fright before whirling around with terror in her eyes and her whole body poised ready to flee. However upon seeing it was only Carolyn she almost immediately calms, giggling madly as she quips "Sorry I didn't realise that you were already wearing these shoes" using the other woman to hide behind she regards the purple creature; Varus nervously, keeping quiet whilst the others talked with it let them its not going to get me...no siree bob...no vengeance wanted here.

DeletedUser

After a while they arrived in a plain scattered with trees. From one of these trees came a voice, questioning whether or not they were prepared to trust it, and offering them food, drink and help. Threut was about to reply when the large man, Jack spoke for the group, and then the voice manifested into a person, which jumped down onto the ground. This person was most curious, with a purple face, no pupils and an ornate headband. And most curiously, what appeared to be living clothing. The nobleman, Perran was next to speak, asking the figure his name, which was Varus. Perran then called upon the group to vote. Ah, excellent, a democracy.
Suddenly the street performer exhibited another fit of madness, calling on Varus to stay away from Johnny Black hands. Curious.
Threut stepped forwards. "My name is Threut Bayn, and whilst I may not be a man of war, I am a man of peace and thought and as such I hold no malice." He said. "Thus I would agree with Perran here, and suggest that we accompany you to your cave."

DeletedUser13682

The group was finally back together after a while of wandering. Shortly after reuniting, the group heard a voice from a nearby tree, offering them help, despite his homely appearance. The strongman ordered the voice to show himself, which he did. What was revealed was like something out of an Eldritch Horror novel. Carolyn was scared stiff, unable to move or react. Carolyn missed most of the conversation as a result of this frightening sight. It wasn't until Gilly stepped on Carolyn's foot that she snapped out of her daze. Gilly apologized for not realizing that Carolyn was wearing her shoes, then proceeded to hide behind her. "Gilandria, everyone else is ok with this newcomer," Carolyn whispered to the woman behind her. "But we don't even know his name. How do we know this isn't some monster trick to lure us into a false sense of security before he slays us?"

DeletedUser35174

"You're part of the group too." said Perran after Jack asked their opinion. for now he thought before Perran asked the figure his name. The figure's name was Varus, then Perran introduced himself not before Gilly had another one of her fits. Jack ignored her and waited for everyone else. The old man, Threut, and Perran wanted to go with Varus. "anyone think we shouldn't go with Varus" said Jack. Personally he didn't mind it either way, if this was a trap and he was to die he'd try his best to fight his way out. For what tho, to come out here and have to fight to live.

Apelatia

Melk had been caught by the group, having eventually run out of strength to keep running forever. He was still petrified though...Especially when a...monster jumped down out of a tree! Thinking frantically, Melk couldn't decide what to do... Should he run for his life, or commit suicide, or something else...? Then, a thought came to him! The best way out of this pickle would be to kill the horrible creature! Making sure no one was looking, Melk drew his falchion from his belt and hid it behind him... He had been standing a little way behind the group, so he had the advantage of surprise. I have to do something...Yes! Kill him. End this misery!!! Convinced that this was the best way to satisfy his jumping emotions, he raised his falchion and charged at the purple thing. Upon reaching him, he took a slice at the creature's lower torso. If he didn't end this now, the creature was surely going to kill the entire group!

Deleted User - 819397

Things seemed to be going well until one of the women freaked out, yelling something about "Johnny Black Hands" The other woman appeared distrul. Varus sighed...he knew resistance would be encountered...his appearance was too off-putting for most people to trust him right away. It was then that the younger boy, lurking in the back, came charging at him, falchion in hand. Frowning, the twisted man took a calculated step to the left, avoiding the clumsy blow. He then reached out and pinched the boy's wrist, forcing it to open, snatching the weapon with his free hand before it hit the ground. "Now really...what in the world did I do to deserve that?" he asked the boy testily, then frowned, looking at his eyes. "He's in shock...severe shock. I'd try to help, but it appears I'm only making the situation worse. Would one of you mind trying to coax him out of it?"

Varus looked over at the pair of women. "You have no reason to trust me, true...but look at it this way. Why announce myself if I was out to get you? Why not kill you from a distance, my personal specialty? Why, when I was attacked without provocation, did I only disarm, and in the least painful way possible? Twice now I've done something that an attacker wouldn't do. What reason, aside from my appearance, do you have to distrust me?" He sighed. "I realize you all are in deep shock...you've been cast out of the only home you've ever known, and in a manner that is essentially an execution without the pain of doing it themselves...and why? Because you Dreamed. You Dreamed of the distant past. The world before it became this way. Particularly, the fall of the world."

He turned away. "Why does this scare the ruler of the city? He recognizes that the Dreams, if widely shared, might cause the people to revolt, and he'd lose control of Human's Sanctuary. If that happened, he'd have to figure out a way to contain the problem. However, that isn't the real problem that he sees in the Dreams. No, he fears them because the Dreams show two things that could prove to be his undoing. What those are...I can't tell you...you need to figure that out for yourselves. So, come with me back to the cave I'm inhabiting at the moment, once you've calmed your friend down. I'll provide food, water, and a safe place to talk and discuss the Dreams. Once you've figured out what the Dreams show, I'll explain more." Varus could have explained it all then, but he knew that giving the Dreamers a safe, relatively easy goal to focus on would help bring them back to reality. That would be key for what was to come.

DeletedUser13682

Why did that boy attack the humanoid? Sure, Carolyn had her reservations about the man, but she wasn't about to attack him. That poor boy was cast out during the time of life where you made stupid decisions. Something like banishment shouldn't have happened to someone that young. Luckily the purple man was very passive in his self defense, only forcing the weapon out of the boy's hand without hurting him.

At the purple man's request, and after he explained himself to Carolyn and Gilly, Carolyn walked over to Melk. "Come on, Melk. He won't hurt us," she told him, while trying to lead him to the back of their group, furthest from the purple man. As Carolyn got close to the purple man, she felt a sense of deja vu; he looked vaguely familiar, but Carolyn couldn't place where she had met him. "Excuse me," Carolyn said, after the purple man had finished talking. "What's your name? I'm sorry if you've already said it, but you startled me, and I missed some of the conversation."

DeletedUser

Melk eventually stopped running allowing Artemis and the group to catch up. Artemis positioned himself near Melk so that he might prevent the boy from doing anything silly again. They had walked an indeterminable time in the usual gloom when a voice rang out in the dark, interrupting Artemis who was trying once again to mentally work out how his father's clock worked. Looking around for the source of the voice Artemis reasoned that it was coming from one of the large trees around them. Following the smith's threats a figure jumped down from one of the trees. The man's face was purple, his outer appendages seemed to be alive but most interestingly he had a metal headband with another gem with inner light.

Pondering the gem on the man's head Artemis became consumed with thought.
King of the haven. A man twice as old as his fellow men. A man of Gold. A man of amethyst. A survivor in the lost world. Fallen men? Old curses? Waiting for dreamers. So many. For good or Ill? The end of utopia. petrification? Living stone? Varus. Johnny Blackhand. cards. No, useless... Home. The Past. The coming of darkness. The end of glory. A woman honored. Living stone. Magic...

Coming out of his thoughts Artemis noticed the Harlequin trying to console a recently unarmed Melk. Ignoring them Artemis approached the man, Varus. "I have a question too Varus. Is it King Drashk's glowing gem that has given him his long life and has begun turning him to gold like how yours appear's to have a link to the changes in your body? Or does his have to do with his link to the dream hounds and grey guards with the gem just keeping his mind functioning?"

Apelatia

Melk cried out as the 'thing' pinched his wrist, causing him to lose control of his weapon, and therefore, any chances of killing the thing, whatever it was. Not really understanding what the thing was blabbering on about, he tried to snatch his weapon back from it, before realising that any attempts would be futile. Then, Carolyn came and tried to reassure him... Struggling to hold back his bursting emotions, Melk whispered to Carolyn, "I'm scared Carolyn...Am I going to die?" Thinking about his recent failed attempt to kill the 'thing,' he pondered about his chances at helping the group at all. If he couldn't kill the 'thing,' then how could he hope to counter any of the real monsters! Why did it have to be me?...