Terrorist Industrial Complex

DeletedUser

Colin Powell, a few years back, warned of creating a self-perpetuating terrorist industrial complex, in much the same way Eisenhower warned of creating a self-perpetuating military industrial complex. Essentially, Powell was discussing setting up the business infrastructure that would encourage the maintenance of terrorism as a threat in order to perpetuate the success of particular industries.

DeletedUser14280

I was hoping this would be an RP when I saw it in the daily posts...

How would you set up an infrastructure dependant on terrorism?
Vital services like food and electricity can't really be linked to terrorism, can they?

DeletedUser

I'll just quote Colin Powell:

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/200709/colin-powell-walter-isaacson-war-iraq-george-bush ~ GQ Magazine Interview
"What is the greatest threat facing us now? People will say it’s terrorism. But are there any terrorists in the world who can change the American way of life or our political system? No. ... The only thing that can really destroy us is us. We shouldn’t do it to ourselves, and we shouldn’t use fear for political purposes—scaring people to death so they will vote for you, or scaring people to death so that we create a terror-industrial complex."
http://hub.ou.edu/multimedia/index.html?bcpid=1155389226&bclid=1155109450&bctid=1182709762 ~ Oklahoma University Video Interview
"We're spending an enormous amount of money on homeland security, and I think we should spend whatever it takes. But I think we have to be careful that we don't get so caught up in trying to throw money at the terrorist and counter-terrorist problem that we're essentially creating an industry that will only exist as long as you keep the terrorist threat pumped up."

DeletedUser5046

hellstrom...can you tell me more abou tis TIC..

are they hiring terrorist or something?

DeletedUser14280

Oh. I think I get it.
It's using terrorism in politics to get the upper hand, right?
"Vote for my legislation, or the terrorists will win" and that sort of thing?

DeletedUser

Hello Angela, read the article and video I linked above. In lay, it is the perpetuation of fear to ensure business, services, and entities remain profitable in the posing of terrorism as a threat. In baser lay, it is a nation, or nations, supporting industries that exist solely, or largely, on the business of fighting terrorism, without respect to necessity.

In other words, we need to make sure we stop, or slow down, in our efforts to battle terrorism when the need is decreased or the threat not as great, and we need to ensure the very institutions we put into place to fight terrorism doesn't maintain or foster terrorism just to ensure those institutions remain viable.

Oh. I think I get it.
It's using terrorism in politics to get the upper hand, right?
"Vote for my legislation, or the terrorists will win" and that sort of thing?

Umm, not quite Celxius. That is only a small part.

Last edited by a moderator: